Options

Pearl Jam Cancels 4/20 Raleigh, NC Concert in Opposition to HB2; Official Band Statement

Comments

• Options
    JP LosmanJP Losman Raleigh Posts: 149
    Steph Curry's church is very anti LGBT rights and Curry so far has been avoiding taking a side in the HB2 debate. Put pressure on him and the NBA to make statements. Get people to boycott Warriors games until he does....get people to boycott the Hornet playoff games in Miami.

If you truly care, then go all in. If not, its just grandstanding.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    JP Losman said:

Steph Curry's church is very anti LGBT rights and Curry so far has been avoiding taking a side in the HB2 debate.

Speaking to Bay Area News on Friday, Curry said: “I’ve already kind of explained kind of how I feel about discrimination period. I think that’s not tolerable. Nowhere. And it just sucks that it’s in my home state, where there are a lot of great people there.”

Sounds like he picked a side.

And the NBA:

“The current state of the law is problematic for the league. But we’re not making any announcements now,” Commissioner Adam Silver said at the conclusion of the league’s board of governors meetings in New York. “We can be most constructive by working with elected officials to effect change.”

So, if they are trying to effect change, that would mean they oppose the law, no?
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    We dont want more shows cancelled. Less=better than. The less fans who feel this bitter disappointment, the better
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Just let Adam (ears) Silver know about this. lol
    JP Losman said:

Steph Curry's church is very anti LGBT rights and Curry so far has been avoiding taking a side in the HB2 debate. Put pressure on him and the NBA to make statements. Get people to boycott Warriors games until he does....get people to boycott the Hornet playoff games in Miami.

If you truly care, then go all in. If not, its just grandstanding.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    callen said:

choop said:

99.9% of the fan base have no idea what it would be like to be transgendered and needing to use a public bathroom. The overwhelming amount of Pearl Jam fans are white men, who don't know what it's like to be discriminated against.

This is true. But I gotta admit to being kinda confused on this whole issue. You note how awkward it must be to be transgendered and have to use a public restroom. I agree it must be. But wasn't the intent of this law to designate which bathroom to use? So that transgendered people don't have to wonder which one they should use or which one might offend people.Again, I'm of the understanding that this was the lawmakers intent. I don't think there was any malice behind it. But again, I'm not complete sure about all aspects of the issue.
    I really like that you looked at this from a different angle, one I hadn't even considered. Kudos to you. Very interesting opinion at the least
    Well I just feel that no lawmaker, even the dumbest among them, is going to discriminate just for the sake of discriminating. Especially in today's PC culture. So I feel the lawmakers were probably acting in good faith...but just without much sensitivity or discretion
    LAw makers acting in good Faith!?!?!?!?!?!? Really. Forget about understanding how discriminating the law is and the ignorance that drove it but.......
    Sure. Unless there's something for them to gain from it. What's there to be gained from discriminating against transgendered people?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

What's there to be gained from discriminating against transgendered people?

A smokescreen.

"Tucked inside is language that strips North Carolina workers of the ability to sue under a state anti-discrimination law, a right that has been upheld in court since 1985. “If you were fired because of your race, fired because of your gender, fired because of your religion,” said Allan Freyer, head of the Workers’ Rights Project at the N.C. Justice Center in Raleigh, “… you no longer have a basic remedy.”

“The LGBT issues were a Trojan horse,” added Erika Wilson, a law professor at the University of North Carolina who co-directs a legal clinic for low-income plaintiffs with job and housing discrimination claims. The broader change hasn’t received much attention, she said, because “people were so caught up in [the LGBT] part of the law that this snuck under the radar.”

Conservative-leaning groups have been trying for decades to reduce the number of civil lawsuits in the states. In HB2, lawmakers accomplished this by adding a single sentence to the state’s employment discrimination law that says: “[No] person may bring any civil action based upon the public policy expressed herein.”

The language does not repeal North Carolina’s job-bias law, which continues to ban discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, or disability. But it forces workers seeking redress for discrimination into the federal system, where access is more difficult, the rules are much more complicated, and businesses often have significant advantages. Time, in particular, is on employers’ side: Under federal law, fired workers have just 180 days to file a claim, versus three years in state court. "
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

In HB2, lawmakers accomplished this by adding a single sentence to the state’s employment discrimination law that says: “[No] person may bring any civil action based upon the public policy expressed herein.”

Well I guess that would be a good enough reason for them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

callen said:

choop said:

99.9% of the fan base have no idea what it would be like to be transgendered and needing to use a public bathroom. The overwhelming amount of Pearl Jam fans are white men, who don't know what it's like to be discriminated against.

