Another Attack in France (Nice)

15678911»

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mayor of Cannes, France, has banned the "burkini" from beaches because "they are a symbol of islamic extremism".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37056742?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I do find those offensive, but banning seems pretty stupid. They can just put on pants or a skirt, a shirt, and tie a towel to their head if they want. Also, even though I am really, really against what even hijabs symbolize, let alone burkas, I also think that people should be allowed to wear whatever the fuck they want. I think the latent sexism in certain cultural traditions and religion should be fought in other ways........ I suppose banning certain garb certainly can lead to some rethinking and discussion, and publicizes the underlying issues though. It's certainly pro-active, even if it doesn't seem right to me.
    but their faces are showing. I don't get the problem.
    The problem is that the "modesty dress", face covered or not (though of course it's worse with the face covered) is a potent symbol of female oppression. It's offensive to me as a woman who cares about ridding the world of any form of female oppression. Symbols have power. Of course, that doesn't mean I think any clothes should be banned unless they pose a security risk.
    then we agree.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

mayor of Cannes, France, has banned the "burkini" from beaches because "they are a symbol of islamic extremism".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37056742?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I do find those offensive, but banning seems pretty stupid. They can just put on pants or a skirt, a shirt, and tie a towel to their head if they want. Also, even though I am really, really against what even hijabs symbolize, let alone burkas, I also think that people should be allowed to wear whatever the fuck they want. I think the latent sexism in certain cultural traditions and religion should be fought in other ways........ I suppose banning certain garb certainly can lead to some rethinking and discussion, and publicizes the underlying issues though. It's certainly pro-active, even if it doesn't seem right to me.
    I don't want to see full head and face covers on either gender in any bank, airport, government building or other higher security area. I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences. it is a security risk. If I see a white guy in a bank with a balaclava and sunglasses on, I'd be more than a little sketched out. If you can't show your face, you're hiding something as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, I agree that when it comes to security it's another matter altogether. Simple laws forbidding covered faces in particular higher security places wouldn't be hard, and I 100% agree that such requirements should be enforced. BTW, I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences either way. My attitude about this has nothing to do with being PC. I just give a shit about people having a right to wear whatever they want to, for better or worse. I don't have to approve of what they wear. It's just about personal liberty. Of course such garb isn't always what the women want to wear - they are made to wear it is a lot of cases (in all the other cases, they are brainwashed and want to wear it). But simply forcing them to dress a different way isn't the way to confront the underlying issue.
    I agree regarding addressing the underlying issue. And I don't think a total ban should exist for them wearing those silly costumes in public. But I don't oppose rules/laws restricting or banning them in areas where higher security is necessary. It is their right to wear them. It is our right to protect ourselves. If they make a choice to wear them, they are also then making a choice not to enter into those venues where the costumes are restricted. They can also make a choice to take them off and enter those places. So they still get to have that choice. Everyone makes choices every day that come with consequences or trade-offs.

I attend sporting events. We are restricted on the size of bag we can carry in, and there are restrictions about what is in those bags. Done for safety reasons. I can chose to comply and go in. Or I can decide I'd rather carry my pocket knife and my backpack, and will be denied entry. I don't necessarily like those choices, but I know that if I want to see the game, I abide by the rules.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't want to see full head and face covers on either gender in any bank, airport, government building or other higher security area. I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences. it is a security risk. If I see a white guy in a bank with a balaclava and sunglasses on, I'd be more than a little sketched out. If you can't show your face, you're hiding something as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, I agree that when it comes to security it's another matter altogether. Simple laws forbidding covered faces in particular higher security places wouldn't be hard, and I 100% agree that such requirements should be enforced. BTW, I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences either way. My attitude about this has nothing to do with being PC. I just give a shit about people having a right to wear whatever they want to, for better or worse. I don't have to approve of what they wear. It's just about personal liberty. Of course such garb isn't always what the women want to wear - they are made to wear it is a lot of cases (in all the other cases, they are brainwashed and want to wear it). But simply forcing them to dress a different way isn't the way to confront the underlying issue.
    I agree regarding addressing the underlying issue. And I don't think a total ban should exist for them wearing those silly costumes in public. But I don't oppose rules/laws restricting or banning them in areas where higher security is necessary. It is their right to wear them. It is our right to protect ourselves. If they make a choice to wear them, they are also then making a choice not to enter into those venues where the costumes are restricted. They can also make a choice to take them off and enter those places. So they still get to have that choice. Everyone makes choices every day that come with consequences or trade-offs.

