ANY BAND MEMBER SIGHTINGS IN BEWTEEN SHOWS AT FENWAY?

Comments

• Just to set the record straight, I AM Pearl Jam's Number 1 Fan...

imageimage
  • mpedonempedone Posts: 1,946
    I like the sentiment that "most days are days off" for the band. No need to practice, to write, do any of that stuff. Nope. Call it the curse of making it look so flippin' easy.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,268
    Mr. Hand said:

They were not seen at the House of Blues on Saturday night where there was a gathering of some of their biggest fans. It's not that I cared that they didn't stop by just to say a quick thank you, but the fact that they didn't care to do that themselves makes me wonder why I care so much about the band to spend an evening watching the same concert from the night before when they don't really care either.

It really did seem strange to me though that here they had 1,000 or so of their fan club members in a room and no one from the band came to acknowledge that. That is what I was thinking about until I started drinking more to get through the same show from the night before (and ended up having a great time).

As respectfully as I can, are you kidding? These guys pour 100% of their now 50-something souls into every concert they play, their fan club is better organized and delivers more opportunities to see this great band than any other fan club in existence, and then the fellas deliver a show for the ages on Friday night, and you're going to complain that they didn't show up to a FREE screening of the show (on their day off) because you're their "biggest fan"? How much is enough for you to be satisfied? What do they have to do to show you that they "really care" about the fan? This just seems like really, really sour grapes to me, when taken in consideration of the track record of the band trying to look out for the average fan as much as they possibly can. I mean really, the band "doesn't care" so much that you've got Ed reading fan club messages and making dedications to a guy's recently passed father on stage? I think some serious perspective is required here.

EDITED, to add in also the contest hosted in which several fans won free tix to a PJ suite at Fenway for night two with the possibility to see sound check and have a meet & greet with members of the band which allegedly doesn't care about its fans.

That's all, end of rant now.
    Ditto !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • on2legs said:

PP193448 said:

Bootlegger is entitled to his opinion, so let's not all try to stuff his opinion back in his throat... Let's stick it up his ass... :lol: just kidding

Ha. I definitely understand the pushback. I just thought it was really odd that no one from the band showed up. I'm talking like one person. I am not talking about playing a concert or a song or anything like that. I understand even a meet and greet would be insane to manage so, really it is a quick drive to the venue, get out of the car and say a few words, and then get back in the car and head back to whatever they were doing.
    I would have never expected the band to show up to an event like that. 1,000 drunk fans who all think they are Pearl Jam's number one fan is a recipe for disaster.
    Seriously?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,268

Mr. Hand said:

They were not seen at the House of Blues on Saturday night where there was a gathering of some of their biggest fans. It's not that I cared that they didn't stop by just to say a quick thank you, but the fact that they didn't care to do that themselves makes me wonder why I care so much about the band to spend an evening watching the same concert from the night before when they don't really care either.

It really did seem strange to me though that here they had 1,000 or so of their fan club members in a room and no one from the band came to acknowledge that. That is what I was thinking about until I started drinking more to get through the same show from the night before (and ended up having a great time).

As respectfully as I can, are you kidding? These guys pour 100% of their now 50-something souls into every concert they play, their fan club is better organized and delivers more opportunities to see this great band than any other fan club in existence, and then the fellas deliver a show for the ages on Friday night, and you're going to complain that they didn't show up to a FREE screening of the show (on their day off) because you're their "biggest fan"? How much is enough for you to be satisfied? What do they have to do to show you that they "really care" about the fan? This just seems like really, really sour grapes to me, when taken in consideration of the track record of the band trying to look out for the average fan as much as they possibly can. I mean really, the band "doesn't care" so much that you've got Ed reading fan club messages and making dedications to a guy's recently passed father on stage? I think some serious perspective is required here.
    I don't care as much as you think I do, but I've never been one to worship the band like some on here (maybe 10 years ago I did). I would run as fast and far as I could over a three hour period and likely throw up to get a $300,000 check (or whatever each band members' share was each night in Boston). So at the end of the day I am grateful that Pearl Jam exists, but I don't think just because the band played a long 3 hour show that I've been given a gift. It is the other way around. Your comment about "a day off" is hilarious to me, because most days are day offs for them. But, I agree they give their all on stage so I have no problems with their concerts (I just don't believe they are doing it for free like a lot of people on here).

