Options

Animals in Captivity

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would say this is mostly the parents fault for sure ... sure, great parents every day get away with lapses and some don't ... just shows how difficult it is to be 100% secure if you decide to venture out into this world ... but ultimately, if you're gonna take your kid(s) to a zoo - you have to be extra vigilante and it's clear they weren't at that moment ...

as for the zoo, which I don't really believe in or go to, their primary focus is to raise money whether for profit or for funding their programs ... people won't go to zoos if they don't get to see the animals and viewing is a priority ... i do think they could have built a solid barrier that still sits below the bush there ... and this could have been avoided ...
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rgambs said:

^^^ Speaking of, I just walked into a grocery store and there was a small tree in front of it with some lovely pinkish berries that looked exquisitely delicious, so I pinched one and gave it a taste. A little too tart it was, and now the tip of my tongue is numb...
    Now why in the hell would you plant such a tasty looking fruit in front of the store when eating it is clearly not a good idea?
    Hello, has no one ever heard of mullberry tree?

What a ridiculous amount of waste and idiocy in this country.

haha ... i can't remember the name of that berry ... they do look enticing but definitely not for consumption ...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,111

All those staying kids can get away in the blink of an eye....I don't agree fully. And the real parenting happens from day 1 so when a 4 year old sees a fence they aren't even thinking about getting through or going over. But then again, most parents are becoming more and more complacent. Instead of parenting they are videoing their kids doing bad/stupid/dangerous stuff. All the whole the kid is creating bad habits.

Really? I will assume you have children. You've never turned your head and when you look back, your child wasn't where he or she was just a second ago?
    Yes I have a child. And when there was any danger around, no this did not happen. And if it did, I would blame myself for not paying attention, not others for not doing my job when I wasn't.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    rgambs said:

Thanks.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't hard for the kid to get in, that's a quick hop and a short scramble through the bushes.
    Speaking of the hedge, that should be a wild black raspberry hedge. It's thornier than a rose bush, native to the region, incredibly hardy and abundant in the area (free to dig up and transplant), and the kids would have berries to snack on in June.
    It's a no brainer.

I often wonder why public spaces are filled with non-native (often expensive) ornamentals when edible options would serve the same purpose. Put some freaking blueberries, gooseberries, elderberries, and raspberries in for cripes sake!
    Kid eats berries then has allergic reaction and has to be rushed to the hospital. Parents wonder "why" berries were there in the first place when a child could so easily access them. They sue for $1,000,000.

Or

Child falls in thorny berry bush and gets cut up something fierce. Parents are appalled and sue for $1,000,000.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,111

rgambs said:

Thanks.

Yeah, it definitely wasn't hard for the kid to get in, that's a quick hop and a short scramble through the bushes.
    Speaking of the hedge, that should be a wild black raspberry hedge. It's thornier than a rose bush, native to the region, incredibly hardy and abundant in the area (free to dig up and transplant), and the kids would have berries to snack on in June.
    It's a no brainer.

I often wonder why public spaces are filled with non-native (often expensive) ornamentals when edible options would serve the same purpose. Put some freaking blueberries, gooseberries, elderberries, and raspberries in for cripes sake!
    Kid eats berries then has allergic reaction and has to be rushed to the hospital. Parents wonder "why" berries were there in the first place when a child could so easily access them. They sue for $1,000,000.

Or

Child falls in thorny berry bush and gets cut up something fierce. Parents are appalled and sue for $1,000,000.
    Yup. Stupid court system has shifted responsibility to whoever has the most $
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

All those staying kids can get away in the blink of an eye....I don't agree fully. And the real parenting happens from day 1 so when a 4 year old sees a fence they aren't even thinking about getting through or going over. But then again, most parents are becoming more and more complacent. Instead of parenting they are videoing their kids doing bad/stupid/dangerous stuff. All the whole the kid is creating bad habits.

Really? I will assume you have children. You've never turned your head and when you look back, your child wasn't where he or she was just a second ago?
    Yes I have a child. And when there was any danger around, no this did not happen. And if it did, I would blame myself for not paying attention, not others for not doing my job when I wasn't.
    I don't think the mother is blaming anyone else. I do not disagree with what you're saying, just that things like that happens. 99 times out of 100 nothing goes wrong.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

I don't think the mother is blaming anyone else. I do not disagree with what you're saying, just that things like that happens. 99 times out of 100 nothing goes wrong.
    this. it's the faceless internet that is blaming the mother/zoo/onlookers. haven't heard anything from the parents. they'd be smart to remain silent on this. just let it fade away until the next "outrage" happens.

20 years ago this would have been a blip on page 27 of the daily news. fucking social media makes a firestorm out of everything.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Shoot the gorilla, save the kid. End of story. I'm not a parent or architect so I won't be commenting on mom or zoo.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    what if the boy was wearing a fashionable fresh bologna vest made up at the butcher shop earlier that morning & instead of falling into a gorilla pit, the squirrely youth actually stumbled head first into a fresh water pool filled to the brim with piranha & crazy evil clowns?

life aint easy
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm amazed he fell 15 feet into ankle high water and survived
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Thankfully Rush can see through all the BS and is asking the question that really matters.

