Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    luvspearljamluvspearljam NY, NY Posts: 207
    While I agree that I would like to hear some of my personal favorites, and only 1 of them is on 10, I still understand that the band enjoys playing their 'greatest hits'. The crowd goes insane, whether they're a casual fan or a fan since 91, and that has to give the band energy.

So, while I would love to have heard my personal favorites, I'm glad to not have heard Dirty Frank and I'm happy to have heard Even Flow because it still brings me back to the beginning of college and a time when I had zero fucks to have to give about anything!
  • Options
    MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 627
    I've come to the conclusion that Ed is terrible @ writing setlist b2b nights.

Where's the diversity?

Lightning bolt in the encore??? At Madison square garden???

Where's Steve Gleason?

Great show, just not epic for MSG standards.
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    I like Lightning Bolt a lot, so if they play it on consecutive nights, the world isn't ending.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774

I like Lightning Bolt a lot, so if they play it on consecutive nights, the world isn't ending.

One of my all time favorite songs
    it Rocks the house.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    Like most others, I don't think mailing it in is an appropriate term for this band. To me, that suggests half heartedness, no effort etc. This band brings it energy wise night in & night out. Even on lackluster nights they still kick ass. (Worcester 2, '13 for example)

Every show can't be epic.

That doesn't mean there isn't some level of predictability to their setlists in recent years. GTF, Rearview Mirror & SOLAT used to be my favorites, but have now become piss break songs for me. They've become staples of the show that have lost my interest. I like MYM (it helps that it's quick) but if I never heard DTE or Lightning Bolt live again, I wouldn't complain. That doesn't mean they aren't great songs, I'm just burnt out on them.

I've also been to 12 shows in the last 6 years, so I understand I am very much part of the problem.

• Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761

It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.

yep -- any show that includes Deep and Breath is going to be all right with me!
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    EGrover88EGrover88 CT Posts: 30
    The songs that were repeated got great reactions from the crowd both nights, with those in the GA pit as well as those in my sections behind the stage.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited May 2016
    back to back shows in the same space are tough. I would opt for night 1 every time.
    BUT
    it's sometimes better to relax and have fun and be thankful for what you do have...Gordon effing Sumner was there for Stone's sake.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    My first time to MSG and NYC.

All of these posts how these shows were terrible are just mind boggling to me. What I saw were two excellent rock shows, where the band was on fire and two of the best crowds I have ever seen. It was deafening in the arena, and the place was bumping all night. What I witnessed was the best band in the world rocking the world's greatest arena. I don't need to hear Strangest Tribe or some other song to etch off a personal song hit list to enjoy a show, but it's all personal preference I guess. Ed and the guys will play whatever they want and feel like playing that night. Simple.

We are to the point where folks need to hear Lost Dogs in bits entirety to feel like it was a great show.

After 6 years of not seeing any PJ shows and you feel this way after seeing them at MSG, I do feel sorry that you feel this way. I don't agree with you and I don't know what to tell you.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    jdopj said:

I don't think that someone commenting on bssically ignoring No Code through Avocado is saying the band owes them something
    There are soooo many excellent songs being missed here. Songs that cemented our dedication to the band, when alot of people were bailing.
    They have to play some hits for sure. Would just like a taste of the middle albums
    This is a healthy discussion, no need for everyone to get defensive

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrpink90 said:

10 repeats for the 2 msg shows this year, in 2010 there were 7 repeats between the 2 msg shows but thats a little misleading cuz they were promoting backspacer so they played the fixer, unthought known, just breathe and the end both nights. the only non backspacer songs they played both nights were do the evolution, alive, and amazingly LUKIN.

the non lightning bolt repeats this year were jeremy, do the evolution, porch, even flow, once, alive, given to fly, corduroy, and elderly woman. this msg stand definitely had more of a "greatest hits" feel, theres no denying it,

Good point... and lukin was different each night because of slow lukin night 2
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    the reason for such a sharp response is the phrase "mailed it in". It is kind of incendiary, and a bit insulting to the band. The thread-starter has since indicated that it was a poor choice of wording.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,477
    They have to balance the wants of the collectors vs those of the casual fans and they may have been more on the side of casual fans in this show but that certainly doesn't equate to mailing it in. Jese

Also re repeats not everyone can make both shows and it wasn't that many anyway.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    YLed2 said:

My first time to MSG and NYC.

All of these posts how these shows were terrible are just mind boggling to me. What I saw were two excellent rock shows, where the band was on fire and two of the best crowds I have ever seen. It was deafening in the arena, and the place was bumping all night. What I witnessed was the best band in the world rocking the world's greatest arena. I don't need to hear Strangest Tribe or some other song to etch off a personal song hit list to enjoy a show, but it's all personal preference I guess. Ed and the guys will play whatever they want and feel like playing that night. Simple.

