Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    CM189191 said:

"In exchange for keeping the factory running in Indianapolis, Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence are expected to reiterate their campaign pledges to be friendlier to businesses by easing regulations and overhauling the corporate tax code, according to a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump."

Great, so now I have to subsidize these jerks? What ever have happened to boot straps and personal responsibility? Can't they turn a profit without special favors? Sounds like corporate handouts to me. Don't blame me when the price of air conditioners soars.
    Easing regulations or reducing taxes is not you "subsidizing" them. You are not handing your tax dollars to them. Their tax burden is being adjusted. Carrier's net profit is not your money.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association lists 12 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    1. Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance.
    2. Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
    3. Exaggerating your achievements and talents.
    4. Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
    5. Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people.
    6. Requiring constant admiration.
    7. Having a sense of entitlement.
    8. Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations.
    9. Taking advantage of others to get what you want.
    10. Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.
    11. Being envious of others and believing others envy you.
    12. Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner.
    Does anyone come to mind?
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    vaggar99 said:

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders published by the American Psychiatric Association lists 12 criteria for Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
    2. Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it.
    4. Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate.
    5. Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people.
    8. Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations.
    10. Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others.

Barack Obama
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,995

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Talk to me like I'm a novice. Didn't Bush Jr create the vacuum with the Iraq war?

No. The Iraq war took the lid off Pandora's box and inserted America's military in the epicenter of a collapsing middle east. The withdrawal from Iraq along with the pullback of American leadership globally created the vacuum. It is all in the "knowing what you know now..." thread.
    Took the lid off Pandora's box.

In other words... served as the catalyst.
    Kind of like starting wild fires in Tennessee and blaming the fire departments for the death and destruction.
    You have the analogy wrong. In some very dry locations forestry services will do something called a "controlled burn". It comes with some risk but the theory is if you burn some areas now it will prevent the almost certain raging fire later. So the correct analogy would be a new fire chief coming in 3/4 of the way through the controlled burn and saying "fuck it...the fire is pretty much under control and this isn't my problem anymore." At that point the raging fire begins.
    Nice of you to compare starting a war on innocents in Iraq and declaring premature victory as a "controlled burn." I wonder if holocaust survivors think of themselves in a similar fashion? No wonder Kissinger is an idol of yours.
    I took this so differently. Regardless of whether or not there was need for starting the war, Iraq became a controlled burn at the point of invasion: without adequate supervision, there existed the potential for chaos - which is where Obama's leadership was put to test by the strategy he chose. Of his four options - put more troops in, leave the same number of troops there, bring home some troops, completely withdraw - you could argue that he picked an option with a lot of volatility, especially given being warned about the potential for power vacuums to be filled by terrorist cells.

I've seen this go back and forth on these boards for ages on the topic of Iraq, but I'll say that a President should be judged not only by the messes they create, but how they react to the messes they inherit - this is why a President must think holistically about an issue, be it domestic or foreign. On Iraq, Bush's creation of mess does not justify or excuse a bad report card on Obama's administration's Iraqi performance.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

If I took ten random people and put them in a room, I could probably diagnose at least half of them with Narcissistic Personality Disorder based on that loose definition. Several of these these traits are things that millennials are accused of having on a regular basis - do you think anyone between the ages of 10-35 today should avoid politics entirely for this reason?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ^^^meeting all 12 is pretty rare, although I know a few people who could probably meet 10 or 11 of the 12
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

^^^meeting all 12 is pretty rare, although I know a few people who could probably meet 10 or 11 of the 12

And you'd rally the populace to ensure those people never entered the public arena based on those grounds?

EV
  • Options
    ^^^his narcissism is perhaps the root cause of his sick behavior. that's my only point here
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Well, Trump just helped save a 1,000 jobs in Indiana at Carrier. Not all jobs will be saved but at least some have. Someone actually gave a damn about real people. These jobs would have stayed gone under the Hillary administration. A drop in the bucket but a start.

Not often that campaign pledges are kept. And he hasn't even been sworn in yet.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

"In exchange for keeping the factory running in Indianapolis, Mr. Trump and Mr. Pence are expected to reiterate their campaign pledges to be friendlier to businesses by easing regulations and overhauling the corporate tax code, according to a spokeswoman for Mr. Trump."