I never claimed I was their biggest fan, but I would think if you are in the fan club you are big fans of the band.

My point wasn't that the band doesn't play energetic shows or aren't really great people off the stage (they all seem to be from what I read), but my point is that I am surprised that no one showed up to say thank you in person. The fans there would have loved it. I know the CEO of McDonald's doesn't show up and thank me every time I order a Big Mac, but I bet if there was a Big Mac festival somewhere a representative of McDonald's would have been there. If I arranged a thank you dinner for a group of my clients and didn't show it would be strange. I know this HOB was different, but to me the thoughtful thing to do if you were really sincere about how important you think the fans are that you would have taken the 20 minutes to say a few words before the screening of the video. So, I really was thinking how strange it is that we are all attending a replay of their concert together, and the band is in town but isn't there. It just made me wonder why we all care so much when the band couldn't care less about attending that event.

The only reason your bent is because you bit on the acoustic rumored set you went there expecting something that didn't happen ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HH140540HH140540 Posts: 545
    Interesting conversation here... All I can say is I was able to have a conversation with Eddie and it was like I was just talking to a normal dude. It was just the two of us in a room. He was super engaging, asking me questions about my wife, kids, and just life in general. He could not have been more humble and gracious. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole experience.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

Mr. Hand said:

I don't care as much as you think I do, but I've never been one to worship the band like some on here (maybe 10 years ago I did). I would run as fast and far as I could over a three hour period and likely throw up to get a $300,000 check (or whatever each band members' share was each night in Boston). So at the end of the day I am grateful that Pearl Jam exists, but I don't think just because the band played a long 3 hour show that I've been given a gift. It is the other way around. Your comment about "a day off" is hilarious to me, because most days are day offs for them. But, I agree they give their all on stage so I have no problems with their concerts (I just don't believe they are doing it for free like a lot of people on here).

I never claimed I was their biggest fan, but I would think if you are in the fan club you are big fans of the band.

My point wasn't that the band doesn't play energetic shows or aren't really great people off the stage (they all seem to be from what I read), but my point is that I am surprised that no one showed up to say thank you in person. The fans there would have loved it. I know the CEO of McDonald's doesn't show up and thank me every time I order a Big Mac, but I bet if there was a Big Mac festival somewhere a representative of McDonald's would have been there. If I arranged a thank you dinner for a group of my clients and didn't show it would be strange. I know this HOB was different, but to me the thoughtful thing to do if you were really sincere about how important you think the fans are that you would have taken the 20 minutes to say a few words before the screening of the video. So, I really was thinking how strange it is that we are all attending a replay of their concert together, and the band is in town but isn't there. It just made me wonder why we all care so much when the band couldn't care less about attending that event.

The only reason your bent is because you bit on the acoustic rumored set you went there expecting something that didn't happen ..
    No, I did not bite. I made the comment in the thread originally that the last time PJ played three nights in a row was 2006. I never thought they would play there because PJ is a business now. And because it is a business I was surprised that at least one person from the band did not show to say a quick few words like most businesses would have done. I am not bent on this because I am upset they didn't play a show, I am posting because I am looking at this objectively and from a non-rose colored glasses perspective it was weird no one showed up.
    It is silly to think that so many of you are so infatuated by the band (that you pay lots of $$$ to) that someone making a comment that from a business perspective (let alone a caring about your fans perspective) that it was strange that no one from the band showed up at the HOB to say a few words and acknowledge the fans was odd.
  • The shows are great, but to buy all this merch and spend all this time on message boards and Facebook isn't because they shows are so great but that we love the idea of Pearl Jam, and sometimes I wonder if we love it more than the band members do. That is probably a ludicrous statement but I do think we all get something different out of it.

