Options

Animals in Captivity

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Jason P said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Speaking of lawsuits, there is a 99.99% chance this family sues the zoo anyway, right?

The cynical side of me thinks so, but then again they said the boy is OK and they surely bear some responsibility in this. Really hope this isn't yet another waste of court time.
    They will and they will win. Plus, just think of how their lawyer will present the case ... all the emotional damage. The boy is scared for life. The parents getting death threat and having to quite their jobs and go into hiding as result of the zoo's negligence. The ambulance chasers will be lined up at their door and the zoo will probably settle before the case reaches a jury.
    the parents will likely not sue ... they will likely be happy that they don't get charged with child endangerment and/or not get sued by the zoo for the costs associated with having to kill the gorilla ...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    polaris_x said:

Jason P said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Speaking of lawsuits, there is a 99.99% chance this family sues the zoo anyway, right?

The cynical side of me thinks so, but then again they said the boy is OK and they surely bear some responsibility in this. Really hope this isn't yet another waste of court time.
    They will and they will win. Plus, just think of how their lawyer will present the case ... all the emotional damage. The boy is scared for life. The parents getting death threat and having to quite their jobs and go into hiding as result of the zoo's negligence. The ambulance chasers will be lined up at their door and the zoo will probably settle before the case reaches a jury.
    the parents will likely not sue ... they will likely be happy that they don't get charged with child endangerment and/or not get sued by the zoo for the costs associated with having to kill the gorilla ...
    I agree. they are already pariahs in the media.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

devil's advocate: EVERY species, if they were put in a position to choose their own or another, would choose their own EVERY SINGLE TIME. a gorilla wouldn't give a second thought to snapping the last human female in half if one of their babies was in danger.

You're right ... The big difference is that kids mama was probably too hysterical to do anything, but reverse that role with the ape or most other animals and they immediately would jump into action and rescue their young.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Question: same situation but the gorilla is the last known female in the world. Do you still take the shot?

My answer would be no. I'm sure the kid's parents would disagree, but yeah, I do place the very existence of gorillas to outweigh the life of one child. Sorry kid.
    absurd.
    Why is pjsoul opinion absurd ... We are only at the top of the food chain because we invented weapons ... And we annoited our selves decider of everything, destroyer of everything ... Yeah humans should be proud.
    youre right... should have just let the gorilla have its way with the kid. then we could create threads about how horrible America is for letting that happen. And America could then get another valuable lesson from canada, this time on zoo safety.

the Libs around here make me laugh... and i'm fucking liberal as they come, so i thought. some around here are radicals.
    Not a liberal or anything ... I do appreciate animals for the value that they add to our existence...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    polaris_x said:

Jason P said:

hedonist said:

Jason P said:

Haha ... This is the states, wouldn't surprise me if both parties sued each other

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    edited June 2016
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Question: same situation but the gorilla is the last known female in the world. Do you still take the shot?

My answer would be no. I'm sure the kid's parents would disagree, but yeah, I do place the very existence of gorillas to outweigh the life of one child. Sorry kid.
    absurd.
    Why is pjsoul opinion absurd ... We are only at the top of the food chain because we invented weapons ... And we annoited our selves decider of everything, destroyer of everything ... Yeah humans should be proud.
    restneversleeps just likes to troll me now. It's a new thing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

That is complete insanity to me.
    That you think so is complete insanity to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    PJ_Soul said:

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

absurd.
    restneversleeps just like to troll me now. It's a new thing.
    no. i think its absurd you would save an animal before a human. period. now ride off on your rainbow shitting unicorn....
  • Options
    edited June 2016

devil's advocate: EVERY species, if they were put in a position to choose their own or another, would choose their own EVERY SINGLE TIME. a gorilla wouldn't give a second thought to snapping the last human female in half if one of their babies was in danger.

Sure, on a personal level this is 100% true. All animals, including humans, protect their own children. But not on a species level.
    Anyway, I am VERY comfortable saying that a human life is worth saving an entire species (and many people do indeed put their OWN lives at risk to do exactly that. This is not a crazy new concept I'm talking about here). I think to say that a human life is more important than a whole species of animal is VERY selfish and humanly arrogant.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Objectively I would put the survival of gorillas as a species before the life of any single (Darwinian award winning?) human child, but subjectively I would personally hunt and cut the throats of every single great ape or cuddly little chinchilla if that's what it took to save my own son.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Objectively I would put the survival of gorillas as a species before the life of any single (Darwinian award winning?) human child, but subjectively I would personally hunt and cut the throats of every single great ape or cuddly little chinchilla if that's what it took to save my own son.

I love listening to granola liberals. (not you personally of course), but if one was to say that I imagine that is what they would sound like :smiley:
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

You're right ... The big difference is that kids mama was probably too hysterical to do anything, but reverse that role with the ape or most other animals and they immediately would jump into action and rescue their young.
    This is a mouthful.

It's true. Outside of crocodiles, are there other animals outside of humans that will kill their own offspring?