Great, so now I have to subsidize these jerks? What ever have happened to boot straps and personal responsibility? Can't they turn a profit without special favors? Sounds like corporate handouts to me. Don't blame me when the price of air conditioners soars.
    If you don't negotiate, you have zero jobs. You have no taxes to collect. You have nothing except 2000 people going on unemployment.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

^^^his narcissism is perhaps the root cause of his sick behavior. that's my only point here

Reading an article with twelve key traits people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder does not give you the sapiential authority to diagnose Donald Trump as possessing it. In addition, if he does possess it, what changes? Where is the value that you wish to add with your diagnosis?

EV
  • Options
    Also, Carrier employs union workers. Wonder who they voted for?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,418
    Women should be really afraid with Bafoon appointment of Tom Price !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump - so vaggar, that should take the conflict of interest angle off the table.
    Post edited by benjs on

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Knowing all you know about this man do you believe him ?
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

vaggar99 said:

Barack Obama
    Orange Bafoon..
  • Options
    edited November 2016

benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump

Knowing all I know about this man, I'm guessing that he'll have some damn good lawyers produce documents and ideas that will give him advisory capacity in the businesses he'd still like to manage, will have profits funnelled into his family's pockets, and will legally sever ties between Trump and his organizations in the eyes of the Constitution. Ultimately, legal separation between himself and his companies is all that matters. The People already spoke with their votes that they don't see the potential for conflict of interest as a deal breaker.

EV
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    tbergs said:

CM189191 said:

Saved 1000 jobs.
    Yep, give him credit. He did something he campaigned on. Let's not overlook how the deal was cut though. That should matter even more and what it means down the road.
    They were originally going to move 2000 jobs. They're still going to move over 1000 jobs and they've got a massive tax break. State tax breaks in Indiana, so Pence could have done this at any time.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    vaggar99 said:

Hildabeast Clinton
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802

CM189191 said:

Saved 1000 jobs.
    More tax breaks and companies will only lay off half it's employees? That's not how economic growth works.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    benjs said:

Trump just announced over Twitter that he'll be "leaving his businesses in total". https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump - so vaggar, that should take the conflict of interest angle off the table.

He's not leaving his businesses. He's not liquidating his businesses and putting the money in a blind trust. There will always be a conflict of interest as long g as he has his name on buildings and businesses.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,116
    Jason P said:

Also, Carrier employs union workers. Wonder who they voted for?

My guess would be Trump. Indiana is a huge red state and middle class people tend to vote against their own self interests.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,725
    edited November 2016
    benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Reading an article with twelve key traits people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder does not give you the sapiential authority to diagnose Donald Trump as possessing it. In addition, if he does possess it, what changes? Where is the value that you wish to add with your diagnosis?
    Trump clearly is a narcissist. To try and deny it makes the person look like they're just trying to avoid the reality of what we're dealing with.
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited November 2016
    DJT: "I will be holding a news conference in NYC w/ my children on Dec 15 to discuss the fact I will be leaving my great business to fully focus on running the country to MAGA! While not mandated to do this under the law, I feel it is important to have no conflict of interests w/ my businesses."

Hence, legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations. The Presidency is a far more important task!
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Trump clearly is a narcissist. To try and deny it makes the person look like they're just trying to avoid the reality of what we're dealing with.
    I'm trying to think of a recent presidential that would not rate pretty high on the narcicism scale...anyone that tries to deny this is out of touch with reality and may want to be tested for schizophrenia.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    benjs said:

benjs said:

Knowing all I know about this man, I'm guessing that he'll have some damn good lawyers produce documents and ideas that will give him advisory capacity in the businesses he'd still like to manage, will have profits funnelled into his family's pockets, and will legally sever ties between Trump and his organizations in the eyes of the Constitution. Ultimately, legal separation between himself and his companies is all that matters. The People already spoke with their votes that they don't see the potential for conflict of interest as a deal breaker.
    But yet Hillary was evil because of pay to play....people only care about what they want when it serves their purpose or advances their agenda.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    JC29856 said:

DJT: "I will be holding a news conference in NYC w/ my children on Dec 15 to discuss the fact I will be leaving my great business to fully focus on running the country to MAGA! While not mandated to do this under the law, I feel it is important to have no conflict of interests w/ my businesses."

Hence, legal documents are being crafted which take me completely out of business operations. The Presidency is a far more important task!

Puke. Everything is so dramatic and phony.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Trump says his lawyers are "crafting" documents that would "give" his businesses to his kids. Turning ownership over to his children DO NOT eliminate the conflicts of interest as long as his name is still on on of these buildings.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
This discussion has been closed.