Options

Bands you know are good,by popularity but you just don't like

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    FrankY59 said:

Okay...

Serious question: would you rather listen to Phish on quality headphones for 1 hour straight... or watch two episodes of Caillou back to back?

Fuck Cailou

:lol:

I don't have kids so I didn't know about all this hate for that show.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Arcade Fire
    Mumford
    Modest mouse
    Black keys
    Bruce Springsteen
    To name a few
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853

Phish- horrendous.

Just... freaking... horrendous.

Everytime I hear a Phish song I think "No, no this can't be real. No one can enjoy listening to this."

It's so bad that I am mildly entertained by like half a song before I lose my mind.
    Okay...

Serious question: would you rather listen to Phish on quality headphones for 1 hour straight... or watch two episodes of Caillou back to back?
    I just saw this question, and I had to google Caillou because I never heard of it lol.

I just watched literally one minute and Caillou seems like a whiny little brat. Give me Phish for one hour only!!!
    That's hilarioso :lol: My boys are past the age of interest in Caillou (thankfully!) but when they were a little younger I banned them from watching it when I was around. It has some good morals to it but he's such a whiny little beeotch that I couldn't stand to be in the car or next room when it was playing. That said I'll take an hour of Phish on the headphones (Billy Breathes, please) over 120 seconds of Caillou any day of the week
  • Options
    I think Caillou is a Canadian thing, no?
    Black Keys are one that didn't come to mind at first but has been brought up. I haven't listened to too much of their stuff, only the hits, but I have no reason to check out their deeper tracks. A band should be able to grab me is what I've always thought. They just sound way too generic.
  • Options
    White Stripes.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    To all who say Rush:

Is it Rush you don't like? Or the sound of Geddy's voice? As a huge fan of Rush, I've found it most often to be the latter when someone expresses their distaste. No biggie, just wondering.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I basically hate the entire rock scene that`s on the radio...Shine Down, God Smack, Fall Out Boy(ugh), Avenged Sevenfold, Hatebreed, etc.
    I grew up on PJ, Pantera, Metallica, Tool, Megadeth, NIN, White Zombie, Korn, Soundgarden, AIC, Led Zeppelin, STP, etc and there seems to be no original music anymore and you can basically tell they are just ripping off 1 or 2 of their favorite artists.
    Also the folksy bullshit is really particular bad to me because that is considered rock. I just do not see how Imagine Dragons, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Alt J, etc could be as popular as it is.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    edited December 2015
    I'm surprised there is some distaste for Jack White here... to me, he's the Neil Young of the current day. He writes country, blues, rock, ballads, anything he wants and it's all his style. He'll headlines Roo, Coachella and then plays a $3 show in Idaho, that is truly acoustic. He jumps from band to band and stamps his signature on each of them, whether it's WS, Dead Weather, Racs, or solo. There's no one else like him and only been a few ever with the range of his talents. And his commitment to analogue and vinyl quality is unparalleled.
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    mrussel1 said:

I'm surprised there is some distaste for Jack White here... to me, he's the Neil Young of the current day. He writes country, blues, rock, ballads, anything he wants and it's all his style. He'll play a huge festival and then a $3 show in Idaho, that is truly acoustic. He jumps from band to band and stamps his signature on each of them, whether it's WS, Dead Weather, Racs, or solo. There's no one else like him and only been a few ever with the range of his talents. And his commitment to analogue and vinyl quality is unparalleled.

Haha, you may have hit the nail on the head. A lot of people can't stand Neil Young, believe it or not. I know, crazy, but true. Many people just don't get his voice and style. Same with Bob Dylan, and yes, Jack White too. I feel fortunate that I get all three. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

I'm surprised there is some distaste for Jack White here... to me, he's the Neil Young of the current day. He writes country, blues, rock, ballads, anything he wants and it's all his style. He'll play a huge festival and then a $3 show in Idaho, that is truly acoustic. He jumps from band to band and stamps his signature on each of them, whether it's WS, Dead Weather, Racs, or solo. There's no one else like him and only been a few ever with the range of his talents. And his commitment to analogue and vinyl quality is unparalleled.

Haha, you may have hit the nail on the head. A lot of people can't stand Neil Young, believe it or not. I know, crazy, but true. Many people just don't get his voice and style. Same with Bob Dylan, and yes, Jack White too. I feel fortunate that I get all three. ;)
    JW's lyrics aren't as powerful as NY, Dylan or Bruce, but he's still an elite talent. Part of that is he isn't as politically motivated in his music. Jack's passion comes from more traditional male/female relationships it seems.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

JW's lyrics aren't as powerful as NY, Dylan or Bruce, but he's still an elite talent. Part of that is he isn't as politically motivated in his music. Jack's passion comes from more traditional male/female relationships it seems.
    Absolutely. I think the issue I was thinking of is really just the sound of their voices. Not everyone likes off-key singers, haha. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Foo Fighters
    Nickelback
    Oasis
    Smashing Pumpkins
  • Options

Foo Fighters
    Nickelback
    Oasis
    Smashing Pumpkins

Who like Oasis and Nickelback?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Foo Fighters
    Nickelback
    Oasis
    Smashing Pumpkins

Who like Oasis and Nickelback?
    No clue.
    If you can find these millions of fans that support them though it would be appreciated. Ha
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I like Oasis. Well, their first 3 albums, anyway.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Nickleback
    So true,a good mate of mine I took took a PJ show (Melb 09) loves Nickleback and argue's they are better live than PJ
    God bless the little idiot
  • Options

I like Oasis. Well, their first 3 albums, anyway.

