Options

No to increased taxes

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    Might I suggest we look at this whole thing from a different angle? (You know I'm going to do it anyway so I don't know why I ask, :lol: )

Trying to find a way so make our societies more fair and equitable makes good sense to me. Fair taxation of some sort needs to be somehow set into motion. Supporting a living wage makes sense. Fair pay for women makes sense. Helping the homeless is a just cause. But also makes a lot of sense to me is to find a way to get people to look more closely at:

Managing ones own personal finances better: We know the government isn't always going to spend our tax dollars wisely so most of us (especially those in lower income brackets) would do well to learn better money management. Most people who are not above average income live below their means and give less than they could. This extends to purchasing choices. Paying more for something durable rather than shoddy saves money in the long run.

Priorities: Most of us would do well to prioritize our spending. Healthy food vs the latest fashions or new toys, etc.

Participating in government as a way to make sure taxes go where you want them to: How many people who complain about what their government does participate in that process? I'll go along with the notion that voting is too often rigged but is that going to change by not voting? How many people who complain about government have gone to city counsel meetings, county board meetings, or their state capitol to voice their opinion? These places should be crammed with people who are concerned about what is happening in government.

Tax money for better education: Everyone would be happier and healthier if more people were better educated and taught the basic laws of ecology, had a more solid understanding of life cycles, knew more about how preventative health care works, and understood what are the long term affects of pollution, excess resource consumption and overpopulation. We would be wise to see to it that more tax dollars are focused on this kind of education.

Tax money for a healthier environment: My biggest frustration with government- too little focus on environment.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited February 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Perhaps it's different in Canada. But in the US, trade jobs often don't offer the same level of benefits and it's absolutely more taxing on your body. If my son asked me if he should go into AC repair or Accounting, because he loved them both, I would tell him accounting without a second thought.

And then I would tell him to learn how to fix his own shit at home so he doesn't pay anyone. Anything that doesn't use highly specialized equipment I do myself. My blue collar background comes out then. I hate paying people to do something I can do with a little time, effort and the promise of a new tool.

Yes, of course I will agree that it is much harder on a person's body. There is also the issue of not being able to work with too much wear, or with injury. That said, it's not ALL hard on the body. For example, investing in a huge land mover and getting accredited to use it is a great way to make TONS of money - up to $200,000/year - without doing much of anything that is hard on your body. People charge loads of money to rent their machine and the operation of that machine for construction, etc. How about crane operators? They can make loads of cash too. Also, there is management involved on job sites - that can pay very well. "Blue collar work" is not always physically taxing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    Can I pay my tax in Canadian dollars? :lol:
    (This would not have worked well as an idea a few years ago.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

So we are back to the origins of this thread.If being happy but broke is appealing then vote for Bernie.Im sure if hes in office you will get plenty of free shit.Wont need to pay much in taxes,higher wage earners will pay your share.Looks like a solid life plan.

I dont know.I guess the thought of more income,less taxes appeals to me more.im old fashioned that way

Here's a scenario:

Let's say you own a shoe store. It called 'Big RR's Sport Shoes and Yoga Pants'. You are a self made man and a lover of capitalism. Your store is located in one of the major cities in the US.

Now, every time Nike releases a new pair of Air Jordan's you've got a ton of people on welfare coming in and using their welfare money to have the latest edition of Air Jordan's. Is this a smart thing to do? No, but a lot of people on welfare are uneducated and spend every penny they receive from the government.

But...you want lower taxes so you vote in a government who lowers your taxes by 2% by cutting a lot of welfare programs. Sounds great right. But then the new Air Jordan comes out and your sales are cut by 30% because all those people on welfare don't have the checks to run out and spend. Now the 2% you saved becomes a tiny figure compared to profits lost.

Social programs feed capitalism. The government understands this.

ED,please drop the Sport Shoes from my title.

Here at Big RRs yoga pant and sport bra emporium we specialize only in ladies exercise gear.My location is uptown (location,location,location) in a high dollar affluent market place.so no welfare shoppers frequent my boutique.But with future expansion,I may open up in an outlet mall downtown.

All kidding aside,your correct I am self made and a big lover of the ops Capitalism gives every single person who wants to work hard and make a life for them and their family.And if I can get my corporate taxes down and the govt dosent continue to rape me, I may hire 2 -3 -4 more people,who can then also pay taxes,feed their family ,contribute to the economy,pay off debt,buy a home and pull themselves up.See how that works.Its all a great. Big happy circle of life.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

So we are back to the origins of this thread.If being happy but broke is appealing then vote for Bernie.Im sure if hes in office you will get plenty of free shit.Wont need to pay much in taxes,higher wage earners will pay your share.Looks like a solid life plan.

