Options

Paris Attacks

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    ldent42 said:

TNG is on right now on BBC America PJSoul.

One of my faves! The whole series in on Netflix. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    So the signing of the condolence book ends today here before they are shipped off to the consulate in Paris.
    What do you think they will do with the book?
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859

So the signing of the condolence book ends today here before they are shipped off to the consulate in Paris.
    What do you think they will do with the book?

I think it'll be put on a display in the consulate.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

But it's a good point. I don't actually find it funny. This whole issue is absolutely 100% infuriating to me.

Agree with the infuriating as well though for it is a world war and people refuse to recognize...it has been for years. An enemy has engaged globally but we have yet decided to fully label the enemy or respond appropriately. Gunmen have just taken 170 hostages in Mali, American teenager killed in Israel yesterday along with four others, all this on top of the countless number of attacks that began on a regular basis since before this message board even existed. It is time for people on here to wake up to this fact. Until then it is impossible to even discuss solutions.
    Although the Mali attack appears to be Al-Qaeda, not ISIS.
    It's the ideology and not the group we're at war with.
    Exactly, and you can't win a war with ideology with guns and bombs.

Yes you can
    Didn't work too well in Afghanistan. Or Vietnam.
    Yet it worked extremely well in Germany and Japan so go figure. It is about a commitment to winning and staying to secure the peace. Peace was secured in Iraq but then came withdrawal. If troops stayed ISIS would be on the ropes. This is dubbed the long war for a reason. A commitment to stay is necessary.
    So you would be ok for troops to be there for like the next what 50 yrs cause maybe by then you would change their ideology ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

But it's a good point. I don't actually find it funny. This whole issue is absolutely 100% infuriating to me.

Agree with the infuriating as well though for it is a world war and people refuse to recognize...it has been for years. An enemy has engaged globally but we have yet decided to fully label the enemy or respond appropriately. Gunmen have just taken 170 hostages in Mali, American teenager killed in Israel yesterday along with four others, all this on top of the countless number of attacks that began on a regular basis since before this message board even existed. It is time for people on here to wake up to this fact. Until then it is impossible to even discuss solutions.

Yes you can
    Yet it worked extremely well in Germany and Japan so go figure. It is about a commitment to winning and staying to secure the peace. Peace was secured in Iraq but then came withdrawal. If troops stayed ISIS would be on the ropes. This is dubbed the long war for a reason. A commitment to stay is necessary.
    So you would be ok for troops to be there for like the next what 50 yrs cause maybe by then you would change their ideology ....
    i.e. south korea ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

dignin said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes you can
    Peace was never secured in Iraq. Saddam lost but peace was never gained. I would even argue that there became less peace in the country with the fall of Saddam.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

ask the families of isis or the so called radical muslim victims about fear...they live in fear and you really can't even begin to understand what fear is, not many of us at all can truly understand what fear is but until we do some Americans will welcome anybody just like France and Belgium did, the US is paying for it's open border policy but people who don't pay attention ignore it's warning signs and welcome terrorism with open arms, how much worse dose the situation with muslim attacks have to get before people open their eye's in America ?

Godfather.

honestly, anyone that worries about syrian refugees coming to the US needs to educate themselves on exactly what those refugees go through to get the green light. do you know the screening process? I'm guessing you don't. read this:

http://time.com/4116619/syrian-refugees-screening-process/

great read but it minimizes the facts that are refugee problems, for instance the two boys involved in the Boston bombing were refugees, this doesn't mean they were first timers in terrorism only that it was the first time they were caught.
    if you listen to the muslim fighters on video and news they talk about taking over the world, now as stupid as that sounds this small percentage of muslims is actually in the millions and somehow they make their way into countries across the world and many as refugees, how did the muslims involved in 9/11 inter the US ? and even go to flight schools in the US and Canada ?......there is a problem here and some people just don't want to see it and refuse to believe it but it's right here in our faces and the old saying "wake up America" is a very true statement today.

Godfather.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547

ask the families of isis or the so called radical muslim victims about fear...they live in fear and you really can't even begin to understand what fear is, not many of us at all can truly understand what fear is but until we do some Americans will welcome anybody just like France and Belgium did, the US is paying for it's open border policy but people who don't pay attention ignore it's warning signs and welcome terrorism with open arms, how much worse dose the situation with muslim attacks have to get before people open their eye's in America ?

Godfather.

honestly, anyone that worries about syrian refugees coming to the US needs to educate themselves on exactly what those refugees go through to get the green light. do you know the screening process? I'm guessing you don't. read this:

great read but it minimizes the facts that are refugee problems, for instance the two boys involved in the Boston bombing were refugees, this doesn't mean they were first timers in terrorism only that it was the first time they were caught.
    if you listen to the muslim fighters on video and news they talk about taking over the world, now as stupid as that sounds this small percentage of muslims is actually in the millions and somehow they make their way into countries across the world and many as refugees, how did the muslims involved in 9/11 inter the US ? and even go to flight schools in the US and Canada ?......there is a problem here and some people just don't want to see it and refuse to believe it but it's right here in our faces and the old saying "wake up America" is a very true statement today.

Godfather.

Here are some readily known facts......

The Boston bombers came to the U.S. as children with their family on tourist visas. It was only after they had been here awhile did their father apply for political asylum.

Very different than coming here as refugees.

There is a very distinct difference between asylum seekers and refugees.

Also there is NOT ONE recorded incident of a refugee coming to America and committing a terrorist act.

You asked how did the 9/11 attackers enter the U.S.?......

Only one of the 19 hijackers came to the U.S. on a student visa. The rest arrived here on tourist or business visas.

Facts are important.
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    yes facts are very important, so you just described 2 more ways that terrorist enter other countries.

Godfather.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

yes facts are very important, so you just described 2 more ways that terrorist enter other countries.

Godfather.

Two ways which have zero to do with refugees.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938

Godfather.

Godfather.

Here are some readily known facts......

The Boston bombers came to the U.S. as children with their family on tourist visas. It was only after they had been here awhile did their father apply for political asylum.

Very different than coming here as refugees.

There is a very distinct difference between asylum seekers and refugees.

Also there is NOT ONE recorded incident of a refugee coming to America and committing a terrorist act.

You asked how did the 9/11 attackers enter the U.S.?......

Only one of the 19 hijackers came to the U.S. on a student visa. The rest arrived here on tourist or business visas.

Facts are important.

Godfather.

So, to conclude, refugees aren't the problem - legitimate immigration is a much larger issue. We should therefore fortify our borders, like modern medieval empires, disallow travel, and ensure that the country one is born in, is the country one dies in. Your world sounds like a cheery place full of hope for the privileged and hopelessness for the less fortunate, Godfather.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    This is a message more people, especially Americans, need to see. There are more than one and a half BILLION Muslims in the world and the vast majority of them do not support violent terrorism.

Thanks for posting this, OMGkatwoman.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

Godfather.

Nice backpedal…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798

Godfather.

Nice backpedal…
    no, doubles down on the false premise that the refugees that would get approved to come here BEFORE they even leave Turkey(which is where I understand most of those who have applied are currently "living") are a definative threat as well as adding a long standing means and far easier way to gain entry with less stringent checks.

He cant show ANY refugee from there since this began is a terror suspect or actor.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I guess a lot of Americans feel the same way as I do: why do we have to compromise our safety to let even more refugees in, especially one's with possibly terrorist ties (even though it's the vast minority)? Why can't Muslim countries or any other country take these people in? Why does the United states always have to get involved with international problems when we have a plethora of domestic issues to solve? I.e. Thousands of homeless american vets yet we are going to provide housing and education for those emigrating to the united states from the middle east. I guess everyone has their breaking point and this seems to be it.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

I guess a lot of Americans feel the same way as I do: why do we have to compromise our safety to let even more refugees in, especially one's with possibly terrorist ties (even though it's the vast minority)? Why can't Muslim countries or any other country take these people in? Why does the United states always have to get involved with international problems when we have a plethora of domestic issues to solve? I.e. Thousands of homeless american vets yet we are going to provide housing and education for those emigrating to the united states from the middle east. I guess everyone has their breaking point and this seems to be it.

even more? 1800 people in the last 2 years. out of 5 million who left syria.

