Options

Nintendo releases NES mini

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    Okay....so on this Facebook market place thing I talked a guy "down" from $250 to $180. Then this morning I found out the toys r us near me is getting a shipment tomorrow and they open at 8. All these places sell out in minutes as you know. So I don't know how early I should try and get there. You think 7 is early enough?

In the meantime, I just messaged this guy and said if drops price to $100, I'll still buy from him today. Figure I'm alright paying a premium in exchange for not getting up super early on a Sunday and still not being guaranteed the nes anyway....

This is all pretty ridiculous, huh?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Why not just wait...

Why this sudden urge to need to own this and play NES games. You have been able to play forever.

Just wait till you find one for a decent price...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    MayDay10 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    I looked into it today and I am definitely going to make a RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi 3. The instructions are fairly easy and the possibilities are almost endless. I purchased everything I need, including a wireless NES controller for about $100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvYX_7iRRI0

2:51
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq99cf1cuk8
    Failed to boot ... I figured as much
  • Options
    Ok ... my usb micro SD card drive was defective. Got Retropie to download via another adapter.

The British guy in the videos. I know he is really trying to be helpful, but I want to fly to England and kick him in the nuts.

ROMS. the fucking ROMS. How do they work??? Speak English, motherfucker!

• Options
  • Options
    Jason P said:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I had an easier time finding BCBS Rare beer than finding this damn thing...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Jason P said:

Ok ... my usb micro SD card drive was defective. Got Retropie to download via another adapter.

The British guy in the videos. I know he is really trying to be helpful, but I want to fly to England and kick him in the nuts.

Have you had any luck? I have mine fully functional now connected to wifi, 2 bluetooth NES30 controllers and all my ROMS in the and scraped. A couple unimportant things I cant do yet that I need to learn, like manually editing game metadata and getting Sega CD games to work.
    Getting the ROMS and getting them to work was really easy. Where are you running into trouble?

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Jason P said:

Have you had any luck? I have mine fully functional now connected to wifi, 2 bluetooth NES30 controllers and all my ROMS in the and scraped. A couple unimportant things I cant do yet that I need to learn, like manually editing game metadata and getting Sega CD games to work.
    Getting the ROMS and getting them to work was really easy. Where are you running into trouble?

Not sure where to get emulators or ROMs. And I have no idea what scraped is.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Ah, OK.

Just google it. This seems like a good site with a lot of titles and good, working ROMs. They also have ROM packs. If you google ROM packs, you can find torrents as well.
    http://www.emuparadise.me/roms-isos-games.php
    Just follow the download links and organize them in your own folders on your CPU. Some may require unzipping.

The Emulators are built right into the Retropie System. To put your roms onto your Raspberry, follow the instructions at about 13:30 of the video. Have your USB Thumbdrive cleared (not sure if you need it formatted to FAT32, I forgot). Create a Folder called Retropie. Eject it, plug it into the Raspberry, let the lights do their thing, after a little while, take it out, plug it back into your CPU and you will see the ROMs folder, and inside there you see each system. Place the ROMs into the corresponding folder. (Genesis is Megadrive). When you are done, eject your retropie, plug it into the Raspberry again. Let the games to get sucked in, and they will be playable after you restart your system.

Scraping is... how the game shows the information, like at 3:25 of that second video. The game box, rating, release date, description, correct title, etc... Scraping is the word for taking the info from Thegamesdb and saving it onto your system.
    If you are connected to the internet via wifi or direct line... there is a bulk scraper
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx_qIp397sE

There is also an option to scrape manually from the main interface. Press start and it is one of the options. It is slow, but it is necessary to capture so info that the bulk scraper may have missed.

Without scraping, your list of games will probably just show the filename (such as Bubble Bobble (U) ! NES or something like that) with no box or description. It is fine, but aesthetically, it is nice having the bells and whistles.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901
    edited December 2016
    Do you live in Canada? Want a NES Classic Edition? Walmart has them online RIGHT NOW!!! http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/nintendo-entertainment-system-nes-classic-edition-console/6000196418025
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,901
    Sold out!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Amazon has the Japanese Famicom minis available... $140
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Where are these?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    JK_Livin said:

Where are these?

no idea.

