Random Thoughts take II

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    family can really crack you up sometimes..
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    JWPearl said:

family can really crack you up sometimes..

Or make you crazy! Or is that what you meant? :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

both :lol:
    dreamt of my brother last night
    and it was a hilarious one
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited December 2015
    The distance from Earth to Neptune is 2.7 billion miles. If you traveled at a 1/4 million (250,000) mph it would take 1 year, 2.5 months to get there. Traveling at the speed of light (671 million mph) would take just over 4 hours.

If you circled the earth at the equator 108,430 times, you'll travel the same distance as Earth to Neptune.

And that's just our tiny little solar system, in a tiny little galaxy, in a tiny little cluster, in a tiny little super cluster, amongst many voids vast beyond comprehension, of the known/visible universe.

We're all made of this shit.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on

HONEYBEES (Apis mellifera) construct their honeycombs with wax secreted from glands found on the underside of their abdomen. The honeycomb is regarded as an engineering marvel. Why?

Consider: For centuries, mathematicians suspected that partitions in the shape of hexagons were better than equilateral triangles or squares—or any other shape—for maximizing space with the least amount of building material. But they could not fully explain why. In 1999, Professor Thomas C. Hales provided mathematical proof for the advantage of what he termed “honeycomb conjecture.” He demonstrated that regular hexagons are the best way to divide a space into equal parts with minimal structural support.

By using hexagonal cells, bees can make the best use of all the space available to them, produce a light but sturdy honeycomb with a minimum amount of wax, and store the maximum amount of honey in a given space. Not surprisingly, the honeycomb has been described as “an architectural masterpiece.”

Today, scientists mimic the bees’ honeycomb to create structures that are both resilient and space efficient. Aircraft engineers, for example, use panels patterned after the honeycomb to build planes that are stronger and lighter and thus use less fuel.

What do you think? Did the superior structure of the honeycomb come about by evolution? Or was it designed?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    evolution.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

aren't narcissitic people generally diagnosed as being psychotic?

I think psychotics are narcissistic, but narcissists aren't necessarily psychotic.

my sister is a narcissist, and to my knowledge isn't psychotic.

I know my boss is psychotic...that came out first, now I realize she is also narcissistic. both have to do with BPD though.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888

RKCNDY said:

aren't narcissitic people generally diagnosed as being psychotic?

I think psychotics are narcissistic, but narcissists aren't necessarily psychotic.

my sister is a narcissist, and to my knowledge isn't psychotic.

Yeah, my sister is also narcissistic without being psychotic. Neurotic, yes. Psychotic, no.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    i understand im only in somebody elses dream
    but i hate that feeling
    im human who has feelings and i act upon them
    if your careless or selfish and dont treasure
    little things personally
    if you dont care im not going to either, honestly
    and theres plenty other fish in the sea
    its time to grow up and smell the roses
    bc they do have thorns
    ''do me this one favor if you care
    think of me doing what you do and tell
    me how you honestly feel'' ? tell me..
    bc i will if you will if you dont i wont
    till i run
    bonsoir
    im getting off the net and listening to music
    now..

The distance from Earth to Neptune is 2.7 billion miles. If you traveled at a 1/4 million (250,000) mph it would take 1 year, 2.5 months to get there. Traveling at the speed of light (671 million mph) would take just over 4 hours.

If you circled the earth at the equator 108,430 times, you'll travel the same distance as Earth to Neptune.

And that's just our tiny little solar system, in a tiny little galaxy, in a tiny little cluster, in a tiny little super cluster, amongst many voids vast beyonf comprehension, of the known/visible universe.

Cool things to think about!

We're all made of this shit.

Star dust. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The news becomes a box in my mind which becomes a radio in my mind which I throw off a high cliff in my mind. It's too much some times, ya know?

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'm reminded of A Day in the Life...I read the news today, oh boy. Fits in a sad way.

So yeah, fuck it when it's overwhelming. We're fortunate we can turn it off or turn to something else.

Jingle All the Way, as silly as it is, is on now. Phil Hartman, man. Class act he was. Plus the soundtrack is pretty good.

(Sinbad, I could do without. Apologies to the Sinbad fans out there)
    Funny thing is, when I wrote that a few minutes ago I started thinking about Elvis Costello doing "Radio, Radio" on SNL in '77 and I got happy! :smile:

just woke up 30 mins ago
    from a good sleep
    what did you think about
    that..
    im going to go listen to music now..
    JWPearl said:

just woke up 30 mins ago
    from a good sleep
    what did you think about
    that..

This sounds more like something from a "Random Sleep II" thread! :lol:

Insomnia is my shadow!

• Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    hedonist said:

I'm reminded of A Day in the Life...I read the news today, oh boy. Fits in a sad way.

So yeah, fuck it when it's overwhelming. We're fortunate we can turn it off or turn to something else.

Jingle All the Way, as silly as it is, is on now. Phil Hartman, man. Class act he was. Plus the soundtrack is pretty good.

(Sinbad, I could do without. Apologies to the Sinbad fans out there)

A must watch, and I did last weekend. Also already watched; Home Alone, Christmas With The Kranks and The Holiday.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    brianlux said:

JWPearl said:

just woke up 30 mins ago
    from a good sleep
    what did you think about
    that..

This sounds more like something from a "Random Sleep II" thread! :lol:

Insomnia is my shadow!
    i know lol
    its me ive been sleeping funny hours lately
    bc i wake in the middle of the night
    perhaps bc its warm..
    will be listening to music in the morning when i wake up..
  • My phone turned into a brick last night. That's an expense I didn't need. But at least I can go back to an iPhone now.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810

My phone turned into a brick last night. That's an expense I didn't need. But at least I can go back to an iPhone now.

Noooooo! Don't do it.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    You've ha-a-a-a-d it with your neighbors!
    You've ha-a-a-a-d it with your shoes!
    You've ha-a-a-a-d it with your records!
    Go'dammit! You've had it,
    With you-ou-ou-ou-ou!

to look after others
    you must first look after
    yourself, otherwise if you
    are poorly your structure
    will fall apart and then you
    are no good to anybody
    and once you look after
    yourself the most important
    people come next...then
    the vast majority.. its alot
    to do and people wonder
    why you cant personally
    ''always'' stop terrorist attacks
    etc, bc we are looking at the
    bigger picture and we
    believe in the hope of ones
    life dead or alive.....
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    ha...missed Santa Clause by 1/2 hour....will have to watch it tmr.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    The flash/arrow crossover ep was much better this year.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    Don't mix with the devil or his people don't make yourself an enemy of lord bc it will be the devil monopolising politics in the end and I keep telling myself this and I kept on being warned bad is anyone greeting such kinds....
    of course some kids rules apply to us whom are slightly different...
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Posts: 2,144
    No snow and and temperatures on the plus side here is NOT a good thing people!
    I would love to spend one day as this man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_f0buRi2c
  • GillycwGillycw Posts: 524
    I just found out I'm pregnant!!! We aren't telling anyone yet as it's very early so I needed to tell someone. I'm happy but in a bit of shock as our son is 6 & I had resigned myself to the fact that there were would be no more babies. But here we are. Holy crap!!!! Wish me luck to hold on to my little peanut.
    Congratulations, Gilly!