Options

Trump's rally in Chicago stopped due to protests

Comments

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    I always thought as a nation we get what we deserve. The dr called for trump medicine, take your trump medicine and stop crying.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

JimmyV said:

mrussel1 said:

Okay, this is going to be a massive post, so I'm sorry. But for my liberal and conservative friends, please have the patience to spend 30 seconds reading this. It's from a conservative, but rational writer at the very astute American Conservative Magazine. I'm a Democrat, but he's right. Not on every point, but the broader point that having a mob break up a Trump rally costs us the moral high ground. Please think about this. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/social-justice-warriors-will-elect-trump/

Yesterday I wrote denouncing the air of thuggery around Trump rallies, in particular the old coot in Fayetteville who punched an anti-Trump demonstrator. I stand by that opinion. We cannot have a democracy if people are going to get physically assaulted at a political demonstration. That loudmouth protester was in the process of being removed from the building when that jerk old man sucker-punched him. He was arrested, the old man, and charged. I hope he pays a legal price for that behavior. We cannot have that.

Getting the Chicago news, though, gives me a strongly pro-Trump feeling. These left-wing demonstrators tried to shut down an American presidential candidate’s speech during the campaign — and they succeeded, through an implicit threat of violence. People who support Trump drove hours to hear him talk, and they were denied their constitutional rights by left-wing hotheads who believe that they are so righteous that they don’t have to observe basic civility. You come to a Trump rally and you start flipping people off? You should not be surprised if you get a sock in the face.

What happened tonight in Chicago is why we need Trump, as obnoxious as he is, to keep going. I am not a Trump supporter, and I reject much of his rhetoric. But he has a right to give a speech, even an obnoxious speech, without it being interrupted by demonstrators. All of us do. Trump is revealing how impossible it is to have a normal democracy with the activist left, who think their crying need for “safe spaces” gives them the right to silence their opponents.

No. This political correctness needs to be opposed, and it needs to be opposed with force. I don’t know why the police couldn’t handle this situation, but they had better be on it in the future, because many Americans will not stand for this. What those protesters have done tonight is create a lot more Trump voters out of people who are sick and tired of privileged leftists using thug tactics to silence their opponents.

I would feel exactly the same way if conservative protesters tried to shut down a Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders rally. Protest all you want, but do it outside the venue, or silently inside. Do not silence the speaker, because if you do that, you legitimize your opponents trying to silence the speakers from your side. Thuggish, illiberal tactics like this from the left call forth the same kind of thing from the right. When right-wing white nationalist types show up and make trouble at Democratic rallies, or BLM rallies, and get them cancelled, on what grounds will you on the left have to complain?

For me, it’s all about the mob. I despise the mob. Any mob, which I define as a crowd that acts in force to silence people by intimidation or actual violence. We have seen over the past few months how left-wing mobs on college campuses have gotten away with outrageous things, because men and women in authority on those campuses lacked the guts to stand up for the liberal civic order. This is why I cannot support Black Lives Matter, even though I support its goal of bringing critical attention to police brutality: because they believe that their cause is so righteous that they have the right to stomp over anybody who doesn’t share their vision.

Don’t y’all understand that people like you only feed the Trump beast?

Unlike the liberal New York Daily News — and, no doubt, the rest of the mainstream media — I do not blame Donald Trump for this tonight. I blame the left. You want to protest against Trump? Great — that’s your right as an American. But you do so silently and peaceably. You let the man speak. It’s his right as an American, and it’s the right of the people in the audience to hear his message, however offensive it may be to you, and make up their mind about it.

This has gone too far. When an American presidential candidate has to cancel his rally in a major city because protesters have made it too dangerous, we have a serious problem in this country. It’s infuriating. This is not America. Those disruptive protesters need to be made to understand that this is not how America works.

Keep at it, Black Lives Matter and fellow travelers. You are going to get Trump elected.

I don't think what happened in Chicago is an indication we need Trump to continue, and I don't think BLM is going to get him elected. But I do agree that the protest shutting down that rally isn't something to be celebrated.