Target says to call your local store. I gave up after calling 5.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    I got to the store before 7 am Sunday and was told they had given out all of the tickets before 5:30.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    We can look forward to the same supply / demand Nintendo shenanigans when the Switch comes out next year ....
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I'm over this thing...
  • Options
    Jason P said:

We can look forward to the same supply / demand Nintendo shenanigans when the Switch comes out next year ....

Yep. That's why I've signed up for every pre-order notification possible!
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I think that depends on if it's a Wii hit or a Wii-U blunder.
  • Options

Jason P said:

Wii-U is the first time Nintendo flooded the market and it failed. The Switch is going to trickle out like the mini-NES.
  • Options
    It didn't help that most ppl thought the Wii-U was just a slightly better Wii, when it was actually a completely different system.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Wii-U is the first time Nintendo flooded the market and it failed. The Switch is going to trickle out like the mini-NES.
    This is almost guaranteed. Nintendo dropped the ball bigtime on the Wii-U and the last thing they want to do is create more units then there are demand.
    I hope the Switch is a success. As a frequent traveler, I'd love to be able to take that thing on trips with me.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

"The Nintendo-trickled-out-the-NES-Classic-to-create-hype"-conspiracy

They might overestimate (Wii-U) or underestimate (Wii) demand, but they won't artificially strain their supply. Show me receipts of Nintendo ever doing this.

In what way did Nintendo "flood" the market with the Wii-U?
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

They might overestimate (Wii-U) or underestimate (Wii) demand, but they won't artificially strain their supply. Show me receipts of Nintendo ever doing this.

Sony and Microsoft show no patterns that Nintendo exhibits. My receipts are my eyeballs and father time.
  • Options
    When the NES Classic was first announced, there were plenty of vlogs and blogs with articles suggesting that there'd be no reason for scarcity in supply due to hardware shortages because the chips used were both inexpensive and easy to manufacture. Nintendo created this bullshit themselves. It's not a conspiracy when NO ONE can find these damn things ANYWHERE. And when they do show up, a store gets 1 or 2! I've not seen anything like this since the Playstation 2, and dare I say this is much worse!
    Nintendo had an opportunity to sell a fuckload of these things for Christmas and they failed immensely. Now maybe 5000 households will have one, and I'm willing to bet about 4500 of those households paid 2-5x retail to get one.
    They did the same thing with Amiibos and they're doing it again with the NES Classic. So yes, Nintendo is trickling it out to create hype. Which is absolutely fucking retarded because people were going nuts when it was announced. They KNEW the demand was there and STILL failed to create the supply. It's not doing them any good and it's not doing consumers any good.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited December 2016

When the NES Classic was first announced, there were plenty of vlogs and blogs with articles suggesting that there'd be no reason for scarcity in supply due to hardware shortages because the chips used were both inexpensive and easy to manufacture. Nintendo created this bullshit themselves. It's not a conspiracy when NO ONE can find these damn things ANYWHERE. And when they do show up, a store gets 1 or 2! I've not seen anything like this since the Playstation 2, and dare I say this is much worse!
    Nintendo had an opportunity to sell a fuckload of these things for Christmas and they failed immensely. Now maybe 5000 households will have one, and I'm willing to bet about 4500 of those households paid 2-5x retail to get one.
    They did the same thing with Amiibos and they're doing it again with the NES Classic. So yes, Nintendo is trickling it out to create hype. Which is absolutely fucking retarded because people were going nuts when it was announced. They KNEW the demand was there and STILL failed to create the supply. It's not doing them any good and it's not doing consumers any good.

Seems like a great reason to boycott the product.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Don't even have to boycott it, Nintendo is doing that for us.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Sony and Microsoft show no patterns that Nintendo exhibits. My receipts are my eyeballs and father time.
    So, what you are saying is that there were no problems getting a PS3, PS4 or the Xbox 360 when they launched?