Options

Jenner Woman of the Year

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited November 2015

I'll admit that I couldn't tell you who Glamour chose as Woman of the Year last year (or any other year), so Caitlyn definitely has people talking and learning. When people learn, it's a good thing.

You bring up a good point.
    No one gave a fuck who was chosen before.... now all of sudden people care? That suggests something to me.
    Do people even know who else has held the spot in past years?? People like Christina Aguilera, Victoria Beckham, Lady Gaga, Selena Fucking Gomez FFS. And NOW people are complaining, when the person chosen is making a concerted effort towards equality and acceptance for people who struggle but happens to be transgendered?? What a load of crap.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll admit that I couldn't tell you who Glamour chose as Woman of the Year last year (or any other year), so Caitlyn definitely has people talking and learning. When people learn, it's a good thing.

No one gave a fuck who was chosen before.... now all of sudden people care? That suggests something to me.
    Do people even know who else has held the spot in past years?? People like Christina Aguilera, Victoria Beckham, Lady Gaga, Selena Fucking Gomez FFS. And NOW people are complaining, when the person chosen is making a concerted effort towards equality and acceptance for people who struggle but happens to be transgendered?? What a load of crap.
    I think it speaks more to the deliberate attempt at garnering publicity.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

On Jenner's part? She has had publicity for decades as a man. It only started really bothering people when she came out as transgendered.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

On Jenner's part? She has had publicity for decades as a man. It only started really bothering people when she came out as transgendered.
    On the magazine's part.

And for the record... I'm not bothered. Each to their own- provided they aren't impacting others in a negative way.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

On the magazine's part.

And for the record... I'm not bothered. Each to their own- provided they aren't impacting others in a negative way.
    Well, the magazine is just chugging along doing what any magazine is supposed to do I guess.
    I think Jenner being their Woman of the Year is one of the few times they actually picked someone for a decent reason. That doesn't change the fact that people are suddenly getting mad about the choice just because it's a transgendered person. I think it's a great example of why people like Jenner actually need to remain in the spotlight. It's not like Joe-Schmoe-Transgendered from Queens or Little Rock is going to be able to turn this important issue into something people are actually talking about and debating. But still people complain that Jenner is famous, blah blah. Errrr..... makes no sense, you know? It often takes a famous person to bring issues that need attention to the forefront. There are TONS of examples of this.... No one minded until it was a transgendered person. It just pissed me off. Some actually believe that she did it as a publicity stunt. Became a woman for publicity. I mean fuck. Come on.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:

That is a good point about why everyone is so pissed about this now. When I made my initial comment on this thread I had no idea it was a "Glamour" Women of the year award. It all makes a lot more sense now.

I am as progressive as they come and am very happy with the great strides forward lately with the acceptance of trans-gendered people.

I had never heard of Bruce Jenner before she identified as Caitlyn. All I have to go by is some of the dumb shit I've heard her say since. I'm not going to track down all the dumb shit she has said but I will leave you with this.

http://www.newnownext.com/caitlyn-jenner-im-voting-republican-in-2016/11/2015/
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Lol, hey, I never said that she's perfect! ;) I just support her because she is working to bring attention and acceptance to the transgendered community with a focus on youth, and it's working (fwiw, the people in that community who have their knickers in a knot over her advocating for them are very short-sighted IMO). I'm not about to stand up and defend every little thing she says. I do think that a transgenedered person voting Republican is ridiculous... But then, I think any woman voting Republican is pretty ridiculous too, so..... That doesn't change anything that I've said on the subject so far.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

how bout this guy?
    chris beck/kristin beck
    former navy seal
    he's a badass
    & 240 times more likeable than bruce
    bruce is a attention seeking pain in the ass
    this dude eats olympians for breakfast, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    You just proved my point Chadwick. Jenner is useful because of her fame. I'm sure this guy you posted about could be or is a great spokesperson, but obviously his lack of fame hasn't taken his message far enough. That fact that fame is often required in order for a cause to be advance does not say anything bad about Caitlyn Jenner. It says something bad about society. Maybe someday society will see the light. Meanwhile, causes need people like Jenner.
  • Options
    Why couldn't it be an award for "Transgender of the Year" instead?
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977

That's interesting. Do transgendered individuals want to be recognized as part of the gender they identify as or do they want to be recognized as being transgendered?

