Reserved Seating has jumped the shark

Comments

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    edited April 2016
    I think it depends how big GA is. I'm in the third row behind GA for MSG. I feel like I'm going to be happy with that seat, if slightly distracted/jealous of the empty space in the back of the GA section.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    JTH said:

...if given to choice to be on the floor in the first row behind GA or in the upper deck but in the first row on the railing, I'd take the latter.

I prefer the former.

Diff'rent strokes to move the world and all that.
    Well I should clarify and note that I mean upper deck, but in the middle of the arena...not way in the back. But as for being on the floor, I've been on the floor way too many times. I'd rather be farther away but have some elevation than being on the floor with my view obstructed by tall people (or people my same height for that matter).
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238

Well I should clarify and note that I mean upper deck, but in the middle of the arena...not way in the back. But as for being on the floor, I've been on the floor way too many times. I'd rather be farther away but have some elevation than being on the floor with my view obstructed by tall people (or people my same height for that matter).

I knew what you meant.

And I've had seats in both spots and I would take the front row of reserved/floor over front row of upper bowl pretty much every time. (Maybe upper level would be better in a smaller arena like the places they played in Moline and London, Ontario, though.)
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    edited April 2016
    I feel a little bad for the OP. I know when I've gotten reserved seating in the past, my brain tries to figure out where the seats are going to be. It does sting a little when the tickets are a lot worse than even your worst expectations. It's one thing when you get low quality tickets from TM months before the show. Your brain has months to deal with that info, and by the time you get to the show it's all good. With 10c you pick up the tickets just before the show. It has the drawback of sometimes leaving out a little dissappointed heading into a show.

I don't agree with with the "it's good enough to just be in the arena". I've never been that guy. I go to loads of concerts from all sorts of bands, and being up front (and having good tickets) makes a kickass show that much more kickass.

As for the 10c. Probably not their fault. From time to time this happens, and the venue doesn't cough up the best seats. Whether or not they know this before they do the lottery we don't know. I agree if the 10c does know, it'd be cool if they informed people, so it would give you the opportunity to try ticketmaster instead. I'm not convinced the 10c knows much more than how many seats they get access to before the onsale starts.

To be fair it's amazing the 10c has kept the "best tickets" in the arena thing going as well as it has. Most other fan clubs aren't nearly as successful and have their seats scattered all over the arena.

Post edited by Zod on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,898
    Sounds like the solution is to make sure your seat fantasies before the show put you at the back of the first level, and you grumble and whine about those fucking seasons ticket holders and those venue corporate shills, and then your chances of being pleasantly surprised when you get there go way up. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:

Sounds like the solution is to make sure your seat fantasies before the show put you at the back of the first level, and you grumble and whine about those fucking seasons ticket holders and those venue corporate shills, and then your chances of being pleasantly surprised when you get there go way up. =)

So what you're suggesting, is hope for the worst so that you'll be pleasantly surprised later? I like your kind of thinking Soul! A primer for life if I may.... ; )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    I think the 10C should under promise and over deliver
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404
    Get rid of ga. Problem solved.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

No.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

No.
    Yes
    I like GA. I've been in the 10c since '97/'98ish. I feel I have a much better chance at being closer due to GA than I ever did based on my seniority. I was mostly getting between rows 14-20 on the floor (generally getting further back with very tour).

My opinion is completely biased. I've entered four lotteries (well 3 and my wife entered 1). GA Vancouver 2013, Complete shutout on Seattle 2013, Wrigley 1 GA, and Wrigley 2 GA (wife's). I never been in reserved since the GA pit. I do know my Seattle tickets really sucked when I missed that lottery. I have no idea where I would of been sitting had I won reserved (where it was it would of been better than my TM tickets).

I like the GA thing. At least I know I get to be up close from time to time. The seniority thing... I have a decent amount of seniority but my seats weren't getting closer. GA is awesome (if you win it). I guess it's a gamble. If you get GA it works for you. The cost is you reserved tickets will be 10 to 20 rows further back. Are you willing to gamble for a shot at being closer at the expense of being further away. I guess I am.
  • andrew68andrew68 Posts: 1,805
    foodboy said:

sometimes it happens. just like in 03 dte energy center michigan. most seats there had a psl leaving 10 c with very few quality seats. maybe that was the case in miami.

exactly correct, it's the PSL seats...especially the bigger market venues...it was obvious in MIA
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, no. Ive been a fan of the band since '93 and started following their tours in '03 when i was old enough to be able to afford it. Finally joined the ten club in '06. Living in the northeast Ive generally scored nothing but shit through ten club with the exception of winning the front row lottery on one occasion. This new system rewards everyone. There are young, passionate fans out there who haven't been alive long enough to obtain good reserved seats for most of these shows. The ga system gives them the oppurtunity to see the band up close...front row even if they're committed enough.
    Either way, the band has already said they aren't getting rid of it. So there you go.
  • pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 Posts: 653
    They would not/ should not get rid of GA. I like the idea that whoever gets there first, gets to be in the front. I would always be in the back if it were all seats... it's not my fault I wasn't born until 1995!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I'm 280,xxx. I've never really had good seats to any show...ever. Best I ever got was GA (once)...and that's about 15 shows through 10c. I've had back row of the floor, mid floor, second level many times, really crappy PJ20 seats...it goes on and on.
    That said, the 10c has gotten me in the doors of some shows that were really hard to get tickets to so I can't complain that much. Still had fun no matter where I was.

