Options

No Code/Yield vinyl reissues In Shop!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,604
    svenhoek said:

choop said:

"I do not buy into this sound quality thing"

just an FYI, I mean this is pretty much proven to be fact that the fewer grooves, the better it will sound. science and shit.

Correct, but fewer grooves does very little for you if they did a crappy job mastering in the first place.
    Definitely. What I really meant by my comment was that just because an LP is put onto 2 disc, it doesn't in any way, shape, or form guarantee that it will sound better than the original. I think that MOST reissues that are spread between 2 discs (not to mention a lot of new albums that are as well) are only 2 discs because they can jack the prices on the album, since the sound quality isn't superior at all. People will feel ripped off if a 1LP, regular length album (obviously long albums are an exception) costs $45. But many people will happily fork over $45 for a 2LP album. I think that, for the most part, this is just a marketing ploy. Can't tell you how many times I've bought a 2LP reissue and been horribly disappointed, to the point where I traded it in and tracked down an OG.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    this is priceless. from years of bitch about re-issues, they get re-issued. now there's a bitch about weight, pressing and such. play it loud, it all sounds great.
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

this is priceless. from years of bitch about re-issues, they get re-issued. now there's a bitch about weight, pressing and such. play it loud, it all sounds great.

Beautifully said.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    Amazing that these have been released, but I was looking forward to bit of Jack Irons in the Boxset... Does this mean there will be no 95-98 show with Jack on the kit?
    Hopefully there is a Vault with Jack there soon...
    Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Have a flawless copy of Yield but im definitely in for No Code

Thank you for doing this!
  • Options

If you really want to hear bitching wait until some people receive their copies after the public release date.
    And if you really want to hear over-the-top bitching wait until someone hears even the slightest "pop noise" while playing it.

Both of these bitching threads will happen, mark my words.
  • Options
    stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Montreal, Quebec, Canada Posts: 191
    I assume that these will get a regular commercial (record store, amazon...) release? Any word on that?
    You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    There hasn't been. But it's a safe assumption
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    Nami said:

best day of my life... haha well ok one of them

I agree...at least as far as records go.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,301
    I pulled the trigger on this one without thinking, now I'm starting to question my sanity.
    I already have all of these from back in the day (except Hail Hail of course) so I don't need them. I just couldn't help myself.
    I would have preferred the box sets to continue - a live disc, a few rarities and the other stuff was cool - and a full set would have looked great together. It seems a strange decision to give up on them after 2, especially when this stuff doesn't include any rarities.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,480
    PJ_Soul said:

AndySlash said:

@Santos L. Halper are these going to be cut from the original analog tapes and where will the records be pressed? Also, what does "mastered specifically for vinyl" entail? Your pal bUCK

this is a question that should be answered. i suspect these will be mastered and cut from hi-res digital files.
    I don't think we'll be getting any answers anytime soon about this considering they've never released these kinda details about the vaults.
    Agreed. I won't be holding my breath for this info from 10C (but if they do give it, great! Thanks!). Since I have the OGs, I made the immediate assumption that I'd need to just wait until everyone gets these things and plays them before I know if I want to bother buying them. I will base my buying decision on the reviews of members I trust when it comes to knowing their vinyl. If they sound better than the OGs, I'm in... So I am definitely very curious about what "mastered specifically for vinyl" entails too!
    I'm putting as much stock in "mastered for vinyl" as I do for "mastered for itunes." It's a marketing ploy. What I do know is these albums were put out during the heyday of the CD. As long as we aren't getting any concrete answers on how these were "mastered," then I am going to operate under the assumption that they're not going to sound much better than what I already have. That's why I don't buy the vaults on vinyl.

And I'm not "bitching" as someone ignorantly said above. I am an educated consumer. I want to know what I am buying. Even though I did not buy a Pono, at least Neil's revolution has taught me to be more discretionary in what I listen to because there's a lot of crappy masters and "remasters" out there.

