Comments

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

Before this thread gets locked I thought that I would point out that today you call the protesters "liberal extremists" but 240 years ago they were called colonial revolutionaries.

Where would we be today without those colonial revolutionaries??

These protestors are not the equivalent of the colonial revolutionaries. The colonial revolutionaries were against big government...these protestors want more government.
    No, they weren't against big government. Don't try to use today's nomenclature or talking points. Nor were they liberals in the sense that we use that term today. They were white wealthy land owners striving to become wealthier by throwing off the yoke of the crown.

No splinter group today gets to claim them as their own. And they probably shouldn't want to. It's not as if they were infallible.
    The crown was big government...taxing and making laws from across the ocean. The landowners were white and wealthy but they wanted self rule all the same. It's sort of outlined in the declaration of independence and the constitution if you need some source material.
    You are using your political lens of today. The Constitution limits the FEDERAL government. Specifically the 10th Amendment grants all powers not specifically enumerated in the first 9 Amendments, to the states. It does not limit the states or the local governments what they can and cannot do, so long as they don't violate the Bill of Rights. That is not the same as libertarianism or even classic liberalism.

And thanks for the sarcastic sentence at the end.
    Yes...the constitution limits the federal government...that is my point. For Bentleyspop to compare today's protestors to the colonial revolutionaries makes no sense. Today's protestors (other then the Tea Party) are generally for a larger more unlimited/unrestrained federal government.
    Right, but the Constitution does not limit state gov't, with the exception of the Bill of Rights. It can be as large and intrusive as it wants to be. And my point was that the Founders were not classical liberals (although they had some Locke influence, obviously). I agreed that the protesters don't represent the Founding Fathers. But I'm also arguing that they were not against big gov't, only big federal gov't which is not the same. I'm saying both of you were wrong (although you, based on a much more narrow basis).
    My Trump ears can't take anymore of this.
    Speak to the topic or take the college debate elsewhere.
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

Before this thread gets locked I thought that I would point out that today you call the protesters "liberal extremists" but 240 years ago they were called colonial revolutionaries.

These protestors are not the equivalent of the colonial revolutionaries. The colonial revolutionaries were against big government...these protestors want more government.
    No, they weren't against big government. Don't try to use today's nomenclature or talking points. Nor were they liberals in the sense that we use that term today. They were white wealthy land owners striving to become wealthier by throwing off the yoke of the crown.

No splinter group today gets to claim them as their own. And they probably shouldn't want to. It's not as if they were infallible.
    The crown was big government...taxing and making laws from across the ocean. The landowners were white and wealthy but they wanted self rule all the same. It's sort of outlined in the declaration of independence and the constitution if you need some source material.
    You are using your political lens of today. The Constitution limits the FEDERAL government. Specifically the 10th Amendment grants all powers not specifically enumerated in the first 9 Amendments, to the states. It does not limit the states or the local governments what they can and cannot do, so long as they don't violate the Bill of Rights. That is not the same as libertarianism or even classic liberalism.

Yes...the constitution limits the federal government...that is my point. For Bentleyspop to compare today's protestors to the colonial revolutionaries makes no sense. Today's protestors (other then the Tea Party) are generally for a larger more unlimited/unrestrained federal government.
    Right, but the Constitution does not limit state gov't, with the exception of the Bill of Rights. It can be as large and intrusive as it wants to be. And my point was that the Founders were not classical liberals (although they had some Locke influence, obviously). I agreed that the protesters don't represent the Founding Fathers. But I'm also arguing that they were not against big gov't, only big federal gov't which is not the same. I'm saying both of you were wrong (although you, based on a much more narrow basis).
    Ha...that is extremely narrow! Of course the state could be "as large and intrusive as it wants" but in theory it will be closer and more responsible to the people as they will have more direct participation in local matters.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,679
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

Ha...that is extremely narrow! Of course the state could be "as large and intrusive as it wants" but in theory it will be closer and more responsible to the people as they will have more direct participation in local matters.
    In theory.. but then you have what is affectionately known as "The People's Republic of California", considered intrusive on financial issues. Or states like GA and TX who are notoriously intrusive on social issues. So there are states that defy have the big gov't label.
  • Options
    But what does bother me is when any small group tries to claim the Founders as their own, as the inheritors of that legacy. That starts with the Tea Party but includes every other special interest group.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

In theory.. but then you have what is affectionately known as "The People's Republic of California", considered intrusive on financial issues. Or states like GA and TX who are notoriously intrusive on social issues. So there are states that defy have the big gov't label.
    That is correct but should a person in any state reach a point of alienation he or she has the ability to vote with his or her feet and move to a state that is most suitable to his or her needs. A large federal government cannot easily be escaped by anybody.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

That is correct but should a person in any state reach a point of alienation he or she has the ability to vote with his or her feet and move to a state that is most suitable to his or her needs. A large federal government cannot easily be escaped by anybody.
    That is true although I am not sure that was part of the original calculus.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

But what does bother me is when any small group tries to claim the Founders as their own, as the inheritors of that legacy. That starts with the Tea Party but includes every other special interest group.

Fair enough...you don't like it when people get compared to Founders and I don't like it when people get compared to Hitler.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

That is true although I am not sure that was part of the original calculus.
    Totally part of my calculus but I just didn't expect that we would get this far down the rabbit hole.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Fair enough...you don't like it when people get compared to Founders and I don't like it when people get compared to Hitler.
    That's not me. I said Trump is not half as politically skilled as Hitler.

Adolph also served. Had a vision. Had a set of principles. Trump meets none of these. Although he probably isn't a genocidal maniac. So yeah. They aren't the same.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Adolph also served. Had a vision. Had a set of principles. Trump meets none of these. Although he probably isn't a genocidal maniac. So yeah. They aren't the same.

