Pearl Jam, Inc.--sold out?

Comments

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 3,050
    edited June 2016
    This sheep remark pisses me off.. I'm down with open debate and conversations that will never find an ending, but your "sheeeeeeeep Baaaaaaa" comment is just shit. So I'm a fkn sheep to you? You got a lot of nerve man….
    Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,023

Most of the apparel I would never consider wearing, it looks like Eddie Bauer or the Fucking Gap, hella safe and hella boring and hella corporate PJ looking logos, I bought one shirt from the shop and that was the Mount Ranier one that's in there now, most of that dull ass unimaginative shit, I would kick my own ass if I wore that, go wear that shit to fucking TGI Friday's or Chili's, take a few chances once and a while, hella conservative, but whatever I guess people buy the shit, although I never see anyone wearing it, maybe they wear it mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage?

No need to be quite so insulting. You could have gotten your point across with just the 1st sentence.
    Personally, your apparel that I've seen in pics you've posted isn't something I'd wear.
    To each their own. 'Nuff said.

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016

mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

The albums aren't selling anymore so they need to sell more merch or jack the concert ticket prices. Their fanbase is also more grown up now and can afford to buy more, which makes it logical to offer more.

And also, they were not as famous in the 90s so offering sandals or playing cards wouldn't work as good as T-shirts I guess. Such things were markering materials instead (Viralogy shots, door mats etc).

I think it's funny that they sell dog collars and such. But I don't really care. I care more about them starting to swing from specially made lights and turning into a Bruce Springsteen-amusement-park-with-fun-for-the-whole-family kind of band. But hey, every band grows older and changes focus. Except for Dylan and Neil Young I guess.

umm.....
    Neil Young - $400 Pono Player ....
    Dylan doing Super Bowl commercials for a car company....

in 2009- Dylan - Sponsored by Citibank
    Bob Dylan made a surprise announcement that he would be releasing a Christmas album called Christmas In The Heart. What's even more unbelievable is that there is a major corporate tie in to the album…from a bank! Citibank will reward 13 million customers by making the album available for download a week before it goes on sale.
    Times they are a-changin', huh Bob?

PJ Tours have no Corporate Sponsors... most tours do.

Want a $20 canvas bag from Dylan's website - posters, stickers...etc.etc.. ????

Neil Young coffee cup through his website?
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    That works out about £82 per ticket.
    I've compared with some other acts at stadiums and they are about £65.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    $86 per ticket is nearer £60/65 rather than £82. AC/DC was over £80 the other day and I'd know I'd see PJ any day rather than AC/DC.

There are so many arguments as to what's a fair price and what forces drive the price of tickets. When all is said and done it comes down to personal choice and whether we're in the position to pay for tix or not, some are. Some aren't and wish they were.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    IamTom said:

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    That works out about £82 per ticket.
    I've compared with some other acts at stadiums and they are about £65.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    $86 per ticket is nearer £60/65 rather than £82. AC/DC was over £80 the other day and I'd know I'd see PJ any day rather than AC/DC.

There are so many arguments as to what's a fair price and what forces drive the price of tickets. When all is said and done it comes down to personal choice and whether we're in the position to pay for tix or not, some are. Some aren't and wish they were.
    D'oh! My conversion was wrong. In that case it's still similar to other acts, just wouldn't necessarily say they are very reasonable in comparison.
    As I said before, I'm not complaining on this point and completely agree with you're second paragraph.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    deadendp said:

Most of the apparel I would never consider wearing, it looks like Eddie Bauer or the Fucking Gap, hella safe and hella boring and hella corporate PJ looking logos, I bought one shirt from the shop and that was the Mount Ranier one that's in there now, most of that dull ass unimaginative shit, I would kick my own ass if I wore that, go wear that shit to fucking TGI Friday's or Chili's, take a few chances once and a while, hella conservative, but whatever I guess people buy the shit, although I never see anyone wearing it, maybe they wear it mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage?

Don't hold back Hank
    Tell ys how you really feel

:rock_on:
    Well you know me, I would be happy with other color choices even, I will design them for the band since they lack the imagination to come up with some different apparel options :wink: besides they should be focused on music anyway. not everyone wants a black or white or navy or forest green or gray shirts, that is just boring and does nothing to stand out. When I wear my PJ shit, I want people to know it's Pearl Jam, I am always proudly representing my fandom, I don't need discreet shit that only other fans would recognize, being a Pearl Jam isn't some secret society, if someone is looking at my apparel and trying to figure out what it is, that is a waste of my money. I gotta say it now, better loud than too late!
    I was wondering how long it would take before you would repeat this suggestion. I know I have read this same response from you several times in many threads over the years. I guess it never hurts to dream.

