Pearl Jam, Inc.--sold out?

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    That works out about £82 per ticket.
    I've compared with some other acts at stadiums and they are about £65.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    Tool charges around $100 / ticket. They play a 1 hour & 45 minute set almost as a rule.

Coldplay was charging $180 PER SEAT in the lower bowl at Gillette stadium on the opposite side of the arena from the stage. (This was the fanclub presale..... Still a TM sale)

I know this isn't a sweeping study here, but when I look at how long PJ plays each night, as compared to how much I paid, I think it's a tremendous value.
    In terms of set length, yeah no doubt its a good 3hrs. And my examples were just a couple i quickly looked at as well.
    Its interesting you mentioned coldplay, they were the example i checked in the UK who were actually £65 compared to Pearl Jams £82.
    I just dont really see Pearl Jam tickets as any more reasonable than other acts these days, not that Im complaining, just what I see in my experience.
    Maybe it has to do with locale also.

I don't go to as many shows as I used to. I only see prices for shows I pay attention to. When Faith no More & Primus are in the $65 range, Puscifer is in the $70s, and Tool around the $100 mark, I find the 10c tickets very reasonable @ $78 or $86 a seat.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    buy what you like or don't. i don't pay any attention unless i want to buy it. the beatles had tons of stuff. its a business.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn Posts: 748
    deadendp said:

KP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raisedPosts: 436
    June 10 edited June 10 Flag
    Post edited by KP_McMinn on June 10
    Exponentially serving. Perpetually unnerving. Vehicle swerving.

Please don't edit to a period. Just edit down what you have to say or we'll have to say that you are ON your period. Someone else around here trolls and flames, then goes back and edits to a period and acts like the innocent one. I just don't want to see you get confused with the original period sufferer.

Thread integrity:
    I pass on most of what is sold, too. Some things aren't a great fit for me. Some things, well, I have bills to pay and that's where the money goes. I agree with the person who said that you are in command of your own wallet. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. If PJ was money grubbing and didn't go forth to share their wealth, then maybe I would feel differently. Do they sell more merch? Yes. Do they support more organizations? Yes. That is alright by me.

deadendp said:

KP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raisedPosts: 436
    June 10 edited June 10 Flag
    Post edited by KP_McMinn on June 10
    Exponentially serving. Perpetually unnerving. Vehicle swerving.

Please don't edit to a period. Just edit down what you have to say or we'll have to say that you are ON your period. Someone else around here trolls and flames, then goes back and edits to a period and acts like the innocent one. I just don't want to see you get confused with the original period sufferer.

Thread integrity:
    I pass on most of what is sold, too. Some things aren't a great fit for me. Some things, well, I have bills to pay and that's where the money goes. I agree with the person who said that you are in command of your own wallet. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. If PJ was money grubbing and didn't go forth to share their wealth, then maybe I would feel differently. Do they sell more merch? Yes. Do they support more organizations? Yes. That is alright by me.

Haha! I appreciate your concern, however that is not what happened here. That being said, you will never catch me standing in a line for 4-5 hours for a fucking poster or stickers or hats, what have you. I always get a kick out of seeing adults so happy you buy stickers. Sheeeeeep
    Baaaaaa
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    No need for name calling, KP. Fine if you don't like merch, but it lacks character to mock those who do.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    Tool charges around $100 / ticket. They play a 1 hour & 45 minute set almost as a rule.

Coldplay was charging $180 PER SEAT in the lower bowl at Gillette stadium on the opposite side of the arena from the stage. (This was the fanclub presale..... Still a TM sale)

I know this isn't a sweeping study here, but when I look at how long PJ plays each night, as compared to how much I paid, I think it's a tremendous value.
    In terms of set length, yeah no doubt its a good 3hrs. And my examples were just a couple i quickly looked at as well.
    Its interesting you mentioned coldplay, they were the example i checked in the UK who were actually £65 compared to Pearl Jams £82.
    I just dont really see Pearl Jam tickets as any more reasonable than other acts these days, not that Im complaining, just what I see in my experience.