Let people speak. Voice your opposition. Donald Trump is not that hard to discredit.
    I'm with you. I don't agree with each point, but we have to maintain the moral high ground. That's the most important part of the Trump phenomenon.
    Which makes me realize that Trump probably loves this. If we treat him like a troll and just ignore him, rather then feed him, we would beat him much faster.
    Except Trump isn't a cyberspace avatar.
    He is real.
    But we treat them the same. Like that Trump thread that got closed; people love to bust on Trump. We cannot seem to ignore him as a country, we all love to hate him, EVERYONE talks about him. Now, what would happen if everybody just started to ignore him?
    It won't happen unless this forum makes a stand and shuts down trump threads.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Okay, this is going to be a massive post, so I'm sorry. But for my liberal and conservative friends, please have the patience to spend 30 seconds reading this. It's from a conservative, but rational writer at the very astute American Conservative Magazine. I'm a Democrat, but he's right. Not on every point, but the broader point that having a mob break up a Trump rally costs us the moral high ground. Please think about this. http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/social-justice-warriors-will-elect-trump/

Yesterday I wrote denouncing the air of thuggery around Trump rallies, in particular the old coot in Fayetteville who punched an anti-Trump demonstrator. I stand by that opinion. We cannot have a democracy if people are going to get physically assaulted at a political demonstration. That loudmouth protester was in the process of being removed from the building when that jerk old man sucker-punched him. He was arrested, the old man, and charged. I hope he pays a legal price for that behavior. We cannot have that.

Getting the Chicago news, though, gives me a strongly pro-Trump feeling. These left-wing demonstrators tried to shut down an American presidential candidate’s speech during the campaign — and they succeeded, through an implicit threat of violence. People who support Trump drove hours to hear him talk, and they were denied their constitutional rights by left-wing hotheads who believe that they are so righteous that they don’t have to observe basic civility. You come to a Trump rally and you start flipping people off? You should not be surprised if you get a sock in the face.

What happened tonight in Chicago is why we need Trump, as obnoxious as he is, to keep going. I am not a Trump supporter, and I reject much of his rhetoric. But he has a right to give a speech, even an obnoxious speech, without it being interrupted by demonstrators. All of us do. Trump is revealing how impossible it is to have a normal democracy with the activist left, who think their crying need for “safe spaces” gives them the right to silence their opponents.

No. This political correctness needs to be opposed, and it needs to be opposed with force. I don’t know why the police couldn’t handle this situation, but they had better be on it in the future, because many Americans will not stand for this. What those protesters have done tonight is create a lot more Trump voters out of people who are sick and tired of privileged leftists using thug tactics to silence their opponents.

I would feel exactly the same way if conservative protesters tried to shut down a Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders rally. Protest all you want, but do it outside the venue, or silently inside. Do not silence the speaker, because if you do that, you legitimize your opponents trying to silence the speakers from your side. Thuggish, illiberal tactics like this from the left call forth the same kind of thing from the right. When right-wing white nationalist types show up and make trouble at Democratic rallies, or BLM rallies, and get them cancelled, on what grounds will you on the left have to complain?

For me, it’s all about the mob. I despise the mob. Any mob, which I define as a crowd that acts in force to silence people by intimidation or actual violence. We have seen over the past few months how left-wing mobs on college campuses have gotten away with outrageous things, because men and women in authority on those campuses lacked the guts to stand up for the liberal civic order. This is why I cannot support Black Lives Matter, even though I support its goal of bringing critical attention to police brutality: because they believe that their cause is so righteous that they have the right to stomp over anybody who doesn’t share their vision.

Unlike the liberal New York Daily News — and, no doubt, the rest of the mainstream media — I do not blame Donald Trump for this tonight. I blame the left. You want to protest against Trump? Great — that’s your right as an American. But you do so silently and peaceably. You let the man speak. It’s his right as an American, and it’s the right of the people in the audience to hear his message, however offensive it may be to you, and make up their mind about it.

This has gone too far. When an American presidential candidate has to cancel his rally in a major city because protesters have made it too dangerous, we have a serious problem in this country. It’s infuriating. This is not America. Those disruptive protesters need to be made to understand that this is not how America works.

Keep at it, Black Lives Matter and fellow travelers. You are going to get Trump elected.

See, the problem with these kind of articles, is that they still divide. It's not the "protesters" that shut down his rally, it's We, the People; the people of Chicago that rejects Trump. Continuing to see this crisis as a us versus them mentality doesn't exactly help the problem, it just makes it worse.

Why aren't we acknowledging this as a people versus politics kind of perspective, not a protester versus supporter problem. Obviously there were more people that are against this person then are and support . It's a public event, and the public spoke.

And I didn't see anyone mention the pepper spraying of the demonstrators in Kansas City, MO Saturday night. Hello, it's also a police problem. Those demonstrators as you will see in the video were peaceful. This all just proves that there will be more of the continuing in the future.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FEMKcrhT0WI
    no...it's not 'we the people'. Your assumption is that those protesters spoke for everyone. They didn't. They spoke for themselves. And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But it was protester v. supporter. How can you possess so much hubris that you (the protesters) speak for all? Just like Trump doesn't speak for all white people, those protesters don't speak for Chicago or all Progressives.

And yes, I saw the KC thing. It was pretty shitty. I have no idea why those cops pulled that crap. Looked like what happened at Cal Berkley a few years ago.
    50,000 people signed a petition to keep him out...that's *Some "we the people"...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

See, the problem with these kind of articles, is that they still divide. It's not the "protesters" that shut down his rally, it's We, the People; the people of Chicago that rejects Trump. Continuing to see this crisis as a us versus them mentality doesn't exactly help the problem, it just makes it worse.

Why aren't we acknowledging this as a people versus politics kind of perspective, not a protester versus supporter problem. Obviously there were more people that are against this person then are and support . It's a public event, and the public spoke.

And I didn't see anyone mention the pepper spraying of the demonstrators in Kansas City, MO Saturday night. Hello, it's also a police problem. Those demonstrators as you will see in the video were peaceful. This all just proves that there will be more of the continuing in the future.

no...it's not 'we the people'. Your assumption is that those protesters spoke for everyone. They didn't. They spoke for themselves. And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. But it was protester v. supporter. How can you possess so much hubris that you (the protesters) speak for all? Just like Trump doesn't speak for all white people, those protesters don't speak for Chicago or all Progressives.

And yes, I saw the KC thing. It was pretty shitty. I have no idea why those cops pulled that crap. Looked like what happened at Cal Berkley a few years ago.
    It's an observation. There were enough protesters to cause enough chaos to jeopardize the candidate's security. It's not just protesters versus supporters, it's protesters versus the MAN inciting the hatred and violence. When is enough going to be enough?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832

Free said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

JimmyV said:

mrussel1 said:

I don't think what happened in Chicago is an indication we need Trump to continue, and I don't think BLM is going to get him elected. But I do agree that the protest shutting down that rally isn't something to be celebrated.

Let people speak. Voice your opposition. Donald Trump is not that hard to discredit.
    I'm with you. I don't agree with each point, but we have to maintain the moral high ground. That's the most important part of the Trump phenomenon.
    Which makes me realize that Trump probably loves this. If we treat him like a troll and just ignore him, rather then feed him, we would beat him much faster.
    Except Trump isn't a cyberspace avatar.
    He is real.
    But we treat them the same. Like that Trump thread that got closed; people love to bust on Trump. We cannot seem to ignore him as a country, we all love to hate him, EVERYONE talks about him. Now, what would happen if everybody just started to ignore him?
    It won't happen unless this forum makes a stand and shuts down trump threads.
    That thread got shut down because it was getting very, very personal. Kat had to step in several times and then a few people started taking cheap shots at Hillary's personal appearance and it was over right then.
  • Options
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

It's an observation. There were enough protesters to cause enough chaos to jeopardize the candidate's security. It's not just protesters versus supporters, it's protesters versus the MAN inciting the hatred and violence. When is enough going to be enough?
    It's his right to hold a private rally for which he paid. We show enough is enough by rising above it and supporting the Democratic candidate. That will banish Trump to the historical footnotes.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

It's his right to hold a private rally for which he paid. We show enough is enough by rising above it and supporting the Democratic candidate. That will banish Trump to the historical footnotes.
    Boom goes the dynamite
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Boom goes the dynamite
    Rise above all and support Bernie
    or Hilary
    whatever
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Shawshank said:

I'm a white guy living in Texas...does it make me a racist if I support Trump's view on illegal immigration? Let me follow by saying I have a step brother that is Hispanic...a step sister that is Hispanic...connect the dots and now you realize that I have at least one step parent that is Hispanic. I also have a son-in-law who is African American. In other words, my family is pretty fucking diverse.

