Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

"In exchange for keeping the factory running in Indianapolis, Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence are expected to reiterate their campaign pledges to be friendlier to businesses by easing regulations and overhauling the corporate tax code, according to a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump."

Great, so now I have to subsidize these jerks? What ever have happened to boot straps and personal responsibility? Can't they turn a profit without special favors? Sounds like corporate handouts to me. Don't blame me when the price of air conditioners soars.
    Saved 1000 jobs.
    More tax breaks and companies will only lay off half it's employees? That's not how economic growth works.
    This is a temporary solution. I'd give it 4 years before they lay off the rest who were "saved".
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association lists 12 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    1. Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
    2. Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
    3. Exaggerating your achievements and talents.
    4. Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
    5. Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people.
    6. Requiring constant admiration.
    7. Having a sense of entitlement.
    8. Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations.
    9. Taking advantage of others to get what you want.
    10. Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
    11. Being envious of others and believing others envy you.
    12. Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner.
    Does anyone come to mind?

Barack Obama
    Come on. Get serious.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995
    edited November 2016

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

^^^his narcissism is perhaps the root cause of his sick behavior. that's my only point here

Reading an article with twelve key traits people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder does not give you the sapiential authority to diagnose Donald Trump as possessing it. In addition, if he does possess it, what changes? Where is the value that you wish to add with your diagnosis?
    Trump clearly is a narcissist. To try and deny it makes the person look like they're just trying to avoid the reality of what we're dealing with.
    I don't think you understood my point. I'm not trying to accept or refute Trump being a narcissist, I'm questioning the value of the question. If he's a narcissist, then what? Many people will be upset by this revelation (the ones who somehow couldn't see this yet), he will still not be in violation of any law, and he will still become President in two months.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited November 2016
    I'm reading through some of the hawks on here chirp about "Obama failed foreign policy"

I guess you want American troops on the ground in Syria? Maybe we should have gone into Crimea

I frankly find Obamas restrained foreign policy of the last 8 years to be a breath of fresh air... all of the conflicts and issues in the world are not America's problem, they aren't my problem, and they sure as fuck aren't some 18 year old Americans problem to die for
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    my2hands said:

I'm reading through some of the hawks on here chirp about "Obama failed foreign policy"

I guess you want American troops on the ground in Syria? Maybe we should have gone into Crimea

I frankly find Obamas restrained foreign policy of the last 8 years to be a breath of fresh air... all of the conflicts and issues in the world are not America's problem, they aren't my problem, and they sure as fuck aren't some 18 year old Americans problem to die for

Restrained foreign policy? Compared to what? Bush?
  • Options
    tbergs said:

benjs said:

benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Knowing all you know about this man do you believe him ?
    Knowing all I know about this man, I'm guessing that he'll have some damn good lawyers produce documents and ideas that will give him advisory capacity in the businesses he'd still like to manage, will have profits funnelled into his family's pockets, and will legally sever ties between Trump and his organizations in the eyes of the Constitution. Ultimately, legal separation between himself and his companies is all that matters. The People already spoke with their votes that they don't see the potential for conflict of interest as a deal breaker.
    But yet Hillary was evil because of pay to play....people only care about what they want when it serves their purpose or advances their agenda.
    I don't think I said a word about good or evil, and I certainly didn't speak to the man's character - just his likely course of action based on simple logic. In addition, I don't know if you've seen my history here, but I've been vocal about my disdain for both Trump and Clinton.

What I care about is that a mobilization effort is done in a way that is well-defined in both purpose (what are we trying to accomplish), and process (how do we accomplish it). Without these two ingredients, a mobilization effort is doomed to fail (i.e. I want a million dollars, yet have no plan to obtain it - and therefore will not be able to will a million dollars in my pocket into existence). People here have certainly defined a purpose: they don't want Trump in office because (pick any of: foreign affair policies, legitimization of racism/sexism/xenophobia, domestic policies, interventionist stances). As for process, people here are not thinking critically the way Trump's team probably is right now. I would bet money that Trump's team has identified the potential paths for impeachment/dismissal and are looking for the ways to make those paths disappear: for example, legal separation (and that's all it needs to be) between Trump and his businesses will strike one of those paths off the list.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Can anyone guess the total amount of bombs dropped by Obama on these 7 countries, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq and Libya?
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump - so vaggar, that should take the conflict of interest angle off the table.

You are sounding very naive. That does not take conflict of interest off the table in the least.
  • Options
    dignin said:

benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump - so vaggar, that should take the conflict of interest angle off the table.

You are sounding very naive. That does not take conflict of interest off the table in the least.
    What do you suggest he do?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:

my2hands said:

Restrained foreign policy? Compared to what? Bush?
    Yep.
    And compared to the man you campaigned for, our national shame, Trump.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited November 2016
    BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association lists 12 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    1. Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
    2. Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
    3. Exaggerating your achievements and talents.
    4. Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
    5. Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people.
    6. Requiring constant admiration.
    7. Having a sense of entitlement.
    8. Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations.
    9. Taking advantage of others to get what you want.
    10. Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
    11. Being envious of others and believing others envy you.
    12. Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner.
    Does anyone come to mind?

