Options

Mad Season / Seattle Symphony / Sonic Evolution Purple Vinyl LP *Sold Out . 1900 copies

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722
    Got mine today. It is a first class package...no doubt. And the color is cool.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,389
    mrussel1 said:

Got mine today. It is a first class package...no doubt. And the color is cool.

Yup! Enjoy!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Mine arrived yesterday and got it's first real spin tonight.

The color is definitely more plum than the Benny. Benny is a deep delicious color wine color. The Sonic Evolution wax is also translucent. I love the gatefold and artwork. I also love that they spread these out over four sides on two discs.

I really feel like the symphony tracks on sides 1&2 are interesting and inspired, and I love Cornell's voice on Long Gone Days, River of Deceit, and I Don't Know Anything. As far as the sound mix, I think sides 1&2 are muddy and distant. You get the feeling that there was something incredibly special happening in the room that just didn't make it onto the wax.

That said, I'd be happy to have the album just for sides 1&2.

The sound mix for sides 3&4 sounds completely different and MUCH better, IMO. I'm no sound engineer, but it seems like with the symphony absent, the process of live recording must be much more straight forward.

Sides 3 includes Mad Season tracks without the symphony and feature Kim Virant and Jeff Angell on vocals (Wake Up, Lifeless Dead, I'm Above). Enjoyable for sure (Wake Up is one of my favorite songs ever). It's just very difficult to replace Layne's voice.

The absolute kicker, IMO, is side 4. The TOTD tracks (Call Me A Dog, Reach Down) performed by McCready, Ament, Cornell, Gossard, and Cameron are spectacular. These songs, performed live by these dudes, recorded at Benaroya Hall... I mean come on! These two alone make the set worth the asking price.

Side 4 finishes with All Alone and the ethereal quality of Layne Stayley's voice sampled in... it's creepy cool.

Before spinning the records I was a little worried I may have made a regrettable impulse vinyl buy... but now I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers!
    Red Rocks 6/19/95 * Rapid City 6/24/98 * EV Vegas 11/1/12 * EV Tulsa 11/19/12 * Wrigley Field 7/19/13 * Brooklyn 10/19/13 * Philly 10/21/13 * Philly 10/22/13 * Hartford 10/25/13 * OKC 11/16/13 * Tulsa 10/8/2014 * Lincoln 10/9/2014 * Moline 10/17/2014 * St Paul 10/19/2014 * Greenville 4/16/16 * Philly 4/28/16 * Philly 4/29/16 * MSG 5/1/16 * MSG 5/2/16 * Wrigley 8/20/16 * Seattle 8/8/18 * Seattle 8/10/18 * Wrigley 8/18/18 * Asbury Park 9/18/21 * St Louis 9/18/22 * Denver 9/22/22 * St Paul 8/31/23
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,867
    got mine today too, can't spin it until i get my record player set up again when we move soon, looking forward to spinning it then
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

The color is definitely more plum than the Benny. Benny is a deep delicious color wine color. The Sonic Evolution wax is also translucent. I love the gatefold and artwork. I also love that they spread these out over four sides on two discs.

I really feel like the symphony tracks on sides 1&2 are interesting and inspired, and I love Cornell's voice on Long Gone Days, River of Deceit, and I Don't Know Anything. As far as the sound mix, I think sides 1&2 are muddy and distant. You get the feeling that there was something incredibly special happening in the room that just didn't make it onto the wax.

The sound mix for sides 3&4 sounds completely different and MUCH better, IMO. I'm no sound engineer, but it seems like with the symphony absent, the process of live recording must be much more straight forward.

Sides 3 includes Mad Season tracks without the symphony and feature Kim Virant and Jeff Angell on vocals (Wake Up, Lifeless Dead, I'm Above). Enjoyable for sure (Wake Up is one of my favorite songs ever). It's just very difficult to replace Layne's voice.

The absolute kicker, IMO, is side 4. The TOTD tracks (Call Me A Dog, Reach Down) performed by McCready, Ament, Cornell, Gossard, and Cameron are spectacular. These songs, performed live by these dudes, recorded at Benaroya Hall... I mean come on! These two alone make the set worth the asking price.