“Don’t doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas, and they’re looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes... If we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn’t become one of us?”

Don't doubt him on this folks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rush-limbaugh-gorillas-evolution_us_574e5de6e4b0757eaeb10be0
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited June 2016
    dignin said:

Thankfully Rush can see through all the BS and is asking the question that really matters.

“Don’t doubt me on this. A lot of people think that all of us used to be gorillas, and they’re looking for the missing link out there. The evolution crowd. They think we were originally apes... If we were the original apes, then how come Harambe is still an ape, and how come he didn’t become one of us?”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rush-limbaugh-gorillas-evolution_us_574e5de6e4b0757eaeb10be0

Holy fuck. :loser::lol: Limbaugh is just an awful moron. I can't believe he has actual fans. None of them could possibly have an IQ over 85.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Holy fuck. :loser::lol: Limbaugh is just an awful moron. I can't believe he has actual fans. None of them could possibly have an IQ over 85.
    You want to feel like your living in Idiocracy times? Check this out.

June Gallup poll: It found 42 percent of Americans believe God created humans “in their present form 10,000 years ago,” disputing scientific consensus that humanity slowly evolved from primates over millions of years.

That moron is definitely not alone. And we wonder how so many Americans can be supporting Trump. Whelp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/29/pope-francis-may-believe-in-evolution-but-42-percent-of-americans-do-not/
  • Options
    baffling.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,166
    how many hundreds of thousands of kids did NOT go into the enclosure and lead directly to the death of an ape?

either the parents, or the enclosure have been successful 99.9999999% of the time.

this is such a sad story.

i am not a parent so it is easy for me to say "should have been watching your shitty kid", but i work in a children's hospital and i see every single day how easy it is for a parent to lose sight of their kid. i think any parent that says that they have never lost sight of their kid for a single split second is lying.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    Question: same situation but the gorilla is the last known female in the world. Do you still take the shot?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

how many hundreds of thousands of kids did NOT go into the enclosure and lead directly to the death of an ape?

either the parents, or the enclosure have been successful 99.9999999% of the time.

this is such a sad story.

i am not a parent so it is easy for me to say "should have been watching your shitty kid", but i work in a children's hospital and i see every single day how easy it is for a parent to lose sight of their kid. i think any parent that says that they have never lost sight of their kid for a single split second is lying.

This is true; however, the responsibility for the supervision of the child still rests with the parent.

We have all lost attention to the road while driving as well. Fortunately, at least for me, nothing bad happened as I did. But if something bad did happen as a result of me not paying as much attention as I should have been paying in that moment... I don't think 'we all have lapses in concentration while we drive' would serve as a valid defence.

As evidenced... the zoo design was flawed, but the flaw was exposed by a toddler that eluded his mother's supervision. It might have been lightning fast... it might have been absolute neglect... but ultimately, it doesn't matter- we have what we have. I'm glad the kids is unharmed and it's unfortunate for the gorilla.

People should stop going to zoos and aquariums. In my opinion, the gorilla never should have been there in the first place.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Question: same situation but the gorilla is the last known female in the world. Do you still take the shot?

A good question. My answer is 'yes'.
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    "It was amazing because there were moments with the gorilla, the way he held that child, it was almost like a mother holding a baby. Looked so beautiful and calm and there were moments where it looked pretty dangerous," Trump went on to say. "I don't think they had a choice. I mean, probably they didn't have a choice. You have a child, a young child who is at stake, and, you know, it's too bad there wasn't another way. I thought it was so beautiful to watch that, you know, powerful, almost 500-pound gorilla, the way he dealt with that little boy, but it just takes one second. It's one second. It's not like it takes place over, well, he's going to do it in 30 seconds from now. It just takes one little flick of his finger, and I will tell you they probably had no choice."
  • Options
    Rescue Mission Launched As Thousands Stranded On Higher Moral Ground

A WORLDWIDE rescue mission has been launched today after thousands of internet commentators were left stranded on higher moral ground in dangerously ignorant conditions, following an incident in a Cincinnati zoo where a gorilla was shot in a bid to protect a young boy.

Internet rescue service personnel have been inundated with emergency calls from people trapped in comment sections, many of whom are incredibly passionate about news stories they can jump to conclusions on without reading the facts.

“It’s very hard to gain access to the higher moral ground. It’s tough for rescuers to get past the raging statements made without even a cursory look at the information, and conditions overhead aren’t great as we’ve to weather a torrent of mindless abuse,” explained lead rescuer Don Franklin.

In fact, several panicked victims resorted to lambasting the parents of the child in question in a bid to survive the gushing stream of opinions engulfing social media.

