Another Attack in France (Nice)

Comments

• Outside of the logistics of boycotting middle eastern countries... I'm in agreement with you.

I would also add that simply leaving those countries now that we've created a shitstorm might not be the wisest thing. It might be... but there's an awful contingency that seems to fill the void when we do. The people left behind and at the mercy of- say IS- make me hesitate before suggesting to vacate. I don't know if it's as easy as it sounds?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The only way to rid the Middle East of Isis is boots on the ground ... but not Canadian boots. The Middle East will always be a shit storm or at least in my lifetime it has. I don't see that war in Syria ending anytime soon. And I do think Canada can be energy independent ... Trudeau and his radical liberal premier friends are standing in the way ... he'd rather do business with the Saudi's ... absolutely one of the worst countries in the world ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • KatKat Posts: 4,832
    Muslims Attend Catholic Mass Across France In Powerful Show Of Unity
    One group of Muslims held a banner reading: “Love for all. Hate for none.”
    07/31/2016 02:57 pm E
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslims-catholic-mass-france_us_579e3c67e4b0e2e15eb63576?section=

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Kat said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslims-catholic-mass-france_us_579e3c67e4b0e2e15eb63576?section=

That's nice they have freedom to do that.
    Can they do that in the middle east?
    What would happen if they did?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Kat said:

I think this is just beautiful.

It's tough to say, but I have to be honest...

I do hold hatred for some, and really try and hope to let most if not all of it be released and gone over time.
  • hedonist said:

Kat said:

I do hold hatred for some, and really try and hope to let most if not all of it be released and gone over time.
    Some people do a really good job of earning other people's hatred.

I'm of the opinion it's not so much people's jobs to forgive hatred as much as it is people's jobs to not deserve hatred.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hedonist said:

Kat said:

I know it's tough not to go the hatred route but hatred is such a heavy emotion and the only person it hurts is you. it's way too negative an emotion to entertain. i feel "they" win if hate enters my soul. don't get me wrong, killers and those who oppress need to go. but I won't allow myself to hate them to my detriment. my overwhelming emotion is sadness that these people devalue their fellow humans so much that their actions become abhorrent.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Kat said:

I know it's tough not to go the hatred route but hatred is such a heavy emotion and the only person it hurts is you. it's way too negative an emotion to entertain. i feel "they" win if hate enters my soul. don't get me wrong, killers and those who oppress need to go. but I won't allow myself to hate them to my detriment. my overwhelming emotion is sadness that these people devalue their fellow humans so much that their actions become abhorrent.
    Oh it's purely emotional for me. On a par with what I fantasize about doing to those who fuck with the weak or innocent.

Visceral...and misguided? Perhaps. And not necessarily proud of it, but - this is how I feel.

My selfishness will always put me and mine first, which, I guess, continues the circle.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

Kat said:

Oh it's purely emotional for me. On a par with what I fantasize about doing to those who fuck with the weak or innocent.

Visceral...and misguided? Perhaps. And not necessarily proud of it, but - this is how I feel.

My selfishness will always put me and mine first, which, I guess, continues the circle.
    not misguided. I do see that to hate someone for their actions is as you said, visceral. and I don't think its something to feel shameful about. and I def don't see it in any way as being selfish.

It's really tough to rise above the boiling cauldron of hatred we humans have thrown ourselves into and tbh I'm not even sure I can define hatred. is it to feel so negatively towards someone that we wish them harm, even death? I don't know. All I know is it feels like a hard rock in my soul and so I'm choosing to neutralise it. I don't believe people's actions happen in a vacuum and as a society, as the human race collectively, we seem to be hamstrung to address root causes and therefore find solutions.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• lukin2006 said:

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    You got that right.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited August 2016

hedonist said:

Kat said:

I'm of the opinion it's not so much people's jobs to forgive hatred as much as it is people's jobs to not deserve hatred.
    Yes, I agree with that, but the issue these days is that most of the hatred that is causing problems in the world is not deserved. That is the problem.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

lukin2006 said:

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    You got that right.
    So you guys think that if Muslims in, say, Cairo or Baghdad tried to show some support by going to a Christian church they would be executed?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

hedonist said:

Kat said:

Yes, I agree with that, but the issue these days is that most of the hatred that is causing problems in the world is not deserved. That is the problem.
    Correct.
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    You got that right.
    So you guys think that if Muslims in, say, Cairo or Baghdad tried to show some support by going to a Christian church they would be executed?
    Theyd have their heads lopped off by midnight ... truth hurts for some I suppose.

• lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    You got that right.
    Theyd have their heads lopped off by midnight ... truth hurts for some I suppose.
    Or beat to death in the streets in front of cheering crowds- like that Muslim woman 'accused' of the egregious offence of throwing away a Quran.

By her neighbours no less.