I'm happy that the band is putting something out, because the prices of the originals are ridiculous. And the bootlegs are ridiculous. I still find it hilarious that the official Pearl Jam facebook was posting pictures of bootlegs.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    goldrush said:

I pulled the trigger on this one without thinking, now I'm starting to question my sanity.
    I already have all of these from back in the day (except Hail Hail of course) so I don't need them. I just couldn't help myself.
    I would have preferred the box sets to continue - a live disc, a few rarities and the other stuff was cool - and a full set would have looked great together. It seems a strange decision to give up on them after 2, especially when this stuff doesn't include any rarities.

I have all the vinyl too and I have buyers guilt now, but who knows. I feel they were priced really cheap and I'll prob spin them instead of the originals to save the originals. Who knows, it's only money right.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Awesome! Have all the OPs of everything already. Happy for all the folks that don't have these!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    I have all the OPs except for Hail Hail but I still bought them in case they are better cuts.
  • Options
    fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 193
    TL61540 said:

I assume that these will get a regular commercial (record store, amazon...) release? Any word on that?

Yes, acoustic sounds has it up on their site.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    Sarava said:

I also love that they didn't split these up in to 2 LP's. Keeps the price down and you don't have to flip it every 3 songs.

Now, since it's sort of a reissue deal, they could have put the b-sides on the 4th side instead of the random etching...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options

regarding the boxset, the Ten one was cool, but the vs/vitalogy one was pretty mediocre.. if you ask me, better this than an boxset with poor content on it.. release the b-sides (if there are some) on Lost dogs II and III, and keep the live shows going for the Vault series.

Yeah. They could have done a Randall's Island CD/vinyl as the bonus, but why not just do that as a Vault?

Unfortunately, that means we wait another year for the Vault release of 10/22/2003... *sigh* THAT vault would sell INSANE copies! ... and seeing it would be black vinyl with the same box as the previous vaults, it wouldn't do anything to anyone who might have other vinyl copies of that show...
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options

Is this right?

Pre-order means you order the item before it is released to the public. You receive the item when it is released to the public, pre-ordering is to ensure that you will get the item before it sells out.

Pre-sale means that you can buy the item before it is released to the public. You will receive the item before it is released to the public.

IMO..

Pre-order means that they'll see how many people want one and then be sure to have enough made up (plus some extras.) Undoubtedly, there'll be copies released to amazon, retail stores, etc.

Pre-sale means "items are limited, but you'll get yours close to street date."

There's a slight difference, but it's moot.

• Options

now people can stop wasting their money on the crappy colored bootlegs.

I still can't believe people buy those shit.
    They're desperate. What they don't realize is that those are pressed from digital files, essentially making them FLAC (or worse) on disc. You'd be better off obtaining a digital copy and playing a record with the volume turned down while playing the digital copy. Some of those boots (errr 'scuze me, limited edition colored Czech releases) are good quality and others have segments missing, looping, etc.
  • Options

Also, I would assume that since these are not limited to 10C members and there is a street date attached to the listings, these will be available in record stores in August.

Point being - in my opinion, it's not necessary to put yourself in debt to order these today since previous reissues are still widely available. Again, in my opinion.

That's what tears at me. They won't announce bonuses like the McCready Symphony "splotchy" vinyl or "random copies autographed by the band" or whatever else Santos comes up with. People bought their Lightning Bolt vinyl at a local store and then the red ones started showing up...

• Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917

PJ_Soul said:

AndySlash said:

@Santos L. Halper are these going to be cut from the original analog tapes and where will the records be pressed? Also, what does "mastered specifically for vinyl" entail? Your pal bUCK

this is a question that should be answered. i suspect these will be mastered and cut from hi-res digital files.
    I don't think we'll be getting any answers anytime soon about this considering they've never released these kinda details about the vaults.
    Agreed. I won't be holding my breath for this info from 10C (but if they do give it, great! Thanks!). Since I have the OGs, I made the immediate assumption that I'd need to just wait until everyone gets these things and plays them before I know if I want to bother buying them. I will base my buying decision on the reviews of members I trust when it comes to knowing their vinyl. If they sound better than the OGs, I'm in... So I am definitely very curious about what "mastered specifically for vinyl" entails too!
    I'm putting as much stock in "mastered for vinyl" as I do for "mastered for itunes." It's a marketing ploy. What I do know is these albums were put out during the heyday of the CD. As long as we aren't getting any concrete answers on how these were "mastered," then I am going to operate under the assumption that they're not going to sound much better than what I already have. That's why I don't buy the vaults on vinyl.

