Options

Pearl Jam 2016 tour merch

Comments

• Options
    At 8:39 the wrap-around lines are completely full. There are 9 lines with about 25-35 per line. I am guessing around 300 people.
    1993 - OKC, OK
    2003 - OKC, OK
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    Wow, good luck to you guys in line. I broke down and about my poster on ebay. Paid 114. You guys are right about waiting/wasting time.
    Just buy the damn thing on ebay. I always thought if you put time and effort in you will get rewarded. Times have changed.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    swampfunk said:

At 8:39 the wrap-around lines are completely full. There are 9 lines with about 25-35 per line. I am guessing around 300 people.

So there are 9 separate lines? Sounds like that should go pretty smooth if they have enough people working...
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403

DP13 said:

pjhawks said:

put me in the 'i don't get it' camp.

The "get it" part is 90% of them are flippers.

They are not wealthy but they finance their Pearl Jam trips by flipping merch to the people not willing to wait in line for 7 hours.

They have "no choice" but to wait.

...which totally works for me!

No way I'll go wait 6 hours in a line for a poster or shirt. But if some noob wants to do it for me and then sell me said shirt with a 40% markup, whatever. Time equals money.

Yup. No one can wait for things anymore. I waited 3 weeks after the Miami show and picked up the Sperry poster for $90 shipped.

Did I pay more than cost; yes. Did I get to spend a day on the beach in Miami and eat some awesome Cuban and Haitian food, yes. Worth spending the extra $55, totally!
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    ldent42 said:

Theres two disadvantages to going in at doors and hitting the merch stand: 1) they're predicting rain for Saturday (or they were a few days ago) and 2) once you are in the venue, you are stuck in there, with severely overpriced food & beverages, plus the merch that you now have to protect throughout the whole show. I think this was the advantage of the outdoor trailers, you could buy what you want early, drop it off at home/hotel/car and enjoy the rest of the day without having to worry about getting into the venue when doors open.

Bring a plastic bag with you. Put all of your goodies in the plastic bag. Easy to carry, and protection from the rain.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,866

DP13 said:

pjhawks said:

They are not wealthy but they finance their Pearl Jam trips by flipping merch to the people not willing to wait in line for 7 hours.

No way I'll go wait 6 hours in a line for a poster or shirt. But if some noob wants to do it for me and then sell me said shirt with a 40% markup, whatever. Time equals money.

Yup. No one can wait for things anymore. I waited 3 weeks after the Miami show and picked up the Sperry poster for $90 shipped.

Did I pay more than cost; yes. Did I get to spend a day on the beach in Miami and eat some awesome Cuban and Haitian food, yes. Worth spending the extra $55, totally!
    Exactly. How is this any different from the people that offer to pay money to have others stand in line for them and pay for their merchandise as well? When its all said and done you technically paid a mark up. Unless its just principal that you don't want to give your money to a "flipper"
  • Options
    It's 9 rows that wrap like a snake. Sorry for the confusion.
    1993 - OKC, OK
    2003 - OKC, OK
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    swampfunk said:

It's 9 rows that wrap like a snake. Sorry for the confusion.

Ahh gotcha. It's a huge tent, right?
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    edited August 2016
    Ray J. T. said:

DP13 said:

pjhawks said:

Exactly. How is this any different from the people that offer to pay money to have others stand in line for them and pay for their merchandise as well? When its all said and done you technically paid a mark up. Unless its just principal that you don't want to give your money to a "flipper"
    It's one thing to pay a little more to buy from someone who wants to sell it for whatever reason, but buying posters specifically to sell and make a profit off fellow fans just feels like a dick move. I don't know. I feel like if you and I are big PJ fans, I have a poster that I'm willing to part with, and you really want, I just don't feel right gouging you.

If I had been able to be in Boston before the Friday show and could have picked up a Thomas for someone, all I would have asked for in return was the cost of the Thomas and that of another poster.
    Post edited by mpedone on
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696

DP13 said:

pjhawks said:

Awesome! I'm sure the day at the beach was great! Plus the food!

Kick ass! Money better spent!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    What'd you do on vacation in Chicago?

Vacation? It wasn't a vacation. I spent a work day in line to get paper and clothing..

Oh. Well, at least you got essentials. Your kids will be ready for school.

What the hell are you talking about? The paper has pretty pictures and the shirts are PEARL JAM shirts. They are only for SPECIAL occasions like other Pearl Jam Concerts.

What? You're exaggerating. A work day is like 9 hours.

Well, I didn't spend that long. So, I guess I did exaggerate.

Whew.

It was only 7 hours.

WTF?

What else did you do?

Well, I did see a few hours of music. It was awesome.

Obviously, you went there for a concert. I meant what did you do in Chicago?

