Tampa show not so great. The base was too much it drowned out everything.

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,070
    was at London Canada i think 2013. greeaaat show, but the bass sounded f'ed up from our spot. every time Matt hit the bass drum it had a bad rattling sound. I think that was just by us. Still f..king rocked & was the only show that was like this. Loved the opener LONDON CALLING into Corduroy. Very thoughtful set!!!
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    Mike D88 said:

IF I WANTED TO BE NEGATIVE... I would have commented on how many old people were there.
    It was like 50 and over crowd, and that hearing EvenFlow being sung by 55 year olds in a band just seems weird and outdated, and doesn't really hold up like other classic rock groups catalogs.

That's Tampa for ya. Smarmy old fucks who just want to hear Jeremy.
    hahahahahaha
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    I personally had a blast last night! I rocked and danced as hard as I could to every song! I made sure that if by chance the band noticed my little section then for sure they noticed we were digging it. Great set list, no complaints from me. And as always Mccready was amazing :) All the boys were amazing! Don't be strangers Pearl Jam...visit Tampa Florida sooner than 8 years ;)
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,058
    There's always one
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,348
    The sound was not good in section 103. All echoey and muddled. It definitely has an impact on the crowd energy if they can't understand what they are hearing.

The sound sucked in 08 at the same place. I think it is just the building. It was frustrating but the band and set list was great. We still had lots of fun.

Will sound better I am sure at MSG and Fenway!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    Something else to consider: you lose hearing as you age, especially at the higher end of the spectrum. If you can't hear the treble, it may not be the mix. You're probably just getting old.

/ducks & runs off
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    But these and create your own mix:

https://www.hereplus.me
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,991
    I find earplugs allow me to hear way better during the show. And allow me to hear better after the show too :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562

IF I WANTED TO BE NEGATIVE... I would have commented on how many old people were there.
    It was like 50 and over crowd, and that hearing EvenFlow being sung by 55 year olds in a band just seems weird and outdated, and doesn't really hold up like other classic rock groups catalogs.
    And that the setlist theme was based off being a veteran. Proof -is Ed addressing the crowd about veterans in Tampa. But i will stick to the SOUND WAS HORRIBLE. Sure i can just get drunk and have no worries, but hey why not share an opinion? Maybe they will fix it for all you guys heading to the next shows?

Something's wrong when a fan is complaining about the age of Pearl Jam Fans!!! Or any fan of any band for that matter. Being a fan of live music knows no age limits, perhaps you'll figure that out when you get old.

• IF I WANTED TO BE NEGATIVE... I would have commented on how many old people were there.
    And that the setlist theme was based off being a veteran. Proof -is Ed addressing the crowd about veterans in Tampa. But i will stick to the SOUND WAS HORRIBLE. Sure i can just get drunk and have no worries, but hey why not share an opinion? Maybe they will fix it for all you guys heading to the next shows?

Oh shit. Now you've done it. Insulted the crowd's age AND the band members who are in their 50s. Sounds like you should get a Guns N Roses show, since PJ is just classic rock in your eyes and you wanna just get drunk.... haha...

Now what's this about the setlist being themed off being a veteran??? Was last night a concept concert???

Sucks about the sound. Almost all the PJ shows I've been to have had good sound AND it's not too loud unlike Foo Fighters and other bands. The sound at MSG was awful the two shows I saw there; too loud and overpowering.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Poor old folks...sucks getting to hear and see PJ from day one..all those great shows young people have to watch on you tube..
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I met Jeff The day after a show 10 years ago. He asked us about the sound. My wife walked away because she didn't want to tell him that sound Wasn't all that great. Some arenas are not built for good sound, they are built for sports.
  • It's not the arenas. Seriously, and it's not because we're old now! PJ normally have great sound (think how the boots have sounded the last few tours... Clear as crystal). I'm just interested in how they sound as the tour goes on.... And when the boots are released, I can't imagine they are going to sound that good.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    my2hands said:

You're going out of your way to post a thread just ro say you didn't like the Tampa show, and you don't even know In The Moonlight? I'm no catalog snob, but this is pretty weak

I echo this thought...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    They played my white whale (Sonic Reducer). If I had been at the show I would of probably forgotten all the shortcomings after they played that :)
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    Maybe the boot will sound better. Great songs...
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    The show was amazing and the boot is recorded to multitrack direct from the mics on the stage and mixed with the best sound technology they can damn near fix anything except for someone forgetting to actually record the damn thing. (I'm looking at you Mexico City tour before last)
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761

Haha . . . This is awesome. I'm 46 and occasionally make the same hilarious observation. Laughing at one's self is a healthy habit.

As for the Ed smashing stuff and cursing at people when he gets pissed off -- at the crowd, the techs, himself -- I'm growing weary of that. As someone who every single day gives my all in the classroom and gets practically nothing in return from the audience, I know the disappointment. But I don't go around throwing desk chairs and calling the school or my students fucked just because they don't cooperate with my version of perfection. It's totally unprofessional. He needs to learn how to work through the worst of situations without throwing such childish tantrums about things he can't control. I find it to be an embarrassing behavior for a 51 year old man.

Okay, unleash on me, people. I'm ready for it.
  • The show was amazing and the boot is recorded to multitrack direct from the mics on the stage and mixed with the best sound technology they can damn near fix anything except for someone forgetting to actually record the damn thing. (I'm looking at you Mexico City tour before last)

Sweet, well then they'll be perfect! I'll be buying them regardless- this tour is one for the ages.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    unfortunately, some venues have crappy systems and they do the best they can
  • pjrusspjruss Posts: 494
    I got attacked in setlist thread when I posted how subdued the crowd was (aside from GA) as show ended last night, so it's nice to see others noticed the same.

I am quite certain it was partly due to the sound quality in the arena.

I pointed out how visibly upset Ed was, and I think it was at both the lack of enthusiasm in the crowd, and certainly some of the issues the band was having with the sound. Yea, he destroyed his guitar after Betterman, but there were plenty of other examples. Such as him walking off (actually pretty much running off) before Blood was even over. And during Getaway he looked towards the sound booth side stage and shrugged his shoulders, kinda like "what's going on here?"

I'm sure everything will sound great on the boots though.

In no way do I view it as him throwing a temper-tantrum or "showing up" the crew. He understands that there are 15,000+ paying fans of theirs that may feel the concert wasn't up to their expectations. I know that at my job, I wouldn't be happy if I felt that perhaps 15,000 of my customers might not be fully satisfied. So he was naturally upset, as you or I would be.

Despite obvious sound issues, the band gave it their usual 110%. The setlist was great, and their energy was full on.

An "average" PJ concert is still better than a great show by just about anyone else!!

Can't wait for Jacksonville. I have a good feeling about this one....
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921

Haha . . . This is awesome. I'm 46 and occasionally make the same hilarious observation. Laughing at one's self is a healthy habit.

As for the Ed smashing stuff and cursing at people when he gets pissed off -- at the crowd, the techs, himself -- I'm growing weary of that. As someone who every single day gives my all in the classroom and gets practically nothing in return from the audience, I know the disappointment. But I don't go around throwing desk chairs and calling the school or my students fucked just because they don't cooperate with my version of perfection. It's totally unprofessional. He needs to learn how to work through the worst of situations without throwing such childish tantrums about things he can't control. I find it to be an embarrassing behavior for a 51 year old man.

Okay, unleash on me, people. I'm ready for it.
    Nothing to "unleash" except to just say a classroom of kids is a little different than a rock concert of fans and professionals.
    I'd sure hope you wouldn't flip desks about kids. You'd probably be the worst teacher ever.
    To get mad at a boring crowd when you're playing for hours giving it your all and also having equipment problems. I'd be mad to. These people are paying good money.
    Just a very weak comparison.
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855

Tampa show not so great. The base was too much it drowned out everything.

What a shame the crowd was begging to sing along and go on a journey, instead ed killed the momentum all night till the very very end.

I think he knew that he blew it tonight , and tried to make up for it.... I give the man credit he worked hard.

An opinion from one perspective ...... yours
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

I will be honest - the Fort Lauderdale and Miami show were awesome - but the sound was not - if, I am being honest.....

Since I was standing right next to you in Miami I can agree... thought the sound in Tampa was much better.

It's these multi-purpose venues that suck

edited April 2016

Seriously??? The Band Members are 50 year olds.. and you're surprised they have 50 year old fans?
    edit: should have let his urge for attention go, knowing others would pounce on it....haha
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    This thread is halarious. We have sound experts..age discrimination..negativity when we are not getting negative..closet catalog snobs..teachers who hate their kids ;)..venue experts..I'm I missing anything???
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • lol
  • 2008 in the same area in tampa fl...the sound was flawless

must be new sound guy or equipment, or maybe they changed it up.

The band still worked their asses off, and i appreciated that so much.

See you all tonight in j-ville
  • Wma31394 said:

This thread is halarious. We have sound experts..age discrimination..negativity when we are not getting negative..closet catalog snobs..teachers who hate their kids ;)..venue experts..I'm I missing anything???

i think you forgot the shark... jumping.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    I must be really drinking the kool aid because Tampa was anything but an average show in my eyes. I brought someone to their first PJ show and they are now hooked too. Another friend who had only previously seen them at ACL said that their solo shows "are on a whole other level and can't be matched".
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17