I seem to recall a push for some institutions to install facilities to accommodate transgendered individuals.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    woman of the year ???? HAHHAHHAHHAHA !!!!!!! he's a male ....but not a man by any means anymore.

Godfather.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    disgusting
    i dont care if you have womanly attributes
    if it hangs God meant for you to be what
    functionally works properly a bloke!!!!!...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I saw a documentary several years ago that followed some transgender people over a span of a few years....it was really interesting.

I remember one of the couples consisted of a man that had transgendered to a woman and a woman that transgendered to a man. So basically they were man and woman before and after.

I'm for whatever makes people happy....life is too short to be unhappy and discriminated against.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    JWPearl said:

disgusting

So God meant for them to be transgender right?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    JWPearl said:

disgusting

I never understand some people's extreme level of fear, hate, and ignorance
  • Options

JWPearl said:

disgusting

Can you clarify what you mean by ignorance?

Ignorance like believing in things like Santa Claus, fairies, magical gods... or ignorance like looking down at other people?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    chadwick said:

im not gonna refer to him as she or caitlyn. he is bruce jenner

why? my real name isn't Hugh but you call me that.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Maybe they should make a new category. Transgender of the year.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

JWPearl said:

disgusting

So God meant for them to be transgender right?
    BAZINGA

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2015

JWPearl said:

disgusting

Can you clarify what you mean by ignorance?

Ignorance like believing in things like Santa Claus, fairies, magical gods... or ignorance like looking down at other people?
    Ignorance of a lot of things like facts and changes in the world and society
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    If a man becomes a transgender woman can he/she then compete against women in athletic competitions?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    She killed someone this year. Regardless of being a man or woman they gave an award for woman of the year to someone that killed someone this year. Whats next, Jared Fogle for father of the year.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

She killed someone this year. Regardless of being a man or woman they gave an award for woman of the year to someone that killed someone this year. Whats next, Jared Fogle for father of the year.

It was an accident.
    The roads were wet and he (at the time he was still "he") was driving under the posted speed limit.

• Options

I just read this.

Racing along the free way with her long hair flowing away in her convertible... she crashed into a car and sent it into the oncoming lane where the woman died in a head on (and who's estate is now being sued for over 18 million... only in America!).

It's official... Bruce is an idiot.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

If a man becomes a transgender woman can he/she then compete against women in athletic competitions?

See MMA fighter Fallon Fox
    A Medical And Scientific Analysis of Transgender MMA Fighters. Do They Have an Advantage?
    http://fightmedicine.net/uncategorized/a-medical-and-scientific-analysis-of-transgender-mma-fighters-do-they-have-an-advantage
    The key question is whether Fox, being born a male, has a distinct physical advantage over her genetically female opponents. A cornerstone of muscle physiology is that a muscle strength, or the force it can generate, is directly proportional to its cross sectional area. In other words, bigger muscles can generate stronger forces. Therefore, if Fox had bigger muscles, than theoretically she would be able to generate more force than her opponents. This concept, however, simplifies the biologic make-up of a gender-specific muscle. It’s not just a question of muscle size, but also composition.

A simple equation in physics in Force = Mass x Acceleration. More specifically, the lean muscle mass a person has theoretically can determine how much force and damage they can inflict on their opponent. Genetic males tend to have higher amounts of lean muscle mass, less fat, and more dense bones than their genetic female counterparts. So, if Fox was born a male, then she should be bringing those tools with her into the fight. However, a major part of gender re-assignment surgery is not just the physical act of the surgery itself, but also subsequent hormonal therapy. The effects of this hormonal therapy helps the transgendered male–>female person look more female. In the process, lean muscle mass decreases; total body and muscle fat increases, and bone density decreases. This has been studied in male–>female transgender individuals compared to male controls. After treatment, all of these things the transgender females have less lean muscle mass, more fat, and thinner bones than their male controls. This, however, has not been studied against female controls. The reason being is that medical doctors are performing these studies, not to compare the transgender patients to females, but to study if the hormonal therapy can lead to diseases such as osteoporosis, or thin bones.

