2016 Single

Comments

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Glad to see that something is arriving for folks. But tbh it seems like a couple of throwaway tracks... 
    FR181798 said:
    Its hilarious that 10c were bigging this up saying it would be worth the wait.
    Two previously-unavailable tracks centered around one of the most significant nights/achievements of the band's career. One is from sound check, the other from rehearsal - elements of the Pearl Jam live experience that we rarely get to hear. Track A is one of the most iconic songs of the bands Hall of Fame career, Track B a cover that they've never performed (to my knowledge). What the hell were you guys expecting, an Eddie Vedder and Jesus Christ "Ebony and Ivory" duet?

Some people will never be happy, I swear...
    Eh. Yeah, Alive is one of their most celebrated songs but i suppose i've just heard live and on record so many times now it just doesn't excite me that much as a annual single. The Chuck Berry cover might be fun for a spin or two though. Not the end of the world here bud. Was thinking that they might just do something a little more special being that we haven't got a annual single in almost 2 years. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Glad to see that something is arriving for folks. But tbh it seems like a couple of throwaway tracks... 
    FR181798 said:
    Two previously-unavailable tracks centered around one of the most significant nights/achievements of the band's career. One is from sound check, the other from rehearsal - elements of the Pearl Jam live experience that we rarely get to hear. Track A is one of the most iconic songs of the bands Hall of Fame career, Track B a cover that they've never performed (to my knowledge). What the hell were you guys expecting, an Eddie Vedder and Jesus Christ "Ebony and Ivory" duet?

Eh. Yeah, Alive is one of their most celebrated songs but i suppose i've just heard live and on record so many times now it just doesn't excite me that much as a annual single. The Chuck Berry cover might be fun for a spin or two though. Not the end of the world here bud. Was thinking that they might just do something a little more special being that we haven't got a annual single in almost 2 years. 
    This is what I was thinking, I'm not disappointed in the song choice, to me it's just okay. Just funny how they said it was going to be worth the wait. Like there was some big reason for the delay and that it was going to be something special/different this year.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Just to rehash the point. Since they moved the cut off date to the end of the year I don't think the 7" has come out in that particular year has it. They all get shipped at the one time no matter when you paid in the previous year. Usually it's about halfway into the following year. Therefore this single is around 6 months later than the recent usual.
  • PJ2k3PJ2k3 Posts: 218
    Yeah, I'm confused too.  What did I get for my $40 in 2016????  Do I get another Deep & single in 2017?!  I don't understand why it's so hard to plan ahead...
    9/24/96, 6/14/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 9/1/00, 9/4/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 8/7/08 (Eddie solo)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    PJ2k3 said:
    Yeah, I'm confused too.  What did I get for my $40 in 2016????  Do I get another Deep & single in 2017?!  I don't understand why it's so hard to plan ahead...
    That's what I don't get.  Have everything ready for the current year by Feb 1.  Ship out all January subscribers beggining that date, then everyone else as they sign up throughout the year.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    edited December 2017
    Alive with Krusen 26 yrs later is a pretty cool choice. 

Like i said, we’re probably not getting another Strangest Tribe
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,060
     What the hell were you guys expecting, an Eddie Vedder and Jesus Christ "Ebony and Ivory" duet?
    :lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Since I received it as a present, I now consider side 4 of the LP Avocado (just Inside Job) to be a WAY overdue, but still mondo amazing, Xmas single.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:

This is what I was thinking, I'm not disappointed in the song choice, to me it's just okay. Just funny how they said it was going to be worth the wait. Like there was some big reason for the delay and that it was going to be something special/different this year.
    I still don't get it. What exactly would have qualified as "worth the wait" or "special/different" to you? A soundcheck track with Dave Krusen on drums is pretty damn special. A rehearsal-session cover that none of us have ever heard them play is certainly different. I mean, if you were expecting them to put a brand new album-ready single on the holiday vinyl I think your expectations may be way too high.

I can  picture the band choosing these tracks, feeling like they're sharing something intimate and unique with fans from their biggest honor as musicians (which would also explain why these didn't come out earlier, as the R&R HOF induction wasn't until April), excited for the reaction of a fan base that tends to covet unheard / behind-the-scenes / special guest type treats, only to have people shit on their choices because they aren't "special" enough. Honestly, it makes me a little sad.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2017
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:

I still don't get it. What exactly would have qualified as "worth the wait" or "special/different" to you? A soundcheck track with Dave Krusen on drums is pretty damn special. A rehearsal-session cover that none of us have ever heard them play is certainly different. I mean, if you were expecting them to put a brand new album-ready single on the holiday vinyl I think your expectations may be way too high.

I can  picture the band choosing these tracks, feeling like they're sharing something intimate and unique with fans from their biggest honor as musicians (which would also explain why these didn't come out earlier, as the R&R HOF induction wasn't until April), excited for the reaction of a fan base that tends to covet unheard / behind-the-scenes / special guest type treats, only to have people shit on their choices because they aren't "special" enough. Honestly, it makes me a little sad.
    I think this would all be a moot point, if they had just gotten a 2016 vinyl to everyone in late '16 or early '17 and this ROF release as the 2017 release. Everyone would be pretty happy I bet.
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:

The deeper issue at hand for me, is that we were given tracks that were recorded in 2017, only a few months ago, but were led to believe, even before that time, that the single was already in production and we'd be "receiving it shortly." I'm not disappointed in the song selection per se, but I am with disappointed with the fact that we were given something that in all honesty, required no real extra effort by the band, outside of perhaps some minimal involvement with artwork, as they probably record just about everything they do now, and the tracks only needed to be mixed and sent to pressing in the last few months, and nothing was worked on or prepared in 2016, the actual membership year for which we should have received our benefits long ago. And with the somewhat obvious error of printing 2016 on 'Deep' and '2017' on the 7", it's apparent that this was thrown together in the last few months to quell everyone's demand for something they paid for nearly 2 years ago. More than any of this though, is that regardless of how big a fan I am of this band and their music, or with the song selection they've given us - it is strictly a CUSTOMER SERVICE issue and getting something we paid for, in a reasonable amount of time, or SOME communication of why it took so long to receive, and clarification as to exactly what membership year's benefit we just received.

Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong, and this was all planned a year and a half ago, and there's already something in production for our 2017 membership. Maybe it'll even be big, bold, and free.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    FR181798 said:
    FR181798 said:

The deeper issue at hand for me, is that we were given tracks that were recorded in 2017, only a few months ago, but were led to believe, even before that time, that the single was already in production and we'd be "receiving it shortly." I'm not disappointed in the song selection per se, but I am with disappointed with the fact that we were given something that in all honesty, required no real extra effort by the band, outside of perhaps some minimal involvement with artwork, as they probably record just about everything they do now, and the tracks only needed to be mixed and sent to pressing in the last few months, and nothing was worked on or prepared in 2016, the actual membership year for which we should have received our benefits long ago. And with the somewhat obvious error of printing 2016 on 'Deep' and '2017' on the 7", it's apparent that this was thrown together in the last few months to quell everyone's demand for something they paid for nearly 2 years ago. More than any of this though, is that regardless of how big a fan I am of this band and their music, or with the song selection they've given us - it is strictly a CUSTOMER SERVICE issue and getting something we paid for, in a reasonable amount of time, or SOME communication of why it took so long to receive, and clarification as to exactly what membership year's benefit we just received.

Then again, maybe I'm totally wrong, and this was all planned a year and a half ago, and there's already something in production for our 2017 membership. Maybe it'll even be big, bold, and free.
    I don’t disagree with your logic regarding the customer service.  But there has always been a disconnect between the club and fans when information is concerned.  This really isn’t something new, so it’s hard for me to get that aggravated. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,859
    The January newsletter might have some info and help clear up all the confusion about the annual single.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    edited December 2017
     So I paid $20 for my annual Digital membership and nothing for 2016.    :|

Post edited by E.K on
  • PingfahPingfah Posts: 350
    ski-bum said:
    You people should thank god your not starving to death somewhere.
    Pretty smug attitude from somebody who calls themselves a ski bum. If you are happy to pay for things you don't get, then you be happy being a sucker, but lay off the judgement.

And be careful not to catch an edge, life is a harsh mistress.
  • KC138045 said:
    justam said:
    I think the real elephant in the room is that they don’t seem to want to make a holiday single anymore.  There is absolutely no enthusiasm for the project.  Not only no enthusiasm, they can’t even seem to force themselves to do it!  The real question for the curious is “why?” 
    Almost 26 years together as a band.  They're all older with families and have other projects besides Pearl Jam. Priorities and interest change over time. 
    Ok I respect that. But they’re still taking my money. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Lets not kid ourselves.  The $20 is for the right to have a chance at 10C tickets. The rest is just gravy. 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,592
    KC138045 said:
    justam said:
    I think the real elephant in the room is that they don’t seem to want to make a holiday single anymore.  There is absolutely no enthusiasm for the project.  Not only no enthusiasm, they can’t even seem to force themselves to do it!  The real question for the curious is “why?” 
    Almost 26 years together as a band.  They're all older with families and have other projects besides Pearl Jam. Priorities and interest change over time. 
    Ok I respect that. But they’re still taking my money. 
    Maybe so, but you are sending it to them.
  • BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Get_Right said:
    Lets not kid ourselves.  The $20 is for the right to have a chance at 10C tickets. The rest is just gravy. 
    Some of us pay $40. The extra $20 for most of us is primarily for the annual single
    Get_Right said:
    I pay $40 for ALL the membership benefits they are supposed to provide.  The rest isn't "just gravy."  My mashed potatoes are still naked. I"m not kidding myself or anyone else.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    JojoRice said:
    The January newsletter might have some info and help clear up all the confusion about the annual single.
    or not.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Why are some rabidly insistent on defending this whole process? I mean, I am not overly bent out of shape on it, and do, to a degree, still give 10club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to clarification/rectifying/etc...But the defense or excuse making is pretty ridiculous 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    Banjo said:
    Get_Right said:
    Some of us pay $40. The extra $20 for most of us is primarily for the annual single
    I have never understood the value of the analog membership. But anyway, its been many years since they delivered the single on time. Many years. The lack of explanation is also classic 10C. 
    edited December 2017
    Get_Right said:
    I pay $40 for ALL the membership benefits they are supposed to provide.  The rest isn't "just gravy."  My mashed potatoes are still naked. I"m not kidding myself or anyone else.
    That is actually funny! 
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    NewJPage said:
    Why are some rabidly insistent on defending this whole process? I mean, I am not overly bent out of shape on it, and do, to a degree, still give 10club the benefit of the doubt when it comes to clarification/rectifying/etc...But the defense or excuse making is pretty ridiculous 
    thanks. that's true. I think most people on here think they are cool if they pretend to not care.
    Get_Right said:
    Banjo said:
    Get_Right said:
    I have never understood the value of the analog membership. But anyway, its been many years since they delivered the single on time. Many years. The lack of explanation is also classic 10C. 
    That doesn't make it acceptable.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    NewJPage said:
    Just the sycophants excusing bad behavior.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Get_Right said:
    Banjo said:
    Get_Right said:
    That doesn't make it acceptable.
    It makes it predictable. But hey, it looks like they got around to it this year so you should be happy.