ANY BAND MEMBER SIGHTINGS IN BEWTEEN SHOWS AT FENWAY?

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    hedonist said:

SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

I had the chance to meet Mike McCready twice at the hotel we were staying at this weekend. The first time I was coming back from dinner on Saturday night, as was he, and we rode up in the elevator together. I tried not to put on too much of a fanboy show, but I thanked him for a great show the night before and told him I've been listening to the band since the beginning.

Mike couldn't have been more gracious and friendly. He went out of his way to shake my hand and asked my name, and I told him how he shredded the solo on comfortably numb the night before. He was saying it has taken a long time to get it just where he wants it to be. I didn't ask for any photos or autographs, I just wanted to chat, and he was the nicest guy you could want to meet, for a guy who probably gets approached by people a dozen times a day. Saw him again on Sunday when we were checking out in the front of the hotel, shook his hand again and wished him luck for another great show. He graciously signed for several fans waiting around at the front of the hotel, before going off on foot like any average Joe on the street. That plus attending two great Pearl Jam shows, pretty much caps things for me.

It's amazing that with all the attention and praise the fellas get, they're just regular guys in person and I think that's outstanding.

I got to meet Mike on Saturday between the shows ... he was in line for the trolley tour. :) Just like you said ... as nice as could be! Firm handshake, looked me in the eye and really seemed appreciative of my support... Even said 'thank you to me. Got a cool pic which his wife (I think) offered to take after i fumbled around with my phone for a few seconds....
    Is that before or after he was getting IV treatment to recuperate from the concert? :)
    Not that he'd necessarily need an IV, but watching Mike's energy and interaction and such generosity of time and spirit toward those who appreciate his and his band's work, it's easy to forget he has a disease that can fuck with you pretty bad.

So I'd imagine time off, for himself or whatever, did him good. Does him good.

And for what it's worth, no hard feelings from here. I completely disagree though :)
    Good point about Mike's Crohn's Disease. But ya know, some people... still think he must not care because neither him nor anyone else from the band showed up. Some don't believe in the need to unplug and recharge between 3+ hour shows. Cuz, ya know, some people think they have all year to do that. ::rolleyes::
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    The very very last thing I did in Boston was....meet Matt!!

My friends and I had just dropped my bf off to do some walking near the start of the Freedom Trail before his flight, and we were headed home to NY. Got in the car, drove around the corner, came to a crosswalk, and had to stop because people were crossing...those people were Matt and his wife! We were floored (and I felt AWFUL for actually having this happen right after we dropped my bf, a huge PJ fan as well, off!), and were able to say a quick hello and get a quick picture. He was very gracious, and it was such a cool moment! Even if I look awful in the picture :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    edited August 2016
    hedonist said:

SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

I had the chance to meet Mike McCready twice at the hotel we were staying at this weekend. The first time I was coming back from dinner on Saturday night, as was he, and we rode up in the elevator together. I tried not to put on too much of a fanboy show, but I thanked him for a great show the night before and told him I've been listening to the band since the beginning.

Mike couldn't have been more gracious and friendly. He went out of his way to shake my hand and asked my name, and I told him how he shredded the solo on comfortably numb the night before. He was saying it has taken a long time to get it just where he wants it to be. I didn't ask for any photos or autographs, I just wanted to chat, and he was the nicest guy you could want to meet, for a guy who probably gets approached by people a dozen times a day. Saw him again on Sunday when we were checking out in the front of the hotel, shook his hand again and wished him luck for another great show. He graciously signed for several fans waiting around at the front of the hotel, before going off on foot like any average Joe on the street. That plus attending two great Pearl Jam shows, pretty much caps things for me.

It's amazing that with all the attention and praise the fellas get, they're just regular guys in person and I think that's outstanding.

I got to meet Mike on Saturday between the shows ... he was in line for the trolley tour. :) Just like you said ... as nice as could be! Firm handshake, looked me in the eye and really seemed appreciative of my support... Even said 'thank you to me. Got a cool pic which his wife (I think) offered to take after i fumbled around with my phone for a few seconds....
    Is that before or after he was getting IV treatment to recuperate from the concert? :)
    Not that he'd necessarily need an IV, but watching Mike's energy and interaction and such generosity of time and spirit toward those who appreciate his and his band's work, it's easy to forget he has a disease that can fuck with you pretty bad.

And for what it's worth, no hard feelings from here. I completely disagree though :)
    The IV was just a joke because people thought they would be too tired for a 10 minute hello but they aren't too tired to go sightseeing. I know they work hard up there on stage. People in this thread think I'm suggesting they spend four hours handing out guitar picks and saying hello to everyone there.