Side 4 finishes with All Alone and the ethereal quality of Layne Stayley's voice sampled in... it's creepy cool.

Before spinning the records I was a little worried I may have made a regrettable impulse vinyl buy... but now I'm really enjoying it.

Cheers!

Very nice review
  • Options
    Yeah, from the last page, I was really expecting it to be similar to the TOTD and MLB purple vinyl. This is absolutely a plum.

It's a shame it doesn't come with a download. IMO, they all should. I mean, I can see why they don't... spin the vinyl, but it would certainly make life a bit easier.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    i am waiting for the apricot coloured 3rd pressing.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited February 2016
    i'm just glad that none of my 47 pressings of the first 8 albums will ever *see* the light of day

*edit*
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    Nice review: others, like me, in this drunken state of mind I'm in after reading about stocks all day, call it... pumping the stock for resale value. fuck i'm hammered. i love the review. but i think it's pumping the stock. but i love the review. DON'T BAN DRUNKEN POSTS, FUCK! FUCK! GET THE R.. i'm done. no sense in makin my brain firug out what the R was suppose to be. it's legit lame ass insane asss mega lame. i love the review. i'll buy eeverything on this forum or a million ducks. lets do this. shit my hands are loppy.

blump
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    evsgjamm said:

Nice review: others, like me, in this drunken state of mind I'm in after reading about stocks all day, call it... pumping the stock for resale value. fuck i'm hammered. i love the review. but i think it's pumping the stock. but i love the review. DON'T BAN DRUNKEN POSTS, FUCK! FUCK! GET THE R.. i'm done. no sense in makin my brain firug out what the R was suppose to be. it's legit lame ass insane asss mega lame. i love the review. i'll buy eeverything on this forum or a million ducks. lets do this. shit my hands are loppy.

blump

I think I enjoy your drunk posts better than your coffee posts!!!

There was a comic called "Too much coffee man". That you should check out.
  • Options
    Yahtzee!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Damn, after seeing the photos, now I have to buy it!
  • Options

Cheers!

All this is true and more. And you hit on the disappointment piece. I think we all expected the symphony record to blow us away, at least that's true for me. I was hoping to hear some real detail, sound stage and be able to pick out instruments, but they muddied together a bit. The 2nd LP is very good and the TOTD side is the best. Kim was definitely not the best choice for Wake Up. You need more 'pain' in the singing. Ironically, Ed would have been the best choice, other than Layne.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033

Cheers!

A passionate yet thoughtful review
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 916
    Sold out.
  • Options
    rw160510 said:

Sold out.

Surprised that it lasted as long as it did
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

rw160510 said:

Sold out.

now let's see all the ISO threads...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    probably old news, i haven't checked in a week, but while my heart beats and backspacer are also absent from the shop now, too.
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,182

mfc2006 said:

rw160510 said:

Sold out.

now let's see all the ISO threads...
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    spnoone said:

probably old news, i haven't checked in a week, but while my heart beats and backspacer are also absent from the shop now, too.

What? They didn't give me enough time to buy it! :anguished:
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,196
    It's sold out. The image still comes up when you click http://pearljam.com/goods/ .
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    The quality of this album does not impress my ears, I got it in the mail a few days ago and gave it a spin last night, i think it would've been amazing to be there in person that night but mad season just isn't the same without the late members.
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    edited February 2016
    spnoone said:

Dang it, I know I had plenty if time, but I forgot about Jeff Aments album. I am now ISO that.
  • Options
    Anyone have any quality issues on this purple vinyl? River of Deceit for me is fuzzy in the first minute of the song, at the high end, emitting from the tweeter. Has anyone else had that?
  • Options
    Would be nice if they put in a download code in the album.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,196
    Anyone outside the USA receive their copy yet?
  • Options
    davetendaveten Ireland Posts: 143
    Still waiting in Ireland
    cork 96,dublin 96,dublin 00,dublin 06,london 08, dublin 10, belfast 10, ev solo London 2012
  • Options
    Still waiting in Germany
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,590
    Still waiting in Poland ;)