Before the 2004 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee ruled that transgendered athletes may compete as their re-assigned gender provided they have undergone hormonal therapy for more than 2 years, or the surgery occurred before puberty. The Transgender Athlete Policy has also been adopted by the World Tennis Association, LGPA/PGA and U.S. Track and Field.
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited November 2015

It was an accident.
    The roads were wet and he (at the time he was still "he") was driving under the posted speed limit.

Sheriffs office wanted her charged with manslaughter. DA declined to prosecute. Plus regardless of the end result she killed someone. Not murder, but killed because of her actions yes.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    edited November 2015

See MMA fighter Fallon Fox
    A Medical And Scientific Analysis of Transgender MMA Fighters. Do They Have an Advantage?
    http://fightmedicine.net/uncategorized/a-medical-and-scientific-analysis-of-transgender-mma-fighters-do-they-have-an-advantage
    The key question is whether Fox, being born a male, has a distinct physical advantage over her genetically female opponents. A cornerstone of muscle physiology is that a muscle strength, or the force it can generate, is directly proportional to its cross sectional area. In other words, bigger muscles can generate stronger forces. Therefore, if Fox had bigger muscles, than theoretically she would be able to generate more force than her opponents. This concept, however, simplifies the biologic make-up of a gender-specific muscle. It’s not just a question of muscle size, but also composition.

A simple equation in physics in Force = Mass x Acceleration. More specifically, the lean muscle mass a person has theoretically can determine how much force and damage they can inflict on their opponent. Genetic males tend to have higher amounts of lean muscle mass, less fat, and more dense bones than their genetic female counterparts. So, if Fox was born a male, then she should be bringing those tools with her into the fight. However, a major part of gender re-assignment surgery is not just the physical act of the surgery itself, but also subsequent hormonal therapy. The effects of this hormonal therapy helps the transgendered male–>female person look more female. In the process, lean muscle mass decreases; total body and muscle fat increases, and bone density decreases. This has been studied in male–>female transgender individuals compared to male controls. After treatment, all of these things the transgender females have less lean muscle mass, more fat, and thinner bones than their male controls. This, however, has not been studied against female controls. The reason being is that medical doctors are performing these studies, not to compare the transgender patients to females, but to study if the hormonal therapy can lead to diseases such as osteoporosis, or thin bones.

Before the 2004 Olympic Games, the International Olympic Committee ruled that transgendered athletes may compete as their re-assigned gender provided they have undergone hormonal therapy for more than 2 years, or the surgery occurred before puberty. The Transgender Athlete Policy has also been adopted by the World Tennis Association, LGPA/PGA and U.S. Track and Field.
    You have seen to leave out an important portion of the document.

However, what is clear is that transgender individuals that underwent surgery after puberty will retain some male features, such as increased height. Male–>Female transgender patients tend to retain more muscle mass than female–>male transgender patients gain, suggesting that some gender-specific attributes remain. Whether effects such as height will prove beneficial in MMA like they do in other sports such as basketball remains to be seen. Another question is if the fighter is completely transgendered. Taking estrogens without castration will leak out testosterone that can maintain muscle mass. Furthermore, how much estrogen is being taken? If it’s not enough, then muscle strength can be closer to male levels.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I don't think people care that Caitlyn is transgender, the question is why the hell does she deserve any award just because of it, especially any woman of the year type award. Should an award for woman of the year not go to someone like Malala Yousafzai?? That would be way more deserved...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    dudeman said:

That's interesting. Do transgendered individuals want to be recognized as part of the gender they identify as or do they want to be recognized as being transgendered?

I seem to recall a push for some institutions to install facilities to accommodate transgendered individuals.
    I don't know about all of them, but I know many of them just want to be considered women once they've transitioned or are in the process of transitioning. They feel like MEN or WOMEN (in the wrong bodies until they've transitioned), not like some third gender.