stop with the vets rhetoric. Congress has chosen something else in regards to their welfare. The people eleected to represent THEM and us have abdicated that responsibility for politics o get them re-elected. Some of those guys have washed their hands of the government to begin with. As wealthy a nation as this one is, we can certainly do both.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

stop with the vets rhetoric. Congress has chosen something else in regards to their welfare. The people eleected to represent THEM and us have abdicated that responsibility for politics o get them re-elected. Some of those guys have washed their hands of the government to begin with. As wealthy a nation as this one is, we can certainly do both.
    1800 in the last 2 years but that was before paris; the game has now changed. kind of like pre and post 9/11.
    so if congress was elected by them then you are ok with the recent vote regarding syrian refugees?
    forget vets rhetoric; we have a host of other problems in this country. why can't someone else pick up the slack and let us address our own issues.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    mcgruff10 said:

While I don't agree with this sentiment on the whole, there is a good nugget in there about wealthy countries like Qatar and the UAE having an obligation to participate in the resettlement of these refugees. I'd read somewhere that the wealthy gulf states actually have the most donations to charities to help the refugees (I don't have the link/source on that it was something I'd read in passing on this subject weeks ago).
    The issue is a messy, complicated one. Those countries aren't signed on to the UDHR or something and they've got huge migrant workforce populations that would qualify as refugees by the UN definition.
    But yea they need to figure some shit out cuz it's absolutely ludicrous that those people have to flee to western countries when there's a whole little swath of wealthy states that are just refusing to participate in this resettlement process.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

1800 in the last 2 years but that was before paris; the game has now changed. kind of like pre and post 9/11.
    so if congress was elected by them then you are ok with the recent vote regarding syrian refugees?
    forget vets rhetoric; we have a host of other problems in this country. why can't someone else pick up the slack and let us address our own issues.
    No I am not ok with this vote. I have yet to see even one come forward and shout from the rooftops what is actually in place , instead we get rhetoric designed to re-elect and inches us closer to a totalitarian style state. Not just no, but go fuck yourself congress no.

Listen FIRST to those we rely on and consider our experts in the field. Tweak or change as needed after that.

any that wish to do us harm HERE are ALREADY HERE. What we enjoy here has its risk associated with it. we rely on out follow citizens to follow certain social norms as well as the riule of law which this nation was founded upon.

after cracks in the system were made known in 2010 , effective changes were made to vet to the best of our ability. As things present tweaks will surely be made. IF we are the morally supreior nation we make our selcves out to be and the leader of the free world we say we are, then we MUST lead by example and deed. period.

every time I start my truck and release the brakes , the public at large expects certain things from me. I expect certain things from the public. The public FAILS every fucking day. I still do what I do to the best of my ability in the face of that. I dont hide and say no, that freight aint going there cuz I cant be sure the public will treat me fairly.

there is no freedom without risk. plain and simple.

you keep them that are cleared out? Then every fucking white guy trying to buy any weapon needs to be stopped from doing so. Cuz we cant garauntee they wont flip out and massacre innocents.

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855
    mickeyrat said:

you keep them that are cleared out? Then every fucking white guy trying to buy any weapon needs to be stopped from doing so. Cuz we cant garauntee they wont flip out and massacre innocents.

Yes, yes, yes.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Godfather.

Godfather.

http://www.snopes.com/tsarnaev-refugees/

While it's true the Tsarnaev brothers were not infrequently described as "refugees" in media accounts, their resemblance to the flood of asylum seekers from Syria was passing at best. Like the Tsarnaevs, many Syrian refugees are Muslims, and many have endured seemingly endless war, death, and destruction in their homeland. The suspected attackers in Paris also had traits in common with the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: the younger Tsarnaev was a naturalized American citizen, and several of the identified attackers in Paris were French nationals.

But the "refugee" question is largely semantic in nature when applied to the Tsarnaevs, with respect to whether current refugees present a homegrown terrorist threat. Given that the Tsarnaev family arrived in the United States as vacation-goers, their tourist visas were unlikely to trigger initial asylum-seeker-type screening (to which Syrian refugees are subject). Clamping down on the admission of refugees would not affect individuals like the Tsarnaev family, who entered the U.S. with a stated intent of leisure travel.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

No I am not ok with this vote. I have yet to see even one come forward and shout from the rooftops what is actually in place , instead we get rhetoric designed to re-elect and inches us closer to a totalitarian style state. Not just no, but go fuck yourself congress no.

