Options

Strange Facts

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763

brianlux said:

Brian tried to ruin Chadwick's computer?

Look out, Thirty, yours is next! image
    The way it operates, I'm pretty sure you already got it!
    So sorry about that! Here, while your getting it fixed you can borrow my iPad:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Haha
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

GF got a date?

With a Telaveve girl?

That's an interesting fact by itself.

LOL ! yeah back in the early 80's she was super cool.,..and beautiful.

Godfather.

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Some amazing perspective here from Professor Brian Cox:

-In around one billion years Earth will be destroyed by the Sun

-In around six billion years the Sun will explode

-In around ten thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years the Universe will be nothing more than a sea of photons. By my calculation that’s actually one Googol years. It’s not often you get to use the Googol number, if you don’t know how much it is – google it. Oh, the irony :)

-Cox also told us that “As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe … life, as we know it, is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of a percent.” By my calculation, that means life is only possible for a period of one hundred trillion years (10^100 – 10^86 = 10^14).

:open_mouth:

http://www.althinking.com/2011/03/13/professor-brian-cox-wonders-of-the-universe-destiny/

Yiu just showed why some people just don't give a flying rats ass about the enviroment. (I'm not one of those, despite our disagreements on certain fossil fuel burning).
    Interesting perspective. TO my way of thinking it's exactly the opposite. Another thing Cox has said elsewhere is that the odds of any kind life occurring anywhere at all are super slim and the odds of intelligent life such as us humans evolving is stupendously slim. We are a freak occurrence in a nearly infinitesimal bit of time and to not treasure that, to not make the most of it, to not value, nurture, take care of and value to the utmost the life cycles of this planet is, at least to my way of thinking, is the ultimate offense toward that gift of life we live in in this moment of time. To not treasure it, to throw it away, is insane.
    I've been saying that for years.(we are probably alone in the universe). People just say I'm closed minded.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    edited August 2016
    I think what Cox says about that is rather baseless, and many if not most of those who are involved in the subject seem to disagree with his conclusion.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I think what Cox says about that is rather baseless, and many if not most of those who are involved in the subject seem to disagree with his conclusion.

Which part, PJS?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    While we're waiting for a response to the above here's something to chew on:

The average human body contains approximately 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms of carbon.

• Options
    Also, I posted these strange facts in "Other Music" but I believe they belong here:

Lead vocalist Rudy Martinez (of the band ? and the Mysterians) went by the name "Question Mark" and later had his name legally changed to "?"
    ? was born on Mars and lived among the dinosaurs in a past life.
    Voices from the future had revealed to ? that he will be performing "96 Tears" in the year 10,000.

Cool!

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Sorry, B. Unless you're intentionally derailing, those "facts" are just silly....I mean, c'mon, future voices revealed and all that other nonsense?

Anyway, 96 Tears was a very cool part of a short Stephen King story.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Sorry, B. Unless you're intentionally derailing, those "facts" are just silly....I mean, c'mon, future voices revealed and all that other nonsense?

Not meant to derail! If someone says they are from Mars, who am I to argue? We are all, after all, star dust. Others have made similar claims. Sun Ra, for example, said he was from Saturn. Look, could you really doubt the integrity of such a man? I saw Sun Ra three times and what I saw was surely out of this world.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Not meant to derail! If someone says they are from Mars, who am I to argue? We are all, after all, star dust. Others have made similar claims. Sun Ra, for example, said he was from Saturn. Look, could you really doubt the integrity of such a man? I saw Sun Ra three times and what I saw was surely out of this world.

Who am you to argue a claim someone is from mars? Unless there's a city named mars, your rational brain should be able to argue something as ridiculous as that.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

-In around ten thousand trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion years the Universe will be nothing more than a sea of photons. By my calculation that’s actually one Googol years. It’s not often you get to use the Googol number, if you don’t know how much it is – google it. Oh, the irony :)

-Cox also told us that “As a fraction of the lifespan of the universe … life, as we know it, is only possible for one thousandth of a billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billion billionth of a percent.” By my calculation, that means life is only possible for a period of one hundred trillion years (10^100 – 10^86 = 10^14).

http://www.althinking.com/2011/03/13/professor-brian-cox-wonders-of-the-universe-destiny/

Yiu just showed why some people just don't give a flying rats ass about the enviroment. (I'm not one of those, despite our disagreements on certain fossil fuel burning).
    Interesting perspective. TO my way of thinking it's exactly the opposite. Another thing Cox has said elsewhere is that the odds of any kind life occurring anywhere at all are super slim and the odds of intelligent life such as us humans evolving is stupendously slim. We are a freak occurrence in a nearly infinitesimal bit of time and to not treasure that, to not make the most of it, to not value, nurture, take care of and value to the utmost the life cycles of this planet is, at least to my way of thinking, is the ultimate offense toward that gift of life we live in in this moment of time. To not treasure it, to throw it away, is insane.
    I've been saying that for years.(we are probably alone in the universe). People just say I'm closed minded.
    holy crackerjacks ! we agree on something LOL !!!! .(we are probably alone in the universe).