I don't go to as many shows as I used to. I only see prices for shows I pay attention to. When Faith no More & Primus are in the $65 range, Puscifer is in the $70s, and Tool around the $100 mark, I find the 10c tickets very reasonable @ $78 or $86 a seat.
    Most big artists have tiered pricing too, from cheapish to very expensive. 10C doesn't do that. Their tix are $86. Not $56 (nose bleeds) $86, $160, and $260, like a lot of bigger acts do. You can get GOOD seats for cheaper.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    PJ_Soul said:

Most big artists have tiered pricing too, from cheapish to very expensive. 10C doesn't do that. Their tix are $86. Not $56 (nose bleeds) $86, $160, and $260, like a lot of bigger acts do. You can get GOOD seats for cheaper.
    The $80 per ticket we spend for 10 Club tickets also cuts out the ridiculous service charges and convenience fees that Ticketmaster gets to charge.
    I've had NUMEROUS purchases from other artists thru TM where these "charges" equaled or even exceeded the cost of another ticket!!
    We are extremely fortunate to have this as an option for our tickets!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687
    foodboy said:

buy what you like or don't. i don't pay any attention unless i want to buy it. the beatles had tons of stuff. its a business.

Yup The Beatles had tons of stuff.

A friend of mines mother was a huge Beatles fan in the 60s and bought tons of their merchandise....vinyl everything, bobbleheads, lunch boxes, etc.
    She kept all of it in original packaging and stored carefully and now sells some off occasionally to help fund her retirement!
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    psst, they could charge a lot more for those pit tickets...
    JKIR

i buy stuff i like...
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited June 2016
    mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

The albums aren't selling anymore so they need to sell more merch or jack the concert ticket prices. Their fanbase is also more grown up now and can afford to buy more, which makes it logical to offer more.

And also, they were not as famous in the 90s so offering sandals or playing cards wouldn't work as good as T-shirts I guess. Such things were markering materials instead (Viralogy shots, door mats etc).

I think it's funny that they sell dog collars and such. But I don't really care. I care more about them starting to swing from specially made lights and turning into a Bruce Springsteen-amusement-park-with-fun-for-the-whole-family kind of band. But hey, every band grows older and changes focus. Except for Dylan and Neil Young I guess.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 915
    Wait a minute...you mean you don't NEED PJ playing cards??
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    Understand that other bands market themselves by selling broad offerings of merchandise, but who cares if other bands are doing it; the contents of my post concern only Pearl Jam. I don't think the fact that other bands do it is a strong argument. Also, agree with prior comments that the tickets are not immensely cheap. Reasonable pricing maybe, but far from altruistic. My point is that in my view the mass offering of chintzy merchandise dilutes their brand and makes them less meaningful to me-- notwithstanding whether it's market driven or that fans will buy it. Still cherish my "freak" shirt from Rochester '95 :)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,814
    In terms of ticket prices. They're not going to sell $40 tickets like they did in 2000. Especially for a band of their stature. The prices are reasonable even I can afford them. And considering they play maybe 20 dates a year. Be glad they're not more expensive.
    I miss igotid88

What are those in the background?
    I want one.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Dog collars
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • ComeToTX said:

Dog collars

I kind of thought so I just wasn't sure because I didn't know the patterns they came in.
    Guess I won't be looking for one then.
    Thanks.
  • Not another sell out thread. Good grief, get over it already. They are never gonna sell out. When you hear a burger king commercial and a PJ song is playing in the background. Please be the first to start a sell out thread.

Pearl Jam merchandise is cool, some really nice, some really ugly, some like it all, some like none.

Also the merchandising is another form of artwork or art form and it shows another aspect of the band and is kind of a tiny glimpse of what kinds of things they are into as individuals.

Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn Posts: 748

No need for name calling, KP. Fine if you don't like merch, but it lacks character to mock those who do.

I don't mock those who like merch. I mock those that throw unprovoked insults at me.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    Most of the apparel I would never consider wearing, it looks like Eddie Bauer or the Fucking Gap, hella safe and hella boring and hella corporate PJ looking logos, I bought one shirt from the shop and that was the Mount Ranier one that's in there now, most of that dull ass unimaginative shit, I would kick my own ass if I wore that, go wear that shit to fucking TGI Friday's or Chili's, take a few chances once and a while, hella conservative, but whatever I guess people buy the shit, although I never see anyone wearing it, maybe they wear it mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage?
  • TL170678TL170678 Posts: 422

Not another sell out thread. Good grief, get over it already. They are never gonna sell out. When you hear a burger king commercial and a PJ song is playing in the background. Please be the first to start a sell out thread.

Pearl Jam merchandise is cool, some really nice, some really ugly, some like it all, some like none.

Also the merchandising is another form of artwork or art form and it shows another aspect of the band and is kind of a tiny glimpse of what kinds of things they are into as individuals.

