Options

2016 Pearl Jam Lookwright 7 & 12 Inch Vinyl Record Crates

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

deadendp said:

This thread screams "We are entitled".

+1
    What's entitled about folks voicing their opinions on an open forum?
    It's not that they are voicing their opinions, it's how they are voicing their opinion.

And yeah, some of the opinions themselves.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    I am glad 10club is listening and trying....
    now maybe we have hope of a Benny re-press at some point down the line.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955

Would imagine they are taking pre-orders so that they know how many to have made, which is cool of them.
    Even if they are for $1,000, I like the chance to look, review, and if I want, to buy.
    Thanks 10C for taking this approach.

I agree. Doing the pre-order approach is a great way to go in regards to trying to maximize the amount of people who want one, to get one and hopefully member satisfaction.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790

Would imagine they are taking pre-orders so that they know how many to have made, which is cool of them.
    Even if they are for $1,000, I like the chance to look, review, and if I want, to buy.

Stop trying to be reasonable.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    pdalowsky said:

Its just a product that people requested folks....

it might not be for everyone.. and whilst I may prefer my shelves for my records I am definitely in the 'I would prefer a quality product made locally that supports local business and provides their people with a living wage' camp.

There was a survey from a few months ago that asked those very same questions....I know for a fact I affirmed my stance on this, and as such I have no issue with this pricing - essentially given that its less than the manufacturer usually retails them at.

The only thing is I already have a storage solution, which is fine, but Im sure there are plenty people ordering these. If money was no object I would love one. but it is, so I'll sit it out.

Cant grumble at the shipping costs either, shipping is expensive these days and I would bet my last dollar that they ship these very very well packaged.

Yes there will be cheaper alternatives, and they are still available to buy, but this one is seemingly a very well crafted piece. If Folk want Ikea, that's their call.

I'm agreeing with you on pretty much everything here. It's great that a small business, and a local one for me evidently, is getting sales. I mostly don't like that it is crafted to look exactly like a plastic milk crate, but made of wood. Just personal taste. For some this is a cool idea. You really can't make everyone happy, though I'm guessing finally repressing out of print records might make everyone stand up and applaud.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    edited March 2016
    All of this talk makes me want to buy one just to support 10C's approach to this.
    Pre-order allows us all to buy, or not not buy.
    As many shared, this is not an instance where 10C is setting the price, they are offering a cool, customized Pearl Jam version of a product that is already being sold.

No pleasing this crowd no matter how they do it
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

• Options
    Wish I could afford one, as they are very nice looking, and I have a few records I could put in there.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,485
    This product is not intended to sell thousands of units. Its intended to sell some custom crates to a small percentage of the population who can afford such a thing. This is no skin off 10C's back if you dont buy them...they arent premade, and no.....they dont EXPECT everyone to plunk down 100 bucks for this. Again...these are custom made.

These things are awesome. I only wish it was around xmas time, so someone could justify these as a gift.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

This thread screams "We are entitled".

So entitled that we don't have $100 to throw away on A BOX. That's me.

It's the middle of a tour year, shortly after buying tickets and arranging flights and hotels etc... this is the last thing I would personally blow $116 on... if you're not hitting any shows and have $100 to blow on something, more power to you. Just not for me and seems like a terrible idea when you factor in the timing.

No one who buys this can ever complain about price of tickets. You spent more money on a box than a ticket to a show.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    When I read the march mail newsletter, I thought to myself "well, cool, I'll gladly spend about 20$ for the 7" one so I can store the holiday singles all together.. clicked on the link, saw the price, said "Porca troia, col cazzo!" (translation: "Holy fuckin shit, no way!") Then I had dinner.
    That's all I have to say about this, except I still remember when PJ was more about the music than this ridiculous stuff.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Porca troia, col cazzo!
    :rofl:
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955

That's all I have to say about this, except I still remember when PJ was more about the music than this ridiculous stuff.

I think its more of an indictment of the fanbase than the band.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited March 2016

When I read the march mail newsletter, I thought to myself "well, cool, I'll gladly spend about 20$ for the 7" one so I can store the holiday singles all together.. clicked on the link, saw the price, said "Porca troia, col cazzo!" (translation: "Holy fuckin shit, no way!") Then I had dinner.

Yeah, it would be really nice to have an affordable 7" PJ vinyl storage solution. I understand that 10C wants to use high quality materials and stuff made in the US and handcrafted and all that, but this is over the top, and IMO shows a bit of a lack of understanding of and empathy for the fans. They seem to be choosing items that Eddie Vedder and his famous friends might buy, because he's stinking rich and can afford high end everything, including tiny hand-painted camping mugs and $100 wooden boxes, rather than choosing what their normal, mostly middle class fan base would buy. Surely there is a middle ground, where it's not crap from China, but also not completely out of 90% of the fans' price range. I mean, sure there are some people who are fanatical enough to throw too much money at any item with a PJ logo on it... but is offering a lot of high end, very expensive band merch to a very loyal fan base the right thing to do? I would say no.
    Of course it is our right not to buy it, and many of us won't.... But the lack of normal, affordable options for the best merch ideas, like vinyl crates and coffee mugs, just doesn't quite seem fair. The affordable stuff is always garbage, and the nice stuff is way too pricey.

I'm saying this as someone who has no interest at all in vinyl crates btw, no matter what they cost. I'm just talking about the general principle of it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    edited March 2016
    I agree with most of the comments. It's cool they listened and put out some vinyl boxes. They are expensive. I have other ways to store vinyl so I can live without them. I think most of the comments are fairly polite. They like that the band came out with them, but would of liked to have seen a more cost effective version.

I don't think there's any problem with those arguments. I might consider buying one if they came out with a cheaper version. It's just PJ merch and I don't have to buy it. Good on the people that really wanted this and are willing to buy them. Better than not making them?
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Oh and btw, Santos's snarky replies make me snicker, and TBH, I think he shows a lot of restraint. :lol: I don't feel iike we should be comparing the 10C and its employees to normal businesses anyhow. I want the 10C staff to be casual with the fans so that maybe we can get personalized updates and info. I don't want Santos to start acting like a fucking customer service operator.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, it would be really nice to have an affordable 7" PJ vinyl storage solution. I understand that 10C wants to use high quality materials and stuff made in the US and handcrafted and all that, but this is over the top, and IMO shows a bit of a lack of understanding of and empathy for the fans. They seem to be choosing items that Eddie Vedder and his famous friends might buy, because he's stinking rich and can afford high end everything, including tiny hand-painted camping mugs and $100 wooden boxes, rather than choosing what their normal, mostly middle class fan base would buy. Surely there is a middle ground, where it's not crap from China, but also not completely out of 90% of the fans' price range. I mean, sure there are some people who are fanatical enough to throw too much money at any item with a PJ logo on it... but is offering a lot of high end, very expensive band merch to a very loyal fan base the right thing to do? I would say no.
    Of course it is our right not to buy it, and many of us won't.... But the lack of normal, affordable options for the best merch ideas, like vinyl crates and coffee mugs, just doesn't quite seem fair. The affordable stuff is always garbage, and the nice stuff is way too pricey.

I'm saying this as someone who has no interest at all in vinyl crates btw, no matter what they cost. I'm just talking about the general principle of it.
    Zod said:

I agree with most of the comments. It's cool they listened and out some vinyl boxes. They are expensive. I have other ways to store vinyl so I can live without them. I think most of the comments are fairly polite. They like that the band came out with them, but would of liked to have seen a more cost effect version.

I don't think there's any problem with those arguments. I might consider buying one if they came out with a cheaper version. It's just PJ merch I don't have to buy it. Good on the people that really wanted this and are willing to buy them. Better than not making them?

