Options

I can't believe that there is no thread on the Cologne problem on New Year's Eve......

Comments

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Maybe you and I have different concepts of "fear mongering". This isn't the cold war era where everyone thought the Russians were going to nuke us at any moment, but really had no basis in that fear. This isn't G.W. saying Iraq has yellow cake and plans on attacking us if we don't go in there and take out Saddam, even though there was no evidence to substantiate that push.

My post is not exaggerated to ensue fear and sway opinion, which is what fear mongering actually is in case you didn't know. My post is based on real life, tangible examples. And those are just a couple of examples. Do you really want me to go digging around and bombard this thread with every possible reason why people might be a little nervous of having thousands upon thousands of unchecked migrants from that region entering their communities with absolutely no way of knowing who may or may not be radicalized?

It's not fear mongering, racist or Islamophobic when people have a legitimate reason to feel uneasy based on the reality of the world we live in.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Good post.
    That stupid word islamophobic, - not even a real word.
    Fuck it drives me crazy that people think this is a real word - not you.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Shawshank said:

Maybe you and I have different concepts of "fear mongering". This isn't the cold war era where everyone thought the Russians were going to nuke us at any moment, but really had no basis in that fear. This isn't G.W. saying Iraq has yellow cake and plans on attacking us if we don't go in there and take out Saddam, even though there was no evidence to substantiate that push.

My post is not exaggerated to ensue fear and sway opinion, which is what fear mongering actually is in case you didn't know. My post is based on real life, tangible examples. And those are just a couple of examples. Do you really want me to go digging around and bombard this thread with every possible reason why people might be a little nervous of having thousands upon thousands of unchecked migrants from that region entering their communities with absolutely no way of knowing who may or may not be radicalized?

It's not fear mongering, racist or Islamophobic when people have a legitimate reason to feel uneasy based on the reality of the world we live in.

Picking and choosing which stories you tell and which you omit about a group with the goal of stirring fear is certainly fear mongering. If BBC aired a special about Chicago gangs without explaining the reality of the situation from a larger perspective they would be fear mongering.
    Calling fears "reality" and "living in the real world" doesn't mean shit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

^^^
    Good post.
    That stupid word islamophobic, - not even a real word.
    Fuck it drives me crazy that people think this is a real word - not you.

Maybe the word isn't real, but the sentiment it expresses is alive and well.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    The thing is that the media does blow things up. And that is fear mongering. And people are biased. Have you ever ventured out to explore what kind of stuff is happening at the Oktoberfest in Munich each year? Sexual harrassment, drunk violence etc, perpetrated by whom? Fucking Germans. Same for the Karnival.

I have read an interview with a German female journalist who was there at the Legida rally. These people wore transparents saying "Rapefugees not welcome!", an extremist right band was playing, and the people claimed to protest against violence against women, and were shouting slogans that sound like from the nazi rallys in the 30's and 40'. When the journalist was taking a picture of the leader of that group who was holding the sign after his speech, she was hit in the face and her phone was hit out of her hand. The hitter? A woman. These people are stupid as fuck. They want the pitchforks out. They scream nazi paroles. They are the true threat to democracy.
    Of course it is understandable to be concerned about things that change. Of course things need to progress. But you have to keep your eyes open and try to find objective reports about things, not just follow the hateful mob. And it is tough to find objective reports. There is a jungle of opinions out there. I deleted the two links I posted because they were from a website that is known for misrepresenting. I was trying to find something informative and objective about the events in English, but I am having a hard time. These are confusing times. I hope people continue to keep a clear mind, inform themselves and stand up against the hateful brown shit soup that is the nazi ideology.
  • Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    And again...no one is saying ALL Muslims are like this. No one really believes or is professing to serve as fact that all Muslims want the Western world to live under Sharia Law. No one is saying that we should cower in fear of all Muslims. For every bad story I'm sure there's a hundred or more good ones. The point is...if there is no way to differentiate or identify those that are radical, those that do want to cause harm, those that do not want to assimilate, then the people that are on the receiving end of this migration have every right to be nervous.
  • Options
    ^^^
    Is it fear mongering to say that there is millions, if not hundreds of millions of people wish Sharia law was the law of the world?
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    how is islamophobia not a word?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

you know all the horrible examples of Muslims engaging in extreme behavior in the name of their religion can also be made of Christians. We got crazies too. Don't mean the whole world needs to be afraid of us.

