Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Yup.  Pretty hard to convince the Chinese that the government doesn't interfere in the justice system...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    It feels like someone just joined twitter as has a new toy. Twitter spam.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Some further info on the rise of “vaccine hesitancy” in B.C.  Seems to have been stoked by an Ontario anti-caxxer transplanted into the B.C. interior. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/short-history-of-b-c-s-anti-vaccination-movement-1.5036265
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

it seems as if some of my "progressive" Canadian friends are more interested in another countries politics and looking down their nose, instead of holding their own leadership accountable

• Options
    my2hands said:

it seems as if some of my "progressive" Canadian friends are more interested in another countries politics and looking down their nose, instead of holding their own leadership accountable

I agree with you 100%.  He was the progressives wet dream when he got elected.  The progressive used to call our former PM (who must be just loving this to some degree, I am) Crime Minister, they seem to suit our current PM more.

The liberals and conservatives in Canada are both corrupt, but we seamlessly shuffle between the 2.  The NDP will never win federally, and some suggest the NDP in this federal election in October will be left with very little members elected. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    There are reasons why most of us rarely post in this thread anymore that predate the SNC Lavalin episode and which have nothing to do with not being “progressive enough”. 
  • Options
    Sunny ways have become Shady Ways...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    There are reasons why most of us rarely post in this thread anymore that predate the SNC Lavalin episode and which have nothing to do with not being “progressive enough”. 

it sucks when your guy sucks? lol
  • Options
    my2hands said:

So what are the rules now? If I reply do you flag it and say I’m pestering you? Hardly seems worth my effort.  
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Well, I think you how it is.  Most of the folks around here are more interested in a being in a circle jerk where everyone agrees with them. And if you don't, well you have seen what happens...this place is just amusement to me anymore.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    For anyone not following along, I have generally voted Green, so hard to argue that Trudeau is my “guy”. May is in my riding. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    my2hands said:

Well, I think you how it is.  Most of the folks around here are more interested in a being in a circle jerk where everyone agrees with them. And if you don't, well you have seen what happens...this place is just amusement to me anymore.
    that's the same old tired argument that has zero basis in fact. threads wouldn't keep getting locked if this was a 'circle jerk where everyone agrees with' each other. just because no one wants to respond to the constant barrage of memes and nicknames, doesn't mean we don't want discussion. plus, for some, there really is no discussion. you hate trudeau with every fiber of your being. and seemingly every other politician in office. you only like their opposition until that person is then in office, then you hate them. so what is there to discuss exactly?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    my2hands said:

So what are the rules now? If I reply do you flag it and say I’m pestering you? Hardly seems worth my effort.  
    Best just to ignore, we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
  • Options
  • Options
    The feds absolutely have to stop this nonsense of  allowing federal money to be spent on sending homeopaths to Honduras to peddle their brand of bullshit. It's a waste of money that puts the local people at risk. It's absolute nonsense to claim that a homeopathic remedy - i.e., water - can cure or prevent Chagas disease, which is serious and disfiguring when not fatal, dengue, and other infections. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/stop-homeopaths-honduras-1.5039745
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    my2hands said:

that's the same old tired argument that has zero basis in fact. threads wouldn't keep getting locked if this was a 'circle jerk where everyone agrees with' each other. just because no one wants to respond to the constant barrage of memes and nicknames, doesn't mean we don't want discussion. plus, for some, there really is no discussion. you hate trudeau with every fiber of your being. and seemingly every other politician in office. you only like their opposition until that person is then in office, then you hate them. so what is there to discuss exactly?
    Disagree it’s precisely why the get locked. The pack comes down hard on any disagreement.

But as far as Canada and Trudeau go I barely care.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:

And here it comes...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:

And here it comes...
    Some of these Canucks are having trouble handling the potent government weed...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    https://globalnews.ca/news/5017754/liberals-snc-lavalin-climate-ads/

"Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has warned that the carbon tax will drive up the cost of everything for consumers. He has yet to unveil his own plan for battling climate change — a fact which Liberals have ridiculed on a party-sponsored website that professes to be about the Conservative leader’s climate plan.

Anyone visiting the website gets an error message —  “No plan found” — and an updated count of the number of days that have gone by since Scheer promised a plan (308 as of Sunday)."

I wasn't able to track down the website mentioned above, but isn't this the definition of fake news?  Between this and the op-ed pieces they were prepared to push through the media for the SNC deal, can anyone honestly trust the current government to monitor the "fairness" of information during the upcoming election?

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options

"Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has warned that the carbon tax will drive up the cost of everything for consumers. He has yet to unveil his own plan for battling climate change — a fact which Liberals have ridiculed on a party-sponsored website that professes to be about the Conservative leader’s climate plan.

Anyone visiting the website gets an error message —  “No plan found” — and an updated count of the number of days that have gone by since Scheer promised a plan (308 as of Sunday)."

I wasn't able to track down the website mentioned above, but isn't this the definition of fake news?  Between this and the op-ed pieces they were prepared to push through the media for the SNC deal, can anyone honestly trust the current government to monitor the "fairness" of information during the upcoming election?

Do we expect any party to "monitor fairness" of information? That would not occur to me. It's up to each voter to decide on the "fairness", accuracy, what have you, of information. 
  • Options

Good grief. If this is true, then what the fuck is the matter with PM Fluff.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

No doubt the carbon tax will drive the price of things up.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

No doubt the carbon tax will drive the price of things up.  
    Well, sure. It has to. That doesn’t mean it isn’t the right thing to do. There is no way to make progress on climate change without cost. 
  • Options

Do we expect any party to "monitor fairness" of information? That would not occur to me. It's up to each voter to decide on the "fairness", accuracy, what have you, of information. 
    I'll try to find an article about it, but a committee has been created to monitor supposed disinformation campaigns (with an eye supposedly on foreign actors) during the upcoming campaign.  Apparently hyper-partisan Wernick is on the 5-person (I think) panel.

• Options

• Options

Sorry, just wanted to add that I totally agree with you that it's incumbent on the individual voter to sort through the chaff and determine for themselves what is or isn't true, in the same vein that I believe it's our responsibility as citizens in a democracy to stay informed on the issues so as to cast an informed vote (and that extends to the entire mandate, not just the election campaign).