As others have said, I think PJ/10c gets x-amount of seats allotted to them. Now with the lottery and big GA sections, you shouldn't expect great things from reserve seats. Just be happy you got in!

I have reserve for both Wrigley shows. Wanted GA, but went with the better odds. Was by second base at the last Wrigley show so I had to watch the monitors most of the night. Expect similar results this time...and I still don't care much....gonna be fun!!!
  • whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited April 2016
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,653
    Taft said:

Really average seats given out by Ten Club tonight in Miami. People from around the country with numbers from 8,xxx-45,xxx flew in to get seated in middle rows in the middle of arena.

I would have just done the public onsale or Stub Hub if I knew they could not get good seats at American Airlines. Poor form Ten Club. These are not the best seats in the house as advertised.

Last night the seats were great, but is it going to be a coin flip this tour? If so we need a warning.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, no. Ive been a fan of the band since '93 and started following their tours in '03 when i was old enough to be able to afford it. Finally joined the ten club in '06. Living in the northeast Ive generally scored nothing but shit through ten club with the exception of winning the front row lottery on one occasion. This new system rewards everyone. There are young, passionate fans out there who haven't been alive long enough to obtain good reserved seats for most of these shows. The ga system gives them the oppurtunity to see the band up close...front row even if they're committed enough.
    those young passionate fans have the same exact chance of being in the front two rows as anyone else under the old system. fenway should be fun.
    mcgruff10 said:

Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

those young passionate fans have the same exact chance of being in the front two rows as anyone else under the old system. fenway should be fun.
    lol... the odds were slim in winning that lottery. About 50 seats in a row. 10c probably gets around 2000 tickets (TM seems to try and keep it to around 10% for a venue. 100/2000 = 5% chance of rows 1/2 and 5% for rows 9/10. All the row lottery every did was make me sit four rows further back :)
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Getting rid of GA is the worst idea I've read in awhile. I have claustrophobic tendencies and hate being pinned into a seated area for any stretch of time, never mind 3 hours. GA gives me freedom to move. I wander all over and see the show from every angle because I can't stand being in the same spot all night.
    Zod said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

lol... the odds were slim in winning that lottery. About 50 seats in a row. 10c probably gets around 2000 tickets (TM seems to try and keep it to around 10% for a venue. 100/2000 = 5% chance of rows 1/2 and 5% for rows 9/10. All the row lottery every did was make me sit four rows further back :)
    odds of getting the first two rows in ga are probably just about the same.
  • athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 158
    I am sure this is logistically impossible, but I would love if they kept GA, but had two rows in front of that. These two rows are as they use to be, with the seats being distributed by lottery to those holding reserved seats. Those who aren't able to win the GA through lottery and end up with Reserved seats still have a chance/the hope of being close. Just a thought.
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    I love GA and hope they never get rid of it. wish Fenway had it too.
    NYPJ
    edited April 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

No they don't, and the chances are far lower with that seat lottery, because way, way fewer people fit up there without GA.
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

No they don't, and the chances are far lower with that seat lottery, because way, way fewer people fit up there without GA.
    50 seats in a seated row as compared to how many in a ga "row"? it really isn't that much less.
    edited April 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Lifted said:

mcgruff10 said:

50 seats in a seated row as compared to how many in a ga "row"? it really isn't that much less.
    I think it's probably double at least, so I'd say it's a lot less.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    edited April 2016

You think there are 100 spots on the rail?
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I considered going south for 1) A better chance at winning the ticket lottery and 2) to get a great seat with my 10 Club number.

Instead I took a gamble ( since I'm not a millionaire :wink: ) and was waiting for a PJ25 announcement that obviously isn't coming.

If I went I wouldn't be happy being in the middle of the arena...that's my "normal" seat here in the Northeast with a 172xxx...so I get it. I would expect a better seat. My best was a way side row 8 in VA and a center 16th row in Toronto 2005. My seats have gotten "worse" as time goes on. The total opposite of what you would expect. I'm hoping for something good in Philly and Fenway. My second night is in the rafters at Philly but I'm fricken stoked I even got in.
    All that stated I always have hope of a great seat and I will never give up my 10 club membership for anything.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!