Jenner Woman of the Year

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    JWPearl said:

disgusting
    i dont care if you have womanly attributes
    if it hangs God meant for you to be what
    functionally works properly a bloke!!!!!...

What's disgusting is this post.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

I don't think people care that Caitlyn is transgender, the question is why the hell does she deserve any award just because of it, especially any woman of the year type award. Should an award for woman of the year not go to someone like Malala Yousafzai?? That would be way more deserved...

It's GLAMOUR MAGAZINE. A fucking fashion rag. Malala deserves better than that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    PJ_Soul said:

PP193448 said:

I don't think people care that Caitlyn is transgender, the question is why the hell does she deserve any award just because of it, especially any woman of the year type award. Should an award for woman of the year not go to someone like Malala Yousafzai?? That would be way more deserved...

Yeah. True. Who fuckng cares what Glamour puts out.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PP193448 said:

Yeah. True. Who fuckng cares what Glamour puts out.
    Bigots seem to care a LOT all of a sudden. That's why I'm interested in the story in the first place.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited November 2015

If a man becomes a transgender woman can he/she then compete against women in athletic competitions?

See MMA fighter Fallon Fox
    A Medical And Scientific Analysis of Transgender MMA Fighters. Do They Have an Advantage?
    http://fightmedicine.net/uncategorized/a-medical-and-scientific-analysis-of-transgender-mma-fighters-do-they-have-an-advantage
    The key question is whether Fox, being born a male, has a distinct physical advantage over her genetically female opponents. A cornerstone of muscle physiology is that a muscle strength, or the force it can generate, is directly proportional to its cross sectional area. In other words, bigger muscles can generate stronger forces. Therefore, if Fox had bigger muscles, than theoretically she would be able to generate more force than her opponents. This concept, however, simplifies the biologic make-up of a gender-specific muscle. It’s not just a question of muscle size, but also composition.

A simple equation in physics in Force = Mass x Acceleration. More specifically, the lean muscle mass a person has theoretically can determine how much force and damage they can inflict on their opponent. Genetic males tend to have higher amounts of lean muscle mass, less fat, and more dense bones than their genetic female counterparts. So, if Fox was born a male, then she should be bringing those tools with her into the fight. However, a major part of gender re-assignment surgery is not just the physical act of the surgery itself, but also subsequent hormonal therapy. The effects of this hormonal therapy helps the transgendered male–>female person look more female. In the process, lean muscle mass decreases; total body and muscle fat increases, and bone density decreases. This has been studied in male–>female transgender individuals compared to male controls. After treatment, all of these things the transgender females have less lean muscle mass, more fat, and thinner bones than their male controls. This, however, has not been studied against female controls. The reason being is that medical doctors are performing these studies, not to compare the transgender patients to females, but to study if the hormonal therapy can lead to diseases such as osteoporosis, or thin bones.

Before the 2004 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee ruled that transgendered athletes may compete as their re-assigned gender provided they have undergone hormonal therapy for more than 2 years, or the surgery occurred before puberty. The Transgender Athlete Policy has also been adopted by the World Tennis Association, LGPA/PGA and U.S. Track and Field.
    You have seen to leave out an important portion of the document.

However, what is clear is that transgender individuals that underwent surgery after puberty will retain some male features, such as increased height. Male–>Female transgender patients tend to retain more muscle mass than female–>male transgender patients gain, suggesting that some gender-specific attributes remain. Whether effects such as height will prove beneficial in MMA like they do in other sports such as basketball remains to be seen. Another question is if the fighter is completely transgendered. Taking estrogens without castration will leak out testosterone that can maintain muscle mass. Furthermore, how much estrogen is being taken? If it’s not enough, then muscle strength can be closer to male levels.
    Fair enough, my mistake...I didnt' read the whole thing - was just providing an example for the question you asked. Not really pushing an agenda here as it's not something I'm exactly 'up' on.
    Honestly, I hate anything that gives that family publicity. And I hate that we give it to them by bitching about it. I'm all for equality and awareness, but I never heard a word about Jenner from the end of Battle of the Network Stars until probably a year or two after the K girls became famous and I decided to look into who they were and why they were always in my face. I still don't understand why anyone gives a fuck about them or any other reality star.
  • Options
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    FWIW, I read the other day that there will soon be an app that will filter out all references to the Kardashians (including Jenner) across all of your social media and news apps.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:

FWIW, I read the other day that there will soon be an app that will filter out all references to the Kardashians (including Jenner) across all of your social media and news apps.

:lol: I saw that too....god bless science :wink:
  • Options
    Why is it important? It is important to me as a father of two daughters who gets pushed in the spotlight for an award. When there are far more important woman who should be celebrated. I know it is my wife's and my job to teach them, but when garbage like this is spewed around I think it is important to debate the veracity of it. I really just wanted to talk about something else other than ISIL, politics and terrorism, which can be considered one topic. I felt that there is a good mixture of opinions on AMT and wanted to read what people had to say.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Well, at least the editors got their heads out of their asses that year...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Oh, haha. Well.... she also won the Nobel peace prize, right? Either way, I think she's been suitably honoured. ;)
  • Options

Why is it important? It is important to me as a father of two daughters who gets pushed in the spotlight for an award. When there are far more important woman who should be celebrated. I know it is my wife's and my job to teach them, but when garbage like this is spewed around I think it is important to debate the veracity of it. I really just wanted to talk about something else other than ISIL, politics and terrorism, which can be considered one topic. I felt that there is a good mixture of opinions on AMT and wanted to read what people had to say.