True.
    Name some.
    The Westboro Baptist Church.
    Kristin Davis (or whatever the fuck her name was)
    Conversion Therapy
    The Kansas State Board of Education (See Also: Kentucky, Louisiana)

As loathsome as the aforementioned groups are... I don't feel they are in the same league as radical Muslims.

For example, Kim Davis (I believe that's who you meant) refused service to gay people while ISIS throws gay people off towers. The Westboro Baptist Church annoys people with their protests and spewing their garbage while Muslim extremists stone suspected adulterers to death and shoot people watching rock concerts or having coffee near rock concerts.
    right but that's ISIS. Those idiots walking around the park are nothing more than a version of a neighborhood watch.

i honestly just named comparable crazies off the top of my head, who took a line out of their religion's text and went fuckin nuts with it.

I mean if you want me to google christian terrorists who kill other people I will but like I don't really feel like doing it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

Is there Christianophobia, or Hindiphobia, or Atheistophobia, etc?
    It's an unnecessary absurd term.
    It's a non-word.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

ldent42 said:

you know all the horrible examples of Muslims engaging in extreme behavior in the name of their religion can also be made of Christians. We got crazies too. Don't mean the whole world needs to be afraid of us.

True.
    Name some.
    The Westboro Baptist Church.
    Kristin Davis (or whatever the fuck her name was)
    Conversion Therapy
    The Kansas State Board of Education (See Also: Kentucky, Louisiana)

As loathsome as the aforementioned groups are... I don't feel they are in the same league as radical Muslims.

For example, Kim Davis (I believe that's who you meant) refused service to gay people while ISIS throws gay people off towers. The Westboro Baptist Church annoys people with their protests and spewing their garbage while Muslim extremists stone suspected adulterers to death and shoot people watching rock concerts or having coffee near rock concerts.
    right but that's ISIS. Those idiots walking around the park are nothing more than a version of a neighborhood watch.

i honestly just named comparable crazies off the top of my head, who took a line out of their religion's text and went fuckin nuts with it.

I mean if you want me to google christian terrorists who kill other people I will but like I don't really feel like doing it.
    The mob of people in the streets of Kabul in the video recently posted weren't ISIS (at least visibly)- they were devout religious idiots that were outraged over the Koran being burnt and tossed in the garbage.

So... no... it's not just ISIS.

I never said there weren't Christian terrorists and I also wasn't talking about terrorism. I was talking about an ideology that, frankly, disturbs me.

I did use Google for the hell of it and it did reveal some Christian terrorist groups; however, I stand by my original assertion to you- those idiotic groups pale in comparison. It's not even close.

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/07/6_modern_day_christian_terrorist_groups_our_media_conveniently_ignores_partner/
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.
    just because you don't like the word doesn't mean it's not a word ... it's in headlines all over the news ... so, it's a word ... there's not really a debate about it ...

again - feel free to argue it's prevalence in society or anything for that matter but claiming it is not a word is what is absurd ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.
    just because you don't like the word doesn't mean it's not a word ... it's in headlines all over the news ... so, it's a word ... there's not really a debate about it ...

again - feel free to argue it's prevalence in society or anything for that matter but claiming it is not a word is what is absurd ...
    what about the other words I mentioned?
    Are they words?
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    well ... my definition of a word is if I understand what it means ... so, in your case - sure they are words to me ...
  • Options
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    well ... my definition of a word is if I understand what it means ... so, in your case - sure they are words to me ...
    Well call me religionophobic then.
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    i believe the word is theophobia ... ;)
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    Well if I have religionophobia it makes me religionophobic right?

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    Well played :)
  • Options

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

It's a non-word.

Are they words?
    Well if I have religionophobia it makes me religionophobic right?

on the assumption that you define the word as a fear of religion ... then there already is a word for it ...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Adjective
    theophobic ‎(comparative more theophobic, superlative most theophobic)

Of or relating to theophobia; afraid of a God or gods.

haha
  • Options
    ^^^
    I know what theophobia means.
    I was trying to insert other names infront of ohphobia to show that is not a word.
    Is christianophobia a word?
  • Options

^^^
    I was trying to insert other names infront of ohphobia to show that is not a word.