This is true. But I gotta admit to being kinda confused on this whole issue. You note how awkward it must be to be transgendered and have to use a public restroom. I agree it must be. But wasn't the intent of this law to designate which bathroom to use? So that transgendered people don't have to wonder which one they should use or which one might offend people.Again, I'm of the understanding that this was the lawmakers intent. I don't think there was any malice behind it. But again, I'm not complete sure about all aspects of the issue.
    I really like that you looked at this from a different angle, one I hadn't even considered. Kudos to you. Very interesting opinion at the least
    Well I just feel that no lawmaker, even the dumbest among them, is going to discriminate just for the sake of discriminating. Especially in today's PC culture. So I feel the lawmakers were probably acting in good faith...but just without much sensitivity or discretion
    LAw makers acting in good Faith!?!?!?!?!?!? Really. Forget about understanding how discriminating the law is and the ignorance that drove it but.......
    Sure. Unless there's something for them to gain from it. What's there to be gained from discriminating against transgendered people?
    Votes. There are plenty of religionists out there who vote their "faith". It is easy to get the fundie vote by siding with discrimination against any heathens.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

We dont want more shows cancelled. Less=better than. The less fans who feel this bitter disappointment, the better

^^^ This...^^^
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

JP Losman said:

Steph Curry's church is very anti LGBT rights and Curry so far has been avoiding taking a side in the HB2 debate.

Speaking to Bay Area News on Friday, Curry said: “I’ve already kind of explained kind of how I feel about discrimination period. I think that’s not tolerable. Nowhere. And it just sucks that it’s in my home state, where there are a lot of great people there.”

Sounds like he picked a side.

And the NBA:

“The current state of the law is problematic for the league. But we’re not making any announcements now,” Commissioner Adam Silver said at the conclusion of the league’s board of governors meetings in New York. “We can be most constructive by working with elected officials to effect change.”

So, if they are trying to effect change, that would mean they oppose the law, no?

How have they picked a side? They haven't moved the all star game yet. Just threats.

and as far as Curry, he was very broad and describing discrimination overall.

“I knew I would be asked about my views on the situation in North Carolina and potential ramifications on next year’s All-Star Game in Charlotte, which I hope can be resolved,” Curry said. “While I don’t know enough about the North Carolina law to comment more fully, no one should be discriminated against.”

That's not taking a stance. And I'm not saying he personally should but if he doesn't come out against HB2, everyone who is for PJ cancelling should also pressure him to be against the law. and the band should be doing everything in their power to economically hurt the state including putting pressure on the NBA. Boycott all hornets games, even in Miami. They opened this door. Let's see if they want to follow through or if it was just a hollow gesture by PJ.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

^^^ This...^^^
    No kidding. The point is they are hypocrites and that PJ handled this bad as did Bruce.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited April 2016

ComeToTX said:

I'd like to hear it. I think those of us out hundreds should know why they waited so long.

This.

It's a noble cause which I support, and I admire the band's stance on it, just not the timing.

I also can't help but feel so many of the social justice warriors here wouldn't be so cavalier about lost travel expenses if it was them who lost out on a paycheck or two (or three).
    Don't mistake support for what the band is doing for being cavalier.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    JP Losman said:

If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.

This is like saying that Gandhi is a hypocrite for not protesting against Britain's colonies in Africa (no, I don't mean the the band is like Gandhi, lol).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    from the Raleigh Observer (where no mention of Pearl Jam's cancellation is to be seen)

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/editorials/article72741532.html
    A federal court has undermined the legality of North Carolina’s HB2 law and raised the prospect that continuing with it could cost the state billions of dollars in federal funds.

On Tuesday, a transgender teenager, Gavin Grimm, with his attorneys won 2-1 support from a three-judge U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals panel. The majority found that Grimm needs to be heard in court on his suit regarding the fact that he was wrongly banned from the boys bathroom in his rural Virginia high school.

Grimm’s suit had been dismissed by a lower court, but the appeals panel found that he had a valid complaint given the current federal interpretation of transgender students’ rights.

In January, the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights delivered an opinion that said in part, “When a school elects to separate or treat students differently on the basis of sex ... a school generally must treat transgender students consistent with their gender identity.”

That apparently convinced a Fourth Circuit majority that Grimm had a case. As reported by The News & Observer’s Anne Blythe, Judge Henry Floyd of the Fourth Circuit wrote that, “The Department’s interpretation resolves ambiguity by providing that in the case of a transgender individual using a sex-segregated facility, the individual’s sex as male or female is to be generally determined by reference to the student’s gender identity.”

This appellate case was first argued in January, but North Carolina’s Republican leaders recklessly did not wait on a ruling. They passed HB2, which overturned a Charlotte City Council decision to allow transgender individuals to use the bathroom of the gender with which they identify. Legislators also prohibited local governments from passing anti-discrimination laws of their own protecting transgender people and gay and lesbian people.

