Options

Bands you know are good,by popularity but you just don't like

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,952
    TL170678 said:

I basically hate the entire rock scene that`s on the radio...Shine Down, God Smack, Fall Out Boy(ugh), Avenged Sevenfold, Hatebreed, etc.

Hatebreed doesn't get played much on the radio, least not near me. Only remember hearing I Will be heard and maybe once or twice Defeatist on the radio. agree with you on the rest except Godsmack i kinda dig them.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

Have you guys heard Phish properly or seen them live? They're one of the greatest bands. Granted it took me a couple tries to "get it", but when you do it opens up a whole different sort of world musically.

Nirvana is such an overrated band. They were heavily influenced by Screaming Trees who I thought had much better songs.
    I'd try to hear them properly, but every time try to listen properly... I find myself yearning for anything else- even country music or a root canal.

I can understand how a taste for such music can develop just as I can understand how other bizarre tastes develop too: I mean... how does one develop a taste for people defacating on them during sex? I'm pretty sure their first experience with that wasn't a smash hit sensation- they'd have to be persistent to eventually determine for themselves that poop on their chest is cool and desirable.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

TL170678 said:

I basically hate the entire rock scene that`s on the radio...Shine Down, God Smack, Fall Out Boy(ugh), Avenged Sevenfold, Hatebreed, etc.

Hatebreed doesn't get played much on the radio, least not near me. Only remember hearing I Will be heard and maybe once or twice Defeatist on the radio. agree with you on the rest except Godsmack i kinda dig them.
    Can't stand Godsmack but I do love Voodoo. Those tribal drums are hypnotic.
  • Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

Have you guys heard Phish properly or seen them live? They're one of the greatest bands. Granted it took me a couple tries to "get it", but when you do it opens up a whole different sort of world musically.

Nirvana is such an overrated band. They were heavily influenced by Screaming Trees who I thought had much better songs.
    I'd try to hear them properly, but every time try to listen properly... I find myself yearning for anything else- even country music or a root canal.

I can understand how a taste for such music can develop just as I can understand how other bizarre tastes develop too: I mean... how does one develop a taste for people defacating on them during sex? I'm pretty sure their first experience with that wasn't a smash hit sensation- they'd have to be persistent to eventually determine for themselves that poop on their chest is cool and desirable.
    https://media0.giphy.com/media/9ohlKnRDAmotG/giphy.gif
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBXqfL-yrts
  • Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBXqfL-yrts
    Hah! :lol:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

https://media0.giphy.com/media/9ohlKnRDAmotG/giphy.gif
    That llama is trying to seduce me.
  • Options
    Green Day
    Foo Fighters
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Eagles
    Billy Joel
    John Mayer
    James Taylor
    Ray Lamontagne (not all of his songs, but most)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited September 2016

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

I have seen them live, and I think they pretty much suck. However, their fans are fun. Enjoyable concert because of the crowd and it's super fun vibe ... despite the music. I mean, it's not horrible sounding music that assaults my ears. It just all sounds the same and goes nowhere IMHO. I mean, I literally couldn't remember what I heard after the show. It was like background music at a good party for me.... somewhat annoying background music because it lacks variety. I've listened to plenty of it, and I'm pretty sure there is no upcoming "getting it" moment for me. I know some people love them a LOT though (which is why their crowd is so good). Phish just isn't for everybody. That said, I'd still go to another Phish show if I could get a cheap enough ticket. I had a great time just partying with everyone and people watching. (Fun fact: Eddie Vedder was at the show I went to, and he was up above me on the scaffolding beside the stage. And he looked like he was doing the same as me - happy, excited eyes and a big smile while focusing completely on the crowd instead of the stage... not to say he doesn't like Phish's music. I have no clue about that. But you could tell he was particularly interested in the vibe of the crowd).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    PJ_Soul said:

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

I have seen them live, and I think they pretty much suck. However, their fans are fun. Enjoyable concert because of the crowd and it's super fun vibe ... despite the music. I mean, it's not horrible sounding music that assaults my ears. It just all sounds the same and goes nowhere IMHO. I mean, I literally couldn't remember what I heard after the show. It was like background music at a good party for me. I know some people love them a LOT (which is why their crowd is so good). Phish just isn't for everybody.
    Seeing them in Vegas later this month! I'm not a big fan, but I like them. They are fun but pretty far down on the list. It's definitely a party. They are the true heirs to the Dead.
  • Options

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

:rofl:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^ I believe the proper term is Cincinnati Bow Tie.
  • Options
    Perry NeumPerry Neum Vienna, Austria Posts: 856
    Genesis, especially the old stuff w/ Peter Gabriel on vox.
    Great songs (Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth, etc.) but not my cup of tea.
    Friends already gave up on me considering this topic. :)
    Salzburg, Austria 06-18-2000
    Vienna, Austria 09-25-2006
    Vienna, Austria 06-16-2007
    Berlin, Germany 08-15-2009
    Berlin, Germany 06-30-2010
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
    Praha, Czech Republic 07-02-2012
    Trieste, Italy 06-22-2014
    Vienna, Austria 06-25-2014
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

^^ I believe the proper term is Cincinnati Bow Tie.

