Options

Hampton Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,640
    nicknyr15 said:

maverick said:

Can someone remind me which road(s) in are a mess with construction, delays, traffic? Coming from the philly area, I'm not sure if it's better to drive down I95, or go down the coast and drive inland from Va Beach.

Great question. Leaving at 7am from Brooklyn. Was contemplating going through Delaware on 13. Any advice? I'd leave earlier but due to some other stuff I can't hit the road till 7.
    13 is the safest bet. It's the one most unaffected by traffic, although it isn't really 'fast'. But it's the least likely to run into a problem. VA Beach locals take that route when heading up the east coast.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2016
    You could also use the NJ turnpike and 95 South almost thru Del and then take 301 south thru MD into VA as well. You can pick up 17 in VA before you hit 95 again. I live south of Annapolis in MD and use this route all the time. You'll get to experience 2 of Maryland's sketchiest bridges (The Bay Bridge and The Nice Bridge) in one trip!
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,640

You could use the NJ turnpike almost thru Del and then take 301 south thru MD into VA as well. I think you can pick up 17 before you hit 95 again. I live south of Annapolis in MD and use this route all the time.

That would work too. Although 301 in Maryland (DC suburbs) can be brutal. If you've gone all the way to 17, you might as well pick up 95 in Bowling Green and then haul ass to Hampton. There are lots of ways, but probably best to stay out of the Baltimore and DC beltways. That's for sure. And never get on 95 until you're south of Fredericksburg.
  • Options
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Thanks for the advice on best routes! Washington DC is always the PITA part of the trip down south. I have time though. I'll be leaving Saturday, sleep somewhere in between and arrive in Hampton on Sunday - then off to Raleigh on the 19th, arrive same day and stay there till 22nd - birthday trip. :bee:
  • Options
    waveruewaverue Posts: 108
    Looking for Hampton GA...plan to be there nice and early...happy to exchange PayPal in advance or cash in person day of show! Thanks for considering. Pearl Jam has helped me so much....being in GA close to the band and surrounded by people who really understand the passion and soul of the music means the world to me. Thanks for considering!!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,443
    mrussel1 said:

nicknyr15 said:

maverick said:

Can someone remind me which road(s) in are a mess with construction, delays, traffic? Coming from the philly area, I'm not sure if it's better to drive down I95, or go down the coast and drive inland from Va Beach.

Great question. Leaving at 7am from Brooklyn. Was contemplating going through Delaware on 13. Any advice? I'd leave earlier but due to some other stuff I can't hit the road till 7.
    13 is the safest bet. It's the one most unaffected by traffic, although it isn't really 'fast'. But it's the least likely to run into a problem. VA Beach locals take that route when heading up the east coast.
    My friend said the same thing to me today(about RT 13 being my safest bet). I'm leaving Sunday sometime during the day, and my friend said that Baltimore & DC could be fucked up, even on a Sunday. (I thought it may not since it was a Sunday, and the Orioles & Nats are on the road that day). As far as time goes=it's 6 of one half-dozen of the other, but going RT 13 is over 40 miles shorter, for me anyway coming from Jersey.

This is my first of many shows and i'm looking forward to this show the most, and not because it's my first show. I've heard great things about shows in the Hampton Coliseum. Great venue with great sound.
  • Options
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Have extra Loge L Row 4 Seat 2 - 84.00 - side/backstage. Putting on public sites tomorrow. Thank you!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    What did the hippie say when the drugs wore off?
    Man this music sucks!

Ripple encore with Ed on the uke please!!
  • Options
    it is happening...
  • Options
    There's no way this show isn't an all-time classic, right? Especially after what they did over the course of the Florida run.

Maybe I should lower my expectations just a bit...
  • Options
    AmyDeeAmyDee Alexandria, VA Posts: 24
    Get_Right said:

Ripple encore with Ed on the uke please!!

Yes, yes, yes!!!!
  • Options
    EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 125
    Here are a few classic Hampton moments, most with live video:

December 18, 1981 - The Rolling Stones, "When the Whip Comes Down"
    Keef's birthday show. The Stones officially released the video and audio of this show in the last couple years.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EkhsHox1Jq0

October 8, 1989 - The Grateful Dead, "Morning Dew"
    This ballad was written by Bonnie Dobson in 1961 (inspired by Nevil Shute's 1957 novel, On the Beach). It's a conversation between two people after a nuclear apocalypse. Throughout the song, one person tells the other that "I cannot walk you out in the morning dew" because of the catastrophe. But, at the end, that person says, "I can walk you out in the morning dew, my honey. I guess it doesn't matter anyway" because death is impending no matter what. It is one of a handful of songs the Dead played their entire 30 year career. It's about 12-13 minutes and worth it, especially if you make it to the end where the music builds to a crescendo and Jerry belts out, "I guess it doesn't matter anyway!" This show and the next night were released in a box set, called, "Formerly the Warlocks."
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=q0ESvht_y_4

December 31, 1996 - Dave Matthews Band (/w Bela Fleck & the Flecktones), "Typical Situation"
    No live video on this one, but it's a soundboard with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones sitting in. This show was released as Live Trax No. 7
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CRXgV5vnV1c&list=PL1T0hHFDjgDFbRCBTygeL9Rz_PCEQk3l8

