Options

I can't believe that there is no thread on the Cologne problem on New Year's Eve......

124»

Comments

• Options
    ^^^
    Your missing the point.
    Criticizing a religion should not put you into a category of having a phobia.
    Any other religion you can criticize and have a dialogue.
    This one in particular you can't. Why?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited January 2016
    By the way, as regards the use of the term islamophobia, I would probably agree that it is sometimes thrown about willy nilly without proper consideration as to its suitability for purpose. There are times when it is appropriate and times when it is lazy, crude and sensationalist. A good journalist or well-informed individual should ensure they are choosing the appropriate term before using potentially inflammatory language
  • Options

^^^
    Your missing the point.

According to the OED definition, criticism of Islam does not constitute Islamophobia
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,582
    edited January 2016

^^^
    The absurd term dated back to then yes.
    It has only become relatively more used in language.
    Why this religion though?
    There are many religions people are against and they don't get labelled as having a phobia.

Not my quote but some guy :grin: Christopher Hitchens put out there that " the stupid term — Islamophobia — has been put into circulation to try and suggest that a foul prejudice lurks behind any misgivings about Islam’s infallible ‘message"

Can it be said about any other religion?

I think we can just as easily call it Xenophobia. I think that might be more accurate. So a "phobia" still fits... but it's not as specific as Islamophobia, which is, I figure, why such a specific term came about.
    I don't see why you're getting hung up on semantics though. It seems pretty irrelevant to the issue.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

^^^
    Your missing the point.

According to the OED definition, criticism of Islam does not constitute Islamophobia
    Find me a political/public speaker who has not been labelled with this term and who has also questioned some of the beliefs.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

^^^
    The absurd term dated back to then yes.
    It has only become relatively more used in language.
    Why this religion though?
    There are many religions people are against and they don't get labelled as having a phobia.

Not my quote but some guy :grin: Christopher Hitchens put out there that " the stupid term — Islamophobia — has been put into circulation to try and suggest that a foul prejudice lurks behind any misgivings about Islam’s infallible ‘message"

Can it be said about any other religion?

I think we can just as easily call it Xenophobia. I think that might be more accurate. So a "phobia" still fits...
    I don't see why you're getting hung up on semantics though. It seems pretty irrelevant to the issue.
    Indeed, a red herring that simply serves to distract from the central issues
  • Options

^^^
    Your missing the point.

Certainly not. Some people might throw it around irresponsibly. I mean, I'm certainly not Islamophobic, but you're not going to see me pulling any punches when it comes to the status of women in Islam. Of course criticism isn't the same as being Islamophobic (or Xenophobic). All cultures and societies have problems that need to be addresses, called out, criticized, worked on, so that hopefully the problems can be fixed. But that isn't intolerance.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

^^^
    Your missing the point.

Find me a political/public speaker who has not been labelled with this term and who has also questioned some of the beliefs.
    I don't have a list of political/public speakers who have been called Islamophobic, do you? If you can provide that, I can see who is not on it and then answer, lol.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I feel odd for my seemingly misplaced rant now. But it is my home country. It makes me incredibly angry and sad to read that these fuckheads are gaining momentum at the moment. It is weird with some people from good old times to see what they post on fb. With some, I am almost waiting for the fascist rants. Germany is a mess right now and it makes me sad.
  • Options

I feel odd for my seemingly misplaced rant now. But it is my home country. It makes me incredibly angry and sad to read that these fuckheads are gaining momentum at the moment. It is weird with some people from good old times to see what they post on fb. With some, I am almost waiting for the fascist rants. Germany is a mess right now and it makes me sad.

It sucks I know.
    As an honest question - Do you think of yourself as a German American or an American?
    No answer required if you don't want to.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I think of myself as a German in America. I am not a citizen yet. I live here, and I like it. I am thinking about naturalisation, but if I do, I want to keep my German citizenship as well. This involves a little bit more effort and money, but it is worth it for me. I hate that I am not allowed to vote. Not here, and also not in Germany because I am not registered there anymore.
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • Options

I think of myself as a German in America. I am not a citizen yet. I live here, and I like it. I am thinking about naturalisation, but if I do, I want to keep my German citizenship as well. This involves a little bit more effort and money, but it is worth it for me. I hate that I am not allowed to vote. Not here, and also not in Germany because I am not registered there anymore.

So you have no nationality right now?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I don't think it was misplaced, Leeze...can totally see how I would, could, feel similarly.
  • Options

I have a German passport, so my nationality is German.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I don't think it was misplaced, Leeze...can totally see how I would, could, feel similarly.
    Thank you, Hedo. It is appreciated :)
  • Options

As German as the wonderful Rammstein :)
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited January 2016
    There are big cultural differences between the countries in their view of women maybe it's not so strange that things like this happen.
    (I mean between countries like Marocko and Germany)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I hate Rammstein :lol:
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    Du hast meich?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

I hate Rammstein :lol:
    Nej! Ah I love them :)
  • Options
    Back to topic, this is a bizarre story. It's not everyday you read about a sexual assault epidemic in a whole country.

Has this been only a New Years incident or are people still beings assaulted?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I would not say that it is an epidemic. I have read of other incidents in Zurich and another city (from New Years). But you know, you have to take all these reports with a grain of salt. With the anti refugee movement gaining more supporters, I could see how some things are being used for more media presence. Like I said, it is very important to try and not drink the kool-aid, but find objective sources of information. Which is hard these days.
  • Options

Back to topic, this is a bizarre story. It's not everyday you read about a sexual assault epidemic in a whole country.

It's not the first time it's happened. I remember there were rape-hoards running around Egypt during the Arab Spring. It got to the point that women's male family members and friends had to go out with the women and surround them in the a circle to protect them from mobs of rapists in the streets. Also, there seems to be an ongoing sexual assault epidemic in India and Pakistan.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not the first time it's happened. I remember there were rape-hoards running around Egypt during the Arab Spring. It got to the point that women's male family members and friends had to go out with the women and surround them in the a circle to protect them from mobs of rapists in the streets. Also, there seems to be an ongoing sexual assault epidemic in India and Pakistan.
    These are things that truly boggle my mind...
  • Options
    ^^^
    You just have to get to the root cause and all answers will be revealed.