Options

Strange Facts

Comments

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    edited September 2016
    The human body sheds 1,000,000,000 skin cells a day. We produce 7,000,000,00 skin cells every day. ( I should have checked the exact numbers; this may be off some), which means that every 7 days we've shed, and re-grown an entire new skin! ( we shed these skin cells on everything we touch. They reside on the winds. This is how dogs can trace you using their noses). Always found this fact very fascinating.
    Post edited by whispering hands on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763

The human body sheds 1,000,000,000 skin cells a day. We produce 7,000,000,00 skin cells every day. ( I should have checked the exact numbers; this may be off some), which means that every 7 days we've shed, and re-grown an entire new skin! ( we shed these skin cells on everything we touch. They reside on the winds. This is how dogs can trace you using their noses). Always found this fact very fascinating.

Fascinating indeed! I never knew that!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    brianlux said:

wow ! I had some idea but never knew how much.

Godfather.

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Guardians of the Galaxy was released exactly 28 years after Howard The Duck.

Same for Hot Pursuit 2015 and the 1987 movie of the same name with John Cusack.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    brianlux said:

I've also previously read that the majority of the dust in our house are just our own skins cells that were shed.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

I've also previously read that the majority of the dust in our house are just our own skins cells that were shed.
    Think about how much heavier your mattress is after a few years in just skin cells.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Today is the 37th Anniversary of ESPN's SPORTSCENTER

Ownership of ABC, and in effect control of ESPN, was acquired first by Capital Cities Communications in 1985, and then by The Walt Disney Company in 1996. In 2012, ESPN generated more revenue for Disney than any of its other properties combined.

Those who watch sports...where did you get your sports news before SPORTSCENTER?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838

mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

Think about how much heavier your mattress is after a few years in just skin cells.
    Not correct, actually. A relatively small percentage of the dust in our houses is shed skin. And mattresses and pillows mostly get heavier with dust mites and dust mite droppings rather than shed skin per se, though dust mites feed on shed skin.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

Not correct, actually. A relatively small percentage of the dust in our houses is shed skin. And mattresses and pillows mostly get heavier with dust mites and dust mite droppings rather than shed skin per se, though dust mites feed on shed skin.
    You just made me vomit a little
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited September 2016
    Most dead skin cells come off in the shower, which is why there isn't actually that much dead skin in the dust in our homes. So I would assume that the less you shower or bathe, the more your dust is made of skin. And yeah, where you're going to find by FAR the most dead skin cells is your bed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

mace1229 said:

brianlux said:

dude.....I'm going to vomit LOL !!!

Godfather.

• Options
    A whole lot of squeamish people in here....
  • Options
    edited September 2016

:lol: Yeah, it's just regular life. If the idea of dead skin cells in bug poop makes them sick, we better not talk about the bacteria and microbes that are currently inside their mouths and noses and all over their hands and in their hair and inside their bodies. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The National Great Blacks in Wax museum is Baltimore's first wax museum and the first wax museum of African American history in the nation. It was established in 1988. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first wax museum to exist in the State of Maryland.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    The average penis size is 5.1 inches.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mcgruff10 said:

Lol
  • Options
    JWPearl said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol
    Across which ethnic group?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: Yeah, it's just regular life. If the idea of dead skin cells in bug poop makes them sick, we better not talk about the bacteria and microbes that are currently inside their mouths and noses and all over their hands and in their hair and inside their bodies. :lol:
    NO PICTURES PLEASE !!!!!! HAHHAHAHHAHHAHHA !!

Godfather.

• Options
    JWPearl said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lol
    really ???????

years ago my uncle and I were at a black angus having some drinks and a they happen to be interviewing waitress's
    and as we left the bar a nicely dressed young woman crosses us the parking lot....

uncle: are you going in for an interview ?
    young woman: yes why ?
    uncle: forget about it, the gal before you had bigger boobs
    young woman: o.k asshole drop your drawers lets see what you got
    uncle: (laughing hysterically) yeah you got me ! caught me with my mouth open.

and we actually became friends with the young woman

Godfather.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    More penis facts please.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:

More penis facts please.

Every penis started out as a clitoris.
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Guys fear more about the lenght of their penis than their intelligence level... :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    kce8 said:

Guys fear more about the lenght of their penis than their intelligence level... :wink:

That's just silly. They should be worrying more about width. =);)

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

kce8 said:

That's just silly. They should be worrying more about width. =);)
    Unfortunately, all that worrying worsens the problem.
  • Options
    Another thing I learned watching one of those cool Brian Cox science series videos:

99.999999% of an atom is empty space.

In the video, to illustrate this, Cox held up a small stone and said, "If this were an atom's nucleus, then that mesa over there a kilometer away is about how far away would be the few minuscule electrons circling this nucleus." It's a bit mind-boggling to thing about. Most of everything we can see and touch is almost all empty space.

This universe is mostly a bunch of nothing!

• Options
    A group of rhinos is called a crash.

Peace

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    brianlux said:

Another thing I learned watching one of those cool Brian Cox science series videos:

99.999999% of an atom is empty space.

In the video, to illustrate this, Cox held up a small stone and said, "If this were an atom's nucleus, then that mesa over there a kilometer away is about how far away would be the few minuscule electrons circling this nucleus." It's a bit mind-boggling to thing about. Most of everything we can see and touch is almost all empty space.

This universe is mostly a bunch of nothing!

I was a chemistry major. A to scale model of the atom doesn't even exist. If you used a grain a sand to represent the nucleus, you'd have to place it in a football stadium to represent the empty space.
    Based off this there are theories that we can actually walk through walls like an x-men. It would just require the atoms to correctly align so the solid parts (the nucleus) collide with the empty space of the other object. However the chances of all the atoms aligning are statistically impossible.
  • Options
    How is it possible that the amount of empty space in an atomic can be accurately represented by putting a grain of sand in a football,stadium?
  • Options

How is it possible that the amount of empty space in an atomic can be accurately represented by putting a grain of sand in a football,stadium?

Yeah, it's kind of weird that things can be that small, eh? It's not as hard to imagine as infinity, but it's not too far off.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The crazy part is that the nucleus may be just as empty, with the muons and leptons and quarks and whatnot beings grains in a stadium themselves.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?