Options

Pearl Jam Mailed It In On Monday Night

Comments

• Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    And for the record, I agree with OP. For the life of me, I don't understand why someone would wanna hear corduroy, MYM, DTE when you just heard it live 24 hours ago. There are so many other GREAT songs out there to choose from! It was not like that in 2000 or 2003 or even in 96 for that matter. So yea, maybe some of us are pissed because PJ used to be different every night...and I miss that about them!!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Phi
    sak300zx said:

pjhawks said:

did a quick calculation - over 2 nights and about 6 hours of music they played a total of 65 songs, 11 which were repeated. so they played 54 (or 83%) unique songs over 2 nights. most bands outside of Springsteen don't play 54 unique songs in a full tour. yea they mailed it in (cue eye roll - drops mic and heads off stage)

I disagree with the "mailed it in" comment. PJ never "mails it in" and always brings the house down. I think the frustration is, for me at least, is I fucking love PJ so much that I want to hear as much of their music as possible. I want to hear Binaural. And Riot Act. And Avocado. And every other piece of music that they have ever written/covered/played, etc. When 20% of a concert is spent playing songs I literally heard 24 hours ago, I get disappointed for all the songs I love and did not hear.

The reason why most other bands simply play a generic set list is because 75% of their music sucks.

This is pretty spot on bud. I wanted to hear songs like immortality, parting ways, moth, long road, marker, half full, etc.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502

I envy the people who have heard all songs from a specific show live.

Ive been to 7 shows and finally got Jeremy help help footsteps, tremor christ pilate cn once black, deep and happy bday twice on my 6,7. Never had release as an opener
    And my ww are garden leash hti and wash.

But to the ops defense FFL and MIA are b2b shows. They played corduroy in ffl and opened mia w it. That i dont unferstand.

This is a 25 ann/LB tour so we are getting plenty of old mixed w the newer stuff.

Now I need to figure out how to get 2 fenway tix. Shhot me a pm if u got any.

Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    MB656972MB656972 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 14

Surrender w/ Cheap Trick
    Leatherman
    Save it for Later tag
    Garden
    Deep
    Leash
    All Or None
    Present Tense
    Breath/SOLAT back to back
    Driven to Tears w/ Sting
    Sonic Reducer

Hardly mailing it in! Once I invent the time machine, I'll gladly go back and trade places with ya, man!

Word.
    05/28/2006 (Sunday)--Camden, NJ (Tweeter Center)
    06/20/2008 (Friday)--Camden, NJ (Susquehanna Bank Center)
    10/28/2009 (Wednesday)--Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum)
    05/21/2010 (Friday)--New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)
    04/28/2016 (Thursday)--Philadelphia, PA (Wells Fargo Center)
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    Bdog10 said:

And for the record, I agree with OP. For the life of me, I don't understand why someone would wanna hear corduroy, MYM, DTE when you just heard it live 24 hours ago. There are so many other GREAT songs out there to choose from! It was not like that in 2000 or 2003 or even in 96 for that matter. So yea, maybe some of us are pissed because PJ used to be different every night...and I miss that about them!!

First off I think Corduroy and DTE are probably 2 of the 3 best songs PJ does live (along with Given to Fly) so I have no problem hearing them at every show. in fact i think those 3 are core songs that PJ shows are often built around. a good set list has a mixture of up tempo, mid-temple and slower songs. too much of one thing will lead a portion of the crowd to be flat out bored. if the songs people are listing as they rather hear were all played in a row of a 6 or 7 song set the non-10 Club fans in the crowd would be bored out their skull.

secondly without having the statistics in front of me i call bullshit on 2000 and 2003 tours being more diverse. I'd have to look it up but i'd be surprised if any back-to-back nights in one city had a higher than 83% unique song rate in those tours seeing as they were promoting specific albums at the time and had a smaller catalog to choose from.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

