Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    Am I the only 1 that finds CCT annoying?
    I love that track.
    Let Danny just drum and I like it.  Not seeing a Love for it though...
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I love that track.
    Don't mind it on the CD, but live I'd rather them play another song than an instrumental track. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    I love that track.
    Don't mind it on the CD, but live I'd rather them play another song than an instrumental track. 
    It reminds me of something Trent Reznor would do in the early 90's.
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    I love that track.
    It's as if Aphex Twin tapped Danny Carey to do real drums instead of a machine - I think it's pretty sick. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    mschostok said:
    I love that track.
    It's as if Aphex Twin tapped Danny Carey to do real drums instead of a machine - I think it's pretty sick. 
    Yes just get rid of the Aphex Twin parts...  Let Danny Drum...
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,853
    edited October 2019
    So second show of the tour tonight i Salt Lake City. Are we in for any surprises or is it going to he copy and paste from Denver? On a side not what a terrible name for an arena. Vivint Smart Home Arena....
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    3rd show of tour. Denver was 2 nights.
    Yes, I hope they start pulling more from FI and back catalog. Just play Hooker with a Penis, H or Eulogy and I'll be happy.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,853
    Right not sure how I missed two in Denver glossing over the setlist page. Pretty standard sets so far.... 
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 365
    If they play +/- 15 songs a show, you have to think that they only have something like a 20 song rotation for this tour considering the synchronization of their visuals and their songs. It really cements the fact that PJ is the only band that I'll see back to back when multiple shows are in the same venue. The Foo Fighters fall in the same category. Awesome live show but not worth a back to back. 
  • Options
    CPR7 said:
    If they play +/- 15 songs a show, you have to think that they only have something like a 20 song rotation for this tour considering the synchronization of their visuals and their songs. It really cements the fact that PJ is the only band that I'll see back to back when multiple shows are in the same venue. The Foo Fighters fall in the same category. Awesome live show but not worth a back to back. 
    Add Metallica to that list  too.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    DMB. Multiple nights, same venue definitely worth it. Different every time. And awesome every time. 

The setlists so far are ehhh. Should be illegal to play multiple nights at the same venue and not change sets. 15-20 song rotation could have five different songs the next night and change the order. The lights can change. Sure the setup is loaded for all songs in rotation. I don’t know. PJ just spoils us when they tour. You never know what’s coming. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,129
    I was hoping they'd reboot the live show with a new record finally out. From what I'm reading, pretty much the usual deal with some new songs?
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    pjl44 said:
    I was hoping they'd reboot the live show with a new record finally out. From what I'm reading, pretty much the usual deal with some new songs?
    If they follow past touring cycles after releasing new albums, they will have another tour next year where they work more new songs into the set. I remember not hearing Right In Two until the second tour after 10,000 Days came out.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    DMB. Multiple nights, same venue definitely worth it. Different every time. And awesome every time. 

The setlists so far are ehhh. Should be illegal to play multiple nights at the same venue and not change sets. 15-20 song rotation could have five different songs the next night and change the order. The lights can change. Sure the setup is loaded for all songs in rotation. I don’t know. PJ just spoils us when they tour. You never know what’s coming. 
    Tool doesn’t use totally preprogrammed lighting and video. 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Text me when they re-issue the catalog on vinyl 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    CPR7 said:
    Radiohead did b2b nights in Boston July of ‘18, and played 25 songs each night w/ only 5 repeats. 

(Apropos of nothing, that 2 night stint will go down as a top ten concert moment for me, it was amazing)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,129
    pjl44 said:
    If they follow past touring cycles after releasing new albums, they will have another tour next year where they work more new songs into the set. I remember not hearing Right In Two until the second tour after 10,000 Days came out.
    The new songs would be great, but I was hoping for a new stage show too. $200+ for a couple new songs with some new visuals is looking pretty whatever right now. 
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 365
    CPR7 said:
    Radiohead did b2b nights in Boston July of ‘18, and played 25 songs each night w/ only 5 repeats. 