I don't see why it is so strange to think that someone in the band might want to go visit a gathering of their fan club members. Apparently it is unheard of and unrealistic. If it is so unrealistic that the band would want to acknowledge their fans, than maybe they don't care for their fans as much as they say they do. I didn't think that when I first posted, but based on everyone's responses that the HOB would be the last place they would expect PJ to be than I can't come to any other conclusion than they don't want to spend time with fans. Listen to yourselves people.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366
    Sometimes I can't believe how upset people get when the band is criticized. The band doesn't need defended.
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482

funny story, Friday night I was waiting in line to get in the park. Along comes a bunch of cops on motorcycles parting the crowd like the red sea, along comes 2 Mercedes vans. I recognized Ed's wife in the front. So I stepped close toward the vans knowing the band was in there and I yelled out something like "what the fuck, who do you think you are"?? with my arms in the air - everyone in the van were laughing. Pretty cool moment.

I love it!!! :)
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982
    edited August 2016

hedonist said:

SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

If it is so unrealistic that the band would want to acknowledge their fans, than maybe they don't care for their fans as much as they say they do. I didn't think that when I first posted, but based on everyone's responses that the HOB would be the last place they would expect PJ to be than I can't come to any other conclusion than they don't want to spend time with fans. Listen to yourselves people.
    Did you bump your head up in Boston?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

samjam said:

My friends and I had just dropped my bf off to do some walking near the start of the Freedom Trail before his flight, and we were headed home to NY. Got in the car, drove around the corner, came to a crosswalk, and had to stop because people were crossing...those people were Matt and his wife! We were floored (and I felt AWFUL for actually having this happen right after we dropped my bf, a huge PJ fan as well, off!), and were able to say a quick hello and get a quick picture. He was very gracious, and it was such a cool moment! Even if I look awful in the picture :lol:

That sounds better than a rare Pokemon in Pokemon Go... glad you didn't run them over in excitement! ;) So super psyched for you guys that this happened!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Sometimes I can't believe how upset people get when the band is criticized. The band doesn't need defended.

Yeah, people shouldn't get upset ... at the same time, this a pretty bizarre complaint. I think, in this case, people are more flabbergasted than upset.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do

That's where you're wrong - at least about some of these posts. I for one don't think the band needs defending too. But I work with bands (NOT PJ), and I **KNOW** what goes into both shows like Fenway and doing an alleged "10 min drop by" (the whole concept of which, once again, shows his utter cluelessness about the dynamics involved in this). I'm not responding because I am worried the band will feel bad or look bad. I'm quite sure with all the crap that happens on this board at times, they've learned long ago to either ignore or be amused by most of it, and take seriously the stuff that should be taken seriously.

But I don't give a darn on behalf of the band if people don't like something the band does or doesn't do. I just think as long as Bootlegger is going to keep posting what I consider ridiculous or clueless expectations, I can keep responding about it (well in between other actual important stuff).

Not everyone who has a real reaction to something on this board is trying to defend the band's honor. Some of us are just expressing our sincere opinions. Which anyone can disagree with, just like many disagree with this guy.
  • Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised (nor would I be bothered by it) if they just didn't want to do it. Even if they did what you're suggesting (show up for 10 min to say thanks), how exactly does that look.? Say it's Mike. He says, "thanks for coming out. We appreciate all your support. We've been looking forward to these shows for awhile now. Thought it would be cool to show this video. Thanks again, see you tomorrow" What does that take, about 2 minutes?

Then, people are yelling stuff out, whether it's different questions or a million flash bulbs going off. Does Mike just stand there? Walk away? Doesn't seem like it would be worth the time to leave whatever they were doing (or even just relaxing in their hotel) to go and do that. Then you have people on the sidewalks who didn't get into HOB asking for pictures, autographs, and everything else. I wouldn't be shocked if they just didn't want to deal with it.

I know this sounds like "Wah wah, poor rockstars have to deal with attention", but I bet they just really look forward to a night alone, or with familly when they choose. Obviously, Mike and Matt seem to open themselves up to it, as they seem to be out and about more than the others, but that is on their own terms.
  • mrz200mrz200 Posts: 80
    people - the fact that the band put on the HOB event was the gift people. that WAS the freebie.

it was a free event that Pearl Jam, inc spent money on that they didn't make back.

So in addition to the reasonably priced tickets, the high quantity of f 0C-allocated tickets, the really good fucking seats that get allocated to 10C, they also put on a free screening of the concert a local venue, knowing how many people would be shut out.

oh did I mention that when a re-release happened, the band was still able to provide those to fan club members first before general on sale?

been a fan of the band for years, and all of the folks I meet at shows - 10c seats & otherwise - are cool folks....but some of the expectations and opinions shared on this board kinda blow me away.
    edited August 2016
    JH6056 said:

That's where you're wrong - at least about some of these posts. I for one don't think the band needs defending too. But I work with bands (NOT PJ), and I **KNOW** what goes into both shows like Fenway and doing an alleged "10 min drop by" (the whole concept of which, once again, shows his utter cluelessness about the dynamics involved in this). I'm not responding because I am worried the band will feel bad or look bad. I'm quite sure with all the crap that happens on this board at times, they've learned long ago to either ignore or be amused by most of it, and take seriously the stuff that should be taken seriously.