(Mom never sounded too hysterical... I'm not sure what the most accurate descriptor would be?)
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited June 2016

lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

absurd.
    youre right... should have just let the gorilla have its way with the kid. then we could create threads about how horrible America is for letting that happen. And America could then get another valuable lesson from canada, this time on zoo safety.

the Libs around here make me laugh... and i'm fucking liberal as they come, so i thought. some around here are radicals.
    Whoa there. If you weren't so anxious to troll me, you would know that I already said I think that shooting the gorilla in this case WAS necessary (even though it never should have been required, if only the enclosure was secured against 4 year olds). I was only responding to the hypothetical presented above. If it had been the last female gorilla on Earth. I'm sure you can see the difference here?
    I am not a radical.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

What? Don't you mean sorry apes? We are on top of the evolutionary ladder for a reason. I'm not sure I can think of 1 good reason that a child should die in order to keep a species alive. Extinction is part of natural selection.
    Why would I say sorry apes if I think a kid's life is worth saving an entire species?
    Extinction caused solely by overhunting and poaching is a part of natural selection? I don't know about that. We're not talking about a species that is sliding into extinction because they aren't compatible with their natural environment. They are going extinct for gorilla hand ashtrays and so that some asshole with erectile dysfunction can try and get a hard on. There is nothing "natural" about that.
    Human are destroying ecological balance because of their greed. Simple as that. Yes, loss of human life is worth saving a species decimated by human greed IMO.
    What if it was your child?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I heard on GMA this morning that the family was not interested in money from the media to talk. Certainly doesn't mean that they're not talking to an attorney.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

What? Don't you mean sorry apes? We are on top of the evolutionary ladder for a reason. I'm not sure I can think of 1 good reason that a child should die in order to keep a species alive. Extinction is part of natural selection.
    Why would I say sorry apes if I think a kid's life is worth saving an entire species?
    Extinction caused solely by overhunting and poaching is a part of natural selection? I don't know about that. We're not talking about a species that is sliding into extinction because they aren't compatible with their natural environment. They are going extinct for gorilla hand ashtrays and so that some asshole with erectile dysfunction can try and get a hard on. There is nothing "natural" about that.
    Human are destroying ecological balance because of their greed. Simple as that. Yes, loss of human life is worth saving a species decimated by human greed IMO.
    What if it was your child?
    I already answered this a post or two ago.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

lukin2006 said:

This is a mouthful.

It's true. Outside of crocodiles, are there other animals outside of humans that will kill their own offspring?

(Mom never sounded too hysterical... I'm not sure what the most accurate descriptor would be?)
    That are tons of animals that kill their own young actually. I personally once saw a cat eat the head off of her own kitten. Other species will happily fight to the death with their own offspring once they are adults and a threat to their position in a heard or pride or whatever. Others will simply reject their young for various reasons and abandon them soon after birth. This is fairly common among animals. So yeah, animals usually protect their own kids to the death, and humans are particularly protective of their own offspring (NOT of other people's offspring).
  • Options
    How would losing that particular species of gorilla effect the ecosystem? Chances are, if that was the last female, it would be in captivity anyway. Objectively, you take that shot 100 out of 100 times.
  • Options

How would losing that particular species of gorilla effect the ecosystem? Chances are, if that was the last female, it would be in captivity anyway. Objectively, you take that shot 100 out of 100 times.

This is a good point.
    One left in the world?
    Procreation would be out I guess.
  • Options

Never mind. If you refuse to acknowledge the intrinsic and ecological value of an animal species, there is no point in discussing it any further.
  • Options

rgambs said:

I love listening to granola liberals. (not you personally of course), but if one was to say that I imagine that is what they would sound like :smiley:
    these granolas are radicals in every sense of the word....
  • Options

lukin2006 said:

This is a mouthful.

Maybe in this case hysterical was a bit strong but I've seen enough of people and know how many react.

• Options

rgambs said:

I guess when you ignore what a person is actually saying and invent meanings instead, you would think that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Never mind. If you refuse to acknowledge the intrinsic and ecological value of an animal species, there is no point in discussing it any further.
    Absolutely not true. If the animal is in captivity anyway, how is the value of the ecosystem diminished? That's not a question that should be asked?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Absolutely not true. If the animal is in captivity anyway, how is the value of the ecosystem diminished? That's not a question that should be asked?
    The death of the one animal wouldn't have a sudden impact. The lack of that species in nature would be.
    And it's hypothetical remember. We all know that viable gene pools etc etc need to be taken into account, but that's not important in this discussion. The philosophy of it is the issue.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

I guess when you ignore what a person is actually saying and invent meanings instead, you would think that.
    i guess
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

The death of the one animal wouldn't have a sudden impact. The lack of that species in nature would be.
    And it's hypothetical remember. We all know that viable gene pools etc etc need to be taken into account, but that's not important in this discussion. The philosophy of it is the issue.
    Yes it's hypothetical and yes I'm being objective. Does every species hold equal value to an ecosystem?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes it's hypothetical and yes I'm being objective. Does every species hold equal value to an ecosystem?
    No. Humans are a destructive parasite, so I would argue that humans have much less value, if any at all.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

No. Humans are a destructive parasite, so I would argue that humans have much less value, if any at all.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I'd say the higher up the food chain you go, the less value a species holds.

I didn't see answer to the question of what if it was your child? Could you hold such objectivity? Obviously not, but could you accept the death of your child to save that species?