Options

Toronto 5/11 show OFFICIALLY moved to 5/12

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    edited May 2016
    "We're playing BAS-KET-Ball" We're playing BASS-KET-Ball!!!

basketball is my favorite sport, I love they way they dribble up and down the court.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SALLYROOSALLYROO Posts: 51
    vzouzal said:

How sure are we about this? Seems like MLSE would have some say in this as well, and I can't see them wanting to tear down from the concert for the game, to then tear it all down again. Series don't follow a strict format all the time.....

I wondered that as well. Who pays the crew to do that twice. ACC? Obviously I have no idea how this works LOL. But someone asked me if the band would just move ahead a day and play May 9th and 10th, vs 10th and 11th. I know they play Ottawa the 8th and 3 nights in a row would be a drag but Ottawa isn't toooo far away... Oh well, if the band end up playing May 12th, I guess I'll be selling my Brian Jonestown Massacre tix (Danforth Music Hall).
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    The odds of this series being a sweep are minimal in my opinion.

I'm planning on the show being May 12th.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,605
    lolobugg said:

basketball is my favorite sport, I love they way they dribble up and down the court.

And up and down and up and down, back and forth and back and forth for what seems like an eternal loop in time. :punch::lol:;)

Anyway, this is surprising to me. Obviously it does happen, but I'm not used to seeing it. Perhaps this is more a basketball thing, because I've never seen a hockey playoff game force the rescheduling of a concert before. I would have expected the venue and the NBA would honour previously booked events and work around them as seems to be the case with the NHL (as far as I've noticed).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

And up and down and up and down, back and forth and back and forth for what seems like an eternal loop in time. :punch::lol:;)

Anyway, this is surprising to me. Obviously it does happen, but I'm not used to seeing it. Perhaps this is more a basketball thing, because I've never seen a hockey playoff game force the rescheduling of a concert before. I would have expected the venue and the NBA would honour previously booked events and work around them as seems to be the case with the NHL (as far as I've noticed).
    PJ Soul,
    don't know if it is like this in Canada, but sports trumps all things in the USA. concerts are totally at the mercy of the all powerful leagues.

and btw.... basketball isn't my fave sport.... that is an old rap song. :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

Canadian hockey teams aren't usually playing in May most years :lol:

And the NBA/NHL arenas won't pick a concert over the teams that use that facility 40+ games per season. In this case, the Raptors and Leafs would trump a concert. This is why it's ok to book multiple shows in Philly and NYC, because their basketball and hockey teams rarely make it to late April early May :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    The amount of money that an NBA playoff game brings versus a PJ show I'm sure is I'm sure dramatic. Not just ticket sales but the TV rights, sponsorships, etc. No one is paying extra from outside the venue for a PJ show while lots of money is flowing supporting a playoff game.

All this was likely set up and discussed at the time of booking the venue and the risk was assessed by the band knowing there was a chance. They will likely be on the hook for the tear down and set up between the two shows.

When the shows were announces, all dates we listed as subject to change.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • Options
    FlyingwFlyingw Brantford Posts: 443
    Yes, this sucks. It was hard to not cheer for a Toronto team to do well in the playoffs.
    I hope that we all get to enjoy the true PJ experience we know and love.
    In trying to find a silver lining in all of this...I think that PJ will find solace in the fact that The Who had one of their shows postponed as a result of the Raptors' playoff schedule as well.
    Perhaps there will be a Seattle SuperSonics-inspired event shirt/poster!
    Here's hoping the Raptors sweep the Heat!
    Aug 18/93 Toronto, May 9/06 Toronto, Sept 11/11 Toronto, Sept 15/11 Hamilton,
    July 16/13 London, Oct 12/13 Buffalo, Oct 17/14 Detroit,
    April 8/16, Ft. Lauderdale, April 9/16 Miami, May 8/16 Ottawa, May 10/16 Toronto
    May 11/16 Toronto, Aug 20/16 Wrigley, Aug 22/16 Wrigley, TOTD Nov 5/16 Philly
  • Options
    RP112579 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

And the NBA/NHL arenas won't pick a concert over the teams that use that facility 40+ games per season. In this case, the Raptors and Leafs would trump a concert. This is why it's ok to book multiple shows in Philly and NYC, because their basketball and hockey teams rarely make it to late April early May :lol:
    dude, they me about it... my Knicks have sucked since Isaiah Thomas did them on all fours.
    they might never recover... :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    RP112579 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

All I know is that I have never heard of Rogers Arena in Vancouver rescheduling a concert to accommodate a Canucks playoff game (and yes, believe it or not they have played in the playoffs more often than not, haha!). And I'm pretty sure that the Vancouver Grizzlies never had to worry about it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    lolobugg said:

RP112579 said:

PJ_Soul said:

lolobugg said:

dude, they me about it... my Knicks have sucked since Isaiah Thomas did them on all fours.
    they might never recover... :lol:
    At least the Rangers have had a decent season or two recently. But the Knicks are just awful.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    GJ125369GJ125369 Canada Posts: 40
    It is what it is but I don’t get why the NBA didn’t just shift the final 3 games to May 12th,14th, and 16th. I’m not seeing any other schedule conflicts and there aren’t even any NBA games scheduled for May 14th. Also the Warriors-Blazers series plays game 7 on the 16th if necessary so it’s not as if round 2 would have been running an extra day. I hope everyone’s still able to make the show!
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    lolobugg said:

PJ Soul,
    don't know if it is like this in Canada, but sports trumps all things in the USA. concerts are totally at the mercy of the all powerful leagues.