But now, the Fourth Circuit has thrown HB2 into a chaotic legal fight. And the decision might even affect federal funding, billions of dollars, if the state is found in violation of Title IX, the federal law that covers gender harassment and also discrimination.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

If they truly believe in this cause, they will cancel MSG and Philly shows. There is not much of an economic hit by cancelling one PJ show in Raleigh, but the NBA all star game is BIG business. MSG and Philly both also are partners with the NBA, so by cancelling those shows, they are putting pressure on the NBA to go through with moving the All star game instead of just threats. If PJ truly is committed to making a difference and wants a good conscience, then they should do that.

But they won't. Because they aren't really doing this for the cause but for their image. And its not a debate or an opinion that they are hypocrites. Its a fact. Because you play in cities and states and countries with bad laws too but don't boycott, it makes you a hypocrite. Because you aren't going full out and doing everything within your power to overturn HB2 which could be helped by things like cancelling MSG and Philly, you are a hypocrite.

Now you can say its not a big deal and they can choose their battles and I agree with that. Doesn't change the fact they are hypocrites.

This is like saying that Gandhi is a hypocrite for not protesting against Britain's control of Australia (no, I don't mean the the band is like Gandhi, lol).
    It is NOT hypocritical to pick a specific fight.
    I'm not sure boycotting something is "picking a fight." It's more tantamount to "taking your ball and going home." Boycotting a service that you need is a different story. For example, if the gas prices rose to such an astronomical price due not to the cost of gas, but to the greed of the oil industries, and people boycotted getting gas and began walking/riding bikes in protest.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    JP Losman said:

How have they picked a side? They haven't moved the all star game yet. Just threats.

There's a difference between picking a side and deciding how to move forward from there, but that seems like too much nuance on the day of a canceled show. ;-)
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    I've seen very little coverage of PJ canceling. Nothing like with Bruce and I saw more about Mumford deciding to play.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

This is like saying that Gandhi is a hypocrite for not protesting against Britain's colonies in Africa (no, I don't mean the the band is like Gandhi, lol).

Would you say Gandhi was a hypocrite for refusing to let his wife to get penicillin and dying and then taking it yourself when you are in need of it?

Its not the same thing. Its all related to HB2. I've already accepted that PJ doesn't thing racial discrimination and women's rights are worthy of the same effort and fight as this issue.
  • Options
    bookerTbookerT Posts: 32
    Bidding is now open for the Isle of Wight 2012 poster signed by the band to benefit NC Sustainable Energy Association and the Vitalogy Foundation. Bidding will close next Weds. CLICK HERE: www.ebay.com/itm/121962398003
  • Options
    perljamperljam Posts: 49
    I have a suggestion for those telling fellow fan club members " It's only money ". Pick out a random member who lost out on the NC show , and write them a check for all money lost. This way you feel all warm and fuzzy inside and everyone is happy. After all ....its only money , right ?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

JP Losman said:

This is like saying that Gandhi is a hypocrite for not protesting against Britain's control of Australia (no, I don't mean the the band is like Gandhi, lol).
    It is NOT hypocritical to pick a specific fight.
    I'm not sure boycotting something is "picking a fight." It's more tantamount to "taking your ball and going home." Boycotting a service that you need is a different story. For example, if the gas prices rose to such an astronomical price due not to the cost of gas, but to the greed of the oil industries, and people boycotted getting gas and began walking/riding bikes in protest.
    boy·cott/ˈboiˌkät/
    verb

withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest.

noun

a punitive ban that forbids relations with certain groups, cooperation with a policy, or the handling of goods.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

I've seen very little coverage of PJ canceling. Nothing like with Bruce and I saw more about Mumford deciding to play.

Just did a quick google search for news for "Pearl Jam Cancel". Most recent story (that appears) written about it was yesterday.

Again, I support opposing the law. This action by the band was silly, pointless, and didnt do right at all by the fans. Just looking through the Raleigh Observer today, this law was already getting a ton of press, and at least in Raleigh.... its overly negative towards the law.
  • Options
    So how many people are no longer fans because of this btw? Let's take a head count.
  • Options
    Im not sure. How many said that?
  • Options
    DR295987DR295987 Posts: 31
    sk8drchik said:

I have read SO many comments since yesterday and I see so many upset over this, rightfully so. QUESTION: How many of you actually feel so slighted with this that you will not renew your 10c membership, ask for ticket refunds to upcoming shows, etc? I would be in tears if I had tickets to this show and made travel plans. I'm not sure how I would handle it.

i'm doing all of the above and I have tics for both fenway shows....
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

from the Raleigh Observer (where no mention of Pearl Jam's cancellation is to be seen)

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article72453082.html
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    PJ_Soul said:

So how many people are no longer fans because of this btw? Let's take a head count.

Shockingly we can be fans and not agree with everything they do.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX said:

More than 775 articles so far, according to Google News...
  • Options
    jeffwalsh said:

MayDay10 said:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article72453082.html
    from the 18th...