Same here - I think the first 4 albums are great.
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

I basically hate the entire rock scene that`s on the radio...Shine Down, God Smack, Fall Out Boy(ugh), Avenged Sevenfold, Hatebreed, etc.
    I grew up on PJ, Pantera, Metallica, Tool, Megadeth, NIN, White Zombie, Korn, Soundgarden, AIC, Led Zeppelin, STP, etc and there seems to be no original music anymore and you can basically tell they are just ripping off 1 or 2 of their favorite artists.
    Also the folksy bullshit is really particular bad to me because that is considered rock. I just do not see how Imagine Dragons, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Alt J, etc could be as popular as it is.

Freaking word man. The melodramatic contemporary folk stuff is super popular around here and I can't stand it. I do like Mumford and Sons' song The Wolf though and I've been meaning to check out that album. It seems a little more rocky than the banjo nonsense they made it big time with.
  • Options
    pljam said:

Nickleback
    So true,a good mate of mine I took took a PJ show (Melb 09) loves Nickleback and argue's they are better live than PJ
    God bless the little idiot

We've all got idiot friends. And they do try so hard.

Poor bastards. They just don't get it, but why would they- idiots.

* Sorry for the Caillou comparison LOL! People Googling the whiny little 'future idiot' was not my agenda.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,482
    mrussel1 said:

I'm surprised there is some distaste for Jack White here... to me, he's the Neil Young of the current day. He writes country, blues, rock, ballads, anything he wants and it's all his style. He'll headlines Roo, Coachella and then plays a $3 show in Idaho, that is truly acoustic. He jumps from band to band and stamps his signature on each of them, whether it's WS, Dead Weather, Racs, or solo. There's no one else like him and only been a few ever with the range of his talents. And his commitment to analogue and vinyl quality is unparalleled.

It's not really a distaste. If you go back and read the first post in this thread, it's more like a backhanded compliment. I recognize everything you said about Jack White, but I personally don't like his music. People are treating this as a "I hate" so-and-so thread, but I don't think that's what the OP intended.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    It's interesting that some of you say there is no original music anymore. If you go back to the early years of rock (debatable but basically late 40's/early 50's) into 50's rock and roll, 60 psychedelic rock, classic rock, folk rock, punk, new wave, heavy metal, post punk, 90's grunge and slacker rock, noise rock, industrial, and all the myriad sub-genres mixed in there, what do you expect in the way of original music? Unless your talking about a band like, say, Wolf Eyes, you're going to have a hard time finding something truly original. At this point in history, that makes sense, doesn't it? They're out there, but you have to dig for it.

Here's a sample of Wolf Eyes for the adventuresome:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMssiOp9bbA
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    TL170678 said:

I just do not see how Imagine Dragons, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Alt J, etc could be as popular as it is.

Because people's dicks have been falling off en masse since the mid 90's.
    There has been a horrible spate of cocklessness going round since the early 2000s.
    And by the mid-2000's shit got so dickless that the shit you just listed sound like "rock and roll".
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125

To all who say Rush:

Is it Rush you don't like? Or the sound of Geddy's voice? As a huge fan of Rush, I've found it most often to be the latter when someone expresses their distaste. No biggie, just wondering.

Usually that is what most will say of the band they most dislike. One thing most will never say is that they can play their instruments better than most other bands in rock music. No biggie though music fans will NEVER see them again on tour but you may hear new music in the forthcoming years. The PROFESSOR has retired from touring.

Oh the odd thing about Rush was that the first thing was Geddy Lee's voice that drew me to the band back 76-77 when I first heard them.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    Tame Impala
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • Options
    Kiss
    Beastie Boys
    Foo Fighters (a few pretty good songs)
    Arcade Fire
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,776
    Lana Del Ray
    Arcade Fire
    Muse
    City and Color
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options

TL170678 said:

I just do not see how Imagine Dragons, Lumineers, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, Alt J, etc could be as popular as it is.

There has been a horrible spate of cocklessness going round since the early 2000s.
    And by the mid-2000's shit got so dickless that the shit you just listed sound like "rock and roll".
    ^ This post is absolute dynamite. Many people in my generation (early 20's) don't know how to rock out man. It sucks. I'm sure there are plenty out there like I am, but I've only seen them few and far between.
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

Phish does suck

Have you guys heard Phish properly or seen them live? They're one of the greatest bands. Granted it took me a couple tries to "get it", but when you do it opens up a whole different sort of world musically.

Nirvana is such an overrated band. They were heavily influenced by Screaming Trees who I thought had much better songs.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    PJ88 said:

Meatloaf did act in probably the greatest movie in a generation, "To Catch a Yeti"! How he was not even nominated for an Academy Award I will never know! Damn you Hollywood bureaucrats!

That is a terrible hot mess of a movie. I saw it on Rifftrax recently.
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

TL170678 said:

^ This post is absolute dynamite. Many people in my generation (early 20's) don't know how to rock out man. It sucks. I'm sure there are plenty out there like I am, but I've only seen them few and far between.
    Explains my frustration with the popularity of these Pat Boone ish wimpy "rock" bands that are pop like Maroon 5 and One Republic. This generation is so lacking in aforementioned "dicks" they think Black Keys sounds too much like Slayer. One note of a distorted guitar makes them scaredy cats ffs.