Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    You’re all hypocrites: Why it's a colossal cop-out to keep blaming Canada's sky high emissions on Albertahttps://nationalpost.com/news/canada/youre-all-hypocrites-why-its-a-colossal-cop-out-to-keep-blaming-canadas-sky-high-emissions-on-alberta

Trudeau should ban cruise ships off the coast as well...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Humboldt Broncos case: Crown recommends 10-year prison sentence for semi driver

https://globalnews.ca/news/4910631/sentencing-arguments-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-sidhu/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR0w1g4u0kx_0l7XsBkFsaj7hEF29xNcof_1w-WhYbk773lQcpoPkFScDos

Healey said Sidhu was travelling between 86 and 96 km/hr when he passed four signs warning about the upcoming intersection before he came across an oversized stop sign with a flashing light.

“Mr. Sidhu had more than enough time to bring the semi to a complete stop,” said Healey.

Healey also said Sidhu should have seen the busy highway coming up right in front of him or a car stopped across the road and waiting for the Broncos bus to pass.

“How do you miss that? It’s just astounding,” Healey said. “All he had to do was stop. That’s all.”

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Amid cries of 'traitor,' Canada's Trudeau set for ugly election

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-politics-trudeau-analysis-idUSKCN1PP29O?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c5338e704d301313407294f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR17_Zdzy_42ZAFMg5p8tUe8vFGZ6SfrHS34iTsz-754nMU2RnY0it5ue0s

Opinion polls show his center-left Liberals are barely ahead of their rivals, and party insiders privately admit they might lose their majority in the House of Commons, which would crimp the government’s ability to govern.

In contrast to more gentle exchanges in previous years, angry citizens slammed Trudeau for bungling the construction of pipelines, breaking promises to respect the right of indigenous groups, ignoring a pledge to balance the budget and allowing too many migrants into Canada.

Public unhappiness over illegal immigrants crossing the border from the United States is so great that the party will consider a promise to clamp down further, even though Ottawa considers the matter is under control, said one top Liberal.

Wait until the carbon tax hits April 1...further Ontario support will be eroded, pretty sure Alberta will pretty much be blue provincially by the next election.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    These racists in Canada are really starting to bother me a lot.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Alberta will be conservative? My, that’s a surprise. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
  • Options
    I realize at times this thread has become kind of an 'all things Canadian' thread, but relating to crime and the investigation of it... this story depicts a bumbling fool that one should read (relating to the McArthur case):

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/toronto-officer-facing-misconduct-charges-over-2016-mcarthur-choking-arrest-asks-for-independent-judge/ar-BBTczBL?ocid=spartanntp

* Maybe it belongs in the idiot thread... or police abuse thread?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

And many low-income people also pay taxes on gas, sales tax ... and a host of other taxes as well.  But why would a trust fund idiot know that...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Lol. This isn't an insult. It's fucking true. Low income people pay very little when it comes to income taxes which is what Trudeau was obviously talking about, and they definitely do not benefit from tax breaks - I remember that being the case when I was low income myself. Obviously he was not talking about sales taxes and shit. Scheer is a dirty player.
    Those who also benefit little from a lot of "breaks" are those with single households without children. Those of us who are single income without kids struggle because the cost of living is so high for a single income, but all the benefits that governments like to give to people don't reach people like us. They are all for families. For double income households and households with children.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol. This isn't an insult. It's fucking true. Low income people pay very little when it comes to income taxes which is what Trudeau was obviously talking about, and they definitely do not benefit from tax breaks - I remember that being the case when I was low income myself. Obviously he was not talking about sales taxes and shit. Scheer is a dirty player.
    Those who also benefit little from a lot of "breaks" are those with single households without children. Those of us who are single income without kids struggle because the cost of living is so high for a single income, but all the benefits that governments like to give to people don't reach people like us. They are all for families. For double income households and households with children.
    Really?

Single income households with no dependents have it way rougher than dual income households with kids?

Kids are expensive. Very expensive. And I have no problem with adults who choose to not procreate, but it will be other people's kids that will be serving them in the hospital and various other areas of life. In other words, they'll have to live with a few mild 'perks' given to families so that the country can continue to sustain itself.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

Single income households with no dependents have it way rougher than dual income households with kids?