My view on the proposed wall is...it's actually racist and shows your full support of modern day slavery if you don't support immigration reform. And you are positively in denial...or just plain stupid...if you don't see that.

Why you ask? It's racist because the people that suffer the most are those that are coming from Mexico and South America. This isn't about the hillbilly rednecks who want to keep the "brown" guys out. It's about modern slavery. It's slavery because everyone that buys their tomatoes and other produce from the grocery store, has a house built, has a lawn mowed, and just about anything else requiring hard, manual labor, etc. etc. is doing so on the very backs of these poor people that come to this country wanting more.

You think these people are risking their lives to come here to make fifty fucking cents for every 32lbs of tomatoes they pick? How is this not slavery?!?!? How is this not racist?!?!? You think they come here brimming with excitement to work from 4am to 8pm to pick the produce you put on your sandwiches, salads, smoothies or whatever the fuck else you're loading it up on while their kids are either home alone or God knows where else all day?? But who are they going to complain to when they are here illegally??? As long as our border allows for an unfettered flow of cheap labor, NOTHING will stop these people from being abused.

You think it's fair and just that big companies like Facebook, Disney, Apple, etc. can just bring in low paid foreign workers just so the greedy bastards can save an average of $13,000 per displaced American worker? How is that not racist? Where is the fucking outrage there??? And yes, I am fully aware that H1B visa workers are required by law to be paid the same wage as other workers with similar skills. The reality however, is that it's been found most of these workers in the tech industry for example, are paid about $13,000 less than their American counterparts, for the same fucking job! Please tell me how this is not racism at it's very core??

Trump, for all his buffoonery, has actually come up with the best possible solution to this problem. Secure the border, vet the incoming immigrants, and make it easier to become a legal citizen. Only a complete asshole could be against having those measures in place.

Why would you not try to secure the southern border and maybe inhibit both drug and human trafficking? Why would you not verify those wishing to enter the country legally? Who in their right mind just wants anyone and everyone, no questions asked, felons, drug dealers and rapists I believe he called them...to just enter freely? How fucking stupid are you to support that? How does that help the immigrants coming here with families, looking to this country for hope, to have that shitty element following them here? And how could you not want a plan that makes it easier to come here legally?

So before you start throwing around racism, you should take a look at what you support, probably on a daily basis, that contributes to keeping immigrant workers in the steerage class of our society and enables a slave labor force that hasn't been seen in this country since the 1850's. If you don't see how reforming our immigration policies and securing our border doesn't benefit these people and everyone else for that matter, then you are truly lost.

That all sounds great until you dig deeper.

The cost of the wall
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is-what-trumps-border-wall-could-cost-us.html

The cost to deport
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34789502

The reality of how this could play out.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/13/donald-trumps-success-good-immigration-reform/81652440/
  • Options
    dignin said:

Shawshank said:

I'm a white guy living in Texas...does it make me a racist if I support Trump's view on illegal immigration? Let me follow by saying I have a step brother that is Hispanic...a step sister that is Hispanic...connect the dots and now you realize that I have at least one step parent that is Hispanic. I also have a son-in-law who is African American. In other words, my family is pretty fucking diverse.

My view on the proposed wall is...it's actually racist and shows your full support of modern day slavery if you don't support immigration reform. And you are positively in denial...or just plain stupid...if you don't see that.

Why you ask? It's racist because the people that suffer the most are those that are coming from Mexico and South America. This isn't about the hillbilly rednecks who want to keep the "brown" guys out. It's about modern slavery. It's slavery because everyone that buys their tomatoes and other produce from the grocery store, has a house built, has a lawn mowed, and just about anything else requiring hard, manual labor, etc. etc. is doing so on the very backs of these poor people that come to this country wanting more.

You think these people are risking their lives to come here to make fifty fucking cents for every 32lbs of tomatoes they pick? How is this not slavery?!?!? How is this not racist?!?!? You think they come here brimming with excitement to work from 4am to 8pm to pick the produce you put on your sandwiches, salads, smoothies or whatever the fuck else you're loading it up on while their kids are either home alone or God knows where else all day?? But who are they going to complain to when they are here illegally??? As long as our border allows for an unfettered flow of cheap labor, NOTHING will stop these people from being abused.

You think it's fair and just that big companies like Facebook, Disney, Apple, etc. can just bring in low paid foreign workers just so the greedy bastards can save an average of $13,000 per displaced American worker? How is that not racist? Where is the fucking outrage there??? And yes, I am fully aware that H1B visa workers are required by law to be paid the same wage as other workers with similar skills. The reality however, is that it's been found most of these workers in the tech industry for example, are paid about $13,000 less than their American counterparts, for the same fucking job! Please tell me how this is not racism at it's very core??

Trump, for all his buffoonery, has actually come up with the best possible solution to this problem. Secure the border, vet the incoming immigrants, and make it easier to become a legal citizen. Only a complete asshole could be against having those measures in place.

Why would you not try to secure the southern border and maybe inhibit both drug and human trafficking? Why would you not verify those wishing to enter the country legally? Who in their right mind just wants anyone and everyone, no questions asked, felons, drug dealers and rapists I believe he called them...to just enter freely? How fucking stupid are you to support that? How does that help the immigrants coming here with families, looking to this country for hope, to have that shitty element following them here? And how could you not want a plan that makes it easier to come here legally?

So before you start throwing around racism, you should take a look at what you support, probably on a daily basis, that contributes to keeping immigrant workers in the steerage class of our society and enables a slave labor force that hasn't been seen in this country since the 1850's. If you don't see how reforming our immigration policies and securing our border doesn't benefit these people and everyone else for that matter, then you are truly lost.

The cost of the wall
    http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is-what-trumps-border-wall-could-cost-us.html

The cost to deport

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/13/donald-trumps-success-good-immigration-reform/81652440/
    Wait a minute... I'm being serious here. Does Trump have a pathway to citizenship plan? I think that's implied in Shawshank's post.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

dignin said:

Shawshank said:

The cost of the wall

The cost to deport

Wait a minute... I'm being serious here. Does Trump have a pathway to citizenship plan? I think that's implied in Shawshank's post.
    Maybe, probably depends on the day and who he's talking too.

I've only heard about his plan to deport all illegal immigrants.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    mrussel1 said:

Listen to his speeches...not just the soundbites the media feeds to people...and you will hear him say time and again that he wants to make it easier to become a legal citizen. That has been his mantra since day one and has been said ad nauseam. When you actually listen to what the man says, it's more about creating jobs, enforcing existing laws, and cracking down on shitty trade deals that we currently have in place, that basically help to keep American workers at mostly lower income status.

Of course this really pisses off those that need the slave labor force to remain intact, especially big corporations. It also keeps a large section of the illegal immigrant population in servitude to not only those they work for, but to the government agencies that allow them to suckle at their teat. Eliminate the need for that, and you free those people. Do anything other than secure the border and make it easier to become legal, and you keep them in bondage.

• Options
    Shawshank said:

mrussel1 said:

Listen to his speeches...not just the soundbites the media feeds to people...and you will hear him say time and again that he wants to make it easier to become a legal citizen. That has been his mantra since day one and has been said ad nauseam. When you actually listen to what the man says, it's more about creating jobs, enforcing existing laws, and cracking down on shitty trade deals that we currently have in place, that basically help to keep American workers at mostly lower income status.

Of course this really pisses off those that need the slave labor force to remain intact, especially big corporations. It also keeps a large section of the illegal immigrant population in servitude to not only those they work for, but to the government agencies that allow them to suckle at their teat. Eliminate the need for that, and you free those people. Do anything other than secure the border and make it easier to become legal, and you keep them in bondage.

Ummmmmm....

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/16/politics/donald-trump-immigration-plans/
  • Options
    Shawshank said:

mrussel1 said:

I've listened to the speeches. They are completely devoid of anything close to a policy discussion. They are generally just observations about the crowd or himself, with repeated talking points. He has made fun of Marco for supporting a pathway to citizenship. His website only has policies related to enforcement, walls and deportation. There is nothing about how to handle the millions of illegal immigrants and their legal children. So help me out. What has he said, or where is it written how to handle the issue?

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/immigration-reform
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Shawshank said:

mrussel1 said:

I've listened to the speeches. They are completely devoid of anything close to a policy discussion. They are generally just observations about the crowd or himself, with repeated talking points. He has made fun of Marco for supporting a pathway to citizenship. His website only has policies related to enforcement, walls and deportation. There is nothing about how to handle the millions of illegal immigrants and their legal children. So help me out. What has he said, or where is it written how to handle the issue?