And I'm not "bitching" as someone ignorantly said above. I am an educated consumer. I want to know what I am buying. Even though I did not buy a Pono, at least Neil's revolution has taught me to be more discretionary in what I listen to because there's a lot of crappy masters and "remasters" out there.

I'm happy that the band is putting something out, because the prices of the originals are ridiculous. And the bootlegs are ridiculous. I still find it hilarious that the official Pearl Jam facebook was posting pictures of bootlegs.
    An educated consumer and Pono purchaser. Nice. Very rare in these parts.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options

FrankieG said:

Am I crazy for not getting all of the singles?

I don't think so. I only bought the singles that have a b side that isn't on vinyl somewhere else. Some of the singles have a B side that is already on the album.
    The singles don't appear to be remixed...

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    well done, 10C!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    shecky said:

I opted for getting two of each album instead of one of each plus the five 7" records.
    Same price and - I know it's a sin to some in these quarters - I like to archive a sealed copy of my favorite albums. My playing copy has to wear out sooner or later!
    These were a fair price and I can't see them being much cheaper when they hit the stores later this summer.

Vinyl doesn't degrade like CD does. Those records from the 50s and 60s still play great as long as the owner takes care of them. The needle, OTOH...
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Is this right?

Pre-order means you order the item before it is released to the public. You receive the item when it is released to the public, pre-ordering is to ensure that you will get the item before it sells out.

Pre-sale means that you can buy the item before it is released to the public. You will receive the item before it is released to the public.

I have no idea, but now explan remaster vs reissue to me please :D

Reissue is the original mix on re-released. Sometimes, you can tell the difference because there's a current year printed on the small print on the bottom. The newer copies of Ten say something like "Copyright 1991/2011" or some such.

Remastered is... I think... when they take the original master tapes and clean them up, like how they do with old movies or those TV shows from the 80s and 90s that were released on DVD.
  • Options
    The Akkus said:

Not to be greedy, but a 7 inch Merkinball would have really put the icing on the ole cake.

True story:

A few years ago, 10C did a 7" mystery sale for $10 USD. One item per member. Naturally, no knowing what you got until it was opened. They had one copy of the 1991 single, one copy of a blue fixer. They had hundreds of common/newer stuff. Someone started a thread here that attempted to track what people got.

I got a Merkinball.
  • Options
    mandarine65mandarine65 Posts: 133
    PJ_Soul said:

svenhoek said:

choop said:

"I do not buy into this sound quality thing"

just an FYI, I mean this is pretty much proven to be fact that the fewer grooves, the better it will sound. science and shit.

Correct, but fewer grooves does very little for you if they did a crappy job mastering in the first place.
    Definitely. What I really meant by my comment was that just because an LP is put onto 2 disc, it doesn't in any way, shape, or form guarantee that it will sound better than the original. I think that MOST reissues that are spread between 2 discs (not to mention a lot of new albums that are as well) are only 2 discs because they can jack the prices on the album, since the sound quality isn't superior at all. People will feel ripped off if a 1LP, regular length album (obviously long albums are an exception) costs $45. But many people will happily fork over $45 for a 2LP album. I think that, for the most part, this is just a marketing ploy. Can't tell you how many times I've bought a 2LP reissue and been horribly disappointed, to the point where I traded it in and tracked down an OG.
    True, but technically a 2xLP should sound better, more space allocated for the same amount of music, simple as that. But as you said no guarantee, lots of reissue are crappy and old originals picked for a few bucks in a cool store will often sound ten times better. As always just depends who does the job, all double LPs from MOV sound amazing.
  • Options

Imagine a Lost Dogs, RVM and Benny re-issue lol I can dream, right?

Dimi got Ghost. Stranger stuff has happened...