Not half as politically skilled?! Hitler had to use brownshirts and a reichstag fire to reach power. Trump is only using twitter!
  • Options
    You americans are funny to listen to.
    Hitler? Really?
    Trump is not nor will he become that.
    Your country brought this fiasco yourself. All your reality tv shows, etc. Turn on any channel and it is fraught with your reality.
    Laughable at best.
    Trump has had enough of Jersey Shore!
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

Not half as politically skilled?! Hitler had to use brownshirts and a reichstag fire to reach power. Trump is only using twitter!
    In the Weimar Republic, the Nazis had to buy their own damn newspaper to get a message out. Twitter is way easier and reaches far more people. And watch a Hitler speech.. you can tell he has something to say up there even if you don't speak German. Trump just sort of rambles on with observations most of the time. I'm sticking with this one. Trump is definitely no Hitler on the political skill side.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

BS44325 said:

mrussel1 said:

In the Weimar Republic, the Nazis had to buy their own damn newspaper to get a message out. Twitter is way easier and reaches far more people. And watch a Hitler speech.. you can tell he has something to say up there even if you don't speak German. Trump just sort of rambles on with observations most of the time. I'm sticking with this one. Trump is definitely no Hitler on the political skill side.
    Yeah...I was just making a joke with the Twitter thing.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

Hmmmm.

I propose we have one or two days a year when we can tell it like it is. Kind of like the movie, The Purge. It's really hard to read some comments and not just f**king obliterate the gnat that wrote them sometimes.

I'm not quite ready to give up on this forum... but I'm approaching my expiration date. I'm just not fantastic at taking the higher road.

Have a nice evening. Go Zags.

I love that Movie, what a concept…

Fucking awesome Win by your Zags tonight!!! What a great team Win. They completed a 6 play parlay for a cool 750 for me tonight…Sabonis was a monster tonight
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited March 2016

Hmmmm.

I propose we have one or two days a year when we can tell it like it is. Kind of like the movie, The Purge. It's really hard to read some comments and not just f**king obliterate the gnat that wrote them sometimes.

I'm not quite ready to give up on this forum... but I'm approaching my expiration date. I'm just not fantastic at taking the higher road.

Where do I sign up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=welqyAKtmeE
  • Options
    muskydan said:

Hmmmm.

Fucking awesome Win by your Zags tonight!!! What a great team Win. They completed a 6 play parlay for a cool 750 for me tonight…Sabonis was a monster tonight
    We're 2 for 2 in the good books here, Musky.

Nice win yourself!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2016

muskydan said:

Hmmmm.

Nice win yourself!
    Just as I thought. You and Musky are in cahoots.
    Like Trump says, he unifies.
  • Options
    muskydanmuskydan Posts: 1,013

muskydan said:

Hmmmm.

Nice win yourself!
    Your Zags are playing fantastic Ball….God I love the tournament!!! Although it does not help out with my slight gambling problem most of the time, but not tonight.. I was bummed Wichita State lost today, but Northern Iowa is still alive…I am a Missouri Valley guy. Good luck the rest of the way, I will definitely be playing the Zags as far as they go...
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,818
    GONZAGA!!!!

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Glad to see Musky is making sure everyone knows exactly what kind of guy he is, keepin' it classy with his "realism" lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Does this turn the table on the racism argument a little?

African American Trump supporter beats up a protestor who was wearing a KKK hood:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/273673-trump-protester-assaulted-at-rally

The violence is unacceptable but it is not just old white trump supporters beating up black protestors
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Trump is on Stephanopolous' show repeatedly saying "KLU" Klux Klan....over and over. What an idiot.

Does he seriously not have anyone in his circle to assist him with this stuff? Are they all that stupid?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Must be a paid agitator.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Are these protestors colonial revolutionaries as well? Now it's Lars Ulrich that is under attack...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/17/left-wing-protesters-brought-mob-violenc

It is this behaviour in a million different settings that is driving Trump turnout. Most of his support isn't based on ideology but on a feeling that he is willing to stand up to this nonsense.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,943
    BS44325 said:

To get back on topic...

This happened:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/03/illegals_held_in_vicious_framingham_rape

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/howie_carr/2016/03/carr_undocumented_are_running_amok_with_no_recourse

I don't support Trump but he is speaking to this problem and he is not racist to do so.

Edit: added second link

My hometown for the first 18 years of my life. Seeing this last night was a gutpunch.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    BS44325 said:

African American Trump supporter beats up a protestor who was wearing a KKK hood:

The violence is unacceptable but it is not just old white trump supporters beating up black protestors

Yes, this obviously proves that Trump supporters are not racist.
  • Options
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

It certainly proves that the thug factor is not limited to whites at Trump rallies. Hooray! Trump is multi-cultural!

• Options
    dignin said:

BS44325 said:

Finally.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

Are these protestors colonial revolutionaries as well? Now it's Lars Ulrich that is under attack...

http://reason.com/blog/2016/03/17/left-wing-protesters-brought-mob-violenc

It is this behaviour in a million different settings that is driving Trump turnout. Most of his support isn't based on ideology but on a feeling that he is willing to stand up to this nonsense.

Since we like linking to Reason, here's some reading to go along with it. http://reason.com/archives/2016/03/16/donald-trump-enables-racism
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

You americans are funny to listen to.
    Hitler? Really?
    Trump is not nor will he become that.
    Your country brought this fiasco yourself. All your reality tv shows, etc. Turn on any channel and it is fraught with your reality.
    Laughable at best.
    Trump has had enough of Jersey Shore!

you Canadians will always be sucking hind tit.