It's a dumb fashion mag award... but still, awarding someone for coming out publicly as transgendered at the age of 65 (a person who has spent the past year visiting transgendered youth and their families trying to help them work through the difficulties of being transgendered in a world that basically HATES them) doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me. An award that has previously been given to Britney Spears. Dirtie_Frank, were you not concerned when your kids saw that people like Selena Gomez and Britney Spears were winning woman of the year from Glamour Magazine? Why are you concerned now about Jenner, who actually is working to help people who are struggling?
  • Options
    I am concerned about all this publicity bullshit of morons that are thrown into the public eye. I know there is no way of getting around it unless I cut my family off from the real word. I am not only concerned about Jenner, but all the media whores out there. I still will never call this person a hero.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options

I am concerned about all this publicity bullshit of morons that are thrown into the public eye. I know there is no way of getting around it unless I cut my family off from the real word. I am not only concerned about Jenner, but all the media whores out there. I still will never call this person a hero.

No need for anyone to call her a hero. But I also don't see the need to dismiss the good work she IS actually doing, as though it's worthless.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893

JWPearl said:

disgusting

So God meant for them to be transgender right?
    perhaps it is so
    romans 1;18-32
    i dont pat on the back
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,873
    JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

disgusting

perhaps it is so
    romans 1;18-32
    i dont pat on the back
    "Men committed shameful acts with other men"

Can anyone confirm that these men were listening to Creed?
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    edited November 2015

JWPearl said:

JWPearl said:

disgusting

perhaps it is so
    romans 1;18-32
    i dont pat on the back
    "Men committed shameful acts with other men"

Can anyone confirm that these men were listening to Creed?
    Oh geez. Do we really have to start considering fucking Bible quotes here in any case? It's such a useless sidetrack. We may as well be discussing Beverly Cleary or something.
  • Options
    Funny stuff right there. Bible??
  • Options
    Oh good. I was hoping that this place didn't get any less stacked with homophobic a-holes.

You know... just once in my life... it would be nice to feel like I was part of the majority so I could shit all over everyone who was in any way remotely different. Might be fun.

Maybe one of you can tell me.
  • Options
    For the record.... Caitlyn Jenner is still a complete asshole.

She's still a selfish, ultra-rich, clueless Republican fuck head.

She's still a desperate attention whore. She's still a sociopathic reality show "star."

She's still a pampered rich jerk who hasn't had to work for much of anything since the 70s.

But she IS a woman.

Is she woman of the year? No. She's not. She hasn't championed a single women's issue, she doesn't support women's rights and in fact votes against women's rights since, not having to worry about being raped and forced to carry her rapist's child... will vote for a bigger tax cut for herself and will blame poor people for being poor. The gay community hates her. She's a useless, selfish Republican and doesn't deserve "Woman Of The Year."

But... she IS a woman.
  • Options
    And yes... if you didn't care about the Cosmo Magazine Woman Of The Year award until 3 days ago... but you REALLY do now... you're probably an a-hole, too.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    POD summed everything up nicely for me.
  • Options
    I have a tough time believing that a majority of women agree that she is a woman of the year.
    Although maybe she was onto something in sharing her grief of picking out an outfit daily that resonates with all women.
  • Options

I have a tough time believing that a majority of women agree that she is a woman of the year.
    Although maybe she was onto something in sharing her grief of picking out an outfit daily that resonates with all women.

Ok so... the "Majority Of Women" probably don't give a shit who Glamour Magazine chooses for their "women of the year" any more than I care about who Rap Weekly chooses as their Man Of The Year. I think the majority of women are more worried about real issues than that.

Why do YOU care so much?
  • Options

Ok so... the "Majority Of Women" probably don't give a shit who Glamour Magazine chooses for their "women of the year" any more than I care about who Rap Weekly chooses as their Man Of The Year. I think the majority of women are more worried about real issues than that.

Why do YOU care so much?
    It's not that I care so much it's that there is no real opposition to this award amongst women publicly which would lead one to believe that it is not even worth giving a platform to.
  • Options

It's not that I care so much it's that there is no real opposition to this award amongst women publicly which would lead one to believe that it is not even worth giving a platform to.

and yet... here you are giving it a platform.
  • Options

and yet... here you are giving it a platform.
    nah...just posting a thought in a thread.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    POD back around good to read ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Why do YOU care so much?
    Not speaking for anyone else, but just in case I wasn't clear, as a woman, I don't give a fuck about who is Glamour's woman of the year. I'm just struck by the fact that other people are upset about it.

And FWIW, I don't like Jenner (i remember thinking how unlikeable she seemed during that big coming out interview. And she was a great Olympic athlete when she was a he). But as a straight person who cares about acceptance of transgendered people, I think she is actually doing much more good than harm for them, no matter what the gay community thinks. Love her or hate her, I still think her presence in pop culture (or whatever want to call it), combined with her current focus on the issue, will advance general acceptance of transgendered people and the issues they deal with.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options

For the record.... Caitlyn Jenner is still a complete asshole.

She's still a selfish, ultra-rich, clueless Republican fuck head.

She's still a desperate attention whore. She's still a sociopathic reality show "star."

She's still a pampered rich jerk who hasn't had to work for much of anything since the 70s.

But she IS a woman.

Is she woman of the year? No. She's not. She hasn't championed a single women's issue, she doesn't support women's rights and in fact votes against women's rights since, not having to worry about being raped and forced to carry her rapist's child... will vote for a bigger tax cut for herself and will blame poor people for being poor. The gay community hates her. She's a useless, selfish Republican and doesn't deserve "Woman Of The Year."

But... she IS a woman.

When he can carry a baby then he will indeed be a woman.