But I don't give a darn on behalf of the band if people don't like something the band does or doesn't do. I just think as long as Bootlegger is going to keep posting what I consider ridiculous or clueless expectations, I can keep responding about it (well in between other actual important stuff).

Not everyone who has a real reaction to something on this board is trying to defend the band's honor. Some of us are just expressing our sincere opinions. Which anyone can disagree with, just like many disagree with this guy.
    I actually disagree with the OP. I wouldn't expect any of the band members to show up at that event (I would never go to that event quite honestly). The band has endured criticism their whole career and it seems they could careless. A little flack from the boards won't hurt. I understand everyone has the right to criticize the critics, but I get that vibe sometimes that people go into defense mode on behalf of the band and it kind of gets ridiculous around here sometimes. To each their own, though. :rock_on:
    Post edited by pearldavidson on

Yeah, people shouldn't get upset ... at the same time, this a pretty bizarre complaint. I think, in this case, people are more flabbergasted than upset.
    My only serious complaint ever is when they opened with Pendulum 100 times. :angry:
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504

JH6056 said:

They were not seen at the House of Blues on Saturday night where there was a gathering of some of their biggest fans. It's not that I cared that they didn't stop by just to say a quick thank you, but the fact that they didn't care to do that themselves makes me wonder why I care so much about the band to spend an evening watching the same concert from the night before when they don't really care either.

It really did seem strange to me though that here they had 1,000 or so of their fan club members in a room and no one from the band came to acknowledge that. That is what I was thinking about until I started drinking more to get through the same show from the night before (and ended up having a great time).

All I can say is this: you clearly have NO IDEA what kind of energy and commitment it takes to consistently put on 2.5+ hour shows for all these years. These guys are in their 50s, they have families, and they put on a THREE HOUR SHOW on Friday night. I'll just say it: you are asking and expecting WAY too f'in much if you think that the day in between, when they should be resting up and catching up with friends and relaxing so they can RE-CHARGE and deliver the goods on Sunday, that they should be swinging by HOB. No, they really should not.

Let me know when you do something physically and psychic-ly taxing and give it your ALL for 2 out of 3 days, and then spend a couple hours (because, as logistics go, it is a couple of hours to travel to HOB, hang out and say hi, and get back to your hotel, absolutely not any less time) going back to same group you were working for/with on that day off in between.

Fans like you want the amazing shows, the energy, the magic... and yet have zero clue what that takes out of them and what the idea of "re-charging your batteries" means so you can deliver again. Yet if they had swung by and hung out, then been that much more tired for Sunday, you'd be the first to complain that the show lacked energy.

Lastly, if your measure of whether they care or not about us fans is whether they show up for 1,000 lucky fans at a film screening in between 2 taxing long shows, AS OPPOSED TO measuring it by the shows they deliver, the music they deliver, and the way they try to look out for fans... you are shortsighted and I question why you value one film screening over all the rest of that magic they do. So I'll ask you: why? Why is them not showing up at HOB indication to you they don't care about us, compared to the shows they delivered Fri and Sun and for the rest of their careers?

Yeah, you do what they do, and then spend your day and night off doing more, and get back to us on what you did and how it went. Maybe you'll understand then?
    Most weeks I work 60+ hours and in several weeks in the year it is 70-80 hours. Trust me, they are in much better shape than me who is 15-20 years younger than them. I don't want to hear this garbage about they need a day off to spend time with family and friends.

At the end of the day, they had a 1,000 of their fans in a room, and none of them thought it would be a nice thing to acknowledge the fans before the video started. I thought that was strange. Sue me.

Oh, and to answer your question, the band gets paid to play the shows at Fenway. If they don't show at Fenway they don't get paid. What you do with your time when you aren't paid is what really shows how much you care.
    Hello bootlegger10. You cried about the band on this thread for about 7 hours. I would like to know how you do it, sir. With a 60-to-80-hour workweek, you seem to have the secret to meticulous time management. I'd really appreciate it.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    mrz200 said:

people - the fact that the band put on the HOB event was the gift people. that WAS the freebie.

it was a free event that Pearl Jam, inc spent money on that they didn't make back.

So in addition to the reasonably priced tickets, the high quantity of f 0C-allocated tickets, the really good fucking seats that get allocated to 10C, they also put on a free screening of the concert a local venue, knowing how many people would be shut out.

oh did I mention that when a re-release happened, the band was still able to provide those to fan club members first before general on sale?

been a fan of the band for years, and all of the folks I meet at shows - 10c seats & otherwise - are cool folks....but some of the expectations and opinions shared on this board kinda blow me away.