“Could I wait until the information is gathered before forming an opinion? Of course, but where’s the fun in that, plus they’re African American and the father also has a criminal record: I read in the Mail Online,” said one man who has been trapped on the moral high ground since Saturday. “What kind of neglectful parent brings their kids to the zoo like that anyway? Surely there’s a law against people who have spent time in cages, visiting animals in cages?”

Many experts in the field of ape psychology have since come forward to point out how the child was obviously safer being dragged underwater by 800 pound gorilla, who has spent most of its incarcerated life in cramped conditions while being stared at by noisy humans with flashing camera phones.

“Split second decisions which are made in high pressure situations all in the name of protecting a child are my bread and butter, so trust me when I say I knew exactly what they should have done in that moment. I’m actually livid the Zoo didn’t contact me,” shared Alan Boland from Waterford, a father of none and avid nature program fan.

“That poor animal should have been talked down using bananas and sign language. All gorillas know sign language and they should have coaxed him away from the child with bananas. Simple” he concluded.

If you have been affected by a gorilla tragedy, please leave your comment below. If you have not been affected by a gorilla tragedy, do not let that stop you.

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/06/01/rescue-mission-launched-as-thousands-stranded-on-higher-moral-ground/
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    CH156378 said:

"It was amazing because there were moments with the gorilla, the way he held that child, it was almost like a mother holding a baby. Looked so beautiful and calm and there were moments where it looked pretty dangerous," Trump went on to say. "I don't think they had a choice. I mean, probably they didn't have a choice. You have a child, a young child who is at stake, and, you know, it's too bad there wasn't another way. I thought it was so beautiful to watch that, you know, powerful, almost 500-pound gorilla, the way he dealt with that little boy, but it just takes one second. It's one second. It's not like it takes place over, well, he's going to do it in 30 seconds from now. It just takes one little flick of his finger, and I will tell you they probably had no choice."

I'm not sure why you put this in here, but if you're saying he said something wrong, I'm not sure what it is.

If you're saying he said something right, I don't see what the big deal is.....what he said seems pretty regular and is likely a commonly-held opinion.....unless I'm not seeing something or have missed something. >?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Do you personally know the answer to that offhand though?

Do you right now know why there are still apes if they were supposed to have evolved into humans?

Not to be argumentative, I mean I was lucky enough to watch a show specifically about this and how evolution happened for some apes but not others, but to tell you the truth, had I not seen this TV show, I honestly don't know if I can answer the question as to why there are still apes, so I'm curious what knowing this has to do with IQ.

Again, just curious if you have a quick answer, I'd appreciate it, Thanks!

Edit, P>S. If you have to now research it on the internet, does it mean you have an IQ of 85, but are suddenly not a fucking moron immediately after you know the answer? Just curious about that too, thanks :)

Post edited by rollings on
  • Options
    chadwick said:

what if the boy was wearing a fashionable fresh bologna vest made up at the butcher shop earlier that morning.....

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rollings said:

Edit, P>S. If you have to now research it on the internet, does it mean you have an IQ of 85, but are suddenly not a fucking moron immediately after you know the answer? Just curious about that too, thanks :)

Love how your mind works, rollings.

One of these days, I hope to have a good long visit with you and the chadwick.

• Options
    hedonist said:

rollings said:

Love how your mind works, rollings.

One of these days, I hope to have a good long visit with you and the chadwick.

He can join Team Slap for all our follies! He'd fit in for sure.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rollings is a lovely chica, Thirty :)

(and she'd hang with - possibly rule - the slappers!)
  • Options
    Glad to see that the rescue mission worked and we have a few of you safely back in this thread!

;)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

rollings is a lovely chica, Thirty :)

(and she'd hang with - possibly rule - the slappers!)

Sooo...

We're essentially shaping up like the Scooby Doo/ Mystery Machine outfit?

If people start taking us not very serious... we'll have to reevaluate.
  • Options
    rollings said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Do you personally know the answer to that offhand though?

Do you right now know why there are still apes if they were supposed to have evolved into humans?

Not to be argumentative, I mean I was lucky enough to watch a show specifically about this and how evolution happened for some apes but not others, but to tell you the truth, had I not seen this TV show, I honestly don't know if I can answer the question as to why there are still apes, so I'm curious what knowing this has to do with IQ.

Again, just curious if you have a quick answer, I'd appreciate it, Thanks!

honestly, I can't personally give a detailed description of the hows or whys. I know that I knew and that it made sense at one point, but can I explain it at the moment? no. but we all know that pretty much any adult who has to ask this question is woefully ignorant.

it's like, do I know the science behind gravity? I did once, in science class. I understood its fundamentals, and I know it was the prevailing theory. but not being able to scientifically explain its properties is not the same as believing it's God hands holding me in place.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2016
    Not all animals evolve the same was and rate.

A polar bear has adapted and evolved to its environment differently than a black bear.

Some apes didn't need tree climbing skills as much as they needed to walk and evolved accordingly.