October 18, 2013 - Phish, "Carini"
    Here's a dark one from Phish. Perhaps the heavy nature of it might translate well to some PJ fans. Of course, the length of the jamming may have the opposite effect. (Among Phish heads, it is a well-loved version.) At moments, the video gives you a glimpse of just how close the side stage and behind the stage seats are to the stage. I don't believe this show was an official release, but Phish released a compilation from their 1998 two-night run called, "Hampton Comes Alive." They also chose Hampton Coliseum as the venue for their first shows in 2009, since calling it quits in 2004.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=hR3lVxqgaMA

April 18, 2016 . . .
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Here are a few classic Hampton moments, most with live video:

December 18, 1981 - The Rolling Stones, "When the Whip Comes Down"
    Keef's birthday show. The Stones officially released the video and audio of this show in the last couple years.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=EkhsHox1Jq0

October 8, 1989 - The Grateful Dead, "Morning Dew"
    This ballad was written by Bonnie Dobson in 1961 (inspired by Nevil Shute's 1957 novel, On the Beach). It's a conversation between two people after a nuclear apocalypse. Throughout the song, one person tells the other that "I cannot walk you out in the morning dew" because of the catastrophe. But, at the end, that person says, "I can walk you out in the morning dew, my honey. I guess it doesn't matter anyway" because death is impending no matter what. It is one of a handful of songs the Dead played their entire 30 year career. It's about 12-13 minutes and worth it, especially if you make it to the end where the music builds to a crescendo and Jerry belts out, "I guess it doesn't matter anyway!" This show and the next night were released in a box set, called, "Formerly the Warlocks."
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=q0ESvht_y_4

December 31, 1996 - Dave Matthews Band (/w Bela Fleck & the Flecktones), "Typical Situation"
    No live video on this one, but it's a soundboard with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones sitting in. This show was released as Live Trax No. 7
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=CRXgV5vnV1c&list=PL1T0hHFDjgDFbRCBTygeL9Rz_PCEQk3l8

October 18, 2013 - Phish, "Carini"
    Here's a dark one from Phish. Perhaps the heavy nature of it might translate well to some PJ fans. Of course, the length of the jamming may have the opposite effect. (Among Phish heads, it is a well-loved version.) At moments, the video gives you a glimpse of just how close the side stage and behind the stage seats are to the stage. I don't believe this show was an official release, but Phish released a compilation from their 1998 two-night run called, "Hampton Comes Alive." They also chose Hampton Coliseum as the venue for their first shows in 2009, since calling it quits in 2004.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=hR3lVxqgaMA

April 18, 2016 . . .

I love it!
  • Options
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Just went to Hampton coliseum website and could pull pairs of mezzanine tix for the show
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    still happening those tickets Stoney side Mezz
    get em while they're there
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Psyched! Driving from NY to Philly tomorrow and then the 5+ hour drive on Monday to the Mothership! I will be the guy in the get right shirt. Say hello!
  • Options
    lutwutchlutwutch Ashburn, VA Posts: 180
    Not making it as soon as I originally thought. Can anyone hook fellow Virginian up with a poster? Will pay back and can hook you up with Philly 2 poster? PM me if you can help. TIA.
    Bob
    All that's sacred, comes from youth...

'92 Stanhope, '98 Washington, DC (VFC), '00 Merriweather Post, MD, '03 Nashville, TN, State College, PA, Holmdel, NJ, '04 Reading, PA (VFC), '05 Philadelphia, PA, 06 Camden, NJ, East Rutherford, NJ, '08 Camden, NJ (I and II), 09 Philadelphia, PA (II and III), '10 New York, NY, '13 Baltimore, MD, Charlottesville, VA, '16 Hampton, VA, Philadelphia II, 08 Newark, NJ (Vedder Solo), '16 TOTD Upper Darby (I)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rolled into hampton today... hoping for a classic
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 569
    Who is staying at Embassy Suites?
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    DefraggerDefragger Posts: 32
    I'll be at the embassy suites....also got an extra GA PM me if interested
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 404
    The show before the show I'm going to. I think back to 2013, when I was so hopeful to hear songs like Crown of Thorns, Oceans, Release and Breath. I went to four shows, starting with Brooklyn 2. Brooklyn one had Releae, Crown of Thorns, and Oceans. Caught Breath at Charlottesville though. But what are the odds of the other three the night before?!?

Also, I then missed Crown of Thorns by one show again twice on that tour!
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    10 hour drive from Cleveland. Will be in the "pit" for this one.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    Just left from SW Michigan. SO STOKED.
  • Options

Who is staying at Embassy Suites?

Yup the mrs. and I staying @ Embassy, heading down tmrw a.m.!! Anyone have pre-gaming/tailgating options if the parking lot is off limits?? (I know VA Beach Amphitheater had a zero tolerance open container /tailgating policy)
  • Options
    GA in VA.

First time in GA ... and it's show No. 10. I will be the one Mike is pointing at ... over and over again.
    "I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • Options
    CosmoCramerCosmoCramer Posts: 569
    Leaving Indy right now for Hampton. See y'all there.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018