I'm quite good with the shirt designs I have collected over the years. If I don't like, I don't buy.
    I see someone was served a full cup of negativity today, without dreams, what is life? good thing I don't give a #### about your opinion

No need to be quite so insulting. You could have gotten your point across with just the 1st sentence.
    Personally, your apparel that I've seen in pics you've posted isn't something I'd wear.
    To each their own. 'Nuff said.

Please like I don't have to deal with loads of negativity from other members on here, the difference is, mine was a lot of tongue and cheek, but some people here have no sense of humor or don't understand sarcasm, so keep taking life so seriously, I don't care
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,906
    Mike summed it up pretty well: the band loves Fugazi but they were never going to be Fugazi.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243

deadendp said:

Don't hold back Hank

Well you know me, I would be happy with other color choices even, I will design them for the band since they lack the imagination to come up with some different apparel options :wink: besides they should be focused on music anyway. not everyone wants a black or white or navy or forest green or gray shirts, that is just boring and does nothing to stand out. When I wear my PJ shit, I want people to know it's Pearl Jam, I am always proudly representing my fandom, I don't need discreet shit that only other fans would recognize, being a Pearl Jam isn't some secret society, if someone is looking at my apparel and trying to figure out what it is, that is a waste of my money. I gotta say it now, better loud than too late!
    I was wondering how long it would take before you would repeat this suggestion. I know I have read this same response from you several times in many threads over the years. I guess it never hurts to dream.

I'm quite good with the shirt designs I have collected over the years. If I don't like, I don't buy.
    I see someone was served a full cup of negativity today, without dreams, what is life? good thing I don't give a #### about your opinion
    Ummm...Hank? I don't know if this is your idea of "sarcasm" or "having a sense of humor," but there really was no need for this post. No one was served a full, half, or any cup of negativity, but someone was making an observation.
    ELITIST FUK
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    edited June 2016

deadendp said:

Sounds like someone needs a :hug:

or a few words of inspiration...

#SarcasmRules
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

'16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    DerbyDave, have I told you, lately, how much I heart you? :heart:
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:

DerbyDave, have I told you, lately, how much I heart you? :heart:

• northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    went to both Flight To Mars shows, all the people I was with had asked to have their picture with him, but I have never been one to do that sort of thing, he asked me casually if I wanted to have my picture taken with him, had a chance to talk with him, what a cool ass dude, but I don't think his inner Seattle hipster fashion sense, could quite grasp my fashion sense :wink: needless to say I was the only one rocking corduroys and anything remote resembling those colors, anyone else wanting to post pictures they have taken with Mike, that would be cool

Sooooooo I'm guessing sarcasm.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

went to both Flight To Mars shows, all the people I was with had asked to have their picture with him, but I have never been one to do that sort of thing, he asked me casually if I wanted to have my picture taken with him, had a chance to talk with him, what a cool ass dude, but I don't think his inner Seattle hipster fashion sense, could quite grasp my fashion sense :wink: needless to say I was the only one rocking corduroys and anything remote resembling those colors, anyone else wanting to post pictures they have taken with Mike, that would be cool

Sooooooo I'm guessing sarcasm.

Dripping with it
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

deadendp said:

Don't hold back Hank

No negativity at all. Just stating fact. Over the few years that I have been here, you have stated many times about how you would basically be happy to design shirts for Pearl Jam. Fact. Not negative, but truth.

Have you have moved from somewhere else to Seattle to hopefully be a shirt designer for Pearl Jam? I don't know that would be the truth, but connecting the dots, it could be. A dream? Could be. Not negative.

Stating that it doesn't hurt to dream isn't a slam. This is something that you've said several times, leading to me think that your dream job would be as a shirt designer for Pearl Jam. Will it happen? Who knows? My thought is that they way that merch flies off the shelf, they are probably very happy with their current design crew, but you never know when a time will open up. If that is your dream, have at it. I wish you well. (And not in a sarcastic way, I might add. I do truly wish you well.)

DD and SD, I love you guys more than you know. :hug:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I was rocking a corduroy purse...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY said:

I was rocking a corduroy purse...

