Options

Got questions about NYC/MSG shows? Post them here! New Yorkers please contribute!

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    And everyone seems to be constantly coughing and blowing their noses
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886

wall232 said:

derbydave said:

susannj said:

If the time on the tickets for MSG Night 1 say 7:30, what time do you think they'll actually come on? 8:00-8:30?

They've been taking the stage between 8:20 and 8:35 at the shows I've attended!!
    Those shows have all had a 8pm start time, i think MSG start time is 7:30, no? They might be going on a bit earlier if so.
    Both my Philly and MSG 10C ticket emails say PJ set time is 8. They have been going on around 8:30 on every show this tour. I would bet on 8:30 but I'll still be in my seat around 8 just because.
    It's a technicality I think. MSG always opens doors 1 hour prior to showtime according to their website. If the show had a listed 8 PM start time, the doors wouldn't open til 7 PM. The band's tour management wants the doors to be open at 6:30 PM per the rest of the tour I presume so they listed the start time for MSG as earlier despite the fact that the band will still be onstage at the now typical 8:30 time. If my experience in Philly serves me correctly, one hour isn't enough to accommodate all us PJ fans getting into the venue, using the restroom, buying food/drinks/merch before the show.
  • Options
    duffmannduffmann PHILLY Posts: 475
    edited May 2016
    MayDay10 said:

:bawling: Bahahaha Time for a nap in a sterile environment? Do yourself a favor & stay out of the pit! lol
    Post edited by duffmann on
    Philly PA 91, Philly 92, Camden 98, Camden 2X 00, State College, Philly, Camden 2X & Hershey 03, Reading 04, AC 2X & Philly 05, Camden 2X 06, Camden 2X 08, Philly 4X 09, Philly 2X & Balt 13, Natti & Moline 14, FTL & MIA, Philly 2X, MSG 2X, Fenway 2X 16, Seattle 2X, Missoula, Wrigley 2X, Fenway 2X 18                               ******COVID******
    San Diego & LA  2X, PHX, MSG, Camden, Nashville, 50th SHOW STL 22, CHI(n2), INDY, FTW(n2), Austin 2X 23......
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

NYC isn't for me. Been here for 2 hours and already drained. It feels like I am embroiled in a never ending competition for every molecule of personal space

I've found that most people who say this never leave Times Square or the downtown Manhattan area. There's much more to NYC than that and that area is one of the only if not the only area that is more congested than your typical American city.
  • Options
    athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 147
    Thanks for the MetroCard info. It was poor planning on my part all around. We are trying to see if there is something we want to do today that will get us a little bit of use out of them. We are considering going to Brooklyn for the Dumbo flea market. But feeling a little bit like MayDay10, trying to figure out the subway to get to Brooklyn and then finding the place overehelms me. We may also try a museum. And if neither of these options win, I will visit the subway to get rid of the MetroCard. Or I could hold onto them and see if anyone at the Madison Square Tavern wants them...
    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • Options
    duffmann said:

MayDay10 said:

:bawling: Bahahaha Time for a nap in a sterile environment? Do yourself a favor & stay out of the pit! lol
    Also, it's allergy season. What would you expect?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    It's not strictly legal but I doubt you'd get arrested for it. The MTA calls it the tourist tax I think, no refunds :lol: (I'm kidding, I don't really know if they have a way to refund you. Try mta.info to get a contact number or to see if your issue is addressed.)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160
    MayDay10 said:

NYC isn't for me. Been here for 2 hours and already drained. It feels like I am embroiled in a never ending competition for every molecule of personal space

And it's only a rainy Sunday morning... Wait until you need to take a 4, 5 train during rush hour :D
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    schapp said:

MayDay10 said:

And it's only a rainy Sunday morning... Wait until you need to take a 4, 5 train during rush hour :D
    That's what I was thinking. New York this morning is very peaceful and empty. It drains me too though
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    SB51327SB51327 NJ Posts: 35
    cutz said:

Best way/exit to get to NJ Transit AFTER the show? (Don't want to catch the last train back to NJ, which is 1:22 A.M).

It depends on where you are sitting and where you are going. Most trains with good arrival times will leave when PJ is still on the stage. You might want to run out as soon as you hear YL. NJtransit is right under the arena. When you leave MSG you will most likely leave where the ticket window is through the front which if you walked straight would take you to the front of MSG on 7th ave. Instead of doing that hook a left or right as soon as you clear the glass door and go down the escalator. Walk across the closed off street (you will see PJ tour buses) and through the doors and go downstairs to Penn. NJTransit is right there.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    MayDay10 said:

Penn Station and Times Square are the poorest representations of NYC. You must be in one of those two places if you're in a crowd on a Sunday morning. At 7am.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

It's not strictly legal but I doubt you'd get arrested for it. The MTA calls it the tourist tax I think, no refunds :lol: (I'm kidding, I don't really know if they have a way to refund you. Try mta.info to get a contact number or to see if your issue is addressed.)

