Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,424
    Obviously his finger was just saying “fuddle duddle”, right?

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7020144
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,316
    edited November 2023
    erebus said:
    Parksy said:
    There are (finally) legit enough talks about Trudeau possibly stepping down.  He's receiving at least luke warm pressure from within the Liberals. 

In general, do you think JT stepping down would help or hurt the liberals chances in the next election? 

I think it should help them, but I think so much depends on who replaces him.
    I think it would help. Next election does not have to be called until October 2025. Put in a new leader  like the cons did with Kim Campbell. 
    Not sure who it would be, the bench is not deep.
    Personally I think both the Libs and Cons could do with better leaders. 

Lol, Kim Campbell was the sacrificial lamb because the party believed they had no chance to win.  What's the point of replacing Trudeau with a sacrificial lamb?

Who do the Libs have that might shift them a bit back to centre and could get votes, so maybe they could spend the next year rebuilding a bit.

I was about to say it's pretty rare for a PM to get replace before an election, but it wasn't that long ago Cretien got ousted and replace with Martin, which was kind of the end of that era of the Libs.  Martin won a minority government which last for a bit, that was about it.  That was also an odd move to replace a PM that seemed to be doing fine, and had won 3 elections in a row with majority governments.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    It’s sad that foreign governments have more credibility than my own, but the Trudeau Liberals’ record is what it is (Chinese influence, for one). Certainly here in Toronto it feels like something is imminent, though Montreal may be the more likely flashpoint.

https://nationalpost.com/news/uk-travel-terror-attack-canada

• Options
    From the “what’s good for the goose” column, lol, it is pretty silly what we’re seeing out of our governing party these days.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/trudeau-votes-against-more-guns-for-ukraine-is-he-pro-putin

• Options
    This really is unfortunate, from what little I’d seen he seemed to be fairly reasonable as Speaker. If it truly was a personal message then deliver it personally given his current job. Again, do these Trudeau Liberals have an ounce of judgment or shame?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/greg-fergus-aplogizes-video-ontario-convention-1.7048547

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Seems to me that we should also investigate every video produced by every MP, unless this is just an attempt at a gotcha by the NDP.

Fergus is a different conundrum obviously because of the nonpartisan nature of the Speaker’s position.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-video-green-ethics-1.7059926

Edit: The article includes a claim by the Conservatives that Trudeau did the same thing that Scheer is being discredited over. Will he be asked by the NDP to appear before the committee as well?
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    If it weren’t troubling it would be adorable how the CBC allows comments on this story but not for the story about renaming Dundas Square (which is being done based on disinformation). It is developing as a pattern for our (primarily) state-funded broadcaster, commenting is allowed on articles knocking the Conservatives but rarely on any government announcements.

Even worse in the article is a statement made that could equally be said about Dundas Square, all said and written without a single hint of irony.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rob-ford-stadium-1.7060913

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Why in fuck was this man not arrested after his first threat? No wonder the gangs run rampant in Toronto if this is how the law is enforced.

Expecting nothing but crickets, lol.

https://apple.news/AG4eGxsgSSm-G5EkygTbrZQ

Edit: This column adds much more context to the incident, but that context doesn’t make this acceptable or, to use Justin’s church-burning word, “understandable”.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-this-isnt-gaza-its-toronto-where-it-is-unacceptable-to-threaten-to-kill-police

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,681
    Why in fuck was this man not arrested after his first threat? No wonder the gangs run rampant in Toronto if this is how the law is enforced.

Edit: This column adds much more context to the incident, but that context doesn’t make this acceptable or, to use Justin’s church-burning word, “understandable”.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-this-isnt-gaza-its-toronto-where-it-is-unacceptable-to-threaten-to-kill-police
    Admittedly, I grazed through the story as opposed to reading it thoroughly... but  I didn't see anywhere how Trudeau has anything to do with this. (?)

That said...  I personally agree with yours and the writer's sentiments... however, this to me is another case of picky choosy when it comes to stories like these. 