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/immigration-reform
    Haha, I was just going to post his website. You beat me to it.
  • Options
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

It was at a university of Illinois college campus, public property, public rally!
  • Options
    I don't believe that's true. He paid for the space and security. It's not public.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I don't believe that's true. He paid for the space and security. It's not public.

Look it up. He was on a public U of I college campus.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

I know. But when a private citizen rents it, it's no longer a public event. That's why he can have people ejected and keep the press in pens
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,998
    dignin said:
    And yet supposedly it's those of us who take a progressive stance and support Bernie who are the "haters".

Ye-e-e-e-e-ah.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

I know. But when a private citizen rents it, it's no longer a public event. That's why he can have people ejected and keep the press in pens
    Are you reading?? Public campus! (PUBLIC!)
    AND, the campus represents students and faculty.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Okay. So if you go see Pearl Jam in Charlottesville, on the UVA campus, can EV have you thrown out? The answer is yes because they rented the facility. The JPJ is on a public campus but it isn't open season to you.
  • Options

College community wants Trump rally booted from campus

March 10 NEW YORK

Thousands of students are planning to protest Donald Trump when he comes to the University of Illinois' Chicago campus Friday. And many professors don't want him there either. They worry the scene could turn violent.

More than 300 faculty and staff members have asked the college to cancel the event for the leading Republican presidential candidate, citing reports that his supporters and security have verbally and physically assaulted those opposing the candidate at recent campaign rallies.

"We are deeply distressed that this event threatens to create a hostile and physically dangerous environment to the students, staff, faculty and alumni who come out to express their opposition," the letter reads.

Nearly 50,000 people have signed an online petition against Trump coming to UIC. And more than 9,000 have said on Facebook they'll be there to protest.
    The petition says the rally has "no place" on a college campus, because "Donald Trump is running on a platform of hate and dangerous intolerance.

As of Thursday, the rally is still on.

While the university is not endorsing Trump, it's renting out the venue to his campaign -- as it would any other political candidate that requested it, Chancellor Michael Amiridis said in a statement.

UIC boasts that it's one of the most diverse college campuses in the nation. A quarter of its 17,000 undergrads are Hispanic, another quarter is Asian and 8% are black. Nearly half come from families whose income is less than $40,000 a year, according to federal data.

Graduate student Jorge Mena Robles started the petition Friday night after Trump's UIC rally was announced. He's an undocumented student who came to the United States with his parents when he was 8 years old.

"I don't want to see Trump threaten my family and friends on the same stage where I received my bachelor's diploma and will receive my master's in May," Robles told CNNMoney.

But it's not just about his platforms. It's also the way protesters have been ejected out of recent rallies and treated by Trump supporters that has some people concerned.

"If this were any other presidential candidate with conservative values, like Cruz or Rubio, we would not have written this letter. This is not about free speech, it's about security," said Latin American studies professor Amalia Pallares.
    Just last week, the scene at a Trump rally grew intense when more than two dozen protesters chanting "black lives matter" were ejected. They linked arms, resisting the security officers, and some fell to the ground.
  • Options
    This doesn't prove your point, does it? How is his rally any different than PJ playing on UVAs campus? You still need a ticket to get in. You sit where they tell you and if you are rowdy, Ed had you tossed. Which he did btw at that show.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Okay. So if you go see Pearl Jam in Charlottesville, on the UVA campus, can EV have you thrown out? The answer is yes because they rented the facility. The JPJ is on a public campus but it isn't open season to you.
    You don't get it Russel. We're not talking about a show, we're talking about a presidential candidate, who wants to hold national public office. The public is INVOVED. Holding a rally on a Chicago state campus, which represents the students, faculty & alumni? Yeah, they have a say. This isn't some high priced, private fund raiser.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    No, you seem to think the rules should be fungible and subservient to your belief system. Just because YOU disagree with someone doesn't mean a private event is no longer private. Now should the chancellor have let Trump rent the joint? Maybe not. But once it's done, it's done. It's s contract. And the rules don't change because you don't like the message. The first amendment protects assholes too.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....