Boston Hotels ???

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Suziemay said:

Suziemay said:

JimmyV said:

Suziemay said:

Anyone have thoughts on Sheraton vs Hilton in Back Bay?

Been to meetings at both but never stayed in either. From my experience they are exactly what you would expect. Maybe a little older but nice enough. They are right across the street from each other and in a great location for Fenway.
    Thanks! Debating between one of these or paying a bit more for the Commonwealth that's closer to Fenway. Hotels in Boston aren't cheap!
    Join the commonwealth party if it's in the budget. Never stayed here but it's super close and heard great things. I lucked out and booked it before a 60% price increase.
    Considering... :)
    I've stayed in both the Sheraton and the Hilton, and I prefer the Hilton. Rooms are nicer, and you avoid most of the convention crowd.

The Commonwealth was the final nail in the coffin that buried Kenmore Square, so I have scruples.

But I hear it's nice.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    ed243421 said:

who's hosting the pool party?

Any action at the beaches over by Doubletree Bayside? may be getting a couple days in at the beach Thursday and Saturday.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    dankind said:

Suziemay said:

Suziemay said:

JimmyV said:

Suziemay said:

Anyone have thoughts on Sheraton vs Hilton in Back Bay?

Been to meetings at both but never stayed in either. From my experience they are exactly what you would expect. Maybe a little older but nice enough. They are right across the street from each other and in a great location for Fenway.
    Thanks! Debating between one of these or paying a bit more for the Commonwealth that's closer to Fenway. Hotels in Boston aren't cheap!
    Join the commonwealth party if it's in the budget. Never stayed here but it's super close and heard great things. I lucked out and booked it before a 60% price increase.
    Considering... :)
    I've stayed in both the Sheraton and the Hilton, and I prefer the Hilton. Rooms are nicer, and you avoid most of the convention crowd.

The Commonwealth was the final nail in the coffin that buried Kenmore Square, so I have scruples.

But I hear it's nice.
    Damn you, I had all but decided on the Sheraton, I'm partial to Starwood Hotels because they treat me nice :)

Although, now contemplating a splurge on the Mandarin! :D
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ^^^Ooh la la!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,634

ed243421 said:

Any action at the beaches over by Doubletree Bayside? may be getting a couple days in at the beach Thursday and Saturday.
    I know a place where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    ed243421 said:

ed243421 said:

I know a place where the beer flows like wine and beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano
    well go stuff your face with salmon then....
  • Options
    Mookies UncleMookies Uncle Posts: 65
    edited February 2016
    ed243421 said:

JWPearl said:

well go stuff your face with salmon then....

Oh I don't know Ed, the French are assholes
    https://youtu.be/lQJjWhSTgEI

Post edited by Mookies Uncle on
  • Options
    fanofzsfanofzs NYC Posts: 507
    edited March 2016
    Hey Bostonians. Question for you. Staying at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge for the Fenway shows. Is this walk to and from doable and safe at night? I imagine the path up Commonwealth Avenue along the university is best. Need advice as I will be with the Mrs.

Worst case, hopefully we can cab it. Thanks!imagephoto Hyatt to Fenway_zpsiwr8o4t2.jpg" />
    Post edited by fanofzs on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    Its do-able, but a bit long. Going down Mountfort Street after you cross the B.U. Bridge and crossing Beacon and cutting through the parking lot will be a little more direct and quicker than going down Comm. Ave. (as it says there it would save you about 2 minutes), should be a fairly safe route either way. Just have to be careful crossing memorial Drive and Comm. Ave, busy roads.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    fanofzs said:

Hey Bostonians. Question for you. Staying at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge for the Fenway shows. Is this walk to and from doable and safe at night? I imagine the path up Commonwealth Avenue along the university is best. Need advise as I will be with the Mrs.

Worst case, hopefully we can cab it. Thanks!imagephoto Hyatt to Fenway_zpsiwr8o4t2.jpg" />

Staying at the same place. Quick Uber.
  • Options
    What about the Hampton inn?
  • Options
    fanofzsfanofzs NYC Posts: 507
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    MM212683 said:

What about the Hampton inn?