Kids are expensive. Very expensive. And I have no problem with adults who choose to not procreate, but it will be other people's kids that will be serving them in the hospital and various other areas of life. In other words, they'll have to live with a few mild 'perks' given to families so that the country can continue to sustain itself.
    Did you just have a hallucination where I said single income households have it way rougher than dual income households with kids? You must have, since I didn't come close to suggesting that in reality.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

Did you just have a hallucination where I said single income households have it way rougher than dual income households with kids? You must have, since I didn't come close to suggesting that in reality.
    Did you not say this (copied and pasted): all the benefits that governments like to give to people don't reach people like us. They are all for families. For double income households and households with children.

What does that mean?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

Did you not say this (copied and pasted): all the benefits that governments like to give to people don't reach people like us. They are all for families. For double income households and households with children.

What does that mean?
    It means that when politicians fish for votes with all the great financial help people will get from rebates and extra money benefits and everything, single income people without children never see anything at all. None of those extra benefits and rebates ever apply to that section of society. I mean, that is pretty much literally what I said and what you quoted. You decided to interpret it in a way that I didn't intend or even hint at. I did not and never would suggest that families don't need such benefits, and definitely don't need a lecture about sustaining future generations - Frankly, I seem to care about that more than a lot of people with kids seem to, big picture-wise. And you're sure never going to see me complaining about how some of my own tax dollars go to the public education system and other programs that are for children, even though I don't have any kids. But I sure see a lot of parents griping about how they don't want to pay taxes for things they don't personally use, which I find really really annoying and narrow-minded.
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Ontario government overhauls autism program to attempt to eliminate wait list

https://globalnews.ca/news/4930701/ontario-government-autism-program-funding/?utm_source=GlobalToronto&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR37xRSpA5cqE1G4YlE2uH8BBJm2LiasIf5IZW4V5pN9yMdRr1trleOoxdo

Parents of Autistic children were constantly fighting the previous government to get funding to 18 and to shorten the wait list.  I guess it takes a deplorable to get the job done.  I guess things get done when politicians quit pandering to the special interest groups.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Ugh. I hate it when you make yourself part of the problem man. The hyperbole and misrepresentation of comments like this.... It's just shitty for everyone. Poor tactic created by social media. It's why everyone is so divided now.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    she didn't say they have it way rougher. she pointed out that single childless people don't get tax breaks related to having kids, cuz, well, duh. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    she didn't say they have it way rougher. she pointed out that single childless people don't get tax breaks related to having kids, cuz, well, duh. LOL
    lol

I see.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    Actually, I didn't mean that single childless people don't get tax break related to having kids. HFD is mistaken. And yes, DUH. Obviously that isn't what I was saying (my god, you two must think I'm dumb). I said that families get all the benefits and tax breaks in general, because all of the benefits and tax breaks promised during election campaigns are focused only on families/households with kids/double income households. There are NEVER any breaks or benefits directed towards single income households without children. It's like the government assumes that those without kids don't struggle with the cost of living too, when in fact we do very much, and our incomes don't go up at an appropriate rate compared to cost of living either, particularly where I live.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    Actually, I didn't mean that single childless people don't get tax break related to having kids. HFD is mistaken. And yes, DUH. Obviously that isn't what I was saying (my god, you two must think I'm dumb). I said that families get all the benefits and tax breaks in general, because all of the benefits and tax breaks promised during election campaigns are focused only on families/households with kids/double income households. There are NEVER any breaks or benefits directed towards single income households without children. It's like the government assumes that those without kids don't struggle with the cost of living too, when in fact we do very much, and our incomes don't go up at an appropriate rate compared to cost of living either, particularly where I live.
    I've been single with no kids. 
    I"m married with kids. 

I don't recall ever, when I was childless, hearing about tax breaks geared towards families that had nothing do with having a family. 

I had a shit tonne more money when I was childless and living alone. And my salary at that time was about half what it is now. So I fail to see this point of yours. 

what tax breaks would you like single people to get? a starbucks kickback?

tax breaks for middle class families are given because that is the exact demographic that drives any economy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    I"m married with kids. 

I don't recall ever, when I was childless, hearing about tax breaks geared towards families that had nothing do with having a family. 

