ahhhhhh hahhhhhhhh ohh ohh

Comments

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    pdalowsky said:

Almost 3 years later and I still think it's the best song off LB

its certianly one of the best, I wonder if Black was released today it would be dismissed as a ballad......(which remains my favourite of their whole catalogue)

As for nothingman, hating on that one absolutely blows my mind
    I don't love Nothingman... :fearful:
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    I find nothing wrong with any of the other ballads.. love nothingman, yellow moon, parachutes, etc.
    but like someone mentioned earlier. the chord progression in Sirens reminds me of some hair metal ballad.
    the music is much too similar to Poison or Slaughter or some of that shit for me.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• shetellsherselfshetellsherself Posts: 8,818
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

I think Sirens studio version is pretty good, but the song just doesn't work live in my opinion. it doesn't sound right live to me. it's missing something live. maybe too fast or too much guitar. i don't know. i just know it doesn't fit live at this time.

I think it doesn't translate well live bc you suddenly realize it really is pj playing that song it its just uncomfortable to be confronted with that reality.

And this is why:
    lolobugg said:

I find nothing wrong with any of the other ballads.. love nothingman, yellow moon, parachutes, etc.
    but like someone mentioned earlier. the chord progression in Sirens reminds me of some hair metal ballad.
    the music is much too similar to Poison or Slaughter or some of that shit for me.

Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    Suziemay said:

pdalowsky said:

its certianly one of the best, I wonder if Black was released today it would be dismissed as a ballad......(which remains my favourite of their whole catalogue)

Wait till we meet again young lady
  • lolobugg said:

I know we have had conversation about these songs before and you hit it on the head for me.
    THIS is why I like Sirens and think Yellow Moon and Parachutes are weak. I love that McMelty still has some 80s Shadow type music flowing through his veins.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Ok, I finally figured out which song Sirens reminds me of..........
    I want to apologize in advance to Mike McCready........

https://youtu.be/jhat-xUQ6dw

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778

pdalowsky said:

Love Nothing Man and Black. Both in my top 10. The "ballads" and slower songs have been unfairly criticized IMO. I think Just Breathe, The End, and Future Days are other good tracks that are dismissed because they are not hard rock. To me it shows a maturation of the band.
    I agree. But funny thing is, they have had slow songs on every album. That's what I love about this band. They have in your face fast songs, medium tempo and slow songs. Almost like their songs fit every mood, at least for me.
  • lolobugg said:

That's how I see it (or hear it, I should say). And that super cheesy intro.. "Hear the Si-ruuuuuuuuunnnssss." No, just... no!
    I have no problem with other ballads. Black, Garden, Indifference, Nothingman, Immortality, Off He Goes, Around the Bend, Wishlist, NAIS, Thin Air, Parting Ways, Thumbing, All or None, Parachutes, Speed of Sound, Just Breathe, Yellow Moon, Future Days, the 2nd disc of Lost Dogs - all excellent songs!
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

lolobugg said:

That's how I see it (or hear it, I should say). And that super cheesy intro.. "Hear the Si-ruuuuuuuuunnnssss." No, just... no!
    I have no problem with other ballads. Black, Garden, Indifference, Nothingman, Immortality, Off He Goes, Around the Bend, Wishlist, NAIS, Thin Air, Parting Ways, Thumbing, All or None, Parachutes, Speed of Sound, Just Breathe, Yellow Moon, Future Days, the 2nd disc of Lost Dogs - all excellent songs!
    Garden a ballad??!?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • lolobugg said:

I know we have had conversation about these songs before and you hit it on the head for me.
    THIS is why I like Sirens and think Yellow Moon and Parachutes are weak. I love that McMelty still has some 80s Shadow type music flowing through his veins.

I love Yellow Moon
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    I was just thinking about this the other day - they didn't play Sirens at Wrigley 2... Maybe the first time since their first Wrigley show in 2013 that they didn't play it! Weird...

I adore the outro...
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited September 2016
    lolobugg said:

Silent Lucidity is a badass song, just like Sirens....I actually think Sirens its on the same level as Black, but it a more mature fashion

as far as Nothingman, I don't know how in the world anyone could diss the power of that song "He Who Forgets, Will Be Destined to Remember" daaaamn!

• Wma31394 said:

lolobugg said:

Garden a ballad??!?
    On the album, yeah, it feels more like a ballad imo. Live, definitely not so much.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    I was a fan of Sirens, but that time has sadly elapsed.

I now associate the opening of that song with the douchebag (has to be a ten club member right?) in the Hampton GA who crowded up on me as uncomfortably as humanly possible, and then moved directly in front of me just to be a total dick just as Sirens began. I sang that shit as loud and off key as possible directly in his ear hole. What a LOSER.

I do like the outro.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,989
    Mark me down as confused/surprised as to why it gets so much hate. It's not a top-10 song for me or anything, but I like it and it's right in the mix with a couple other songs for # 3 on LB (My undisputed top-2 being Getaway and Infallible).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • I don't like Sirens at all. It is my least favorite song on the album.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • For the record, I do like the outro sing-along at shows. If they could just skip the song and do that, that would be fine.
  • djklambakedjklambake Posts: 2,522
    Oh and Nothingman is one of the best songs ever written.
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716

For the record, I do like the outro sing-along at shows. If they could just skip the song and do that, that would be fine.

Just use the outro as a tag
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    pdalowsky said:

Suziemay said:

pdalowsky said:

Wait till we meet again young lady
    We're also gonna have to talk about Last Kiss...Do I need to bring a bodyguard? :lol:
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,482
    I've heard sirens 4 times, and I do like the song but Fenway 2 was the best I've heard them play it. And I love the outro when the crowd gets into it.
    And nothingman was a song I liked. But the song sparked something in me a few years ago, and now I just love it.
    Detroit 2014 was so amazing with release, oceans, and nothingman As the first 3 songs.... So fucking good.
    I would listen to the boot and repeat those songs at least three times over lol.
  • lolobugg said:

I love Yellow Moon
    Yeah, I know that I am upside down on the popularity contest between Sirens and Yellow Moon. I think YM is awful and Sirens is good. Know most feel YM is awesome and Sirens is awful.
    Times played works out better for me - Sirens 71 to YM 25.
  • lolobugg said:

I like this post....it exonerates Poison and Slaughter!
    :rofl::rock_on:
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    here's a video I made a few months back-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1Jsc1zCjU
  • hear the sirens more and more in this here town

no....just no

• KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503

here's a video I made a few months back-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ1Jsc1zCjU

WTF
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • lolobugg said:

:rofl:

I don't like Sirens at all. It is my least favorite song on the album.

^^^^This!

Not hearing it at Wrigley was one of the best parts of the weekend. First time in almost three years that I didn't have to hear it for two whole shows in a row. Made me soooooo happy.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,419

lolobugg said:

But Mike was inspired to write Sirens after seeing Roger Waters in concert. He was trying to write a Pink Floyd-y song, not a metal ballad.
    Hobbes said:

lolobugg said:

But Mike was inspired to write Sirens after seeing Roger Waters in concert. He was trying to write a Pink Floyd-y song, not a metal ballad.
    He Failed

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• CM189191 said:

Salon article from the other today that is relevant to this thread: The Millennial Whoop: The Simple Melodic Sequence That’s Showing Up All Over Contemporary Pop

Saw this article and immediately thought of Unemployable.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!