On Mass Ave? I wouldn't recommend it. Not the best area.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Just booked a room @ http://www.midtownhotel.com for $159 for Fenway 1, good price :)
    Boston bargain
  • Options
    The price has changed, higher.
  • Options
    DalirockDalirock Posts: 69
    The T runs to 1am Uber works well in Boston also plenty of cabs
  • Options
    pgh_danpgh_dan Posts: 26
    Anyone know about the Doubletree downtown? Can't decide on a hotel.
  • Options
    duffmannduffmann PHILLY Posts: 475
    Has anyone ever stayed at the Charlesmark? Is there a bar/restaurant on site? Please give me some info on the area, THANKS!
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • Options
    the_donthe_don Posts: 512
    FYI for those still looking - I just booked 4 nights at Copley House through Hotels.com - $526.48 all in.
    2000: Montreal 2003: Toronto 2005: Toronto 2006: Toronto x2 2008: MSG x2, Montreal x2 (EV), Toronto x2 (EV) 2009: Toronto 2010: Buffalo 2011: Detroit (EV), PJ20 x2, Montreal, Toronto x2, Ottawa, Hamilton 2013: London, Buffalo, Brooklyn x2, Philly x2 2014: Detroit 2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x2, Fenway x2 2018: Home Shows x2 2020: L.A. x2, Oakland x2 
    2023: Seattle x2 (EV) 2024: Vancouver x2, Seattle x2 (ISO: 1 N1 Seattle GA)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,930
    duffmann said:

Has anyone ever stayed at the Charlesmark? Is there a bar/restaurant on site? Please give me some info on the area, THANKS!

I've never stayed there but we used to recommend it to clients when I worked in the area. The Globe (pretty good bar) is no more than two or three doors away. Plus you are right on Boylston Street and right in Copley Square. At least 10-15 bars in a 4 or 5 block radius...many of them between you and Fenway.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    duffmannduffmann PHILLY Posts: 475
    JimmyV said:

duffmann said:

I've never stayed there but we used to recommend it to clients when I worked in the area. The Globe (pretty good bar) is no more than two or three doors away. Plus you are right on Boylston Street and right in Copley Square. At least 10-15 bars in a 4 or 5 block radius...many of them between you and Fenway.
    Thanks for the visual Jimmy V! Sounds like a happening area....
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    How about coffee? Suggestions? Which district?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    SP218311SP218311 Boston, MA Posts: 170
    Ms. Haiku said:

IMHO, the best coffee shop in the city is either Thinking Cup (Back Bay, on Newbury Street) or Render (South End, on Columbus Ave). Hot coffee, espresso (and espresso drinks), and cold brew are all killer. Thinking Cup uses Stumptown beans, not sure what Render is using. Enjoy!
    1998 Mansfield 09/15 | 2000 Mansfield 08/30 | 2003 Mansfield 07/02, 07/03, 07/11 | 2004 Boston 09/28 | 2006 Boston 05/24, 05/25 | 
    2008 Mansfield 06/28, 06/30 | 2009 Philadelphia 10/27, 10/28, 10/31 | 2010 Boston 05/17 | 2013 Worcester 10/15, 10/16 - Hartford 10/25 |
    2016 Boston 08/05, 08/07 - Chicago 08/20, 08/22 | 2018 Seattle 08/08, 08/10 - Boston 09/02, 09/04 | 2022 Denver, 09/22
  • Options
    jethrojam420jethrojam420 Foxborough MA Posts: 1,075
    Ms. Haiku said:

Bostonians don't like strong coffee. There are coffee shops around, but it's not common like seattle or NYC. But on the bright side you can't go 3 feet without seeing a dunks.
    8/29/00*5/2/03*7/2/03*7/3/03*7/11/03*9/28/04*5/24/06*6/28/08*5/15/10*5/17/10* 10/16/13*10/25/13* 4/28/16*4/28/16*8/5/16*8/7/16 EV 6/15/11 Brad 10/27/02
  • Options

Ms. Haiku said:

Bostonians don't like strong coffee. There are coffee shops around, but it's not common like seattle or NYC. But on the bright side you can't go 3 feet without seeing a dunks.
    OMG, I remember this issue from 2006! I asked the same question in 2006 and most people recommended Dunkin Donuts. Luckily, I found a cafe within the Boston Society of Architects building, and a cafe during a long walk. Time for me to put my adventure goggles on!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    SP218311 said:

Ms. Haiku said:

IMHO, the best coffee shop in the city is either Thinking Cup (Back Bay, on Newbury Street) or Render (South End, on Columbus Ave). Hot coffee, espresso (and espresso drinks), and cold brew are all killer. Thinking Cup uses Stumptown beans, not sure what Render is using. Enjoy!
    Awesome!
  • Options
    Anyone for thoughts on the Collonade? Thanks
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555

Anyone for thoughts on the Collonade? Thanks

Stayed there 10 years ago for the marathon. It's an awesome property. I have been told, by someone who stays there every year for the marathon, that it has only improved.

But seriously pricey as seemingly most Boston hotels of quality are.
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212
    fanofzs said:

Hey Bostonians. Question for you. Staying at the Hyatt Regency Cambridge for the Fenway shows. Is this walk to and from doable and safe at night? I imagine the path up Commonwealth Avenue along the university is best. Need advice as I will be with the Mrs.

I'm staying there too if you need a bodyguard for the walk.