You know you're getting old when...

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    when your kids come to visit you for lunch and dinner and spend the day with you
  • People don't believe you that you lived when there was no internet.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    when u have a morning erection and you think you are dreaming
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    You know you're getting old when your eyes start to go.  I had this flash of light glint off my glasses the other day so I took glasses off and the flashes of light were still there.  I thought of my wife who had a detached retina (no picnic!) a few years ago and I started to freak out a bit.  I went right to the eye Doc the next day and he said it's most likely what is called a "posterior vitreous gel detachment"- apparently something common with older folks (also what the heck he means by an "older folk" is beyond me, haha!).  He asked if I had any floater and I said no, not that I've noticed.  And then the very next day I'm looking at the sky and wondering who through that field of black pepper up there.  Oh!  Floaters!    Well, this is interesting!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    You know you're getting old when your eyes start to go.  I had this flash of light glint off my glasses the other day so I took glasses off and the flashes of light were still there.  I thought of my wife who had a detached retina (no picnic!) a few years ago and I started to freak out a bit.  I went right to the eye Doc the next day and he said it's most likely what is called a "posterior vitreous gel detachment"- apparently something common with older folks (also what the heck he means by an "older folk" is beyond me, haha!).  He asked if I had any floater and I said no, not that I've noticed.  And then the very next day I'm looking at the sky and wondering who through that field of black pepper up there.  Oh!  Floaters!    Well, this is interesting!
    I have floaters. lots of them. and occasionally I get those flashes too. everything on the internet tells you to be fucking worried about it (and believe me, I have worried about it), but then I read something calming basically saying that as long as you don't have a massive influx of floaters all at once, nothing much to worry about. 

but man, it can suck when it's a sunny day out. It sucks at work looking at a computer screen all day-can see them all the time. as long as I have sunglasses on outside they don't bother me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

last summer I also noticed something that I call "twinkles" that I noticed in my peripheral vision when I was sitting outside looking up at the blue sky. freaked me out a bit, but no problems and we're 6 months later. incidentally some people at work were talking about those very same things and were told by their eye doc not to worry. so I won't! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I thought when you get old you have to wear white NewBalance sneakers and drive a Buick?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I thought when you get old you have to wear white NewBalance sneakers and drive a Buick?
    And wear jorts 
  • I thought when you get old you have to wear white NewBalance sneakers and drive a Buick?
    And wear jorts 
    I had to google Jorts, lol.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    You fuck up your knee playing hockey and now have to go to physical therapy to get back to normal.  I've been limping around for 2 weeks...awful.  It may be time to hang up the skates...
    I thought when you get old you have to wear white NewBalance sneakers and drive a Buick?
    And wear jorts 
    nothin' wrong with a lady in jorts. dudes? notsomuch
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

And wear jorts 
    nothin' wrong with a lady in jorts. dudes? notsomuch
    Nothing wrong at all!
    Oh gawd!  Or those shoes with Velcro flaps instead of laces.  Me?  NO WAY! 

Now a Buick, the right Buick, that I could maybe see.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    I have floaters. lots of them. and occasionally I get those flashes too. everything on the internet tells you to be fucking worried about it (and believe me, I have worried about it), but then I read something calming basically saying that as long as you don't have a massive influx of floaters all at once, nothing much to worry about. 

but man, it can suck when it's a sunny day out. It sucks at work looking at a computer screen all day-can see them all the time. as long as I have sunglasses on outside they don't bother me. 
    I'm not super worried but, yeah, somewhat concerned.  I just have this vague feeling that my left eye is going faster than my right.  Plus night driving with the glare of those damn bright halogen lights is just nasty business!

You know you're getting old (but not feeling old) when you go to an evening birthday party attended by people mostly your age, some a bit older, and the crowd thins out and you don't like being the last to go so you head to your car, start it up, look at the clock and realize it's only 8:15 PM.  Man, what a bunch of wimps I hang with sometimes.  :lol:

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You know you are getting old (and glad to be) when you see all the memes with this tattoo/clown faced rapper going around and you don't have a clue what they mean.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited September 2019
    Last night in the record store section of Barnes & Noble....

Hipster kid working there (teens/early 20s):  Hi can i help you find something?

me:  yeah do you have the new Liam Gallagher album?

kid:  uhh.....Liam..?  Whats the name again?

me:  Liam Gallagher.  Guy from Oasis

kid:   Oasis?  So what kind of music would this be?  

me:  i’ll browse around. Thanks
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    Last night in the record store section of Barnes & Noble....

Hipseter kid working there (teens/early 20s):  Hi can i help you find something?

me:  yeah do you have the new Liam Gallagher album?

kid:  uhh.....Liam..?  Whats the name again?

me:  Liam Gallagher.  Guy from Oasis

kid:   Oasis?  So what kind of music would this be?  

me:  i’ll browse around. Thanks
    Haha! 

I shouldn't laugh- if I worked in a record store and a 20 something hipster asked for something current, I might be in the same position. 

• Where's @crookedcross Alex at?  He needs to read this thread.

Oh when older you have to tuck your shirt into your khaki shorts and have a cell phone clip on your belt...
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Getting a dish from the dishwasher hurts your back for a week.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Colleague: You've been wearing your hair in a bun everyday. It looks nice. Is there a reason you changed your hair style?

Me: Hot flashes 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Ms. Haiku said:
    Colleague: You've been wearing your hair in a bun everyday. It looks nice. Is there a reason you changed your hair style?

No way you are old enough to have hot flashes!?!
    when you get out of bed, you have to walk around for 5 minutes before even attempting any stairs. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

when you get out of bed, you have to walk around for 5 minutes before even attempting any stairs. 
    Add to your wish list?

Ms. Haiku said:

No way you are old enough to have hot flashes!?!
    They started at 48 (age of my avatar picture) and still there. 
  • I spend 10 minutes at the beginning of the day and 10 minutes at the end of the day just doing stretches so I don't walk around like a 90 year old.    And I have also attended my 40 year high school class reunion.   I have some gray hairs.  Several.   And I could go on and on but I will just adopt all previous posts. 
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited September 2019
    Where's @crookedcross Alex at?  He needs to read this thread.

Oh when older you have to tuck your shirt into your khaki shorts and have a cell phone clip on your belt...
    I've been here. Don't @ me, homie. I've been clipping!

Post edited by crookedcross on

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get them Air Monarchs yet?
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Where's @crookedcross Alex at?  He needs to read this thread.

Dude, please...

Dude, please...

Those joints are on point yo!