Options

Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html

Should Mr. Trump clinch the presidential nomination, it would represent a rout of historic proportions for the institutional Republican Party, and could set off an internal rift unseen in either party for a half-century, since white Southerners abandoned the Democratic Party en masse during the civil rights movement.

Former Gov. Michael O. Leavitt of Utah, a top adviser to Mr. Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign, said the party was unable to come up with a united front to quash Mr. Trump’s campaign.
    LOL

So we could see a massive realignment of political parties over the next few years. The tea party was the start of the splintering and this is the continuation. I think you will see the business community start gravitating left and the Democrats will have a generational opportunity to consolidate the educated vote. The question is whether there can be some sort of moderate position on business issues that can be forged. Because when it comes to immigration, social issues and other progressive priorities, there is alignment.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html

Should Mr. Trump clinch the presidential nomination, it would represent a rout of historic proportions for the institutional Republican Party, and could set off an internal rift unseen in either party for a half-century, since white Southerners abandoned the Democratic Party en masse during the civil rights movement.

Former Gov. Michael O. Leavitt of Utah, a top adviser to Mr. Romney’s 2012 presidential campaign, said the party was unable to come up with a united front to quash Mr. Trump’s campaign.
    LOL

Haha!

Another interesting quote from the article:

The two strategists, who declined to comment, proposed to attack Mr. Trump in New Hampshire over his business failures and past liberal positions, and emphasized the extreme urgency of their project. A Trump nomination would not only cause Republicans to lose the presidency, they wrote, “but we also lose the Senate, competitive gubernatorial elections and moderate House Republicans.”

Well OK then!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    yeah they are screwed....it's hilarious
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,176
    this is really strange. yesterday i read an article boasting of a poll that has only been wrong one time in the last 100 years. it says if bernie gets the nomination it is 99% certain trump will win. if clintone gets the nomination it is a 97% certainty that trump will win. i just don't see it like that based on the math i have seen.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

this is really strange. yesterday i read an article boasting of a poll that has only been wrong one time in the last 100 years. it says if bernie gets the nomination it is 99% certain trump will win. if clintone gets the nomination it is a 97% certainty that trump will win. i just don't see it like that based on the math i have seen.

I read that as well. As they say, there is a first time for everything and all other indications point to this being the first time that poll is wrong (actually the second time, but the one time the poll was wrong they gave a reason for that being the case).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,176
    brianlux said:

I read that as well. As they say, there is a first time for everything and all other indications point to this being the first time that poll is wrong (actually the second time, but the one time the poll was wrong they gave a reason for that being the case).
    i think they are saying that as an unofficial endorsement of trump.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

brianlux said:

i think they are saying that as an unofficial endorsement of trump.
    The electoral map favors a Democrat. I read that article and don't put a lot of merit in it. I would pay attention to 538.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    edited February 2016
    http://www.270towin.com/

Electoral math. Democrats have to give back several states won twice by Obama to flip the country. Not saying it cannot or will not happen, just that Republicans face a difficult path.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Fu(k the issues lets pick the winner.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

I've always enjoyed paying attention to both but you go on having fun posting this over and over. Adds a lot to the discussion.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

JC29856 said:

I've always enjoyed paying attention to both but you go on having fun posting this over and over. Adds a lot to the discussion.
    I post for the unposting majority.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

Electoral math. Democrats have to give back several states won twice by Obama to flip the country. Not saying it cannot or will not happen, just that Republicans face a difficult path.

Yeah and the Faux News zombies still haven't figured it out. The GOP needed a savior to have any hope in November....it isn't going to be Trumpenstein.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    JimmyV said:

Plus, if Trump wins the nomination the democratic turnout will be huge and a lot of Republicans may stay at home as they cannot in good conscience vote for Trump.
  • Options
    eddiec said:

JimmyV said:

Plus, if Trump wins the nomination the democratic turnout will be huge and a lot of Republicans may stay at home as they cannot in good conscience vote for Trump.
    Yep...

• Options

eddiec said:

JimmyV said:

Yep...
    If Trump gets the nomination does that not already mean that many Republicans have already voted in good conscience for him?
  • Options

eddiec said:

JimmyV said:

Yep...
    If Trump gets the nomination does that not already mean that many Republicans have already voted in good conscience for him?
    Yes and no...he has gotten the most votes and most delegates thus far by far, but he has yet to cross even 50% of voting Republicans in a single state. So more than half of Republican voters have chosen someone else and may continue to choose someone else. How many of those votes would swing his way in the fall is an unknown.