I told you - I got paper and clothing......
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    It's a huge white tent. We are guessing 70 foot long.
    1993 - OKC, OK
    2003 - OKC, OK
  • Options
    swampfunk said:

It's a huge white tent. We are guessing 70 foot long.

Praying by time I get there around 11:30-12 it is a largely diminished line. One can hope, right?
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago)

• Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Looking for some advice from the merch experts. If I get to Wrigley today around noonish, do you think there will still be some posters left? Thanks.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,866
    MP59559 said:

Ray J. T. said:

DP13 said:

pjhawks said:

It's one thing to pay a little more to buy from someone who wants to sell it for whatever reason, but buying posters specifically to sell and make a profit off fellow fans just feels like a dick move. I don't know. I feel like if you and I are big PJ fans, I have a poster that I'm willing to part with, and you really want, I just don't feel right gouging you.

If I had been able to be in Boston before the Friday show and could have picked up a Thomas for someone, all I would have asked for in return was the cost of the Thomas and that of another poster.
    I agree, but at the end of the day people are talking about paying a mark up. Now how much of a mark up you are willing to pay is entirely up to you. How much do you feel your time is worth. But yes the right thing to do is not be a dick, and sell the poster or whatever other said item at a reasonable price or trade. Unfortunately there are a ton of assholes out there that just rack up a major bill and walk away with half the inventory just to make a profit.
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    Jesus, leave the people who want to wait in line alone. Some of you are the most judgemental fucks I've ever seen. Just continue to sit there on your ass and make fun of them. Sounds about right for here now days.
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Once the tent opens up today and people go through the line, could someone report back how many employees they have working today checking people out? Hopefully with a larger tent and more staff the line will move much faster than yesterday. I'm trying to get down there by 2 or 3 o'clock today, just hope they haven't run out of everything by then.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    PJM3333PJM3333 Chicago Posts: 291
    I said screw it and purchased the Taylor for $100 on eBay. It was my favorite, and now I have it. Now I get to go pick up my tix, hang out in Wrigleyville, get some good food and drink, and not have to worry about waiting in line.
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options

Jesus, leave the people who want to wait in line alone. Some of you are the most judgemental fucks I've ever seen. Just continue to sit there on your ass and make fun of them. Sounds about right for here now days.

Eh. Leave those of us making fun of people waiting on line alone. We're just amusing ourselves. We've all been on both sides of this. Everyone can do what they want. Wait on line, make fun, sit on their ass. Nobody's harming anyone.

But, sometimes there is truth in peer pressure (As long as it's not taken too far).
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    PJM3333 said:

I said screw it and purchased the Taylor for $100 on eBay. It was my favorite, and now I have it. Now I get to go pick up my tix, hang out in Wrigleyville, get some good food and drink, and not have to worry about waiting in line.

Bingo!

And now you don't have to drag that poster around in a stupid bag all night, do ya'?!

Smart move PJM3333!!!
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

Agreed. Stop judging the dedicated merch junkies (takes one to know one or many). We've all been there. Good luck Truck!!
    Oh, by the way... Can you pick me up one of every poster please??? Not getting in to Chicago til midnight or after and my wife will hide my wallet if she hears I'm gonna wait for any merch line... :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,801
    Please don't forget these will go on sale on this site eventually. Panic After you miss them here. Then go waste money on eBay.
  • Options
    Bingo!

And now you don't have to drag that poster around in a stupid bag all night, do ya'?!

Smart move PJM3333!!!

No sir, I do not!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    PJM3333 said:

Bingo!

Smart move PJM3333!!!

No sir, I do not!

Yes now you can have a beer in BOTH hands!
  • Options

PJM3333 said:

Bingo!

Smart move PJM3333!!!

No sir, I do not!

Maybe just 1! I need to control the bladder at this show! Almost missed Army Reserve in Lexington because of it!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
  • Options
    I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Milwaukee Posts: 3,508
    PP193448 said:

Agreed. Stop judging the dedicated merch junkies (takes one to know one or many). We've all been there. Good luck Truck!!
    Oh, by the way... Can you pick me up one of every poster please??? Not getting in to Chicago til midnight or after and my wife will hide my wallet if she hears I'm gonna wait for any merch line... :lol:
    My line days ended after 2013. I choose to hang out now with people I can't see too often. But I won't make fun of people who want to. Also, yes a lot of you are making fun of them. So just keep your "We're not" comments to yourself.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    PP193448 said:

Amen(t).
  • Options

PJM3333 said:

Bingo!

Smart move PJM3333!!!

No sir, I do not!

exactly!
    - Chicago G

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    my 2 favorite quotes:
    1. to each his own
    2. we're all better off when we're all better off