I dont know.I guess the thought of more income,less taxes appeals to me more.im old fashioned that way

Here's a scenario:

Let's say you own a shoe store. It called 'Big RR's Sport Shoes and Yoga Pants'. You are a self made man and a lover of capitalism. Your store is located in one of the major cities in the US.

Now, every time Nike releases a new pair of Air Jordan's you've got a ton of people on welfare coming in and using their welfare money to have the latest edition of Air Jordan's. Is this a smart thing to do? No, but a lot of people on welfare are uneducated and spend every penny they receive from the government.

But...you want lower taxes so you vote in a government who lowers your taxes by 2% by cutting a lot of welfare programs. Sounds great right. But then the new Air Jordan comes out and your sales are cut by 30% because all those people on welfare don't have the checks to run out and spend. Now the 2% you saved becomes a tiny figure compared to profits lost.

Here at Big RRs yoga pant and sport bra emporium we specialize only in ladies exercise gear.My location is uptown (location,location,location) in a high dollar affluent market place.so no welfare shoppers frequent my boutique.But with future expansion,I may open up in an outlet mall downtown.

All kidding aside,your correct I am self made and a big lover of the ops Capitalism gives every single person who wants to work hard and make a life for them and their family.And if I can get my corporate taxes down and the govt dosent continue to rape me, I may hire 2 -3 -4 more people,who can then also pay taxes,feed their family ,contribute to the economy,pay off debt,buy a home and pull themselves up.See how that works.Its all a great. Big happy circle of life.
    And if we can get everyone at the top to pay their share that will be a real possibility for the first time since the 70's!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,127
    edited February 2016
    rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

Here's a scenario:

except that's bullshit....taxes are based on profits. If you are profitable and it makes sense to hire 2-3-4 more people you will have done that already or you are a shitty businessperson.

More employees should equate to more profit...which means you pay more tax.

That's how it works.

If you took your "profits" and invested them in wages you would have no profit and pay no tax...see?
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

Here's a scenario:

except that's bullshit....taxes are based on profits. If you are profitable and it makes sense to hire 2-3-4 more people you will have done that already or you are a shitty businessperson.

That's how it works.

If you took your "profits" and invested them in wages you would have no profit and pay no tax...see?
    Not really.I can adjust my labor force between in house and sub contractors.I don't have to pay insurance,Fica,comp on the subs.
    More employees def don't mean more profit.Thats crazy talk.Being more efficient and smarter does.
    And I will say it again Gern.I don't have a problem with paying taxes at all.I pay a fuckin shit load.Where I have a problem with them going up and up and the. Funds taken abused by the clowns who allocate band regulate where it goes.
  • Options
    This thread is kind of comical.

I'm thinking, if I've got this right, that all agree taxes are critical as are essential services.

I'm also thinking, if I've got this right, that many essential services need improvements (which, inevitably, means more money).

And I'm thinking, if I've got this right, that most are suggesting more accountability for the taxes already collected versus soliciting more to account for the deficiencies.

What am I missing outside of where we all agree?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    edited February 2016
    rr165892 said:

What free shit is Bernie going to give me? This sounds intriguing. I will vote for him for shit.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,798

rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

Here's a scenario:

That's how it works.

Yeah, I've never bought this argument mostly because when we hire, it's based on demand, not taxes. In other words, I'm not hiring because suddenly I have more cash due to lower taxes. I hire because there is customer demand and because the tax rate isn't 100%, it's more profitable to sell more than less.

And second, I would only go subcontractor for a number of reasons: 1. the demand is short term, 2. I don't have the scalability for the role that company has and 3. I don't know what I want so I want to sub to hire someone. Subcontracting is not less expensive than FTE unless you are going off shore, and that's a whole different set of considerations. But in general, if you have work that you can scale, it's cheaper to do it yourself. Someone has to pay those employee taxes. Now you could go independent contractor and maybe you should.. they pay their own taxes.

But at the end of the day, I don't buy the "I'd hire more people if taxes were lower" argument. Most business owners would put that in their pocket or reinvest some other way.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited February 2016
    who in this thread is out of touch with reality? some actually believe welfare folks are bringing in serious bucks. this is currently the funniest shit on the pearl jam internets. many here are actually performing their stand up comedy routines through their writings. it is very humorous around here. white collar crime/fraud/wire fraud & whatever else slick fucking bullshit rip offs done are where the big $$$ are stolen. trust the big bank, they're our pals. how about, fuck you big ass bankers in your slick ass offices in your slick ass high rises. very disgusting people with a lot of god damn nerve let me tell you that.

white collar/blue collar... probably the dumbest crap saying i ever heard. (i am insulted)

pay your taxes & calm the frig down.

