Pearl Jam, Inc.--sold out?

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,687
    I have a 2 word response whenever this topic come up......

KISS coffins
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

do you have any stickers to trade?
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    It's capitalism baby ! They make almost all their $$$ from merchandising. Now where are my green Avacado 2006 tour socks ?
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

edited June 2016

KISS coffins

The Signed P.J. version of this will play "The End" every time it's opened. A true music box.
    Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    ryph raph said:

KISS coffins

The Signed P.J. version of this will play "The End" every time it's opened. A true music box.
    that is awesome :rock_on:
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,460
    I'm probably not the best to answer since I have loved this run of posters and have picked quite a few up and won't be at a show till August.

Organizations of any kind, whether they're companies, sports teams, or bands are like living breathing things. They change with the people within them change.

Not sure about you OP, but my goals in life and what I value most has changed a lot over the last 25 years, as I'm sure the band and the business of the band has.

This sort of stuff might have seemed like selling out 25 years ago, but maybe the whole concern and concept of selling out they've grown out of and want to do what's best for their brand, business, their families, and the families of the people they employ.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,391
    edited June 2016
    I recently read an article about how the Rolling Stones have become a business, not a band. In this day and age, I suspect anyone who wants to be profitable in this industry will follow a similar model. I don't always like everything that they sell, so I don't buy it. I am happy when they do sell something that I want, and I'll continue to support as long as it's reasonable.

Do what you gotta do though.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    Travelar said:

I recently read an article about how the Rolling Stones have become a business, not a band. In this day and age, I suspect anyone who wants to be profitable in this industry will follow a similar model. I don't always like everything that they sell, so I don't buy it. I am happy when they do sell something that I want, and I'll continue to support as long as it's reasonable.

Do what you gotta do though.

exactly. if this is what these guys need to do to stay together and keep making music and touring they hell go for it. in the end i just want to hear this bands music and see them live. whatever gets them to that point im all for it (but rarely buy merchandise).
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    ryph raph said:

KISS coffins

I'd rather mine play Alive

ryph raph said:

KISS coffins

I'd rather mine play Alive
    Mine also.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    Hi all,
    Interesting points. Enjoyed reading your collective perspectives. I certainly understand supply and demand and do not intend to offend anyone's taste or impart my preferences on others. It's just my personal opinion that the volume of products has gone up and the quality--which is intrinsically subjective and to each their own view--down. I'm also not sure Pearl Jam as a capitalistic, Ayn Randian machine is fully consistent with my understanding of the band's views and culture. In any event, I won't be buying next week's Pearl Jam Summer Solstice 2016 Shirt but have no opinion as to the decisions or preferences of other members. These views are my own.
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited June 2016
    rival. said:

pull up neil young, bruce, the who's websites... their merch section is dripping in cheese and sell out material. pearl jam will get there one day for sure, but as of right now they are still a few steps behind.

What is Neil Young selling that is so cheesy? The bag of seeds is cheesy…I'll grant you that. Mostly it's records, CDs, DVD/Blu-Ray, t-shirts, books, and posters.
    http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • PearlJamVSPearlJamVS Posts: 62
    Obviously, you have never heard of these corporate whores....

https://shopkissonline.com/
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight,
    I am fuel, you are friends, we got the means to make amends
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side
    I am right by your side.

Ottawa 2011
    London 2013
    Ottawa 2016
    Boston 1 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mwelchons said:

Does anyone else feel that Pearl Jam is over commercializing themselves? Sandals? stacks upon stacks of ugly posters? Special edition tee shirts on a semimonthly basis? Playing cards? I don't know. I'm sure I'm not the first person to posit this idea, but it just seems to be getting out of hand. During the Yield Tour the posters were limited, hand-pressed screen prints. Now they're largely shit--all stacked next to a box of stickers and baby onesie.

Fuck you...I love my sandals!!
  • evdjj3jevdjj3j Posts: 114
    The only thing that bothers me is that the band releases very limited quantities then the whole scene frowns upon people making money reselling. You wouldn't see these kinds of prices if merchandise was released in sufficient quantity. I was 3rd in line at the last show I went to and posters were sold out by the time I got to the booth, it was like 5 minutes. They know they are going to sell way more than that amount. I went to eBay and bought the poster for $225. I'm not bitching about having to pay that, I've just come to accept it as part of the game.
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    If you don't sell it, you will never know if people want it. There is lots of things that I will skip that a lot of other people want. Thats great for me, them, and the band. The most bitching comes about when 2 or 3 of these groups all want the same thing. Sounds like Business to me. I will leave all the business up to them.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula, Dana Point 1 & 2
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2016
    If it allows them to run monkeywrench free of outside corporate pressure... Allows them to give the fans tickets are much lower prices than other "Big Name" bands. Obviously appreciate their fans in many many ways... Give back to the Community in charitable functions.....etc.etc.. Then I'm all for it.