I had a shit tonne more money when I was childless and living alone. And my salary at that time was about half what it is now. So I fail to see this point of yours. 

tax breaks for middle class families are given because that is the exact demographic that drives any economy. 
    Um, what? You don't remember hearing about tax breaks geared towards families that had nothing to do with having a family? Well... obviously? What are you talking about?
    Dude, you never lived in Vancouver since it became the second most affordable city in the world. It is a STRUGGLE for a single income household with no kids. A very real one, and it's actually scary. Obviously you don't really understand what it's like to live here. If I lived where you do and made the salary I do, I would not be saying any of this. What I am saying is that tax breaks and benefits (always for families only now) also need to be given to other who need tax breaks and benefits (obviously not the same ones, because one group is for families and one would be for those without families).
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    I"m married with kids. 

Um, what? You don't remember hearing about tax breaks geared towards families that had nothing to do with having a family? Well... obviously? What are you talking about?
    Dude, you never lived in Vancouver since it became the second most affordable city in the world. It is a STRUGGLE for a single income household with no kids. A very real one, and it's actually scary. Obviously you don't really understand what it's like to live here. If I lived where you do and made the salary I do, I would not be saying any of this. What I am saying is that tax breaks and benefits (always for families only now) also need to be given to other who need tax breaks and benefits (obviously not the same ones, because one group is for families and one would be for those without families).
    I'll ask again: what tax breaks do single childless people want? I can't recall a single thing I could think of when I was living on my own, working two shit jobs, living in an apartment. 

no, I haven't lived in vancouver. But I do know the expenses of living there. And I didn't realize this topic changed to "vancouver politics". always moving the goal posts. HAHA

I don't understand what it's like to live in vancouver, but you understand what it's like to live in winnipeg. par for the course, I suppose. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    I"m married with kids. 

I'll ask again: what tax breaks do single childless people want? I can't recall a single thing I could think of when I was living on my own, working two shit jobs, living in an apartment. 

no, I haven't lived in vancouver. But I do know the expenses of living there. And I didn't realize this topic changed to "vancouver politics". always moving the goal posts. HAHA

I don't understand what it's like to live in vancouver, but you understand what it's like to live in winnipeg. par for the course, I suppose. 

Sigh. I know what the cost of living vs salary in Winnipeg is because we're obsessed with these things in Vancouver. I didn't fucking mean it as some kind of one-up or whatever the heck you think. I didn't cross my mind that you might not know the cost of living in Vancouver, or that you do. What I meant was that you've never struggled to actually live there now that it is the way it is. And I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to relate issues in this thread to my own experiences where I live now?
    Just stop responding to my posts if I piss you off this much. Or do what you want - I'm just sick of it.
  • Options
    Oh crap.

The Canadians are testy today.
  • Options
    Oh crap.

I'm fine, lol. I'm in a good mood actually! I'm not sure what's going on here, but I'm not into it.
  • Options
    The obvious help that many people's are going to need is going to have to come in the way of some sort of housing tax credit that is available to all people's who pay a disproportionate amount of their income to house themselves (due to no fault of their own).  If the politicians do not address the affordable housing issues more people will end up homeless.  This is a tax credit that all people can be helped.   

It is getting to be really challenging for low-income people to meet their basic needs in this country.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Shutting down the Trump thread has livened this thread up a bit...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Really?

What does that mean?
    lol

I see.
    I"m married with kids. 

Sigh. I know what the cost of living vs salary in Winnipeg is because we're obsessed with these things in Vancouver. I didn't fucking mean it as some kind of one-up or whatever the heck you think. I didn't cross my mind that you might not know the cost of living in Vancouver, or that you do. What I meant was that you've never struggled to actually live there now that it is the way it is. And I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to relate issues in this thread to my own experiences where I live now?
    Just stop responding to my posts if I piss you off this much. Or do what you want - I'm just sick of it.
    of course you can relate your own personal experiences. but when you started talking about 'single people never get tax breaks', you never mentioned you were only talking locally. when you are speaking to people who are all over the nation, especially that this started with trudeau's comments, i think it's fair to assume you were speaking nationally. and it's the arrogance of the 'obviously you don't understand....' comments you constantly make that get tiresome.

rgambs is a wise man, lol. 

for the record, i'm not pissed off. just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't make them angry. enough with the emotion projection already. 

and i guess you aren't interested in answering the question i've asked twice now. which is fine. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Oh crap.

not this canadian.  B)
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com