Of course we love it more than they do. I'm sure they love playing shows for their fans, and appreciate the hell out of being able to still do it 25 years later. They've all made a ton of money and I guarantee they are thankful for that. But this is a job for them and I assume when they are not committed to do something related to their job, more often than not they don't want to do it.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    was bierman there?
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JH6056 said:

All I can say is this: you clearly have NO IDEA what kind of energy and commitment it takes to consistently put on 2.5+ hour shows for all these years. These guys are in their 50s, they have families, and they put on a THREE HOUR SHOW on Friday night. I'll just say it: you are asking and expecting WAY too f'in much if you think that the day in between, when they should be resting up and catching up with friends and relaxing so they can RE-CHARGE and deliver the goods on Sunday, that they should be swinging by HOB. No, they really should not.

Let me know when you do something physically and psychic-ly taxing and give it your ALL for 2 out of 3 days, and then spend a couple hours (because, as logistics go, it is a couple of hours to travel to HOB, hang out and say hi, and get back to your hotel, absolutely not any less time) going back to same group you were working for/with on that day off in between.

Fans like you want the amazing shows, the energy, the magic... and yet have zero clue what that takes out of them and what the idea of "re-charging your batteries" means so you can deliver again. Yet if they had swung by and hung out, then been that much more tired for Sunday, you'd be the first to complain that the show lacked energy.

Lastly, if your measure of whether they care or not about us fans is whether they show up for 1,000 lucky fans at a film screening in between 2 taxing long shows, AS OPPOSED TO measuring it by the shows they deliver, the music they deliver, and the way they try to look out for fans... you are shortsighted and I question why you value one film screening over all the rest of that magic they do. So I'll ask you: why? Why is them not showing up at HOB indication to you they don't care about us, compared to the shows they delivered Fri and Sun and for the rest of their careers?

Yeah, you do what they do, and then spend your day and night off doing more, and get back to us on what you did and how it went. Maybe you'll understand then?
    Ok, cool, you just confirmed that you have no clue. And I still don't hear you saying that after your 60-70 hr workweeks, that you show up at work or to hang out with the people your work serves (whether you make widgets or work in an ER) on your day off.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. And trust me, mine doesn't come from any blind "I worship PJ and they can do no wrong" perspective. I've had my gripes multiple times over the years.

And... I'm also still entitled to mine and still think you're totally unrealistic, have really out in la la land expectations, and will continue to be disappointed if you keep thinking this way. Especially since you still show in your posts that you DO judge whether they care or not about fans based on what they do on their days off and whether they show up for 1,000 fans to say thanks. Not for the live or recorded work that, yes, they do get paid for, but they could get paid even more for most of their career if they did things in a different way and/or more commercial way.

But, ya know, they didn't show up at a fan event that you were at so... forget all that quality and demonstrated consideration. They don't give a crap. Yeah, good luck with that attitude. Which, of course, you're entitled to!

• It is silly to think that so many of you are so infatuated by the band (that you pay lots of $$$ to) that someone making a comment that from a business perspective (let alone a caring about your fans perspective) that it was strange that no one from the band showed up at the HOB to say a few words and acknowledge the fans was odd.

just because people have differing opinion than you, doesn't mean they are "so infatuated by the band". I wouldn't dream of them showing up to that event. Maybe Tim B. But not the band members. I think that would be odd. I think it's odd that you believe this wouldn't be odd.

Odd? Odd.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• elenelen Posts: 188
    edited August 2016
    Met Mike in Boston Common on Saturday.
    He's been super nice, asking questions on where we were coming from and, as someone said before, even if it was just for a couple of minutes, he seemed actually interested in having a chat with us.
    Post edited by elen on
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    After the weekend I'm pretty sure Mike McCready could be elected mayor here. He was everywhere and always seemed willing to smile for a picture. Shit I'd vote for him.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168

Mr. Hand said:

No, I did not bite. I made the comment in the thread originally that the last time PJ played three nights in a row was 2006. I never thought they would play there because PJ is a business now. And because it is a business I was surprised that at least one person from the band did not show to say a quick few words like most businesses would have done. I am not bent on this because I am upset they didn't play a show, I am posting because I am looking at this objectively and from a non-rose colored glasses perspective it was weird no one showed up.
    Objectively, I don't think they lost anything by not showing up. The event was as advertised. Would it have been nice if they showed up? Absolutely. Are they going to lose popularity because they did not? Maybe some fans here and there, but not enough to make a dent on their bottom line. They were much better off recharging to put on a great show for the next night, which they did.
    JC29856 said:

was bierman there?