Aah I just thought of the BK jingle
    "EvenFries, whopper Jr. and tasty pies"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited June 2016

Most of the apparel I would never consider wearing, it looks like Eddie Bauer or the Fucking Gap, hella safe and hella boring and hella corporate PJ looking logos, I bought one shirt from the shop and that was the Mount Ranier one that's in there now, most of that dull ass unimaginative shit, I would kick my own ass if I wore that, go wear that shit to fucking TGI Friday's or Chili's, take a few chances once and a while, hella conservative, but whatever I guess people buy the shit, although I never see anyone wearing it, maybe they wear it mowing the lawn or taking out the garbage?

I like their t-shirts, because it's always a surprise. Instead of being another Stickman-tshirt or like Iron Maidens and Metallicas that allways follow the same theme.

I dig it that they try to make well illustrated/designed t-shirts first that you want to wear almost besides being Pearl Jam shirts. I like that way of thinking. Hehe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I love it when these threads make their annual appearance! Watching you all trying to convince the other their opinion is more right is entertaining!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687

Don't hold back Hank
    Tell ys how you really feel

:rock_on:

Not another sell out thread. Good grief, get over it already. They are never gonna sell out. When you hear a burger king commercial and a PJ song is playing in the background. Please be the first to start a sell out thread.

What's wrong with healthy discourse about this topic? Like the Pearl Jam shop, if you don't like it, don't read it or respond. You're in charge of your own consumption.
  • mwelchons said:

What's wrong with healthy discourse about this topic? Like the Pearl Jam shop, if you don't like it, don't read it or respond. You're in charge of your own consumption.
    You're posting in an open forum - expect people to comment that they're tired of rehashing a pretty dated topic.
    www.cluthelee.com

mwelchons said:

You're posting in an open forum - expect people to comment that they're tired of rehashing a pretty dated topic.
    Dated for whom? There aren't new participants to the forum? Each OP should read the entire catalog of preceding posts before making a statement or opinion of his own? I disagree.
  • ReleaseMe said:

stack of ugly posters... you meant Toronto 1 right?

ha, that is a weird one. I like it because it makes me think of Ron English's style.
  • ReleaseMeReleaseMe Posts: 745

ReleaseMe said:

stack of ugly posters... you meant Toronto 1 right?

ha, that is a weird one. I like it because it makes me think of Ron English's style.
    hey I bought it ... now it makes me want to get the St Louis one, just to complete the set...
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Toronto
    2005 - Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2009 - Toronto
    2011 - Hamilton
    2013 - Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Wrigley I, Wrigley II
    2018 - Seattle I, Seattle II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2020 - Toronto, Hamilton
    2022 - Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - St. Paul I, St. Paul II

I like their t-shirts, because it's always a surprise. Instead of being another Stickman-tshirt or like Iron Maidens and Metallicas that allways follow the same theme.

I dig it that they try to make well illustrated/designed t-shirts first that you want to wear almost besides being Pearl Jam shirts. I like that way of thinking. Hehe.
    I overstated it, lol, at some point my comedic side took over :lol:

Don't hold back Hank

Well you know me, I would be happy with other color choices even, I will design them for the band since they lack the imagination to come up with some different apparel options :wink: besides they should be focused on music anyway. not everyone wants a black or white or navy or forest green or gray shirts, that is just boring and does nothing to stand out. When I wear my PJ shit, I want people to know it's Pearl Jam, I am always proudly representing my fandom, I don't need discreet shit that only other fans would recognize, being a Pearl Jam isn't some secret society, if someone is looking at my apparel and trying to figure out what it is, that is a waste of my money. I gotta say it now, better loud than too late!
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

Don't hold back Hank

Well you know me, I would be happy with other color choices even, I will design them for the band since they lack the imagination to come up with some different apparel options :wink: besides they should be focused on music anyway. not everyone wants a black or white or navy or forest green or gray shirts, that is just boring and does nothing to stand out. When I wear my PJ shit, I want people to know it's Pearl Jam, I am always proudly representing my fandom, I don't need discreet shit that only other fans would recognize, being a Pearl Jam isn't some secret society, if someone is looking at my apparel and trying to figure out what it is, that is a waste of my money. I gotta say it now, better loud than too late!
    I was wondering how long it would take before you would repeat this suggestion. I know I have read this same response from you several times in many threads over the years. I guess it never hurts to dream.

I'm quite good with the shirt designs I have collected over the years. If I don't like, I don't buy.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1