Listen FIRST to those we rely on and consider our experts in the field. Tweak or change as needed after that.

any that wish to do us harm HERE are ALREADY HERE. What we enjoy here has its risk associated with it. we rely on out follow citizens to follow certain social norms as well as the riule of law which this nation was founded upon.

after cracks in the system were made known in 2010 , effective changes were made to vet to the best of our ability. As things present tweaks will surely be made. IF we are the morally supreior nation we make our selcves out to be and the leader of the free world we say we are, then we MUST lead by example and deed. period.

every time I start my truck and release the brakes , the public at large expects certain things from me. I expect certain things from the public. The public FAILS every fucking day. I still do what I do to the best of my ability in the face of that. I dont hide and say no, that freight aint going there cuz I cant be sure the public will treat me fairly.

why do anti gunners always conveniently bring up gun control in times of crisis? give me a freaking break. the big difference is we are talking about american citizens, not possible terrorists that have absolutely zero reason to be here except to cause harm to the united states.
    there is no freedom without risk. plain and simple. right? then please apply that to the 2nd amendment and then have an intelligent conversation without bring up every fucking white guy trying to buy any weapon.
    it seems like the majority of americans don't want these refugees here; your argument is we are morally superior. why do we have to be morally superior? let another country take the reigns for once.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

why do anti gunners always conveniently bring up gun control in times of crisis? give me a freaking break. the big difference is we are talking about american citizens, not possible terrorists that have absolutely zero reason to be here except to cause harm to the united states.
    there is no freedom without risk. plain and simple. right? then please apply that to the 2nd amendment and then have an intelligent conversation without bring up every fucking white guy trying to buy any weapon.
    it seems like the majority of americans don't want these refugees here; your argument is we are morally superior. why do we have to be morally superior? let another country take the reigns for once.
    Yeah, you're right. the fact we arent actively engaged in war on this soil cant have a goddamned thing to do with wanting to come here.

You completely missed the point about the gun thing.

We helped create the fucking mess, we definately perpetuate the fucking mess , now we expect others to do the heavy lifting.

What part of European Nationals do you not get in the Paris attacks? NOT refugee. CITIZENS OF THE UNION!

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, you're right. the fact we arent actively engaged in war on this soil cant have a goddamned thing to do with wanting to come here.

We helped create the fucking mess, we definately perpetuate the fucking mess , now we expect others to do the heavy lifting.

What part of European Nationals do you not get in the Paris attacks? NOT refugee. CITIZENS OF THE UNION!
    From what I ve read Two of the attackers snuck in through Greece. Are you prepared to possibly let in more? Myself and I m guessing the majority of American Do not want these people here. Let countries like Saudi arabia, Egypt or Iran take them in.
    And I think we are doing plenty of heavy lifting in this case and many instances since ww1.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

From what I ve read Two of the attackers snuck in through Greece. Are you prepared to possibly let in more? Myself and I m guessing the majority of American Do not want these people here. Let countries like Saudi arabia, Egypt or Iran take them in.
    And I think we are doing plenty of heavy lifting in this case and many instances since ww1.
    Are you aware that the ones who are applying for legal passage and acceptance currently reside in camps in Turkey ?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

Are you aware that the ones who are applying for legal passage and acceptance currently reside in camps in Turkey ?
    who cares? last time I checked there aren't any non stop flights between syria and the us.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

You realize the majority of Americans don't want to take in 10,000 refugees....out of hundreds of thousands. Not even a drop in the bucket. Hardly taking the lead, Germany has that covered. Even Canada is taking in 25, 000 by the end of this year....as a start. That would equal the US taking in 250,000.

Taking in 10,000 is a joke, not taking in any is amoral.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    solve the problem
    move to australia
    not too much terrorism
    here theres more aussies
    and here gun laws are strict
    and they specifically
    search out for terrorists
    here even though we dont
    get any threats so its much
    safer and the refugees
    coming are getting screened
    to the max
  • Options
    dignin said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

mickeyrat said:

mcgruff10 said:

You realize the majority of Americans don't want to take in 10,000 refugees....out of hundreds of thousands. Not even a drop in the bucket. Hardly taking the lead, Germany has that covered. Even Canada is taking in 25, 000 by the end of this year....as a start. That would equal the US taking in 250,000.

Taking in 10,000 is a joke, not taking in any is amoral.
    I'm guessing germany is taking that many in because of geography. As of today (the last I read) the candadian plan isn't even approved yet. (maybe it has changed?)
    so again, why does the united states have to take in any? why can't other countries for once take the lead in something? I mean we are the number one country in the world when it comes to foreign aid and are the military leader against isis....let someone else take the reigns for once.