Pearl Jam, Inc.--sold out?

mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Posts: 4,830
    It's only over doing it if people don't want the stuff, and trust me, peope want the stuff now more than ever
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • ReleaseMeReleaseMe Posts: 745
    stack of ugly posters... you meant Toronto 1 right?
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422
    If they start charging $200 for show tickets, Eddie does a variety show and comeback special like Elvis, Mike gets a Artist edition Squier Stratocaster, and Stone records an album with Justin Bieber, I would say yes...... But I would say they have to do this to pay crew.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    you are the boss of your wallet..do what you like,and let the market speak for itself
    when there are buyers u must have product to sell,
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    They are heavily commercializing themselves as far as merchandise is concerned, but I agree with Weston1283, people want more and more, so the band provides it to us.

Also when the topic of selling out comes up, I always think it's pertinent to talk about the organization they support.

At this point there are a lot of full time employees who expect to get paid every two weeks.

So Pearljam.com is a business.

I'm able to separate the music, and the band, from the commercial necessity that arises from being together for over 20 years and establishing a world class, music, philanthropic, merchandise, Political activism, Art and Entertainment organization.

Not just five guys living under the same idealistic, living out of a van on the road, dream that many of us have in our youth. That time has come and gone.
  • lolobugglolobugg Posts: 8,192
    mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

do you consider the Grateful Dead sellouts?
    just a question....
    PJ's organization has become very Dead-like and that's not a bad thing to me.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168

you are the boss of your wallet

Wow, those are such powerful words. I have to remember that :D
  • TL170678 said:

If they start charging $200 for show tickets, Eddie does a variety show and comeback special like Elvis, Mike gets a Artist edition Squier Stratocaster, and Stone records an album with Justin Bieber, I would say yes...... But I would say they have to do this to pay crew.

Whoa, whoa whoa! Take it easy on The King, man.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    I pass on about 95% of the stuff they sell. Obviously I'm in the minority.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    mwelchons said:

I enjoy many of these items. So for me it's great. To each his own.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    Not really. Band's pretty much stopped making money on selling their actual music. They all make a living from playing shows and selling merch. Pearl Jam puts out a few items a year that seem off, but the rest of it is the standard stuff. Shirts, records etc.... They're nowhere near u2 or metallica level merch availability.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430

you are the boss of your wallet..do what you like,and let the market speak for itself

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Zod said:

Not really. Band's pretty much stopped making money on selling their actual music. They all make a living from playing shows and selling merch. Pearl Jam puts out a few items a year that seem off, but the rest of it is the standard stuff. Shirts, records etc.... They're nowhere near u2 or metallica level merch availability.

this
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn Posts: 748
    edited June 2016
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    ComeToTX said:

Me, too. I don't give a fiddly fuck about most of the bullshit in the shop, but will pick up the occasional T-Shirt and pretty much any vinyl (that can't be purchased elsewhere). Yes, they're commercializing themselves a bit, but I can't really fault them. That's where the money comes from. I just don't buy into it. I'm here for the music.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403

My Greek friend is wise
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i like when these threads pop up when a 10th of the month announcement doesn't go in a member's favor or direction they want. while PJ is guilty of putting out some cheesy, awful merch every now and again, and while their merch machine is bigger than it was just a few years ago, it still pales in comparison to the operation that bands of similar caliber are putting on.

pull up neil young, bruce, the who's websites... their merch section is dripping in cheese and sell out material. pearl jam will get there one day for sure, but as of right now they are still a few steps behind.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    cufflinks, christmas ornaments, bookmarks! :lol:

http://thewhoofficialmerch.com/collections/accessories
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    Yup, lump it or leave it. This is definitely nothing new. I have come to terms with it, and almost never buy anything unless it's actual music, although the very occasional poster might catch my eye too, though I agree that most of them are pretty ugly. Anyway, no skin off my back, and the merch is at least fun to talk about, lol. I really just care about what they're doing musically.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,592
    Pearl Jam offers jobs to local artists, notable artists, etc. PJ's merch has more soul and meaning than most artists merch. That said...yeah, its a business. And yeah...people want it.

I want posters and shirts. I like posters and shirts. Nothing wrong with that.
    "Overcommercialized".....think about this...how much advertising do they do for this? Most people need to be 10 club members to buy things anyway. These are the "superfans" so to speak.

When I walk into Wal Mart and see PJ posters and Tshirts, I might start to think about them being overcommercialized. The closest they came was Backspacer, when they had no record distribution contract, so they offered Backspacer at Target exclusively. But that was simply for people to have access to it.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson Posts: 1,366

Amen.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Merchandising and tours are where the band makes their money so no I don't think they're commercializing themselves or "selling out" so to speak. Now if they came out with their own clothing or fragrance line and the band members start doing reality TV shows then you might have a point. As others have said, you control what you purchase.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    ComeToTX said:

put me right there with you...only thing I care about is t-shirts and that's the ONE thing to me that they don't overdue, or at least haven't put many out that I need to have

• Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Vedd Hedd said:

Pearl Jam offers jobs to local artists, notable artists, etc. PJ's merch has more soul and meaning than most artists merch. That said...yeah, its a business. And yeah...people want it.

I want posters and shirts. I like posters and shirts. Nothing wrong with that.
    "Overcommercialized".....think about this...how much advertising do they do for this? Most people need to be 10 club members to buy things anyway. These are the "superfans" so to speak.

When I walk into Wal Mart and see PJ posters and Tshirts, I might start to think about them being overcommercialized. The closest they came was Backspacer, when they had no record distribution contract, so they offered Backspacer at Target exclusively. But that was simply for people to have access to it.

I was just about say the same. If they were over commercialized then we would see them everywhere we turn like we do with Beyonce or Justin Bieber etc. Shit, half the people I speak to are amazed when I tell them Pearl Jam is still around making quality music and touring. So one could make the argument that they're more under-commercialized than anything.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,433

Merchandising and tours are where the band makes their money so no I don't think they're commercializing themselves or "selling out" so to speak. Now if they came out with their own clothing or fragrance line and the band members start doing reality TV shows then you might have a point. As others have said, you control what you purchase.

Great points in this post. Also, is it bad if I would still buy the fragrance? Wonder what that would smell like!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818

Completely agree with you on this assessment....

All we have to do is reference the Kanye West post about merchandise and then we can state this band is nowhere near commercial
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    A lot of bands are over commercializing but there isnt as much money in bringing out an album these days. Thats why its tours and merch for a lot of bands. Pearl Jam etc have a huge crew of people to pay. As far as all bands go I only buy vinyl, go to the occassional show and only buy a poster if its good and I was there. Posters arent really a big thing here in the UK but are slowly picking up pace. The price of vinyl and variants are even getting too much for me.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Why does this matter though?!! If you don't like you don't have to buy anything...I love the flip flops and everything, it's so cool to have PJ stuff. The years tour has been maybe the best in the last 13 years so selling more ugly t shirts hasn't effect their sound..
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,989
    Meh...
    As others have said, they're not hawking cola or or anything.

And add me to the list of people that don't need the "merch" line...I bought a T at my first show in 1995 and I bought one from their website maybe 10 years ago (the 80s Mariner font...love it). I did hit the merch stand in St. Paul hoping for a shirt that resembled a home team, but it did not, so I did not buy.

I maybe have a little discomfort with the posters because they go the "limited print" route and charge a lot. Why not just produce as many as they can sell for a reasonable price? But I don't have any posters (and I don't get the excitement) so I don't give it much thought.

But as pointed out, touring (which includes selling merch) is where artists make their money. And with filesharing and buying buy the song rather than album, music sales are probably suffering for all of 'em, so I generally don't have an issue.

Some people consider it greedy to sell the boots...and I don't know whether it is or not but so what? I LOVE being able to go to a show and then relive it...And I also have 10 or 12 boots from shows I was not at...at the risk of sounding corny, that's what it's all about...the music. If I ever get rich, I am buying all the boots.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Posts: 985
    Wilds said:

They are heavily commercializing themselves as far as merchandise is concerned, but I agree with Weston1283, people want more and more, so the band provides it to us.

Also when the topic of selling out comes up, I always think it's pertinent to talk about the organization they support.

At this point there are a lot of full time employees who expect to get paid every two weeks.

So Pearljam.com is a business.

I'm able to separate the music, and the band, from the commercial necessity that arises from being together for over 20 years and establishing a world class, music, philanthropic, merchandise, Political activism, Art and Entertainment organization.

Not just five guys living under the same idealistic, living out of a van on the road, dream that many of us have in our youth. That time has come and gone.

This
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045