:smiley:
  • EnterThanmanEnterThanman Posts: 1,057
    mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

Around the time Avacado came out, PJ was still pushing against the mainstream commercial tide, and people on here were hating them for it. I honestly think the band (mostly Ed) got sick of swimming against the tide of what their fans wanted. I prefer their old ways, but I don't buy any of the shitty merch, and I know the band's hearts are still in the music and playing live, and ultimately that's what's most important to me.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl

mwelchons said:

Around the time Avacado came out, PJ was still pushing against the mainstream commercial tide, and people on here were hating them for it. I honestly think the band (mostly Ed) got sick of swimming against the tide of what their fans wanted. I prefer their old ways, but I don't buy any of the shitty merch, and I know the band's hearts are still in the music and playing live, and ultimately that's what's most important to me.
    +100000000000000 I am just here for the music man, plus I already have like 10 vintage Pearl Jam tour shirts that barely get worn anymore, so it's probably a good thing the apparel is less appealing, it's more money I can save to go see live music, which we have a lot of here
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141

mwelchons said:

+100000000000000 I am just here for the music man, plus I already have like 10 vintage Pearl Jam tour shirts that barely get worn anymore, so it's probably a good thing the apparel is less appealing, it's more money I can save to go see live music, which we have a lot of here
    +1

I still like to get the posters for shows I've been to (if it's not completely fugly) but the older I get, the less inclined I am to wear a t-shirt unless it's to a concert or a ball game. Ugly Pearl Jam shirts are a blessing in disguise.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to buy an XL 2016 Analog T-shirt for super cheap????? (kidding, I'll wear it around the house)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,643
    If they were truly "selling out" then they wouldn't sell out of any posters, vinyl, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I like what they're doing. The stuff is well designed, good quality, reasonably priced, and there is something for everyone.

My only complaint is that they're on to the SKU thing but we all knew that was too good to last, right #SkuGuy?
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    edited June 2016
    DeLukin said:

I like what they're doing. The stuff is well designed, good quality, reasonably priced, and there is something for everyone.

My only complaint is that they're on to the SKU thing but we all knew that was too good to last, right #SkuGuy?

Obviously not for EVERYONE, at least 3 different fans in this thread don't like the apparel options, and I do realize most people when they get older they throw in the towel as far as fashion goes so they can be a role model of conservatism for their kids to emulate to help create an even more boring world to be the 2020 version of Leave It To Beaver, and by the way, more power to you, I subscribe to the T.S.Eliot philosophy of "Only those who risk going too far, can find out how far one can actually go", it is far easier to be unoriginal, then to risk wiping out because you weren't afraid to embrace the extreme creative parts of your soul. You can never find anything that everyone will like, because there will be people challenging the norms and the accepted givens that majority of society just accepts without ever questioning it's validity, but whatever, most everyone have thrown in the towel too, so you all decide what's normal, and who gets labeled as a freak, and some of those freaks end up giving up their dreams, and killing their imaginations, just so you won't make them feel different. Not me though, I can give shit less what anyone's opinion of me is, or your sensibilities I may have somehow unintentionally offended.
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851

DeLukin said:

Obviously not for EVERYONE, at least 3 different fans in this thread don't like the apparel options, and I do realize most people when they get older they throw in the towel as far as fashion goes so they can be a role model of conservatism for their kids to emulate to help create an even more boring world to be the 2020 version of Leave It To Beaver, and by the way, more power to you, I subscribe to the T.S.Eliot philosophy of "Only those who risk going too far, can find out how far one can actually go", it is far easier to be unoriginal, then to risk wiping out because you weren't afraid to embrace the extreme creative parts of your soul. You can never find anything that everyone will like, because there will be people challenging the norms and the accepted givens that majority of society just accepts without ever questioning it's validity, but whatever, most everyone have thrown in the towel too, so you all decide what's normal, and who gets labeled as a freak, and some of those freaks end up giving up their dreams, and killing their imaginations, just so you won't make them feel different. Not me though, I can give shit less what anyone's opinion of me is, or your sensibilities I may have somehow unintentionally offended.
    What about intentionally offended, because I'm pretty sure you just called at least 98% of people here mindless boring sheep without knowing shit about them. So you don't like it when anyone doesn't agree with you but you can tell the forum collectively to go get fucked. Good to know you're just here for the music and fuck all the people around you. Have you looked up the definition of hypocrite in the dictionary lately, you might want to give that another perusal. Also while you are there look up acceptance, compassion and just for kicks narcissism. Dude really way rude on so many levels. Go watch some penguins dance and chill out.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle