Options

Trump

Comments

• Options

so I'm watching CNN on my lunch. who's on? Mike Pence. at a Carrier press conference. Trump just spent $7m on tax breaks to save 1000 jobs. I was awe as he spoke about not even really considering saving Carrier jobs in the first place, thinking "that ship had sailed". But he mentioned it at one point, which he admits he didn't recall until seeing the video. Now, he's watching the news, "but I won't say which one, I can't stand them, I tell you, I can't stand them, so I won't give them the credit", and he sees an employee of Carrier saying "Trump is going to save my job". He openly admits that the only reason he did this deal was because of the faith of this ONE GUY. He is spending millions of tax payer dollars to appease ONE GUY who said he had faith in him. He said after seeing that on the news, he got on the phone with Carrier's CEO and said "we've got to make a deal".

how many other companies are going to see that and go "hmmm.....I want tax breaks, let's threaten to ship some jobs abroad".

he is single handedly going to bankrupt the US in record time.

and then he'll blame it on the democrats.

What happened to the penalties trump was going to levy against companies that moved to mexico? Carrier made out good in this deal. Not only do they get to move half of the indy plant to mexico, but they get tax breaks for keeping the other half in indiana. Plus, the parent company for carrier, United technologies, "holds billions of dollars in government contracts through the Defense Department and other agencies, contracts over which President Trump would have influence."

What's stopping any company from threatening to move?
    States have always given incentives. Nothing new.
    Yes, the tax incentives isn't the point. The point is not only is carrier moving to mexico along with half of that plant, but it's parent company is still in line for billions in government contracts. Where are the consequences trump promised?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/01/news/economy/bernie-sanders-oped-trump-carrier-washington-post/index.html?sr=fbmoney120116bernie-sanders-oped-trump-carrier-washington-post0333PMVODtopLink&linkId=31793464

Interesting take. Massive amounts of money given to Carrier for 1,000 employees. Not worth it folks. And the precedent it sets for other companies to threaten to leave is immeasurable.

Does anyone else find it concerning that one of Trump's priorities was to preserve a factory that makes gas furnaces???
    No why?
    Why would this be concerning?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    edited December 2016

so I'm watching CNN on my lunch. who's on? Mike Pence. at a Carrier press conference. Trump just spent $7m on tax breaks to save 1000 jobs. I was awe as he spoke about not even really considering saving Carrier jobs in the first place, thinking "that ship had sailed". But he mentioned it at one point, which he admits he didn't recall until seeing the video. Now, he's watching the news, "but I won't say which one, I can't stand them, I tell you, I can't stand them, so I won't give them the credit", and he sees an employee of Carrier saying "Trump is going to save my job". He openly admits that the only reason he did this deal was because of the faith of this ONE GUY. He is spending millions of tax payer dollars to appease ONE GUY who said he had faith in him. He said after seeing that on the news, he got on the phone with Carrier's CEO and said "we've got to make a deal".

how many other companies are going to see that and go "hmmm.....I want tax breaks, let's threaten to ship some jobs abroad".

What happened to the penalties trump was going to levy against companies that moved to mexico? Carrier made out good in this deal. Not only do they get to move half of the indy plant to mexico, but they get tax breaks for keeping the other half in indiana. Plus, the parent company for carrier, United technologies, "holds billions of dollars in government contracts through the Defense Department and other agencies, contracts over which President Trump would have influence."

Yes, the tax incentives isn't the point. The point is not only is carrier moving to mexico along with half of that plant, but it's parent company is still in line for billions in government contracts. Where are the consequences trump promised?
    Well, Carrier said they would save $65 million a year moving to Mexico. I believe it was per year. So, $700k of tax credits per year for ten years doesn't seem like a win for them. Perhaps the threat of taking away government contracts was actually the main driver for keeping 1000 employees there. We weren't privy to all the negotiations. There would be no penalty to analyze since Carrier kept the jobs here. Trump isn't President yet either so he doesn't have the authority to penalize, just threaten.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The media is shit right now. They all realized that they got the polls terribly wrong and needed to change their ways. Now all we hear about is the Trump transition and what various sources are saying. Guess what, the sources are all planting information for the media to report and the media just plays along. The media is getting played and they need to start reporting the news. I don't want to hear about the next Secretary of State until Trump announces it. That is when news happens. Not various sources gossiping and using the media to manipulate their objectives. Media - Report the news. Maybe we should ban 24 hour news networks (I don't support that because of freedom of speech but would be happy if they went away).
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469

The media is shit right now. They all realized that they got the polls terribly wrong and needed to change their ways. Now all we hear about is the Trump transition and what various sources are saying. Guess what, the sources are all planting information for the media to report and the media just plays along. The media is getting played and they need to start reporting the news. I don't want to hear about the next Secretary of State until Trump announces it. That is when news happens. Not various sources gossiping and using the media to manipulate their objectives. Media - Report the news. Maybe we should ban 24 hour news networks (I don't support that because of freedom of speech but would be happy if they went away).

Amen..the rush to be first to break a story is ridiculous.Remember the fake names of the Korean plane crash pilots that made it to a teleprompter to be read? Take the challenge..at ANYTIME tonight turn to CNN and I guarantee its a Trump bashing going on.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2016

What do you mean "they"?
    It sounds like the media that is shit right now were the ones reporting false mumbo jumbo numbers.
    That is not news.
  • Options
    Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NBC, cbs, huffpo, nytimes, wash post, etc..... Their coverage of the transition is nothing more than gossip disguised as news.
  • Options
    Which way will CNN play it. Trump pushing about American jobs means they pull out the foreign workers that built his hotels...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    Trump is killing the media right now..this is great
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    watching the Cincy rally. started out as something promising. what a fucking joke. he's spent the last 10 minutes ridiculing the media
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

Trump is killing the media right now..this is great

World class!
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Prophetic!

Walk off music.

https://youtu.be/7knIi3LGf4M
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2016
    What is so great about President-elect Trump is that during his "meeting" with the press head honchos he pretty much said to them "Listen, all you asses have continued to make erroneous headlines throughout my campaign now you will stop and clear it w/ me before you make another headline about me"
    Look at the media bow now.
  • Options

What is so great about President-elect Trump is that during his "meeting" with the press head honchos he pretty much said to them "Listen, all you asses have continued to make erroneous headlines throughout my campaign now you will stop and clear it w/ me before you make another headline about me"

That's not a good thing. I want a media that is skeptical of whoever is in power at the time, not colluding with the next person they want to be in power.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Is it colluding though?
    All President-elect Trump did was speak his mind.
  • Options
    You said the press has to clear headlines past the president...that's colluding defined.
  • Options
    ^^^
    I said no such thing.
    Perhaps the press heard that message.
  • Options

Well, Carrier said they would save $65 million a year moving to Mexico. I believe it was per year. So, $700k of tax credits per year for ten years doesn't seem like a win for them. Perhaps the threat of taking away government contracts was actually the main driver for keeping 1000 employees there. We weren't privy to all the negotiations. There would be no penalty to analyze since Carrier kept the jobs here. Trump isn't President yet either so he doesn't have the authority to penalize, just threaten.
    That's still not the point. Yes, I would bet that the federal contracts were a driving force behind the negotiations. But what I'm asking is where is the outrage? Trump specifically said that there would be consequences for companies moving out of the county. Not only does united technology stay I the drivers seat for those government contracts, they get tax breaks/incentives, AND get to go ahead and move half of their plant tor mexico. All without these "penalties."
  • Options
    edited December 2016

That's still not the point. Yes, I would bet that the federal contracts were a driving force behind the negotiations. But what I'm asking is where is the outrage? Trump specifically said that there would be consequences for companies moving out of the county. Not only does united technology stay I the drivers seat for those government contracts, they get tax breaks/incentives, AND get to go ahead and move half of their plant tor mexico. All without these "penalties."
    I think the point was to keep jobs in the USA, not a bloodlust to penalize companies. In this case they were able to keep 1000 jobs in the USA for a paltry sum of $700 per job for a ten year period which is less than what government/nonprofit expenses would be for 1,000 unemployed people. People are viewing it as a success. Under the current administration and a Hillary administration those 1,000 jobs would be gone without a second of sleep lost so people aren't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edit: hate damn auto-correct.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

Yes. You did.
  • Options

^^^
    Is it colluding though?
    All President-elect Trump did was speak his mind.

Was referring to collusion with Hillary campaign. Just want them to be skeptical of every leader.
  • Options

I think the point was to keep jobs in the USA, not a bloodlust to penalize companies. In this case they were able to keep 1000 jobs in the USA for a paltry sum of $700 per job for a ten year period which is less than what government/nonprofit expenses would be for 1,000 unemployed people. People are viewing it as a success. Under the current administration and a Hillary administration those 1,000 jobs would be gone without a second of sleep lost so people aren't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edit: hate damn auto-correct.

And how was trump saying he was going to keep the jobs in America? Yes, close to 1,000 jobs were saved. But what about the 7-800 jobs that were lost?
  • Options

Yes. You did.
    No. I did not.
    He had them in his pocket the whole time and passed his message willy nilly.
    Now he has confirmed that w/ them and now they are screwed.
  • Options
    where is his right hand in that picture?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,996
    edited December 2016
    vaggar99 said:

where is his right hand in that picture?
    Are you serious? His wrist is literally visible on the computer, and the only thing that's blocking his hand is the top of the laptop. I've included this so that nobody can blindly believe your lies.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ^^^^its touching an Apple computer that was made in China and that was supposed to be boycotted by all supporters of ESP. what a hypocrite
  • Options
    so now 'The Wall' will have doors. what's next? glory holes? and who will pay to drill those glory holes?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,996
    vaggar99 said:

^^^^its touching an Apple computer that was made in China and that was supposed to be boycotted by all supporters of ESP. what a hypocrite

Is this more circumstantial evidence of the fact he should be impeached? Or just more unimpeachable lies? If it's the latter, how is shining a spotlight on his lies value-added? Supporters of his are willing to look past his lying tendencies - they know about these lies. Undecideds know that he lies, and don't care. Non-supporters know that he lies, and some refuse to embrace the reality (the thing based on facts) that he is overwhelmingly likely to take office in a few months, and would rather act divisively. Mobilizing to prevent Trump from becoming President is much less likely to be effective than mobilizing to prevent some of Trump's proposals from becoming reality.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ^^^never said using an Apple computer is grounds for impeachment. just another example of what a lying sack of shit he is.
This discussion has been closed.