Love this.

I'm not a blind defender (or detractor) of anything or anyone...try to give credit where I believe it's due, don't where I feel opposite, or maybe find a middle ground.

For all they've given me and for my husband and beautiful friends they led me to, I feel like I owe them (even just in gratitude from afar), rather than the other way around.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    There's summer colds going around. I know some people who have them. Fenway was 2 weeks before Wrigley. They go into a place like HOB with 1000 people in close quarters, pick up a cold, start coming down with it the following week, and maybe not over it by Wrigley. Too risky. They need to protect themselves so they stay healthy and can do the thing people want them to do (play the show). It's different just going around town and running into people here and there.

This is all so silly. I've been to 30 shows since 2003. Never met any band member, probably never will. I don't get why people have this expectation. You go to hear them play their music for you and put on a show of a quality matched by only a few other artists out there. It's live and it's awesome. Isn't that enough?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Got to shake hands with boom then 2 minutes later we ran into matt. He had just signed someone's poster and looked like he wanted to get back to his hotel room but still let us grab a quick photo.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    JH6056 said:

samjam said:

That sounds better than a rare Pokemon in Pokemon Go... glad you didn't run them over in excitement! ;) So super psyched for you guys that this happened!
    Lol definitely better than any Pokemon! I'm still in shock it happened, and happened the way it did!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Sometimes I can't believe how upset people get when the band is criticized. The band doesn't need defended.

people aren't getting upset or going into "defence mode" of the band. sometimes we are defending OURSELVES as a collective fanbase as we feel embarassed by the ridiculous entitlement that some present.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

people aren't getting upset or going into "defence mode" of the band. sometimes we are defending OURSELVES as a collective fanbase as we feel embarassed by the ridiculous entitlement that some present.
    You said that so much better, and so much more briefly, than I ever could!

Like I said, I don't agree with the OP. People sticking it to critical fans because Pearl Jam is being "bullied" is laughable. That happens on these boards.
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2016

I'm embarrassed that your embarrassed Hugh. :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville

• Sometimes I can't believe how upset people get when the band is criticized. The band doesn't need defended.

Like I said, I don't agree with the OP. People sticking it to critical fans because Pearl Jam is being "bullied" is laughable. That happens on these boards.
    again, I know it happens, I just don't see it in this thread. I see this thread as :open_mouth: response to a very bizarre complaint.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    This thread has totally devolved already, but I joked with a friend who suggested the rumor that the band would show up and play a set at HOB that the whole reason they got all the uber fans into that space was so they would know where we were at and could go out on the town with their families and enjoy themselves. ;-) Seriously though, the entitlement of some of the fans of this band is odd and vaguely teenage or some kind of stunted thinking error and is kind of a turn off
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2016
    mdgsolo said:

...but I joked with a friend who suggested the rumor that the band would show up and play a set at HOB that the whole reason they got all the uber fans into that space was so they would know where we were at and could go out on the town with their families and enjoy themselves.

:rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville

again, I know it happens, I just don't see it in this thread. I see this thread as :open_mouth: response to a very bizarre complaint.
    It is a bizarre complaint lol
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    mdgsolo said:

the whole reason they got all the uber fans into that space was so they would know where we were at and could go out on the town with their families and enjoy themselves. ;-)

It was a very smart plan too. Enjoying dinner outside on Newbury Street on a Saturday night with no fan interaction was quite remarkable for them. And then strolling down to Ben & Jerry's for dessert, not a care in the world.
    Best night out they've had as a collective in decades.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687
    Poncier said:

mdgsolo said:

the whole reason they got all the uber fans into that space was so they would know where we were at and could go out on the town with their families and enjoy themselves. ;-)

It was a very smart plan too. Enjoying dinner outside on Newbury Street on a Saturday night with no fan interaction was quite remarkable for them. And then strolling down to Ben & Jerry's for dessert, not a care in the world.
    I'm thinking they would take advantage of being in Boston and go to Emack & Bolios or maybe even Shake Shack.
    mdgsolo said:

This thread has totally devolved already, but I joked with a friend who suggested the rumor that the band would show up and play a set at HOB that the whole reason they got all the uber fans into that space was so they would know where we were at and could go out on the town with their families and enjoy themselves. ;-) Seriously though, the entitlement of some of the fans of this band is odd and vaguely teenage or some kind of stunted thinking error and is kind of a turn off

That's hysterical! And... makes a ton of sense! How diabolical ;)
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129

Poncier said:

mdgsolo said:

I'm thinking they would take advantage of being in Boston and go to Emack & Bolios or maybe even Shake Shack.
    I heard they were at the Barking Crab and then Tia's on the waterfront. This was after a full day in Quincy Market.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.