:lol:
    I am suddenly wondering why in the hell I actually know what that is. :lol:
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    5 star thread. Would read again. Would recommend to friends and family.

With that said, let's see....

The Beatles. Boring
    The who. If I were 20 years older I think I would get it more. Don't hate them, just not a big deal for me.
    Billy Joel
    The Eagles
    Genesis
    Bruce Springsteen
    Arcade fire
    Oasis- these guys are fucking losers, it must be like others have said about phish to them, just horrible

Anyway, great fucking thread. It's funny how our parents and our upbringing can mold our tastes. I laugh my ass off every time someone takes a huge Cleveland steamer on phish, because I'm one of those tools who grew up living out of a VW bus at dead shows and gravitated to phish later on. It kind of became my family of sorts I guess. Anyway, the three day festivals they throw are some of the greatest experiences I've ever encountered. Don't think I'll ever get to go but seeing them in the Mayan riviera must be quite the experience. Awesome fact about Eddie at their show, pj soul!

I'll add more at some point but man, fuck Bruce Springsteen, that guy is like still working in a fucking old car factory in Detroit in 1982. I just can't listen to his lyrics, not everyone feels like they're always struggling to survive. He probably has a hundred million bucks but acts like life is soooo hard. He's smart so he writes for losers while laughing his way to the bank.

Oh, and fuck nickelback too.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    I really hate Oasis. They are smug little pricks in my opinion.

I love Bruce. His lyrics aren't about being poor. They are about what it's like growing up and living in certain parts of the country. I'm from one of those parts and I get him and I get his lyrics. If you stay, it's a trap. You have to try and get out. it's exactly what I had to do. Half of the men in my HS class went to work for GM and Ford so I totally get him. He is a lyrical genius. He and Dylan are our Thoreou and Emerson. In 60 years, kids will be studying their work in poetry class.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    mrussel1 said:

I love Bruce. His lyrics aren't about being poor. They are about what it's like growing up and living in certain parts of the country. I'm from one of those parts and I get him and I get his lyrics. If you stay, it's a trap. You have to try and get out. it's exactly what I had to do. Half of the men in my HS class went to work for GM and Ford so I totally get him. He is a lyrical genius. He and Dylan are our Thoreou and Emerson. In 60 years, kids will be studying their work in poetry class.

Right on. I can't stand him but I gotta say I love the guitarist in his band, that sopranos guy. He's just an awesome character.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Right on. I can't stand him but I gotta say I love the guitarist in his band, that sopranos guy. He's just an awesome character.
    Sylvio... aka Little Steven
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    edited October 2016
    I tired over and over again to get into my morning jacket and I just can't. Also I never understood the love for foo fighters, their music is actually quite annoying. I absolutely hate journey and rush.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited October 2016
    Well this thread had AMT written all over it, didn't it? We should ask Kat to move it for us. ;)
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    The Doors
    Alice in Chains
    Bob Dylan
    Radiohead
    Phish
    Grateful Dead
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I tired over and over again to get into my morning jacket and I just can't. Also I never understood the love for foo fighters, their music is actually quite annoying. I absolutely hate journey and rush.

Geezuz Scruffy...

What the hell, man? Foo Fighters are awesome. And Rush?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

:rofl:
    Good to have a laugh with you Soul!
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

Geezuz Scruffy...

Rush is the worst. As a Canadian are you legally allowed to make fun of rush?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    White Stripes, Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Nirvana....great bands that just happen to be boring too me.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

mcgruff10 said:

Geezuz Scruffy...

I also can't stand the music of Foo Fighters and Rush. I find both unlistenable. Add DMB to that.
  • Options

White Stripes, Black Keys, Foo Fighters, Nirvana....great bands that just happen to be boring too me.

The WHITE STRIPES??? Are you friggin' kidding me?? Jack is the greatest rock genius since Neil Young.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    DMB
    Mumford
    Muse
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Nirvana. Like some stuff from Bleach, and a couple from Incesticide. Just found them to be boring. Don't hate me!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The WHITE STRIPES??? Are you friggin' kidding me?? Jack is the greatest rock genius since Neil Young.
    I don't own one white stripes album. I just probably check them out since I never gave them a listen to. I'm gonna get killed for this but I never saw why pj loved neil young so much. He's an incredible guitarist but I could never stomach his voice.