high dollar college debt is foolish.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

who in this thread is out of touch with reality? some actually believe welfare folks are bringing in serious bucks. this is currently the funniest shit on the pearl jam internets. many here are actually performing their stand up comedy routines through their writings. it is very humorous around here. white collar crime/fraud/wire fraud & whatever else slick fucking bullshit rip offs done are where the big $$$ are stolen. trust the big bank, they're our pals. how about, fuck you big ass bankers in your slick ass offices in your slick ass high rises. very disgusting people with a lot of god damn nerve let me tell you that.

white collar/blue collar... probably the dumbest crap saying i ever heard. (i am insulted)

I always say if collecting welfare is so good quit your job and see how 'good' it is.
  • Options
    thank you, smellyman

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
  • Options
    chadwick said:

Chadwick the Champion!

You're a great guy, man. Don't ever change.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmmmmm.......will find the real one.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

chadwick said:

Chadwick the Champion!

You're a great guy, man. Don't ever change.
    like wise my, friend, like wise.

have a beautiful night everyone. i am off to dreamville3200

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    that graph looks quite accurate to me w/ military in the lead.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,926
    I tried to find an official government spending pie chart. There's a bunch of different ones out there so I'm guessing some are definitely more baked than others. Finding the real one looks like it could be a major headache.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I tried to find an official government spending pie chart. There's a bunch of different ones out there so I'm guessing some are definitely more baked than others. Finding the real one looks like it could be a major headache.

same here. I gave up.

Military is over 50% discrestionary spending. Welfare is small potatoes.

Military spends one billion on PR, ads and marketing for pete sake. Winning hearts and minds.

The Blue Angels is anywhere from 40-100 million per year. yowza. That could feed some families or provide a crap ton of healthcare.
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

Here's a scenario:

That's how it works.

Not really.I can adjust my labor force between in house and sub contractors.I don't have to pay insurance,Fica,comp on the subs.
    More employees def don't mean more profit.Thats crazy talk.Being more efficient and smarter does.
    And I will say it again Gern.I don't have a problem with paying taxes at all.I pay a fuckin shit load.Where I have a problem with them going up and up and the. Funds taken abused by the clowns who allocate band regulate where it goes.
    Depends on your industry. If you have a backlog and projects need completed or the customer will go somewhere else then hiring more will obviously keep the jobs with you and create more profit.

That's not crazy...that's reality.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

rr165892 said:

eddiec said:

rr165892 said:

Here's a scenario:

That's how it works.

Yeah, I've never bought this argument mostly because when we hire, it's based on demand, not taxes. In other words, I'm not hiring because suddenly I have more cash due to lower taxes. I hire because there is customer demand and because the tax rate isn't 100%, it's more profitable to sell more than less.

And second, I would only go subcontractor for a number of reasons: 1. the demand is short term, 2. I don't have the scalability for the role that company has and 3. I don't know what I want so I want to sub to hire someone. Subcontracting is not less expensive than FTE unless you are going off shore, and that's a whole different set of considerations. But in general, if you have work that you can scale, it's cheaper to do it yourself. Someone has to pay those employee taxes. Now you could go independent contractor and maybe you should.. they pay their own taxes.

But at the end of the day, I don't buy the "I'd hire more people if taxes were lower" argument. Most business owners would put that in their pocket or reinvest some other way.
    Exactly...

I can't tell you how many business people bitch about how taxes are killing them yet they aren't really paying any income tax. What they are paying is sales tax (which is not theirs to keep) and employment tax (which is mostly not theirs to keep).

There was a restaurant in my area that got shut down a year or so ago for failure to pay sales tax. They owed over $100K in sales tax. Yet when interviewed the owner said "taxes are so high it's impossible for a business to operate." Yeah right.

• Options
    The pie chart represents just discretionary spending. Still very lopsided and hard to argue over 1% vs 57%

• Options

The pie chart represents just discretionary spending. Still very lopsided and hard to argue over 1% vs 57%
    I think our military spending is greater than the next 8 countries combined. I guess on the bright side, that employs lots of people in the US. Just another type of corp. welfare.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I think our military spending is greater than the next 8 countries combined. I guess on the bright side, that employs lots of people in the US. Just another type of corp. welfare.
    It does but it also supports a lot of private defense contractors that make millions/billions. I think all that shit should be government owned.

• Options

mrussel1 said:

It does but it also supports a lot of private defense contractors that make millions/billions. I think all that shit should be government owned.
    Agreed... was being ironic a bit. Ike warned about the military industrial complex in his farewell speech. He was absolutely right.
  • Options

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options

Smellyman said:

Someone beat me to this bogus chart.

SHOW COUNT: (152) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=92, US=112, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    any of you send in extra money to the Feds? you should if you think all the handouts are kewl.