Godfather.

• Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

holy crackerjacks ! we agree on something LOL !!!! .(we are probably alone in the universe).

Godfather.

It's been known to happen on occasion.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Who am you to argue a claim someone is from mars? Unless there's a city named mars, your rational brain should be able to argue something as ridiculous as that.
    Just trying to have a little fun here on a forum that is generally full of arguing, rancor, bitterness, disparaging comments. etc., etc. ... we all do it from time to time.

Besides, who said my brain is a rational brain? :wink:

• Options
    Ironic that some might question a dude that says he's from Mars... but maintain that a divine being lives in the clouds amongst the billions of souls that earned a place with him: paying tithes and Sunday offerings to the church.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Jesus built my hot rod.
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Jason P said:

Jesus built my hot rod.

Sorry sir, we're looking for strange facts, not Awesome facts. :smiley:
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited August 2016
    The inside of a watermelon is blue until you cut it open.
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

I'm a registered republican, but with Trump as our nominee I'm questioning the existence of intelligent life anywhere.

With estimates as high as 200 billion galaxies, and each galaxies having hundreds of billions of stars. Each star can have multiple planets, even if life is only one on a googol chance, that means there's a good chance its somewhere else too, but we'll never know.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

Just trying to have a little fun here on a forum that is generally full of arguing, rancor, bitterness, disparaging comments. etc., etc. ... we all do it from time to time.

Besides, who said my brain is a rational brain? :wink:
    My bad. Have some fun B. We all need a break once in a while.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

I'm a registered republican, but with Trump as our nominee I'm questioning the existence of intelligent life anywhere.

With estimates as high as 200 billion galaxies, and each galaxies having hundreds of billions of stars. Each star can have multiple planets, even if life is only one on a googol chance, that means there's a good chance its somewhere else too, but we'll never know.
    I do think that there's a chance of life outside of our planet. But without proof, I am not a believer.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

Very cool about watermelons. I would eat them even if they stayed blue!

As a Republican repulsed by the idea of Trump as nominee, you are certainly not alone. I only know a very few Republicans who are happy with that outcome. Very strange indeed!

If I'm not mistaken, what Cox was suggesting is that intelligent, self aware life- the thing that makes humans unique- is very unlikely. to exist elsewhere. Since he is one of our most renowned physicists, I have to guess he knows way, way more about all this than I do. But you're probably right- we will likely never know.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I made that up about watermelons by the way. Waiting for someone to disagree so I can ask them to prove me wrong.
  • Options
    Wouldn't gorillas, dolphins and other non-humans fall into the intelligent, self-aware category as well?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

I made that up about watermelons by the way. Waiting for someone to disagree so I can ask them to prove me wrong.

I was wondering how you knew they were blue until they were cut. I thought it was quite funny.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

mace1229 said:

I was wondering how you knew they were blue until they were cut. I thought it was quite funny.
    :ohstop: Doubters! Everyone know only special knives reveal the true color of watermelon. :
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mace1229 said:

That shit's tru, bro!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,631
    edited August 2016
    hedonist said:

Wouldn't gorillas, dolphins and other non-humans fall into the intelligent, self-aware category as well?

Yeah. Elephants, whales.... humans are obviously not the only intelligent and self-aware species on Earth.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mace1229 said:

Hahaha I grow watermelons for my mother-in-law (don't care for them myself) so I was going to call bullshit on that one!

When I was a kid I always heard the same about blood, that it was blue until it hit the air.
    Obviously that is false, but it is true that the more highly oxygenated blood is, the brighter red it will appear. I know firsthand, the blood that seeps from the inside of your femur is such a deep red it appears almost like Deep Purple.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Rapist Brock Turner released after three months!

Yes, I find that strange (not to mention fucked up).

Karma, please do your thing :prayer:
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    hedonist said:

Rapist Brock Turner released after three months!

Yes, I find that strange (not to mention fucked up).

Karma, please do your thing :prayer:

Strange he was only sentenced to 3 months to begin with.