The bigger issue / story here is police enforcement. Cops are running scared right now... and we could discuss this issue for days and days, and in my opinion, it would get people nowhere. 

Why are they running scared? At the very core of that issue (and coppers will never admit it in my opinion) is that they are still under trained and under paid. Three things have happened in the last 10-15 years that has caused this:

1) most people in the public now walk around with a video camera in their pockets. 
    2) cops are no longer getting away with things they used to because of 1.
    3) holding police accountable while a good thing... has also been exploited by virtue signalers on the far left and main stream media that tend to cater to said left.  

When I used to train stuff like this, I would often say:  "What matters more nowadays, the court of law, or the court of public opinion?" 

If you're like me, you would want the court of law to matter more.  If you live in reality, you understand that the court of public opinion carries significant weight especially in North America. 

So yes, they are afraid, and that's not good. But it's not bad either in a sense. See the dilemma here? 

In this instance, what the writer is I guess trying to suggest is that the perps should have been arrested on site for committing a crime. That's WAY WAY WAY easier said than done especially from the comfort of his desk at home. 

Consider the shit storm that would occur if the police did in fact decide to affect an arrest in this instance. Under these circumstances, it's exactly what a group like that wants. If this situation didn't erupt into a full blown riot, then I would say the cops succeeded. 

Interestingly, and again I find myself in a moral dilemma with regards to policing, laws, and cultural identity.... one of the solutions to stuff like this is for our justice system to pivot from being one of rehabilitation (which is presently is) to punishment and deterrence (which it is not).  Comparing the two styles of justice.... I look at different cultures that have strict rules and you'll find those styles in countries that are generally considered oppressive. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy said:

Admittedly, I grazed through the story as opposed to reading it thoroughly... but  I didn't see anywhere how Trudeau has anything to do with this. (?)

That said...  I personally agree with yours and the writer's sentiments... however, this to me is another case of picky choosy when it comes to stories like these. 

The bigger issue / story here is police enforcement. Cops are running scared right now... and we could discuss this issue for days and days, and in my opinion, it would get people nowhere. 

Why are they running scared? At the very core of that issue (and coppers will never admit it in my opinion) is that they are still under trained and under paid. Three things have happened in the last 10-15 years that has caused this:

1) most people in the public now walk around with a video camera in their pockets. 
    2) cops are no longer getting away with things they used to because of 1.
    3) holding police accountable while a good thing... has also been exploited by virtue signalers on the far left and main stream media that tend to cater to said left.  

When I used to train stuff like this, I would often say:  "What matters more nowadays, the court of law, or the court of public opinion?" 

If you're like me, you would want the court of law to matter more.  If you live in reality, you understand that the court of public opinion carries significant weight especially in North America. 

So yes, they are afraid, and that's not good. But it's not bad either in a sense. See the dilemma here? 

In this instance, what the writer is I guess trying to suggest is that the perps should have been arrested on site for committing a crime. That's WAY WAY WAY easier said than done especially from the comfort of his desk at home. 

Consider the shit storm that would occur if the police did in fact decide to affect an arrest in this instance. Under these circumstances, it's exactly what a group like that wants. If this situation didn't erupt into a full blown riot, then I would say the cops succeeded. 

Interestingly, and again I find myself in a moral dilemma with regards to policing, laws, and cultural identity.... one of the solutions to stuff like this is for our justice system to pivot from being one of rehabilitation (which is presently is) to punishment and deterrence (which it is not).  Comparing the two styles of justice.... I look at different cultures that have strict rules and you'll find those styles in countries that are generally considered oppressive. 
    I agree with pretty much everything you said there, and in fairness to the cops I did see somewhere that they were significantly outnumbered among other tactical disadvantages. Toronto police do seem to be pretty good at the job so there is some hope for an arrest.

In terms of rehabilitative compared to punitive, I think our system actually does try to strike a balance between the two but unfortunately that means it doesn’t do either particularly well in addition to other systemic issues.