Really don't get what point you're trying to make. Islamaphobia was a word that grew out of a recognised concept - that is how words are created. I'm a terminologist, so you could say it's kind of my subject area...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,580
    edited January 2016

It is comical that anti-immigration folks are painted as devils when there is so much evidence that the immigrant crisis and terrorism is completely disrupting European life at the moment. Certainly I'm against racists and Nazi types, but for those who just want to stop immigration right now as they feel their way of life is threatened, it is hard to fault them.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've read "and the anti-immigration folks are now going to use this as an example to support their crazy ideas...." because I would have a lot of dollars. At some point the article/comment should read, "this is another example that supports the anti-immigration argument". I'm not saying which side is right, but stop portraying people as extremists when almost everyday they can find an example whether large or small to support their position.

Well of course it's completely disrupting life in Europe. The sheer numbers of totally undocumented people coming across the borders is totally unmanageable. That's why nations around the world need to be working harder and documenting and screening these people, and relocating them using some law and order. Western Europe, and especially Greece and Germany are getting totally overwhelmed, and NO ONE supports people just coming ashore on a boat and wandering into society without any kind of processing or security. This why there are so many calls for HELP dealing with this crisis and all those people crossing borders, and why attitudes expressed by the likes of Trump and Hungary and racists and paranoid people are so totally unhelpful. The international community needs to come further together to set up a system - a decent system aimed at helping people in need and controlling the movement of refugees. But instead, too many people and governments want to turn their backs because of the problem they refuse to fix.
    All that said, as mentioned earlier, these horrible people in Cologne don't seem to have been Syrian refugees. I'm not clear on how these particular people got into the country, whether or not they were refugees, or anything....
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,580

^^^

Really don't get what point you're trying to make. Islamaphobia was a word that grew out of a recognised concept - that is how words are created. I'm a terminologist, so you could say it's kind of my subject area...
    No more new words ever!!!!! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2016

^^^

Islamaphobia was a word that grew out of a recognised concept - that is how words are created. I'm a terminologist, so you could say it's kind of my subject area...
    What is Islamaphobia?
    :grin:
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

^^^

Islamaphobia was a word that grew out of a recognised concept - that is how words are created. I'm a terminologist, so you could say it's kind of my subject area...
    What is Islamaphobia?
    :grin:
    Have to correct my own spelling there haha (hazard of typing while trying to follow a TV programme at the same time)

Islamophobia, as defined by OED is

'Intense dislike or fear of Islam, esp. as a political force; hostility or prejudice towards Muslims.'

It might surprise you to know that the term dates back to 1923
  • Options
    ^^^
    The absurd term dated back to then yes.
    It has only become relatively more used in language.
    Why this religion though?
    There are many religions people are against and they don't get labelled as having a phobia.

Not my quote but some guy :grin: Christopher Hitchens put out there that " the stupid term — Islamophobia — has been put into circulation to try and suggest that a foul prejudice lurks behind any misgivings about Islam’s infallible ‘message"

Can it be said about any other religion?
  • Options

^^^
    The absurd term dated back to then yes.
    It has only become relatively more used in language.
    Why this religion though?
    There are many religions people are against and they don't get labelled as having a phobia.

Not my quote but some guy :grin: Christopher Hitchens put out there that " the stupid term — Islamophobia — has been put into circulation to try and suggest that a foul prejudice lurks behind any misgivings about Islam’s infallible ‘message"

Can it be said about any other religion?

Because there isn't the same widespread fear and prejudice towards any other religion, not to anywhere near the same extent. I'm not a fan of Christianity but I don't fear it, for example.
  • Options
    ^^^
    People are being labelled as islamophobes for simple criticism of the religion.
    You may not be a fan of christianity but that doesn't make you a christianophobe.
  • Options

^^^
    People are being labelled as islamophobes for simple criticism of the religion.
    You may not be a fan of christianity but that doesn't make you a christianophobe.

No, because as I explained I don't fear it nor tar all Christians with the same blood-spattered brush. This is the difference. We criticise individual Christians for homophobic or archaic views. However, we don't brand the whole religion and its practitioners as being a threat to society.

On the other hand, we are very quick to condemn Islam based on the actions of a similarly small percentage of its practitioners