A horrific display of madness.
    edited August 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

Kat said:

Heads would roll ...
    You got that right.
    I assume your are being facetious? What information are you using to form this assumption? I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong... it's just that it's a bold assumption unless you have a good reason to think it would really happen.
    ^^^somewhat, but it is a common practice in Middle East.

• lukin2006 said:

The mass killings have become primetime media material these days, but I think what gets lost waiting for the next sensational extremist action are the daily activities within that region that are, quite frankly, deplorable. I speak mostly to the degradation of women.
    edited August 2016

lukin2006 said:

The mass killings have become primetime media material these days, but I think what gets lost waiting for the next sensational extremist action are the daily activities within that region that are, quite frankly, deplorable. I speak mostly to the degradation of women.
    I am not denying that there are terrible scenes of public beheadings and massacres and whatnot happening in SOME places in the Middle East. But the Middle East is a big fucking place, and that kind of thing is not happening everywhere. Not at all. There are still many places there where people aren't being slaughtered by fanatics for stupid shit. Let's all keep that in mind please. It's probably best to be more specific that "the Middle East" when attributing such actions to a city, region, or country.
  • PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

I am not denying that there are terrible scenes of public beheadings and massacres and whatnot happening in SOME places in the Middle East. But the Middle East is a big fucking place, and that kind of thing is not happening everywhere. Not at all. There are still many places there where people aren't being slaughtered by fanatics for stupid shit. Let's all keep that in mind please. It's probably best to be more specific that "the Middle East" when attributing such actions to a city, region, or country.
    Ok.
    How about this, let's refer to all the places that practice Sharia law in the big fucking place called the Middle East.
    Do that and you will find the Middle East isn't that big but a very specific pointed place in the world that practices barbaric acts.

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

lukin2006 said:

Agreed ... this country disappoints me because we still buy oil off those barbaric fuckers when we got oil here and the lunatics running these provinces in the east keep putting up roadblocks .... whatcha gonna do I guess. Of I guess to some here we need to stop using oil, good luck with that.

Quotes fucked up

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mayor of Cannes, France, has banned the "burkini" from beaches because "they are a symbol of islamic extremism".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37056742?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mayor of Cannes, France, has banned the "burkini" from beaches because "they are a symbol of islamic extremism".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37056742?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

I do find those offensive, but banning seems pretty stupid. They can just put on pants or a skirt, a shirt, and tie a towel to their head if they want. Also, even though I am really, really against what even hijabs symbolize, let alone burkas, I also think that people should be allowed to wear whatever the fuck they want. I think the latent sexism in certain cultural traditions and religion should be fought in other ways........ I suppose banning certain garb certainly can lead to some rethinking and discussion, and publicizes the underlying issues though. It's certainly pro-active, even if it doesn't seem right to me.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

I do find those offensive, but banning seems pretty stupid. They can just put on pants or a skirt, a shirt, and tie a towel to their head if they want. Also, even though I am really, really against what even hijabs symbolize, let alone burkas, I also think that people should be allowed to wear whatever the fuck they want. I think the latent sexism in certain cultural traditions and religion should be fought in other ways........ I suppose banning certain garb certainly can lead to some rethinking and discussion, and publicizes the underlying issues though. It's certainly pro-active, even if it doesn't seem right to me.
    I don't want to see full head and face covers on either gender in any bank, airport, government building or other higher security area. I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences. it is a security risk. If I see a white guy in a bank with a balaclava and sunglasses on, I'd be more than a little sketched out. If you can't show your face, you're hiding something as far as I'm concerned.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited August 2016
    jeffbr said:

PJ_Soul said:

I don't want to see full head and face covers on either gender in any bank, airport, government building or other higher security area. I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences. it is a security risk. If I see a white guy in a bank with a balaclava and sunglasses on, I'd be more than a little sketched out. If you can't show your face, you're hiding something as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, I agree that when it comes to security it's another matter altogether. Simple laws forbidding covered faces in particular higher security places wouldn't be hard, and I 100% agree that such requirements should be enforced. BTW, I don't give two shits about cultural or religious preferences either way. My attitude about this has nothing to do with being PC. I just give a shit about people having a right to wear whatever they want to, for better or worse. I don't have to approve of what they wear. It's just about personal liberty. Of course such garb isn't always what the women want to wear - they are made to wear it is a lot of cases (in all the other cases, they are brainwashed and want to wear it). But simply forcing them to dress a different way isn't the way to confront the underlying issue.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    PJ_Soul said:

but their faces are showing. I don't get the problem.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, if their faces are showing I don't get the problem either. I'm only concerned with the full head/face covering.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

The problem is that the "modesty dress", face covered or not (though of course it's worse with the face covered) is a potent symbol of female oppression. It's offensive to me as a woman who cares about ridding the world of any form of female oppression. Symbols have power. Of course, that doesn't mean I think any clothes should be banned unless they pose a security risk.