In this case I think a third aspect of justice kicks in as well, that it’s seen by the public to have been done.

Lastly, you’re right that Trudeau doesn’t have anything to do directly with this incident, I was making a bad joke about how he has directly downplayed actual crimes committed (as opposed to threatened in this instance) and forgot to include the lol. I really don’t think I ever implied any responsibility on Trudeau’s part, though his government’s statements on the war (especially of late) have been disappointing to me and could potentially embolden the group from this case (not sure if that’s for here or a Middle East thread).

• Options
    I get it now, God Themselves has cursed Justin with an excessive carbon footprint, there’s absolutely nothing Trudeau can do to reduce it (or the costs to the taxpayers for his relaxation). I no longer expect him (or any politician) to lead by example moving forward, I was being far too idealistic and naive to ask such of our so-called leaders.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-plane-jamaica-vacation-1.7075968

• Options
    edited January 9
    Regardless of one’s feelings about Rebel News, this really should be troubling to us all, especially in light of how many demonstrations are being treated with kid gloves (no immediate arrest for death threats, police bringing coffee to protesters).

I’m forced to wonder if this is fallout from the man who confronted Freeland in Edmonton(?) a couple years ago. There’s questions that need answering around yesterday’s incident.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/cops-ripped-for-arresting-reporter-trying-to-ask-chrystia-freeland-questions

Edit: This column adds some truly troubling context to the incident, namely that one of the RCMP officers may have been involved in a similar incident with the same reporter previously (not confirmed in the column, however). If true though, was this more of a case of a personal grudge?

https://torontosun.com/news/national/warmington-falsely-accused-of-assaulting-cop-reporter-has-elon-musk-on-his-side

• Options
    I’ll give them credit for running the story, and in future I will take a page out of Tasker’s book and refer to CBC’s reporters as “media personalities”. Newspeak at some of its finest, lol.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rebel-news-personality-arrested-1.7078566

• Options
    edited January 11
    Are we to assume that by her silence former journalist Chrystia Freeland condones the treatment of her former colleague on Monday? How would she have felt as a reporter if she encountered the same thing?

At least it’s being reported that the RCMP are looking into the matter. I don’t have much faith in self-policing policies but we’ll see what comes of this.

I’m with Rempel-Garner on this one, I’m not a fan of Menzie’s antics but he is still entitled to them as a member of the press. These cops have many questions to answer and we, the public deserve answers so as to restore (a little bit at least) faith in our law enforcement agencies.

Edit: This statement by the Independent Press Gallery seems relevant to this (non)discussion.

https://independentpressgallery.ca/2024/01/independent-press-gallery-condemns-arrest-of-journalist/

• Options
    From what I could tell....  under no circumstances should he have been arrested.  

It reminded me of a basketball player setting a pick.....  but in this case, the player who sets the pick then  screams foul. 

To your point Darth.. the fact that it's the police and an abuse of power, is worrisome. Hopefully justice prevails. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    From what I could tell....  under no circumstances should he have been arrested.  

It reminded me of a basketball player setting a pick.....  but in this case, the player who sets the pick then  screams foul. 

To your point Darth.. the fact that it's the police and an abuse of power, is worrisome. Hopefully justice prevails. 
    I’m genuinely concerned that this will be swept under the rug based on who it was the police assaulted. If that’s the case then, however, there should be no complaints when the pendulum swings and a “progressive” media personality is similarly accosted.

Time will tell.

• Options

• Options
    edited January 12
    In the interest of giving credit when it’s due (which, let’s all be honest, just means one agrees with the politician/whoever), I was happy when Trudeau actually answered a question more or less directly at his photo op today.

He was asked about the case being brought against Israel in the international court, and he clearly stated that the Canadian government rejects the premise of the case (I’m paraphrasing a bit). He followed up by saying that a formal statement would be forthcoming after Israel’s submission to the court was more closely considered. He could have very easily just said the government’s position would be clarified later.