(Apropos of nothing, that 2 night stint will go down as a top ten concert moment for me, it was amazing)
    Fair enough. I wasn't by any means saying that only PJ mixes their setlists up. Just implying that a lot of major acts copy and paste their setlists. If the formula works roll with it. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990

Yeah I get why some bands play the same setlist each night but when you play the same venue it's really lame to repeat everything.

Honestly that is what turned me off from the Foo Fighters.  A year or so ago I saw them at the beginning of their tour and near the end and they played basically the same set list....even had the same jokes and stage banter inserted for the middle of the show where they each get introduced and do their own selected cover song.  That was really disappointing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

Yeah I get why some bands play the same setlist each night but when you play the same venue it's really lame to repeat everything.

Honestly that is what turned me off from the Foo Fighters.  A year or so ago I saw them at the beginning of their tour and near the end and they played basically the same set list....even had the same jokes and stage banter inserted for the middle of the show where they each get introduced and do their own selected cover song.  That was really disappointing.
    Welcome to the land of Iron Maiden...
  • Options
    "Calling all to arms and order"

The way this line is sung is my favorite on the whole album and he does it 3 different ways on the song Descending.

This song is becoming my rabbit hole for exploration.

Still can't enjoy Pnuema though...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990

I saw them for the first time this year.  Good show but having Eddie come out and fight is kinda lame.  I'm too old for that shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I saw them for the first time this year.  Good show but having Eddie come out and fight is kinda lame.  I'm too old for that shit.
    :lol:
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• Options
    DewieCox said:

That makes it even worse then. I would understand if the show was preprogrammed. Switch up the sets for gods sake. 
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Not impressed with the setlists but damn those foil posters from Staples Center are fucking awesome!! I like the creepiness of night one more than night 2.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    Not impressed with the setlists but damn those foil posters from Staples Center are fucking awesome!! I like the creepiness of night one more than night 2.
    I'm hoping to score a signed one this time around at the show.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    DewieCox said:

That makes it even worse then. I would understand if the show was preprogrammed. Switch up the sets for gods sake. 

I recall Rush used to warm up individually for 4 weeks then they together would rehearse for nearly another month before starting a tour.

I think Tool's music is closer to Rush than PJ. There's no way some bands can just whip out an old song on the fly or switch one in without rehearsing it many many times. It's just not realistic. Those Tool polyrhythms are intense. I can hear them struggle to get Pnuema right. But I agree they could have prepared a couple extra songs to swipe out. Hopefully next leg.

My complaint wouldn't be the Tool setlist is the same each night this tour except the 1 song. Its that the current set is too similar to their last tour in 2017.
  • Options
    I am just saying at least change the order of the songs. And if your going to be able to play two shows at the same venue then mix it up more than one song a night. 

That being said, my good friend went to see them last night in LA and said it was a great show. So that’s always good to hear. 
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

I recall Rush used to warm up individually for 4 weeks then they together would rehearse for nearly another month before starting a tour.

I think Tool's music is closer to Rush than PJ. There's no way some bands can just whip out an old song on the fly or switch one in without rehearsing it many many times. It's just not realistic. Those Tool polyrhythms are intense. I can hear them struggle to get Pnuema right. But I agree they could have prepared a couple extra songs to swipe out. Hopefully next leg.

My complaint wouldn't be the Tool setlist is the same each night this tour except the 1 song. Its that the current set is too similar to their last tour in 2017.
    Ament was interviewed about the setlist(or was it McCready?) changing nightly and they said that sometimes you have to practice a few minutes to remember the song considering that we have a 250 song catalog.

They are professionals, they can change it up if they want to.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    DewieCox said:

Ament was interviewed about the setlist(or was it McCready?) changing nightly and they said that sometimes you have to practice a few minutes to remember the song considering that we have a 250 song catalog.

They are professionals, they can change it up if they want to.
    I agree. I’m not looking for a completely different set but There should be at least 4-6 rotation spots. And even worse imo, is that spot. Part of me is just not a good song. There are so many great songs off Undertow that they could rotate in that spot.