Barack Obama
    Post edited by InHiding80 on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Not be president. The man is incapable of not using this power to line his pockets, and the pockets of his family.

Maybe you should have thought that conflict of interest through before you voted for a con man who is going to steal from you.
  • Options
    dignin said:

benjs said:

There are no moral baselines that a politician must adhere to - just legal ones. Therefore moral opposition can't prevent a man from being a politician - only legal opposition. I don't understand (nor need to understand) the legalese behind how Trump plans to separate himself from his business holdings, but clever lawyers will be right beside him to see him through this separation, which I trust will be just as much as he is legally obligated to - no more, no less. I'm not sure how this makes me naive.

EV
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,725
    PJPOWER said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

^^^his narcissism is perhaps the root cause of his sick behavior. that's my only point here

Reading an article with twelve key traits people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder does not give you the sapiential authority to diagnose Donald Trump as possessing it. In addition, if he does possess it, what changes? Where is the value that you wish to add with your diagnosis?
    Trump clearly is a narcissist. To try and deny it makes the person look like they're just trying to avoid the reality of what we're dealing with.
    I'm trying to think of a recent presidential that would not rate pretty high on the narcicism scale...anyone that tries to deny this is out of touch with reality and may want to be tested for schizophrenia.
    Narcissism is different than self-important, self-centered, or have an inflated ego. Anyone trying to deny trump's pathology is in denial. The denial is understandable based on the fact that we have a disturbed person in a position of such power.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Knowing all you know about this man do you believe him ?
    This is "Read my lips" from Bush Sr. all over again. I ain't buying it from POTUS elect Bad Grandpa.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Liquidate his assets and set up a blind trust. Like other presidents have done when possible conflicts of interest were apparent.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Not be president. The man is incapable of not using this power to line his pockets, and the pockets of his family.

Maybe you should have thought that conflict of interest through before you voted for a con man who is going to steal from you.
    To be fair, Hillary would do the same thing. Clintons went from a net worth of $700K in 1992 to $110M today.
  • Options
    benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

There are no moral baselines that a politician must adhere to - just legal ones. Therefore moral opposition can't prevent a man from being a politician - only legal opposition. I don't understand (nor need to understand) the legalese behind how Trump plans to separate himself from his business holdings, but clever lawyers will be right beside him to see him through this separation, which I trust will be just as much as he is legally obligated to - no more, no less. I'm not sure how this makes me naive.
    You said that conflict of interest is off the table. It is not.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

To be fair, Hillary would do the same thing. Clintons went from a net worth of $700K in 1992 to $110M today.
    They made those profits after they were out of office. That's a whole different deal than making them while in office.

Hillary opened her tax returns up and was transparent. Trump on the other hand......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,725
    Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

You're saying trump's business dealings and how he operates is the same as Clinton's? Come on.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

You're saying trump's business dealings and how he operates is the same as Clinton's? Come on.
    Hillary's business dealings are with those that funded her and were counting on her to win so she could provide influence in their best interests. I would say her conflict of interest is much more then Trump as he self-funded most of his campaign.
  • Options
    dignin said:

benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Sorry, let me clarify. If he's able to successfully make this legal separation, it will be off the table as grounds for impeachment. I completely agree that in reality the conflict of interest is still there.

EV
  • Options

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Liquidate his assets and set up a blind trust. Like other presidents have done when possible conflicts of interest were apparent.
    Can't compare him to other presidents, he never held office, most are career politicians.
    I'm not sure liquidation is entirely fair to his estate and beneficiaries. How can any liquidation be at arms length?
  • Options
    dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

They made those profits after they were out of office. That's a whole different deal than making them while in office.

Hillary opened her tax returns up and was transparent. Trump on the other hand......
    The increase in net worth has nothing to her role as sec of state? Nothing to do with her presidential aspirations? WOW!!!
  • Options
    benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Sorry, let me clarify. If he's able to successfully make this legal separation, it will be off the table as grounds for impeachment. I completely agree that in reality the conflict of interest is still there.
    Oh, I smell what you're cooking now. I agree.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Hillary's business dealings are with those that funded her and were counting on her to win so she could provide influence in their best interests. I would say her conflict of interest is much more then Trump as he self-funded most of his campaign.
    On the surface that makes sense. But I think the chances of Hillary doing shady shit to line the pockets of her donors is less likely than Trump doing shady shit to line his own pockets. In my opinion, given human nature.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

Can't compare him to other presidents, he never held office, most are career politicians.
    I'm not sure liquidation is entirely fair to his estate and beneficiaries. How can any liquidation be at arms length?
    I don't care that he isn't a career politician. Its completely irrelevant to the point. Other presidents have set up blind trusts when there could have been conflicts of interest.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

dignin said:

Jason P said:

dignin said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

The increase in net worth has nothing to her role as sec of state? Nothing to do with her presidential aspirations? WOW!!!
    Your words.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

He should have thought of that before he ran. And you should have considered that before you voted for him.
  • Options

JC29856 said:

JC29856 said:

dignin said:

benjs said:

I don't care that he isn't a career politician. Its completely irrelevant to the point. Other presidents have set up blind trusts when there could have been conflicts of interest.
    Exactly. I couldn't give a shit about what is fair to his estate or beneficiaries.
This discussion has been closed.