Yes he was.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited August 2016
    the disconnect for me with this discussion
    the band members seem pretty cool, from personal experience and from the stories I hear and read, they seem to actually care and appreciate their fans, without knowing them I believe they are cool and do care.
    SO why is it ODD and silly for someone to be surprised that not 1 member showed up to such an intimate event.
    I wasn't there, I would have liked to be, but wasnt, so no bias here.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,709
    JimmyV said:

After the weekend I'm pretty sure Mike McCready could be elected mayor here. He was everywhere and always seemed willing to smile for a picture. Shit I'd vote for him.

Any chance we can get him to run against Crooked Hillary and Orange Donny?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129

Mr. Hand said:

I don't know, it seems like from a business stand point the delivered exactly what was advertised. We were promised a screening of the film and a Q&A with the video guy afterward. We got both. Bierman and company were an extra.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Hand said:

I had the chance to meet Mike McCready twice at the hotel we were staying at this weekend. The first time I was coming back from dinner on Saturday night, as was he, and we rode up in the elevator together. I tried not to put on too much of a fanboy show, but I thanked him for a great show the night before and told him I've been listening to the band since the beginning.

Mike couldn't have been more gracious and friendly. He went out of his way to shake my hand and asked my name, and I told him how he shredded the solo on comfortably numb the night before. He was saying it has taken a long time to get it just where he wants it to be. I didn't ask for any photos or autographs, I just wanted to chat, and he was the nicest guy you could want to meet, for a guy who probably gets approached by people a dozen times a day. Saw him again on Sunday when we were checking out in the front of the hotel, shook his hand again and wished him luck for another great show. He graciously signed for several fans waiting around at the front of the hotel, before going off on foot like any average Joe on the street. That plus attending two great Pearl Jam shows, pretty much caps things for me.

It's amazing that with all the attention and praise the fellas get, they're just regular guys in person and I think that's outstanding.

I got to meet Mike on Saturday between the shows ... he was in line for the trolley tour. :) Just like you said ... as nice as could be! Firm handshake, looked me in the eye and really seemed appreciative of my support... Even said 'thank you to me. Got a cool pic which his wife (I think) offered to take after i fumbled around with my phone for a few seconds....

SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

I had the chance to meet Mike McCready twice at the hotel we were staying at this weekend. The first time I was coming back from dinner on Saturday night, as was he, and we rode up in the elevator together. I tried not to put on too much of a fanboy show, but I thanked him for a great show the night before and told him I've been listening to the band since the beginning.

Mike couldn't have been more gracious and friendly. He went out of his way to shake my hand and asked my name, and I told him how he shredded the solo on comfortably numb the night before. He was saying it has taken a long time to get it just where he wants it to be. I didn't ask for any photos or autographs, I just wanted to chat, and he was the nicest guy you could want to meet, for a guy who probably gets approached by people a dozen times a day. Saw him again on Sunday when we were checking out in the front of the hotel, shook his hand again and wished him luck for another great show. He graciously signed for several fans waiting around at the front of the hotel, before going off on foot like any average Joe on the street. That plus attending two great Pearl Jam shows, pretty much caps things for me.

It's amazing that with all the attention and praise the fellas get, they're just regular guys in person and I think that's outstanding.