Edit:  https://apple.news/AmHt3K4C6TdyZw5XXEsIUjw

• Options
    Here's hoping that reason is beginning to return to the country. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/emergencies-act-federal-court-1.7091891

• Options
    I liked that someone pointed out there are clearly 3 different strains of TDS circulating through Canada, lol.

Trump Derangement Syndrome
    Trudeau Derangement Syndrome
    Trucker Derangement Syndrome

There’s also clearly a sub-variant I’ll name Poilievre Derangement Syndrome, because, as with the TDS strains, facts be damned, lol.

• Options
    edited January 25
    Fuck Trudeau and his revisionist history. Speaking at the Liberal caucus, he’s playing fast and loose with the facts, both regarding the Conservatives and his own family history.

He just implied that daddy Pierre fought for Canada in WWII, while in fact Pierre was riding around Montreal on his motorcycle wearing fascist gear (not Nazi). As someone who’s family sent 4 sons and a son-in-law to fight (fortunately they all came home) this false implication is (and let’s be honest, should be) offensive.

It would also be nice if he used such strong language about Hamas as he does about the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Edit: His exact words were “when OUR (bolding is mine) fathers and grandfathers were fighting in World War II.”

• Options
    edited January 25
    I stand corrected, daddy Pierre served but over two years didn’t make it overseas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada_by_military_service#:~:text=The%20last%20prime%20minister%20to,Canadian%20Army%2C%20or%20the%20CEF.

It’s not clear when his ride in fascist gear fits around his military service, probably during the time he spent protesting conscription.

Edit: As I think about it further it’s probably for the best that Pierre didn’t make it overseas given his well-established history of opposition to the war (and also democracy), as long as he was kept away from any sensitive communications.

• Options

• Options
    So it seems that we’re moving towards a scenario where no politician shall be protested to their face because every protest is now deemed a threat (there is nothing shown in this case that comes close to a threat)? And at the same time journalists can be accosted by security details while simply performing their job?

How the fuck is this deemed acceptable (using the progressive barometer that silence is assent) in our democracy?!?

And don’t forget that if we let this stand then there can be no complaints when the pendulum swings the other way (even though we did just that when truckers did what others had done).

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-security-threat-against-trudeau-all-of-canadas-concern

• Options
    So it seems that we’re moving towards a scenario where no politician shall be protested to their face because every protest is now deemed a threat (there is nothing shown in this case that comes close to a threat)? And at the same time journalists can be accosted by security details while simply performing their job?

How the fuck is this deemed acceptable (using the progressive barometer that silence is assent) in our democracy?!?

And don’t forget that if we let this stand then there can be no complaints when the pendulum swings the other way (even though we did just that when truckers did what others had done).

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-security-threat-against-trudeau-all-of-canadas-concern
    What I couldn't tell in that video edit, was what they were the swarming.  They put Trudeau in a black SUV looking vehicle that took off, there's a rough edit, and those people are running up to a sedan looking car.

Generally if people are swarming the vehicle the leader of your government is in, you've got issues.    That's shitty security.  If that happened in the US, and the president got swarmed in vehicle, I think the secret service wouldn't be so nice about it.
  • Options
    Zod said:

What I couldn't tell in that video edit, was what they were the swarming.  They put Trudeau in a black SUV looking vehicle that took off, there's a rough edit, and those people are running up to a sedan looking car.

Generally if people are swarming the vehicle the leader of your government is in, you've got issues.    That's shitty security.  If that happened in the US, and the president got swarmed in vehicle, I think the secret service wouldn't be so nice about it.
    One of the descriptions of the incident I read had the RCMP put Trudeau in the lead car which apparently had a clearer avenue of escape, then the remaining officers piled into the other SUV which the group did move towards while continuing their chant.

But is the default position that any chanting crowd is a threat (it could potentially be, I have to allow)? Based on the Freeland-Menzies encounter I can’t really say the RCMP are exercising overly sound judgment. It would be interesting to hear from the RCMP as to whether they even perceived a threat (it is a columnist’s characterization that I’m moreso reacting to).