but seriously..... OBVIOUSLY THEY HAVEN'T CASHED IN.... and I highly doubt well see Ed singing for Direct TV anytime in future.... ala Bon Jovi
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    I always thought they took issue with other people trying to cash in on their art. I remember reading a Jeff quote maybe? He said one of the biggest misconceptions about the band is they hate money. It was a long while ago and I could be way off, but something like that sticks in my brain.
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    I think they should keep putting anything out that they think people will like. If I like it, I will buy it. If I don't, then I won't. If they put out PJ toenail clippers, and they look cool, I'll probably buy them. If they are crappy, or cheap, then I wont.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula, Dana Point 1 & 2
  • mwelchonsmwelchons Posts: 108
    BS44325 said:

mwelchons said:

Fuck you...I love my sandals!!
    Hahaha. Okay, okay, I'll lay off the sandals.
  • Bud ColderBud Colder Posts: 142
    Anyone ever get tread like a dick from ten club ?? I went to both philly shows and I got 7 shirts and a poster and tube it was starting to rain so I rolled poster up. At stand took merchandise and put in overnight bag. Get back to Baltimore and one of the shirts has a tear slice hole. Ten club gave me ino for the guy selling then at shows. He says there is signs ever where and no way he said to check out all merchandise before walking away. I said to guy I never seen signs ten club says there is nothing they can do. Any ideas ?????
    Yefa said:

rival. said:

pull up neil young, bruce, the who's websites... their merch section is dripping in cheese and sell out material. pearl jam will get there one day for sure, but as of right now they are still a few steps behind.

What is Neil Young selling that is so cheesy? The bag of seeds is cheesy…I'll grant you that. Mostly it's records, CDs, DVD/Blu-Ray, t-shirts, books, and posters.
    http://neilyoung.warnerbrosrecords.com
    They could sell jars of "Pearl Jam" .
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    I wish for more Blu-Rays ...hahaha
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    KP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raisedPosts: 436
    June 10 edited June 10 Flag
    Post edited by KP_McMinn on June 10
    Exponentially serving. Perpetually unnerving. Vehicle swerving.

Please don't edit to a period. Just edit down what you have to say or we'll have to say that you are ON your period. Someone else around here trolls and flames, then goes back and edits to a period and acts like the innocent one. I just don't want to see you get confused with the original period sufferer.

Thread integrity:
    I pass on most of what is sold, too. Some things aren't a great fit for me. Some things, well, I have bills to pay and that's where the money goes. I agree with the person who said that you are in command of your own wallet. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. If PJ was money grubbing and didn't go forth to share their wealth, then maybe I would feel differently. Do they sell more merch? Yes. Do they support more organizations? Yes. That is alright by me.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    I just think some fans will buy anything the band put out so they may as well keep coming up with new things if people are buying them.
    posters are the only thing i buy and thats because i was at the shows.
    Cant remember the last time I saw a tshirt i thought was even mildly good.

And stickers!?! Cant believe grown adults are buying.trading stickers.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141
    I could care less what Pearl Jam sells. The consumers set the market, not the sellers.

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable. If selling dog collars & socks & bathing suits helps to keep ticket prices where they are, sell away.

edited June 2016

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    That works out about £82 per ticket.
    I've compared with some other acts at stadiums and they are about £65.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    Post edited by Force Of Nature on
    edited June 2016
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,141

Considering what other acts charge for concert tickets, 10c tickets are very reasonable.

Is this still true? As fans Im sure we like to hang onto the ticketmaster thing of the 90's, but I've checked the last couple tickets I've bought from 10C and it was $172/pair.
    I know we all love this band and Im fortunate enough to not worry about the cost of concert tickets (id pay anything to see them play) but are they really 'very reasonable' compared to other acts? I dont really notice it in Europe/UK.
    Tool charges around $100 / ticket. They play a 1 hour & 45 minute set almost as a rule.

Coldplay was charging $180 PER SEAT in the lower bowl at Gillette stadium on the opposite side of the arena from the stage. (This was the fanclub presale..... Still a TM sale)

I know this isn't a sweeping study here, but when I look at how long PJ plays each night, as compared to how much I paid, I think it's a tremendous value.
    edited June 2016

Tool charges around $100 / ticket. They play a 1 hour & 45 minute set almost as a rule.

Coldplay was charging $180 PER SEAT in the lower bowl at Gillette stadium on the opposite side of the arena from the stage. (This was the fanclub presale..... Still a TM sale)

I know this isn't a sweeping study here, but when I look at how long PJ plays each night, as compared to how much I paid, I think it's a tremendous value.
    In terms of set length, yeah no doubt its a good 3hrs. And my examples were just a couple i quickly looked at as well.
    Its interesting you mentioned coldplay, they were the example i checked in the UK who were actually £65 compared to Pearl Jams £82.
    I just dont really see Pearl Jam tickets as any more reasonable than other acts these days, not that Im complaining, just what I see in my experience.