I agree with all these post. I appreciate what they're trying to do but Jack White has definitely beat them to the gold standard. I don't think we're asking for wooden crates. Just a nice box to put all the PJ singles in or Christmas singles in that we have. Strangely enough already made my own from a vintage case and I finally had a reason to use the Day of the Dead stickers. all over it. Support your local manufacturer but goddammit support yr working fans too. Not all of us are Rolling in it. Shout out to Fme. :lol: Santos what's that RNDM gig paying?

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850
    Maybe they should make these an Analog members renewal gift instead of stickers, luggage tags or a crappy shirt. We could assemble them ourselves, even pay for shipping.

Considering the thousands of $ if not more that most members have spent over the years on tix, music, merch, it certainly would be a nice gesture. Probably only cost 10c a few dollars a piece to have them made. Thoughts?
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think you need to be friends with Ed to buy one.
    That's it, now I'm buying one Lolo!
    :lol:
  • Options
    BTW I like my mugs, four beautiful little gems.
    ;)
  • Options

Yeah I don't think you need to be friends with Ed to buy one.
    That's it, now I'm buying one Lolo!
    :lol:

Right on your blackness

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2016
    The fans on here never cease to amaze me. Here we have a collective of people who almost universally support a living and/or minimum wage and demand for things to made locally. Yet when it comes to payment time to support "6 local businesses and it's employees" most of you scream bloody murder. These boxes are craftsmanship and take a small team to produce. If you want things made in america and a living wage for those who produce these things then recognize/accept what it costs. This is someone's livelihood.
    Post edited by BS44325 on
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

The fans on here never cease to amaze me. Here we have a collective of people who almost universally support a living and/or minimum wage and demand for things to made locally. Yet when it comes to payment time to support "6 local businesses and it's employees" most of you scream bloody murder. These boxes are craftsmanship and take a small team to produce. If you want things made in america and a living wage for those who produce these things then recognize/accept what it costs. This is someone's livelihood.

I'd actually advocate for everything being made in Canada. =)
  • Options
    nm219369nm219369 Posts: 204
    These crates are very nice and very expensive especially being Canadian. the part that got to me was the mention of the Ikea shelf. Wouldn't it be the equivalent of putting solid gold accents on a Ford Fiesta?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited March 2016
    nm219369 said:

These crates are very nice and very expensive especially being Canadian. the part that got to me was the mention of the Ikea shelf. Wouldn't it be the equivalent of putting solid gold accents on a Ford Fiesta?

The crates are designed for people who need to tote their records around. The company founder is a DJ (Mitch Manchild, no I did not make up that name). So it makes sense to me that the manufacturer is just giving a useful tidbit based on the most prevalent shelving choice. I don't think these crates are meant as your permanent record storage and it really doesn't make sense to buy them to then put them into shelves unless you're gonna be pulling them in and out to carry them some place.

Or you get them because of the novelty. If you need record storage for your home these wouldn't be what I turn to unless you have a very small collection and just need a crate or two.
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    Not5Not5 Posts: 80
    Easy buy for this guy!!
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    nm219369 said:

Except we all use a Kallax don't we? It's pretty much the vinyl storage gold standard. I just bought a new one from ikea last week as my old one is at capacity.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

nm219369 said:

Except we all use a Kallax don't we? It's pretty much the vinyl storage gold standard. I just bought a new one from ikea last week as my old one is at capacity.
    Yeah, I agree. The expedit and the kallax are pretty much the best you can get at any price after custom-built IMO. Not everything good has to be expensive!
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I don't collect vinyl. And other than 2 posters, 4 t-shirts and CDs/10C singles, I don't have any other PJ merch. IMHO, I think the wood crates look nice. And I like that they are made locally by real people and that the material is wood, (as opposed to some mass manufactured plastic stuff, imported from overseas).
    If you want to support small local business and have quality materials, you've gotta pay a bit more. Just my 2 cents. :)
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    ^^^^ more like 10,000 cents.