First off I think Corduroy and DTE are probably 2 of the 3 best songs PJ does live (along with Given to Fly) so I have no problem hearing them at every show. in fact i think those 3 are core songs that PJ shows are often built around. a good set list has a mixture of up tempo, mid-temple and slower songs. too much of one thing will lead a portion of the crowd to be flat out bored. if the songs people are listing as they rather hear were all played in a row of a 6 or 7 song set the non-10 Club fans in the crowd would be bored out their skull.

secondly without having the statistics in front of me i call bullshit on 2000 and 2003 tours being more diverse. I'd have to look it up but i'd be surprised if any back-to-back nights in one city had a higher than 83% unique song rate in those tours seeing as they were promoting specific albums at the time and had a smaller catalog to choose from.
    See MSG 2003!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    Bdog10 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

See MSG 2003!
    There's always an outlier on the tour. It just isn't going to be MSG this time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    "Flat out bored" if they were to substitute Satans Bed or a Grievance instead of corduroy? Or a Glorified G ow WWS instead of Evolution. Couldn't disagree with you more

• Options
    I remember everybody complaining during the 03 tour about the lack of Ten and Vs songs being played, now it's reversed. The grass is always greener baby :)
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    Bdog10 said:

"Flat out bored" if they were to substitute Satans Bed or a Grievance instead of corduroy? Or a Glorified G ow WWS instead of Evolution. Couldn't disagree with you more

I wouldn't be but yes a good portion of the crowd wouldn't know Satan's Bed or Grievance or WWS. Whenever I go to a show and don't have 10 Club seats songs outside of 10, Vs, Yield and Vitalogy the non-10 Club fans around me just don't have a lot of reactions to songs outside those albums.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Bdog10 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

See MSG 2003!
    I saw 8 shows in 03...so obviously it just wasn't MSG. And I can promise you there were less repeats back then.

• Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

I wouldn't be but yes a good portion of the crowd wouldn't know Satan's Bed or Grievance or WWS. Whenever I go to a show and don't have 10 Club seats songs outside of 10, Vs, Yield and Vitalogy the non-10 Club fans around me just don't have a lot of reactions to songs outside those albums.

but thats the problem for some of us die hards, pearl jam is catering a little more to the casual fans nowadays then they were even just 6-7 years ago. instead of playing grievance as the 3rd song theyre gonna stick with corduroy. instead of immortality we're gonna get better man every nite.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Bdog10 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

See MSG 2003!
    W up o
    Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

Bdog10 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

See MSG 2003!
    I saw 8 shows in 03...so obviously it just wasn't MSG. And I can promise you there were less repeats back then.
    Bdog10 said:

tbergs said:

Bdog10 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

See MSG 2003!
    Are the statistics really that much different of overlap songs?
  • Options
    SputNickSputNick Posts: 104
    No other band play 3 hour shows, with such energy and with different setlists every night! From this point of view we should all be grateful of being able to attend their shows. PJ is the best live band right now, enjoy it as long as it lasts!
    As stand alone shows both MSG were really good.
    I understand though that people that went to both shows or that follow this tour are disappointed with only some of the repetitions in the setlist. PJ setlists are becoming more and more predictable since 2010 e.g. Given to Fly, DTE, E-flow in main set, Porch at the end of encore 1, Alive and Small Town almost always there etc. So whether you like them or not these songs will be there for whatever reason (s that Mike can play solo's behind his back or just because they are great live songs).

It seems that in this 2016 tour there are less songs in the rotation, and only the band can know why. I think if only a few of the repeated songs (maybe Corduroy, LB, MYM, Jeremy or Small Town) were replaced by some songs from Binaural, Yield, Riot Act or Avocado everybody would have been talking about an amazingMSG2 show. And I am not talking about b-sides or rarities. Just songs from these albums that used to be in the rotation before e.g. Grievance, Insignificance, Light Years, Green Disease, Save you, WWS, Severed Hand etc.

By the way just to get the numbers right:
    They played 66 songs total with 11 songs being repeated. That means 44 unique songs not 54 or am I getting this wrong?
    Binaural > Vs > No Code > Yield = Riot Act > Vitalogy > Ten > Pearl Jam > Dark Matter > Gigaton > Lightning Bolt > Backspacer
  • Options
    mrpink90 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

but thats the problem for some of us die hards, pearl jam is catering a little more to the casual fans nowadays then they were even just 6-7 years ago. instead of playing grievance as the 3rd song theyre gonna stick with corduroy. instead of immortality we're gonna get better man every nite.
    This. Exactly!! The casual fan didn't make PJ who they are today. With out the die hards you really think PJ would be selling out MSG and Philly?

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I thought the expression wss "phoned it in"
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mrpink90mrpink90 Posts: 415
    i wish they would treat corduroy and do the evolution like black and daughter. play them alot but not every single night. given to fly is reaching that point too. they obviously like the audience participation of those songs but it just adds to the predictability of the show. i hate the new corduroy breakdown, thats such a cliche thing to do at a show with the audience repeating the singer's ooohs and aaaaahs.
  • Options
    Throw in Alive, RITFW, and Baba. Great tunes yes, but give it a break already. Very predictable

• Options
    London BridgeLondon Bridge USA Posts: 4,733
    Last tour there was all the whining about Pendulum being played all the time.
    This tour it's... bla bla bla

My definition of disappointment is when the band stops touring forever.
  • Options
    SputNick said:

No other band play 3 hour shows, with such energy and with different setlists every night! From this point of view we should all be grateful of being able to attend their shows. PJ is the best live band right now, enjoy it as long as it lasts!
    As stand alone shows both MSG were really good.
    I understand though that people that went to both shows or that follow this tour are disappointed with only some of the repetitions in the setlist. PJ setlists are becoming more and more predictable since 2010 e.g. Given to Fly, DTE, E-flow in main set, Porch at the end of encore 1, Alive and Small Town almost always there etc. So whether you like them or not these songs will be there for whatever reason (s that Mike can play solo's behind his back or just because they are great live songs).

It seems that in this 2016 tour there are less songs in the rotation, and only the band can know why. I think if only a few of the repeated songs (maybe Corduroy, LB, MYM, Jeremy or Small Town) were replaced by some songs from Binaural, Yield, Riot Act or Avocado everybody would have been talking about an amazingMSG2 show. And I am not talking about b-sides or rarities. Just songs from these albums that used to be in the rotation before e.g. Grievance, Insignificance, Light Years, Green Disease, Save you, WWS, Severed Hand etc.

By the way just to get the numbers right:
    They played 66 songs total with 11 songs being repeated. That means 44 unique songs not 54 or am I getting this wrong?

Again...yes other bands do play 3 hour shows and mix up their set lists way much more than PJ.

Phish, WSP

• Options
    Not being at the show, I look at the set list and decide whether the boot is worth it based on the lesser known songs being played, but if I'm at the show, I'm not thinking or feeling that at all (except for Sirens, just can't get into it). Is 11 alot for PJ to repeat, yeah. If they cut that to 6 I think most would have been happy. Does it make the show less intense or energizing? I don't think so. Will I get this boot, no probably not, as opposed to MSG1 & 2 from 2010 which I love. I have that with other tours as well though. I love this band and they love playing so keep it coming! I think Canada is in for some amazing shows.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited May 2016
    Greatest hits setlist played really well is ALWAYS better than a rare songs setlist that has no pace and that is more often than not sloppy

Thats why i like Spectrum 03 better than any of the "rarity shows" that ive seen.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Other than PJ20, you would not want a show packed just with rarities. Then you'd be complaining that all the fans were lame. The energy comes from sprinkling Alive, etc. throughout the set. I mean, I loved Leatherman, but if they followed that with 3 others off Lost Dogs, half the arena would have been streaming for the exits. It's a delicate balance, and they do a great job with it. How can you not enjoy Mike's take on Alive each night? Yeah, played a lot, but I don't care that Eric Clapton plays Layla every show either.