We are to the point where folks need to hear Lost Dogs in bits entirety to feel like it was a great show.

After 6 years of not seeing any PJ shows and you feel this way after seeing them at MSG, I do feel sorry that you feel this way. I don't agree with you and I don't know what to tell you.

No, we are not at that point, you are jumping to an extreme conclusion.

My2hands just quoted jdopj & he hit the nail on the head with it:

jdopj said:

I don't think that someone commenting on bssically ignoring No Code through Avocado is saying the band owes them something
    There are soooo many excellent songs being missed here. Songs that cemented our dedication to the band, when alot of people were bailing.
    They have to play some hits for sure. Would just like a taste of the middle albums
    This is a healthy discussion, no need for everyone to get defensive
  • Options
    deweildeweil Posts: 245
    mrpink90 said:

they didnt mail it in. but i agree with everything else. their setlists are more "predictable" than theyve ever been. i felt that way in 2013 with the 4 show run in philly and brooklyn. there were alot of repeats. it was the first time i could ever predict what was coming next.

I disagree with 2013 assessment - i was there and they played 83 different songs across 4 nights/2 cities. I felt there were a lot more surprises then - a lot more repeats this time around.
  • Options

Greatest hits setlist played really well is ALWAYS better than a rare songs setlist that has no pace and that is more often than not sloppy

Thats why i like Spectrum 03 better than any of the "rarity shows" that ive seen.

partly agree - the lost dogs phl and nyc got were on the meh side - in the moonlight, all night especially - really killed the energy where i was. but throw in hold on, hard to imagine, sad, fatal...i think a different story. depends on when they're played (encores vs main set) . bee girl in encore worked, for example. and breath/footsteps/solat/yellow led always work b/c they're so well known, they're hardly bsides/lost dogs .
  • Options
    Not every b2b is gonna be Mansfield or Spectrum (man, I just looked at Spectrum setlists...4 nights = 110 different songs! 43 songs on Halloween!) - My brother was given a free ticket and had no appreciation for what he witnessed. Only PJ could have amazingly diverse sets for 3 nights and then break out:
    Last Exit, Severed Hand, You Are, Amongst the Waves. Rats, I'm Open, I got ID, Glorified, Out of My Mind, Insignificance, Inside Job, Bugs, Whip It, Crown, Satans Bed, Sweet Lew, Smile...and still have plenty of room for Alive, Black, Why Go, Porch, etc.

Do I wish my 4 shows (PHL/NYC) were as diverse as those 4 nights? Absolutely! Am I upset at hearing so many repeats? Absolutely not! Would it be better if certain songs weren't played every night? Definitely - it makes them more special when they're perfunctory. Porch, Alive, DTE, GTF - I love them and they're great live songs, but switching it up is OK. Some bands never change their sets, some bands do it so much so that the quality of the performances suffer. PJ is in that happy medium where any song is possible but they still have some mainstays. It was a great time - I heard a bunch of songs for the first/second times, still have plenty of reasons to see them next tour, but I would definitely enjoy shows that had more:

Binaural
    Riot Act
    Avocado
    No Code (Specifically - Red Mosquito, Smile, Sometimes)
    Yield (specifically - No Way (why is this so rare???) Faithfull)

Lost Dogs - Sad, Fatal, Hold On,

Different Covers - I heard a bunch of new covers this tour - Comfortably Numb, Throw Your Hatred Down, Fuckin' Up,Driven To Tears, Surrender, Picture in a Frame, Takin it to the Streets- Keep it up! Bring back Kids are Alright, Walkin the Cow, many of the covers Eddie plays solo...it doesn't have to be Rockin, Baba, and Last Kiss every night :) - I would love for them to play more MLB, maybe a Soundgarden song, Plenty of great Neil songs they learned for Mirror Ball tour they could bring up - Peace and Love, Down by the River, Cowgirl in the Sand, Eddie would KILL Tonight's the Night, Southern Man,
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    some of yall are fucking unreal, my god...
    I have been to 35 shows...seen DTE 29 times, betterman 27, evenflow 25, and so on, and so on...
    I do not fucking care, i go to hometown shows (philly), travel to destinations I most likely would not ever go to (Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Hartford, Alpine Valley etc..) drink beers, have fun, site see and go watch the best band on the planet! I get it, you don't want to see betterman two nights in a row..I myself questioned the band in 2013 why Pendulum opened 80% of the shows...
    but to say this band has ever mailed it in, is beyond absurd...Its already been sung, but it cant be said enough, all you need is love.
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    jimc3 said:

As far as rarities go: All or None was played mon night. 15th time ever. Technically more rare than Parachutes. I was in fan club seats...during All or None half my section was sitting, looking at their phones, chatting with their friend. Just saying...

you're exactly correct on this...also with In the Moonlight philly night 1. That philly night one show was on pace to blow the roof off...steam was then let our after the "rarities".
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    deweil said:

mrpink90 said:

they didnt mail it in. but i agree with everything else. their setlists are more "predictable" than theyve ever been. i felt that way in 2013 with the 4 show run in philly and brooklyn. there were alot of repeats. it was the first time i could ever predict what was coming next.

I disagree with 2013 assessment - i was there and they played 83 different songs across 4 nights/2 cities. I felt there were a lot more surprises then - a lot more repeats this time around.

brooklyn 2 and philly 2 were very similar shows in 2013. i had ga for both shows so i was going nuts for both and had the time of my life, but during philly 2 i remember telling my wife i feel like we just saw this show from the same spot in brooklyn,
  • Options
    mrpink90 said:

deweil said:

mrpink90 said:

brooklyn 2 and philly 2 were very similar shows in 2013. i had ga for both shows so i was going nuts for both and had the time of my life, but during philly 2 i remember telling my wife i feel like we just saw this show from the same spot in brooklyn,
    Yes I was at B2 and P2 as well and not only were the repeats the most I'd ever seen. at least twenty but the songs were in the same order as well. The order really stood out to me because i predicted several times what the next song would be. I still loved both shows though.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I agree with the OP. The band used to mix up their setlists much better. Columvia was the only show only saw this tour and it was the worst I have seen in 40+ show.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    jordn6971 said:

I agree with the OP. The band used to mix up their setlists much better. Columvia was the only show only saw this tour and it was the worst I have seen in 40+ show.

:lol:
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options

jordn6971 said:

So you have something to add?
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    jordn6971 said:

jordn6971 said:

Columbia rocked, Al!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Columbia was pretty effing amazing.
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

jordn6971 said:

jordn6971 said:

Columbia rocked, Al!!
    I thought Mike had a bad night. Listen to the bootleg. He couldn't remember how to play marker in the Sand or infallible. Marker is one of my favorite songs so that was a let down. And we got another rockin in the free world and YLB. Don't need either of those especially since Mike didn't really solo much in YLB.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    2013 Worcester 2 after 2013 Worcester 1 not as amazing, but still head and shoulders above any other effing thing I would have been doing.
    I haven't seen a million shows, (just TEN as a matter of fact), but that 2nd Worcester show is the lowest ranked of all of them.
    Granted, the Worcester Centrum is not by any means Madison Square Garden. The only guest we had was Dick from Norwood.

ed. and The Other Side too
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    I think they messed up light years too. Another of my favorites.
  • Options

I'm going to preface this by saying MSG2 was my first show in six years. Not because I love the band any less, but sometimes life gets in the way, and lots of things happen - before you know it, it's been six years. But I've also seen my fair share of shows - some spectacular shows (Borgata 2 in 05, my first show, followed by the Philly 05 show, the final two shows at the Spectrum) and some mediocre ones (Camden and Mansfield in 08).

Knowing what this band can do, having seen them many times on back to back nights, having seen them really dig into their catalogue, etc., I can honestly say last night's show was a huge disappointment.

I don't come to see Pearl Jam to hear their greatest hits, and I can safely say the majority of us don't come to hear a greatest hits album either, but that's what we basically got. 7 songs off of Ten, 7 covers, 4 from LB, 3 from Vs. and 3 from Vitalogy. 75% of the show was either their newest album, not their stuff, or written before 1995. I know that's how this band actually got popular, but the reason they developed a devout following was because of albums like No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act.

Yes, it was great to see All or None, great to see Present Tense, great to see Breath. But a few songs in a first encore a show does not make. And frankly, the encore wasn't spectacular even with those songs.

Think of shows like 10/3/05 in Philly - a first set that had Wash, Brain of J, Faithfull, Sad, Alone, and Green Disease in the first 10 songs alone.

It's MSG. It's the second night in the same city, and they chose to play it safe and play their hits, which is their right. But let's not fool ourselves and say what a great show this was. It wasn't, and it wasn't even close. I recognize the guys are getting long in the tooth, I recognize it's the fourth show in five nights, but they can be so much better than what they gave us last night. This isn't sour grapes, it's just an honest assessment.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I can't understand some of the logic that gets tossed around here. I've seen this band five times this year and each one was better than the last and that's why I can't wait till the next one.

It might be time for some people to take a break and check out some other artists.