I realize this isn’t a popular sentiment around here but could all this hostility being shown towards the sitting government be a reflection of policies that could easily be called contentious, coupled with an administration that has made clear it has zero interest in considering those opposed to its policies?

And when and where is it appropriate to protest public figures and issues? About the only line I personally draw is “don’t go to their home” (something our Minister of the Environment disagrees with me on after he terrorized Ralph Klein’s wife, Ralph not even being home as Guilbeault was climbing all over the roof).

• Options
    The more I think about it the RCMP didn't really do anything wrong and in fact were probably following their own protocols. It really is just Warmington's characterization of an angry (or is it even just a loud? ) group of protesters as being a threat by default that's troubling to me.

• Options
    yah.. like it's probably bad security protocol to let anybody that doesn't have clearance within X amount meters near your government leader.   You want to keep them at distance in case someone does something unexpected.

We've never really had great security in this country.   Didn't Cretien have someone break into the official residence with a knife back in the day?  Way to go RCMP.

Theoretically they should of scoped what was out that door before Trudeau walked outside, that's a pretty big fail.  Should of checked and then come up with a different exit strategy to avoid confrontation.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    yah.. like it's probably bad security protocol to let anybody that doesn't have clearance within X amount meters near your government leader.   You want to keep them at distance in case someone does something unexpected.

We've never really had great security in this country.   Didn't Cretien have someone break into the official residence with a knife back in the day?  Way to go RCMP.

Theoretically they should of scoped what was out that door before Trudeau walked outside, that's a pretty big fail.  Should of checked and then come up with a different exit strategy to avoid confrontation.
    Pretty much completely agree, lol.

If I remember right Chretien’s wife fended off the intruder or something with an Inuit carving.

I was going to crack wise earlier that the days of Chretien choking a protester are long gone, lol (though that may be an example of a security breakdown).

• Options
    Zod said:

I used to find it almost romantic in Canada that yes, certainly, we don't have great security here for our political leaders.  I liked that. Because ultimately we didn't really need it. 

Disclaimer... I do indeed regret and feel ashamed about the following story... but it is what it is.  When I was like 16 or 17 I found myself very intoxicated in Ottawa.... and in my drunken stupor, walked up to the parliament building and urinated on centre block.  Yes, extremely disrespectful and I am very sorry about doing it. Very sorry. 

That said......  it was neat. To me at least.  And I have no idea if it's still the same today as it was that many years ago, but it was neat that I could indeed do that.  Just walk right up to the building.... and do what I did with no one really watching or caring. 

Nowadays, yeah I think we do need more security and with good reason.  But that makes me sad. 

Regarding the 'threat' of not being able to protest etc....  no one should be swarming a politician.  In my personal (likely off based) opinion... the issue isn't so much our lack of security or the fault of the RCMP...   it's the general feeling of the public here.  I draw a direct line that connects the following things: 

1. People like Tucker Carlson and Jordan Peterson do nothing but stoke fear and irrational hatred towards Canada and Trudeau and a lot of people drink  that stuff like coffee every day. 

2. That leads to people flying "F Trudeau" flags from their vehicles and their houses. 

3. That leads to a growing almost cult like mentality of hatred towards politicians. 

4. That leads to people feeling empowered to angerly approach our politicians and/or throw things at them. 

The reason we look at the RCMP as a failure and our lack of security is certainly valid, but I can't help also blame the people who are irresponsibly stoking fear and hatred for their own gain. 

This isn't good. And to me at the heart of this... are the two D-Bags and everyone like them at the on set who are doing these things for one reason and one reason only:  $$$. 

It's really quite simple...  don't like a politician? Vote them out. Feel so strongly about something and can't wait to vote? Grab a sign and march  your way to the closest government building and protest peacefully. Or, use your voice via letter, email, social media. None of these things have any emotional undertones in it at all. 

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016