I attend sporting events. We are restricted on the size of bag we can carry in, and there are restrictions about what is in those bags. Done for safety reasons. I can chose to comply and go in. Or I can decide I'd rather carry my pocket knife and my backpack, and will be denied entry. I don't necessarily like those choices, but I know that if I want to see the game, I abide by the rules.
    I agree. it's no different up here in Winnipeg where stores and banks have policies listed on their front doors in the winter that bellaclavas be removed before entering the building. same thing.

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

For sure. Public safety trumps individual rights.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Interesting for sure.

The modern trend is to accommodate and make exceptions. For example, the RCMP have adjusted their uniform code to accommodate those that wear turbans.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited August 2016

Interesting for sure.

The modern trend is to accommodate and make exceptions. For example, the RCMP have adjusted their uniform code to accommodate those that wear turbans.

I think common sense is a good way to go about dealing with these things. I personally have no clue why anyone gives a shit if an RCMP officer wants to wear a Turban as part of their regular uniform. It's silly to be against that. I do, however, fully agree that someone who wants to ride a motorcycle shouldn't be able to wear a turban instead of a helmet. Or if an RCMP officer wants to wear a turban instead of full head and face protection while wearing riot gear. One is about safety, the other is not. I don't find it very hard to distinguish between the two.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I think common sense is a good way to go about dealing with these things. I personally have no clue why anyone gives a shit if an RCMP officer wants to wear a Turban as part of their regular uniform. It's silly to be against that. I do, however, fully agree that someone who wants to ride a motorcycle shouldn't be able to wear a turban instead of a helmet. Or if an RCMP officer wants to wear a turban instead of full head and face protection while wearing riot gear. One is about safety, the other is not. I don't find it very hard to distinguish between the two.
    I disagree. The RCMP have a uniform that all officers have to adhere to....unless you have a religious headscarf. it's stupid. Your religious beliefs shouldn't trump the uniform for your job you chose to do. it's the same at my work. I work in an office. the dress code explicitly states "no hats or headwear unless for religious significance". to me that's inequal policy. it's stupid. I don't care that much, because I don't wear hats to the office anyway, but stop making these stupid considerations. It's just one of those "roll your eyes" types of things.

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I disagree. The RCMP have a uniform that all officers have to adhere to....unless you have a religious headscarf. it's stupid. Your religious beliefs shouldn't trump the uniform for your job you chose to do. it's the same at my work. I work in an office. the dress code explicitly states "no hats or headwear unless for religious significance". to me that's inequal policy. it's stupid. I don't care that much, because I don't wear hats to the office anyway, but stop making these stupid considerations. It's just one of those "roll your eyes" types of things.

Who gives a crap about adhering to a uniform to the point where sikhs can't wear a turban though? I think that's just pointless stubbornness. There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of respect for people and their beliefs as long as it doesn't threaten safety. I think it's pretty mindless to just say the rules are the rules, and no amount of logic or reason is going to make me bend them.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

Who gives a crap about adhering to a uniform to the point where sikhs can't wear a turban though? I think that's just pointless stubbornness. There is nothing wrong with showing a bit of respect for people and their beliefs as long as it doesn't threaten safety. I think it's pretty mindless to just say the rules are the rules, and no amount of logic or reason is going to make me bend them.
    it's not stubbornness. I'm not going to argue against the office wear. but the RCMP? that uniform has been in place for decades. it's revered. all I'm saying is the same rules should apply for all. fine, if the hat doesn't matter, then don't make anyone else wear it. I know separation of church and state isn't defined in canada like it is the US, if at all, but I'm just not a fan of giving people a pass in any avenue for religious or cultural reasons. If I wanted to be a cop in the mid east, and a turban was part of the uniform, I'd wear it.

I don't agree with assimilation. I believe people should be able to do and wear and worship no matter what no matter where in their personal lives, or if they work in the private sector. but when you are a public servant, to me that's different. if the organization wants to evolve, then fine, evolve. but don't bend for ONE group.

www.headstonesband.com

I just think it's a slippery slope that if you allow the turban on "religious grounds", who's to say the next fight won't be for a different shirt or pants on those same grounds. you just set a bad precedent. if the argument is "if it's no hazard to public safety", then why bother with the uniform at all? just let them wear what they want as long as they have a badge and a gun.

www.headstonesband.com

edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

it's not stubbornness. I'm not going to argue against the office wear. but the RCMP? that uniform has been in place for decades. it's revered. all I'm saying is the same rules should apply for all. fine, if the hat doesn't matter, then don't make anyone else wear it. I know separation of church and state isn't defined in canada like it is the US, if at all, but I'm just not a fan of giving people a pass in any avenue for religious or cultural reasons. If I wanted to be a cop in the mid east, and a turban was part of the uniform, I'd wear it.