• Options
    Holy shit South Carolina.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Anyone see the SC black vote for Hillary 08 like 16% and today like 84%? Is that accurate?
    Obama 78% black vote in 08!
    Explain that one horse race analysers?
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    2008 SC dem turnout:
    532k total (229k white, 293 black)

2016 turnout (est.):
    360k total (125k white, 218k black)

12% voter turnout!

Hillary Clinton is the 1st Democrat to win every SC county in a contested pres primary since Bill Clinton won it 63-18 over Tsongas in 1992
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    Bernie can't afford to just be close. He has to win some important states convincingly to start closing the delegate count. He will likely only win CO, MA, VT.. maybe OK and MN. But he needs to win them by like 20 points as Hillary will rack up huge delegate numbers in the South. The math is very daunting for him.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

There is a remedy for not being able to afford your house it's called foreclose. The buyer is out of the house and the bank now has its collateral.
    There is a remedy for lying realtors, never using them again.

I'm not sure they lied... they were naive like everyone else. Housing values ALWAYS increase...right? Until they don't... But my point is that the whole chain had a hand in what culminated in 2008. I bought a house in Northern Virginia in 2002, right as the market was really zooming. NOVA is quite expensive and the realtor kept trying to move me up...take a 3/1/1 you can't lose! I've always been anti-balloon, anti-ARM so I didn't bite, but it would have been very easy for that proverbial "least sophisticated consumer".
    I found this for you...check it out. Covers the housing crisis.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01/20/whos-to-blame-for-the-mortgage-mess-banks-not-homeowners/
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JC29856 said:

mrussel1 said:

JC29856 said:

There is a remedy for not being able to afford your house it's called foreclose. The buyer is out of the house and the bank now has its collateral.
    There is a remedy for lying realtors, never using them again.

I'm not sure they lied... they were naive like everyone else. Housing values ALWAYS increase...right? Until they don't... But my point is that the whole chain had a hand in what culminated in 2008. I bought a house in Northern Virginia in 2002, right as the market was really zooming. NOVA is quite expensive and the realtor kept trying to move me up...take a 3/1/1 you can't lose! I've always been anti-balloon, anti-ARM so I didn't bite, but it would have been very easy for that proverbial "least sophisticated consumer".
    I found this for you...check it out. Covers the housing crisis.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01/20/whos-to-blame-for-the-mortgage-mess-banks-not-homeowners/
    The article goes into great detail to support its premise that the issue was 90% lender caused, but I don't know how it comes up with that %. It doesn't explore, at all, the consumer's role, the agent's, etc. It only focuses on the lender, which is fine. It's intended to be a persuasive article, but it's certainly not an 'analysis'. For example, it puts this in quotes..
    People shouldn't be sympathetic to banks that effectively say: "Hey, we knew the applicants were lying and wouldn't be able to repay the loans. We didn't care because we didn't hold onto the loans. We offloaded the risk to investors through the securitization process. But so what? Blame the deadbeat borrowers for the volume of foreclosures today."

I'm sorry, whose quote is that? Is he quoting an entire industry? That quote is the premise for a paragraph that said the banks knowingly underwrote bad loans.

Again, I'm not saying the banks weren't complicit or negligent. They were. But it was an entire economy built around housing. You had cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas where a substantial part of the economy was built around the housing cycle that fell apart together. Contractors, laborers, real estate, brokers, banks, all in it together. All going down together.
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    This dried up bag is not qualified to be President and will never be President. It's Trump dontcha know

Clinton pays tribute to black victims – ignores officers killed in line of duty

Tuh
  • Options
    She prob just going with the numbers police killed in line if duty 126 mostly by vehicle accidents versus blacks killed by cop 238. I'm just guessing.
  • Options

This dried up bag is not qualified to be President and will never be President. It's Trump dontcha know

Tuh

OK, so lets see. it's:

Bernie:
    "old bag"
    "old goat"
    "bitch boy whore"

Hillary:
    "Hitlary"
    "dried up bag"

Tru...

I can't do it! No way can I be funnier than you guys with your silly name calling.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Tuh

OK, so lets see. it's:

Bernie:
    "old bag"
    "old goat"
    "bitch boy whore"

Hillary:
    "Hitlary"
    "dried up bag"

Tru...

I can't do it! No way can I be funnier than you guys with your silly name calling.
    Juvenile name calling is best left to the experts on the GOP stage. Rubio and Cruz are now dragged down into it.

It reminds me of a quote I once heard that I remember every day at work.."You can't argue with a crazy person. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,560
    brianlux said:

Tuh

OK, so lets see. it's:

Bernie:
    "old bag"
    "old goat"
    "bitch boy whore"

Hillary:
    "Hitlary"
    "dried up bag"

Tru...

Do you really expect anything different from a trump supporter?

Who was also a Romney supporter and a Herman Cain supporter.
This discussion has been closed.