It's fun to watch the crowd feed off the band and vice versa. A set of Otherside, Fatal, Sweet Lew, etc sounds like fun and would be for you and me, but once you looked around and realized we are part of 10-15% of the people still listening without a wtf look on our faces you'd realize it's not quite as much fun. And that's not even mentioning the band would not be as tight bc they'd be playing 15 songs they never play. Let's face it, practice makes perfect. And sound system glitches aside which they have nothing to do with, they sounded better musically as a band these past 2 nights than I can remember.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited May 2016

It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.

it seems like everyone is expecting too much lately, i don't get it
    How was I expecting too much? They mailed this show in and played the greatest hits. What sets this group apart is that they, normally, do not do that.
    Mailing in the show (or phoning it in, whatever, lol!) is a lot different than not having a setlist full of rarities. Mailing it in means they didn't give a shit, had no energy, no passion, and basically acted like they didn't really want to be there. Is that the case? Or did you just expect a more diverse setlist?

I feel like people are getting obsessive about these setlists.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Bdog10 said:

mrpink90 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

This. Exactly!! The casual fan didn't make PJ who they are today. With out the die hards you really think PJ would be selling out MSG and Philly?
    Waaaaaaaahhhhhh. Please dude. Take a look at every bands setlists. All setlists cater to casual fans. R u kidding me. You act like they owe u something based on song selection. Have u ever seen a live band phone it in? I have. Kings of Leon, incubus, tool and countless others. While technically good, performances will never match the intensity of a PJ set. I understand being unhappy with certain song choices but seriously. How many die hard fans were in the MSG? Half of the 21k? Be realistic. Even in GA there was a woman next to me texting the entire show. Die hard? I think not. Some people go into a show with their pinkies on their mouth critiquing every fucking song choice. Damn. Don't mean to single this out but they owe you nothing. They keep ticket prices as cheap as possible while consistently playing over 2.5 hours. Was I happy with 11 repeats ? No. But phoning it in? Owing us "diehards" something. That's bullshit.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    ^^ +1
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^+2
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    PJ_Soul said:

It was my fifth show of this tour and I had an excellent time. Footsteps, Breath, special guests, the Man trilogy, and some great sing a longs. I think you were expecting too much.

it seems like everyone is expecting too much lately, i don't get it
    How was I expecting too much? They mailed this show in and played the greatest hits. What sets this group apart is that they, normally, do not do that.
    Mailing in the show (or phoning it in, whatever, lol!) is a lot different than not having a setlist full of rarities. Mailing it in means they didn't give a shit, had no energy, no passion, and basically acted like they didn't really want to be there. Is that the case? Or did you just expect a more diverse setlist?

I feel like people are getting obsessive about these setlists.
    Obsessive isn't the word. its insane. Again, I'm on board with people wanting certain songs or not digging a set as much as someone else. But I've yet to see a band play with the passion that pj does. The constant crowd interaction, fulfilled requests, dedications and sweat they leave in the stage is all the evidence I need. I've watched headliners play 1.5 hours without breaking a sweat.
  • Options
    LauraaLauraa Posts: 18
    ^^+3
  • Options
    LauraaLauraa Posts: 18
    nicknyr15 said:

Bdog10 said:

mrpink90 said:

pjhawks said:

Bdog10 said:

Waaaaaaaahhhhhh. Please dude. Take a look at every bands setlists. All setlists cater to casual fans. R u kidding me. You act like they owe u something based on song selection. Have u ever seen a live band phone it in? I have. Kings of Leon, incubus, tool and countless others. While technically good, performances will never match the intensity of a PJ set. I understand being unhappy with certain song choices but seriously. How many die hard fans were in the MSG? Half of the 21k? Be realistic. Even in GA there was a woman next to me texting the entire show. Die hard? I think not. Some people go into a show with their pinkies on their mouth critiquing every fucking song choice. Damn. Don't mean to single this out but they owe you nothing. They keep ticket prices as cheap as possible while consistently playing over 2.5 hours. Was I happy with 11 repeats ? No. But phoning it in? Owing us "diehards" something. That's bullshit.
    ^^+3