I don't agree with assimilation. I believe people should be able to do and wear and worship no matter what no matter where in their personal lives, or if they work in the private sector. but when you are a public servant, to me that's different. if the organization wants to evolve, then fine, evolve. but don't bend for ONE group.
    I can think an RCMP uniform can be equally revered, maybe even more revered, if there is a turban with it. It is a display of Canada's multiculturalism. Plus, it looks pretty sharp. How do you feel about the skirts that are a part of the women's dress uniform??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on

I just think it's a slippery slope that if you allow the turban on "religious grounds", who's to say the next fight won't be for a different shirt or pants on those same grounds. you just set a bad precedent. if the argument is "if it's no hazard to public safety", then why bother with the uniform at all? just let them wear what they want as long as they have a badge and a gun.

Common sense. It's not that hard.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I agree with you, Hugh.

And PJSoul... with regards to the 'turban vs a helmet'... fair enough. But if you get a head injury choosing not to wear a helmet because you are wearing a turban... then why should the public system pay your medical expenses?

As far as I'm concerned, in that instance... you pay yourself.
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I agree with you, Hugh.

And PJSoul... with regards to the 'turban vs a helmet'... fair enough. But if you get a head injury choosing not to wear a helmet because you are wearing a turban... then why should the public system pay your medical expenses?

It's not the medical bills that I'm concerned about (plus, that one dangerously slippery slope you're talking about. By that logic, ALL accidental injury resulting from someone's decision wouldn't be covered). It's the life of the driver, plus, and I guess more relevant to the argument, the life of anyone else who happens to be involved. I can't imagine how traumatic it is for witnesses and other involved drivers to see or be in some way responsible for some guy's brains being sprayed all over their windshield. Plus, for SAFETY rules, I don't think they should even be flexible. I'm not comfortable letting some 18 year old Sikh decide that he's invincible enough to ride a motorcycle with a turban instead of a helmet. I think most people also believe that seat belt laws should apply to all. Same goes for bike helmets.
    PJ_Soul said:

you overestimate the general populace and its effect on policy.

www.headstonesband.com

PJ_Soul said:

you overestimate the general populace and its effect on policy.
    I guess not, because turbans are allowed with the RCMP uniform, and it hasn't caused any problems at all. Nothing's been eroded, no pride has been lost.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I can think an RCMP uniform can be equally revered, maybe even more revered, if there is a turban with it. It is a display of Canada's multiculturalism. Plus, it looks pretty sharp. How do you feel about the skirts that are a part of the women's dress uniform??
    again, I have zero issue with them evolving the uniforms to fit the times. women aren't allowed to wear a flowery skirt from home. If you want to have an officially distributed RCMP turban adorned with the official markings/badge/insignia, have at er. my issue is someone being allowed to wear something that is not part of the official uniform.

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

I agree with you, Hugh.

It's not the medical bills that I'm concerned about (plus, that one dangerously slippery slope you're talking about. By that logic, ALL accidental injury resulting from someone's decision wouldn't be covered). It's the life of the driver, plus, and I guess more relevant to the argument, the life of anyone else who happens to be involved. I can't imagine how traumatic it is for witnesses and other involved drivers to see or be in some way responsible for some guy's brains being sprayed all over their windshield. Plus, for SAFETY rules, I don't think they should even be flexible. I'm not comfortable letting some 18 year old Sikh decide that he's invincible enough to ride a motorcycle with a turban instead of a helmet. I think most people also believe that seat belt laws should apply to all. Same goes for bike helmets.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here?

You've argued for common sense, but here you speak of a slippery slope?

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Interesting for sure.

again, I have zero issue with them evolving the uniforms to fit the times. women aren't allowed to wear a flowery skirt from home. If you want to have an officially distributed RCMP turban adorned with the official markings/badge/insignia, have at er. my issue is someone being allowed to wear something that is not part of the official uniform.
    I am not sure if the RCMP has an official uniform turban or not, but if not, they easily could if they wanted to and no one would complain. If they don't, then I guess it doesn't matter to them. This is a non-issue.
    edited August 2016
    Okay, after looking a bit, I found that there is an RCMP issued turban and various dress rules for them: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyuniforms/canadiancavalry/rcmpturban.htm

PJ_Soul said:

Okay, after looking a bit, I found that there is an RCMP issued turban and various dress rules for them: http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyuniforms/canadiancavalry/rcmpturban.htm

well there you go. crisis averted.

www.headstonesband.com

:lol: