Reserved Seating has jumped the shark

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    PJNB said:

You think there are 100 spots on the rail?

No, I think the space that two rows of seats takes up can be filled with the double the number of people without the seats there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    PJ_Soul said:

PJNB said:

No, I think the space that two rows of seats takes up can be filled with the double the number of people without the seats there.
    no way! if there's 50 seats across then maybe 70 across in ga? so with 10% of the venue being 10c tickets (20,000 at msg = 2000 10c tickets) you have a 5% chance of being in the first two rows with reserved seating (100 seats) as opposed to 7% with GA (140 squished in people. number can obviously flucatate).
    with me it's 0% with GA because I'm not lining up for 28 hours lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Lining up early was for the days where your place in line determined 'the best of your block'. I experimented with that back when I didn't have any responsibilities and ended up front row at two shows. I also met some really freaky fans in those days. Like stalk-ary freaky.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Never bothered with trying to get up front. Don't need to. Perfectly happy at the back.

Ironically, last night at a concert I was seated behind an especially tall gentleman (6'4+) and there was nothing i could do about it. Couldn't move seats, couldn't stand on the seat, just stuck behind one tall dude while the dude next to me kept nearly elbowing me in the face. If it were GA, I could've moved, but as it wasn't, nothing really to be done aside from leaning back on the seat.

I get why people prefer res seats. I don't get why anyone swears that the only way to do GA is by waiting on a line all day or out that everyone has to try to get up front.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJNB said:

no way! if there's 50 seats across then maybe 70 across in ga? so with 10% of the venue being 10c tickets (20,000 at msg = 2000 10c tickets) you have a 5% chance of being in the first two rows with reserved seating (100 seats) as opposed to 7% with GA (140 squished in people. number can obviously flucatate).
    with me it's 0% with GA because I'm not lining up for 28 hours lol.
    But I`m talking about the whole space that 2 rows of seats take up. Not just how many people can lean on the rail.... I think for sure you can fit double the number of people in that space. Easy. So we`re talking how many people fit 3 deep in GA. That is definitely at least double how many fit in 2 rows of chairs IMO. I think the fact that so many more people fit in the entire pit compared to how many fit that space with seats is one of the major factors behind PJ going back to GA and saying they are sticking with it. More people = more $$$.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    GA is fantastic. I think I showed up 2 hours before doors opened and still wound up 4 people back on Mike's side. Gotta be a real whiner to dislike that.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 657
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Get rid of ga. Problem solved.

No.
    Yes
    Yes x 2. GA in Miami was a shit show
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    Why what happened?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    How was it a shit show? I loved every second of both FLL and Miami in GA.
    NYPJ
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    wall232 said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    Not enough beer vendors and the ones that were there only had crap beer.
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    JTH said:

wall232 said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    I could agree with this, but it was nice having them sell beer in GA and not have to leave the area. I've only had that happen to me in Mexico City. It was shitty beer but as the show went on it tasted better.
    NYPJ
    edited April 2016
    JTH said:

wall232 said:

jdopj said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    Beer vendors in GA?? You should just be glad that's a thing where you are. There is no such thing as that where I live. In fact, in BC they shut down liquor sales as soon as the main act hits the stage. It's ridiculous. By the end of the PJ show everyone is just hungover.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited April 2016
    JTH said:

Again? Try these guys: ;)=)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,972
    This thread got off on the wrong foot with the often misused jump the shark reference. Jumping the shark is typically when some stunt is pulled in an attempted to gain attention, in this case, Fonzie jumping the shark in an attempt to gain viewers for a show circling the drain. Getting tickets you don't like may be disappointing, but the only similarity there is the disappointment you feel after your show has 'jumped the shark'. Much like you probably felt after Cousin Oliver was introduced on the Brady Bunch:
  • ^^^ thank you! the clarification this thread has long needed... no shit.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,688
    So just to be clear....

No sharks were jumped in the making of this thread?
  • So just to be clear....

No sharks were jumped in the making of this thread?

exactly
    So out of curiosity...

How were the 10C seats at the other Florida shows?
    GA in Miami was very crowded compared to the other GA I have had. Before I moved, there were a lot of rude people, not respecting others, screaming in our ears. Got out of there.

My seats in Miami were 12 rows further back than FLL. (I traded with someone for GA)
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    edited April 2016

This thread got off on the wrong foot with the often misused jump the shark reference. Jumping the shark is typically when some stunt is pulled in an attempted to gain attention, in this case, Fonzie jumping the shark in an attempt to gain viewers for a show circling the drain. Getting tickets you don't like may be disappointing, but the only similarity there is the disappointment you feel after your show has 'jumped the shark'. Much like you probably felt after Cousin Oliver was introduced on the Brady

Hah! I've seen this a few times in this thread...that is, the "clever" people who think I misused "jump the shark", I disagree! Look at the definition of the phrase, it might not be exactly on point or where you are used to seeing it, but it's close. And admittedly (and hopefully) Miami was a rare exception. And really, was just trying to create some buzz, which worked!

Point is, the 10C is not getting "some of the best seats in the house" as advertised, at certain shows, Miami proved that. Again, I don't blame the 10C for the inability to get those seats, just the lack of communication that, in fact, they can't at certain shows (I'm aware of some great points made in this thread that maybe the 10C doesn't know that they are locked out in advance of 10C onsale, frankly I think that's unlikely).

Nonetheless, this thread ended up being pretty informative so far, appreciate the many great/informative comments amongst the nonsense. Curious to see how the reserved seats are rest of the tour.

Urban Dictionary: "Jump the Shark"- The precise moment when you know a program, band, actor, politician, or other public figure has taken a turn for the worse, gone downhill, become irreversibly bad, is unredeemable, etc.; the moment you realize decay has set in.
    Post edited by Taft on
  • i like your resolve... quitters never win.

• OatsdadOatsdad Posts: 72

I'd like to hear from the low club members that attended the show ..

I'm 80XXX and was in the lower level section closest to the stage on Stone's side - 14th row, IIRC.

Not what I was used to under 'the old rules' but way better than mid-arena on the floor...
    Oatsdad said:

I'd like to hear from the low club members that attended the show ..

I'm 80XXX and was in the lower level section closest to the stage on Stone's side - 14th row, IIRC.

Not what I was used to under 'the old rules' but way better than mid-arena on the floor...
    93xxx
    FLL 1st Section Row 4
    Mia. 1st Section Row 16
  • 452xxx Fll 121 row 25. Mike's side. Right around where the blue line would be in a hockey arena
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    75494, 1st section Stones' side (sect 129) row 5 (row F) at Tampa. Wonderful view.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • mikesbrimikesbri Posts: 965
    254xxx
    Fll sec 134 row 25
    Mia sec 107 row 29
    Both Stone side.
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,052
    I know that this thread has more to do with the 10 Club not disclosing their inability to secure the best seats in a particular venue prior to their presale. However, even if they did, I would still buy tickets through them.

The 10 Club has been very good to me. For Jacksonville, my wife and I had front row, lower bowl, Mike's side about halfway down the floor. These are exactly the seats I would have chosen if I could pick any pair in the venue.

Jax wasn't a high demand show like Miami was so even getting reserved seats at all for Miami is a pretty big deal.

Hell, I'm still excited about my luck with the Mystery Vinyl sale last year.

I got to see PJ in East Lansing in '98, Detroit in '00, Grand Rapids and Denver (with Tom Petty) in '06, The Vic in Chicago in '07, Cleveland in '10, both nights at Alpine Valley in '11, Oklahoma City in '13 and Jacksonville on Wednesday. I never had bad seats and was never disappointed in the band. Most of those were 10 Club tickets bought by myself or friends in the 10C.

My biggest problem with PJ is the sense of entitlement that some of the fans seem to have. The Vic crowd was the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked. Still, we had a great time and the band totally delivered.

So, I can't agree that 10 Club reserved seating has "jumped the shark".
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,858
    You pays your money and takes yer chances, same as it ever was.
    Almost always do better with 10C than TM.
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    In Lexington, I counted the actual heads of the people actually touching the rail, people that had their hands on it. Approx 40. For every two heads there is one head space between them so there is another 40 people. So approx 80-90 people, 1st two rows of the rail. Little hard to count the farther away so I rounded up. Then, as one looks across the pit, you can see natural "rows" formed by human heads and there was approx 21 rows. This doesn't count the people shuffling around behind the main body of the GA pit, and one must consider that the pit kind of widens as it goes further back from the rail. Maybe 1000 people in Lexington GA? I really don't deal with counting people, so had no real idea without taking a h head count.

When they had the GA sect seated, there was a significant space from the first row to the rail, I would say at least two or three people deep could fit from the rail to the 1st row of seats. Everyone that had front row seats back then would always stand and fo to the rail. There was plenty of room for one row behind them (standing) and then the row where the seats began.

For what it's worth if that helps anyone.

Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016