"Doubt" I'd get arrested". :-) Not sure I want to take that chance. If I went to jail, then I'd have a similar problem that led me to jail. Except now I'd be trying to figure out what to do with my two MSG tickets I might not be able to use.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    FYI today is the five Burroughs bike tour. Check to see what streets are closed!!!
  • Options
    SB51327 said:

cutz said:

Best way/exit to get to NJ Transit AFTER the show? (Don't want to catch the last train back to NJ, which is 1:22 A.M).

It depends on where you are sitting and where you are going. Most trains with good arrival times will leave when PJ is still on the stage. You might want to run out as soon as you hear YL. NJtransit is right under the arena. When you leave MSG you will most likely leave where the ticket window is through the front which if you walked straight would take you to the front of MSG on 7th ave. Instead of doing that hook a left or right as soon as you clear the glass door and go down the escalator. Walk across the closed off street (you will see PJ tour buses) and through the doors and go downstairs to Penn. NJTransit is right there.
    so the NJtransit trains always come to a specific spot in Penn? I'll have to get one of them back to Rutherford after both shows.

• Options
    Trying to put the MetroCard to use and so glad we did. I got to see my first live New York rat down here! Should have made a travel bingo game and put rat on it.
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160

Trying to put the MetroCard to use and so glad we did. I got to see my first live New York rat down here! Should have made a travel bingo game and put rat on it.

If it was on the track, then it's very common. I have even started to see the baby ones as cute :D. However, they are not that common on the platform during the day. Bonus points if they are on an actual train car (just have seen that once!)
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,431
    edited May 2016
    DP

Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 183
    Is there only one entrance to get into MSG?
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, PA, Bristow, VA, Scranton, PA
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow, VA
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, VA, Charlotte, NC
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, VA, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto, Nashville, TN
    23 - Ft. Worth 1 & Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1 & Austin 2
  • Options
    SB51327 said:

cutz said:

I'm in section 101 tonight.

Yeah, if PJ gets done at the times that most shows have(around 11:30), then i would have to leave at YL to make the 11:56 train back to NJ. But, that could be a problem for me as i always get discombobulated when i leave the Arena.(I've only been ther about 5 or 6 times and i've gone with a friend who knew where he was going, so i just followed like a lost puppy>LOL>I'm rolling solo for this show). I never seem to able to walk out the way i walked in, which if i could do i should be good, but that's the problem i haven't been able to solve.

I appreciate those directions, but i have no picture of what you're telling me. I'll do my best to find what you're telling me.

Thanks for that information.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    MayDay10 said:

Well where are you? Go in to Central Park or even Bryant Park - there's plenty of space there.

R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I was barely out of the airport, lol
  • Options
    SB51327SB51327 NJ Posts: 35
    MayDay10 said:

You must be in the wrong area. If you want some space get our of Times Square area.

SB51327 said:

cutz said:

so the NJtransit trains always come to a specific spot in Penn? I'll have to get one of them back to Rutherford after both shows.

Yes you can go to the NJtransit area or the big board and get on the train. My last one is at 11:07 so it looks like I will be ubering home to the Jersey Shore
  • Options
    Man, that sucks that the last train leaves at 11:07.

At least i don't have that problem. I have in my estimation to catch one of the last 2 trains back to SJ and that's the 11:56 or 1:22 .A.M.. HOPE i can catch the 11:56. If not i'm sure PJ will make it worth it if don't get home until after 3:00 A.M.>LOL!

Heading up now.

Thanks to those who provided the info & enjoy the show.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I have already resigned myself to the $100 uber ride home.
  • Options
    caughtAboltcaughtAbolt Posts: 39
    My wife and I have made the most of the day . Great city and so easy to get around . Getting pumped about the show !
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,185
    rnicolosi said:

I finally understand the "locals only" sentiment in the water in Hawaii as I can't get a ticket in my hometown.

Word. I'm sitting at home while people are complaining about my city? What happened to home field advantage?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    md281342md281342 Posts: 46
    For u out of downers..the west village is where it's at..easy to get back and For the to msg via the A,C,E at west 4th st or the 1,2,3 at Christopher..Lotta bars and good eats
  • Options
    RG307469RG307469 Posts: 54
    Here's a tip: the line at 8th Ave is for GENERAL ADMISSION ONLY, even though there is absolutely NO SIGNAGE for this. Just waited in the wrong line for 40 minutes and now I'm starting all over at the back of 7th.
  • Options
    RG307469 said:

Here's a tip: the line at 8th Ave is for GENERAL ADMISSION ONLY, even though there is absolutely NO SIGNAGE for this. Just waited in the wrong line for 40 minutes and now I'm starting all over at the back of 7th.

So 7th is the main and only entrance (non GA)?
  • Options
    seistoseisto Posts: 13

My wife and I have made the most of the day . Great city and so easy to get around . Getting pumped about the show !

Thanks for the kind words about this great city. All is not lost!
    Deer Creek '00
    Deer Creek '03
    MSG '08
    MSG '10
    Brooklyn '13
    Amsterdam '14