I got to meet Mike on Saturday between the shows ... he was in line for the trolley tour. :) Just like you said ... as nice as could be! Firm handshake, looked me in the eye and really seemed appreciative of my support... Even said 'thank you to me. Got a cool pic which his wife (I think) offered to take after i fumbled around with my phone for a few seconds....
    Is that before or after he was getting IV treatment to recuperate from the concert? :)
    :)
    www.dropbox.com/home?preview=IMG_2642.jpg
    Post edited by SEACIDE on
    Love is all you need.....
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,982

on2legs said:

PP193448 said:

Bootlegger is entitled to his opinion, so let's not all try to stuff his opinion back in his throat... Let's stick it up his ass... :lol: just kidding

Ha. I definitely understand the pushback. I just thought it was really odd that no one from the band showed up. I'm talking like one person. I am not talking about playing a concert or a song or anything like that. I understand even a meet and greet would be insane to manage so, really it is a quick drive to the venue, get out of the car and say a few words, and then get back in the car and head back to whatever they were doing.
    I would have never expected the band to show up to an event like that. 1,000 drunk fans who all think they are Pearl Jam's number one fan is a recipe for disaster.
    Seriously?
    Completely serious.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Are you serious?

If you're not, kudos. That was awesome satire.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do

It is silly to think that so many of you are so infatuated by the band (that you pay lots of $$$ to) that someone making a comment that from a business perspective (let alone a caring about your fans perspective) that it was strange that no one from the band showed up at the HOB to say a few words and acknowledge the fans was odd.

just because people have differing opinion than you, doesn't mean they are "so infatuated by the band". I wouldn't dream of them showing up to that event. Maybe Tim B. But not the band members. I think that would be odd. I think it's odd that you believe this wouldn't be odd.

Odd? Odd.
    That's what I was thinking. Why on earth would ANYONE expect a member of the band to randomly show up at that thing? It's bizarre.

Are you serious?

If you're not, kudos. That was awesome satire.
    Completely serious.
    SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

Is that before or after he was getting IV treatment to recuperate from the concert? :)
    edited August 2016

Odd? Odd.
    That's what I was thinking. Why on earth would ANYONE expect a member of the band to randomly show up at that thing? It's bizarre.
    Why not? How many times do they have an event where they have a small venue full of fan club members? Not many times. I wasn't expecting a band member to show up and certainly not a musical performance, but the more I thought about it I found it strange that no one in the band thought "guys, we've got a 1,000 of our fans over at the House of Blues, wouldn't it be nice if one of us came by and said a few words before the video started playing?" Maybe they did and just decided not to do it, but anyway, that is my whole point. You've got 1,000 people that spend so much time and money and are die hard about the band, and nobody wanted to stop by and go the extra mile and say a quick hello and thank you? I know they are private people, and all are super nice when they meet fans on the street. I also agree the event was as advertised (which I actually posted in the other thread that that was all we should expect).

But when posters come back with "they give us so much already", "they need days off too", and other crap like that and not acknowledge the millions they are paid by us, then I will get a little fired up. I enjoy the back and forth though.

If we were all in a room together this conversation wouldn't be that big a deal as I didn't leave the HOB mad (I had a great time) but it is just an observation, but one that I feel strongly about. I wonder from time to time whether Pearl Jam is a band that everyone in the band loves and wants to keep growing, or if it is more of an annuity. I'm sure it is somewhere in between. It doesn't mean they don't care about their fans or Pearl Jam.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
    I would have been shocked. It's just not something that is done.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

SEACIDE said:

Mr. Hand said:

Not that he'd necessarily need an IV, but watching Mike's energy and interaction and such generosity of time and spirit toward those who appreciate his and his band's work, it's easy to forget he has a disease that can fuck with you pretty bad.

So I'd imagine time off, for himself or whatever, did him good. Does him good.

And for what it's worth, no hard feelings from here. I completely disagree though :)

I would have been shocked. It's just not something that is done.

And the HOB event is something was never done before. I don't there have been many 10c only events over the years to get a good sample size from.
  • the band are on a "business trip". when you have a day to yourself out of 3 or 4, you likely visit friends, family, or just see the sights as it seems Mike did. if one of them showed up before the showing, and then quickly booked it, half of the place would have emptied trying to follow them.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    "Wasn't expecting them to show but we pay them millions so why didn't they go the extra mile?!"

I'm pleased when the band does make their time available for a show that I get my money's worth, and then some, when they go the extra mile on stage. Otherwise, I'm pleased they've earned the right to do whatever they want whenever they want and aren't slave to anyone's expectations.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
This discussion has been closed.