I'm sure only us "Old Folks" remember this song Logan!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shxzlTRK44
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    GJ125369 said:

It is what it is but I don’t get why the NBA didn’t just shift the final 3 games to May 12th,14th, and 16th. I’m not seeing any other schedule conflicts and there aren’t even any NBA games scheduled for May 14th. Also the Warriors-Blazers series plays game 7 on the 16th if necessary so it’s not as if round 2 would have been running an extra day. I hope everyone’s still able to make the show!

EXACTLY.
  • Options
    derbydave said:

lolobugg said:

PJ Soul,

I'm sure only us "Old Folks" remember this song Logan!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shxzlTRK44
    that's my man!!!
    thanks for the link, Dave.
    brings back some memories :lol:

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Sandy66Sandy66 Queensland, Australia Posts: 226
    I don't think I can change my flights without it costing me a fortune and I also bought my ticket on stubhub anyone have any ideas what happens there?
    BDO, Melbourne, 2014.   EV Solo, Melbourne, 2014.   Memphis, 2014.   Detroit, 2014.   St Paul, 2014.  Global Citizens Festival, NYC, 2015.   Columbia, 2016.   Jazz Fest, New Orleans, 2016.   Philly 1 & 2, 2016.   MSG 1 & 2, New York, 2016.  Ottawa, 2016.   Toronto 1, 2016.  Amsterdam 1 & 2, 2018.  London 1, 2018.  Padova, 2018.  Rome, 2018.  Prague, 2018.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    rummy said:

GJ125369 said:

EXACTLY.
    Yeah, totally agree. Rescheduling the show is a huge pain for many people, while just booking the games for a couple days later would cause no probs for anyone. I don't get it.... I guess doing that could delay the next round slightly... perhaps that's why they feel they HAVE to do this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,545
    Sandy66 said:

I don't think I can change my flights without it costing me a fortune and I also bought my ticket on stubhub anyone have any ideas what happens there?

Not familiar with how these things work but what happens if you miss your flight and wait it out for the next available flight?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,018
    100 Pacer said:

Sandy66 said:

Not familiar with how these things work but what happens if you miss your flight and wait it out for the next available flight?
    This is an interesting thought if it's the same day. Most of us are looking at changing from May 12 to May 13 though so I think this would be tougher to pull off.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    GJ125369 said:

It's the TV contracts, which are worth a lot more money then any concert, period.
  • Options
    oxceroxcer Posts: 7
    If anyone does need to sell your ticket to the show once it moves to the 12th, let me know. I would take a single ticket or pair. Can't afford what the resale prices I'm seeing. Thanks,
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,242
    It's pretty crazy they can do that. My experience has been with the NHL, but I don't think I've ever seen a concert get bumped because of an NHL playoff game. They try not to schedule in too many concerts, and they're room to put the game a day before after a concert.

Is it only the NBA that wields this power? NHL is pretty sloppy with their scheduling in the first. In the regular season they give teams all sorts of days off then make them do back to back games. In the play offs they some teams start the 2nd day, have a 3 day off window. This was the first year I remember the second round starting before the 1st round was done. I guess that creates more flexibility with scheduling.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,817
    edited May 2016
    It has happened in the NHL as well but they have also played back to back games to make up for it in some occasions.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,242
    I guess I'm lucky i'm in Canucks country, it's generally not much of an issue here :)
  • Options
    Well this news just really really sucks.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    all tickets will be honoured for new date in case anyone is wondering.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    edited May 2016
    Zod said:

It's pretty crazy they can do that. My experience has been with the NHL, but I don't think I've ever seen a concert get bumped because of an NHL playoff game. They try not to schedule in too many concerts, and they're room to put the game a day before after a concert.

Is it only the NBA that wields this power? NHL is pretty sloppy with their scheduling in the first. In the regular season they give teams all sorts of days off then make them do back to back games. In the play offs they some teams start the 2nd day, have a 3 day off window. This was the first year I remember the second round starting before the 1st round was done. I guess that creates more flexibility with scheduling.

It seems as though a lot of people are assuming that PJ hasn't been aware of this potential conflict since the tour was booked. I highly doubt that this scenario wasn't known to the band when the tour was booked. They have likely had the necessary contingency plans in place since day 1.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2016
    I'm a rabid basketball fan, and I feel extremely confident that neither of these teams is good enough (or fresh enough, coming off 7-game series) to sweep.

Heat in 6, PJ concert on 5/12.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus