Hillary won more votes for President

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,927
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Polls.

:rofl:

Isn't Bernie's campaign relying on polls to say they would do better in the general? Isn't that the crux of the argument for SDs to switch?

So which is it?
    Exactly. It's people like this that make me pissed I voted for Bernie because I then have to be associated/grouped in with these claw scratchers, tin foil hats. First, their bitching that superdelegates are unfair and want them eliminated, but then they're bitching that it's not over yet because the SD's have the opportunity to change their vote, then that's all on the precedent that "the people" want change....yet, Hillary has 3 million more voters in the popular vote. As a whole, it's the fucking 16 year old rebellious kid yelling just to fucking yell. Please. Just stop already.
    You heard it folks, just stop complaining about crooked elections and just bend over, take it like an animal and obey obey obey.
    I know right? We're all just a bunch of fucking SHEEPLE. Don't forget to mark yourself up and paint your fingernails black.
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Polls.

:rofl:

Isn't Bernie's campaign relying on polls to say they would do better in the general? Isn't that the crux of the argument for SDs to switch?

So which is it?
    Exactly. It's people like this that make me pissed I voted for Bernie because I then have to be associated/grouped in with these claw scratchers, tin foil hats. First, their bitching that superdelegates are unfair and want them eliminated, but then they're bitching that it's not over yet because the SD's have the opportunity to change their vote, then that's all on the precedent that "the people" want change....yet, Hillary has 3 million more voters in the popular vote. As a whole, it's the fucking 16 year old rebellious kid yelling just to fucking yell. Please. Just stop already.
    You heard it folks, just stop complaining about crooked elections and just bend over, take it like an animal and obey obey obey. Because oligarchies and corruption are where it's at.
    Guy had to go back and edit his SCORCHING HOT TAKE.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,308
    I still don't understand how you can disparage the two things you are depending on. Polls and SDs. Please help me understand.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    within republicans ... hate for hilary > fear of trump ... i think more republicans will support trump for that reason than sanders voters supporting hilary to get trump out ...
  • EarlWelshEarlWelsh Posts: 1,110
    mrussel1 said:

I still don't understand how you can disparage the two things you are depending on. Polls and SDs. Please help me understand.

SDs are part of the game. It is possible to criticize them and their existence but also recognize the need for them in said game.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

Wilds said:

Kat said:

Sanders publicly declared what he considered clinching the nomination – pledged delegates plus commitments from super-delegates – and now he doesn’t want this standard applied to his own campaign."

I can't speak for Sanders, but certainly the stakes have changed.

In 2008 both of the democrats running were deeply in bed with the status quo. There was barely any difference between Hillary and Obama.

Now in 2016 you have one candidate who will keep things the way they are and continue the rise of the wealthy and the eroding of the middle class, and Bernie who actually would make an effort to help the people, and not just the rich masters.

It looks like the rich masters have won again. But on the principle of something better, I think Bernie is hanging in there because he still has a revolution to promote.

When Hillary backed out in 2008 it was just a wink wink, "you're next" type of bought and sold situation. Cushy job in Barack's Cabinet and the entire DNC (war) machine behind her with a promise of an unopposed coronation.

Yes the stakes have changed. I imagine Bernie realizes this and thus the change in strategy?
    Now this is the discussion I'm looking for. And I agree, comparing 2008 to 2016 is like comparing apples to oranges. Feelings between candidates right now are rife with division throwing any comparison to the feelings in'08 out of the ballpark.

Clinton thinking she will get votes from Sanders supporters right now is a delusional thought.
    It's delusional for you to think she won't...when Bernie asks his supporters to support her will you ignore him?
    The real question is Will he?

After last night, you've got 5 states of angry voters attempted to be marginalized. Obviously you not affected. Sanders supporters will not join Clinton after all of this tyrannical bullshit she and the DNC and establishment media are pulling. And it's not the first time I've said that. Wake up. Don't expect blind militant obeying behavior.
    We'll see I guess...

My prediction is that Sanders will bow out and strongly endorse Clinton. He will make appearances with her and be a strong vocal supporter.

Your prediction is that he won't.

The question remains though...if he endorses her and urges you to vote for her will you ignore him?
    Regardless what Sanders does, neither he nor any leader can deliver the votes of his supporters. That challenge is Clinton’s.
    On one hand, Sanders' supporters can potentially be persuaded to vote for Clinton just because the media has labelled her the presumptive (keyword being presumptive) nominee for the Democratic party earlier than they ought to have.

On the other, these supporters are so strongly in favour of Sanders and anti-establishment that even Sanders himself couldn't convince voters to vote for Clinton.

What is it - are they bandwagoning sheep or are they independent thinkers? And if they're independent thinkers, why are these people who are anti-establishment, don't read mainstream media, and have nothing but contempt for Clinton, incapable of making educated decisions on who to vote for?

I have to echo Jearlpam0925's sentiments on this.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    polaris_x said:

within republicans ... hate for hilary > fear of trump ... i think more republicans will support trump for that reason than sanders voters supporting hilary to get trump out ...

You are forgetting a huge third-party (Independents).
    benjs said:

Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

Wilds said:

Kat said:

Sanders publicly declared what he considered clinching the nomination – pledged delegates plus commitments from super-delegates – and now he doesn’t want this standard applied to his own campaign."

In 2008 both of the democrats running were deeply in bed with the status quo. There was barely any difference between Hillary and Obama.

Now in 2016 you have one candidate who will keep things the way they are and continue the rise of the wealthy and the eroding of the middle class, and Bernie who actually would make an effort to help the people, and not just the rich masters.

It looks like the rich masters have won again. But on the principle of something better, I think Bernie is hanging in there because he still has a revolution to promote.

When Hillary backed out in 2008 it was just a wink wink, "you're next" type of bought and sold situation. Cushy job in Barack's Cabinet and the entire DNC (war) machine behind her with a promise of an unopposed coronation.

Yes the stakes have changed. I imagine Bernie realizes this and thus the change in strategy?
    Now this is the discussion I'm looking for. And I agree, comparing 2008 to 2016 is like comparing apples to oranges. Feelings between candidates right now are rife with division throwing any comparison to the feelings in'08 out of the ballpark.

Clinton thinking she will get votes from Sanders supporters right now is a delusional thought.
    It's delusional for you to think she won't...when Bernie asks his supporters to support her will you ignore him?

After last night, you've got 5 states of angry voters attempted to be marginalized. Obviously you not affected. Sanders supporters will not join Clinton after all of this tyrannical bullshit she and the DNC and establishment media are pulling. And it's not the first time I've said that. Wake up. Don't expect blind militant obeying behavior.
    We'll see I guess...

My prediction is that Sanders will bow out and strongly endorse Clinton. He will make appearances with her and be a strong vocal supporter.

The question remains though...if he endorses her and urges you to vote for her will you ignore him?
    Regardless what Sanders does, neither he nor any leader can deliver the votes of his supporters. That challenge is Clinton’s.
    On one hand, Sanders' supporters can potentially be persuaded to vote for Clinton just because the media has labelled her the presumptive (keyword being presumptive) nominee for the Democratic party earlier than they ought to have.

On the other, these supporters are so strongly in favour of Sanders and anti-establishment that even Sanders himself couldn't convince voters to vote for Clinton.

What is it - are they bandwagoning sheep or are they independent thinkers? And if they're independent thinkers, why are these people who are anti-establishment, don't read mainstream media, and have nothing but contempt for Clinton, incapable of making educated decisions on who to vote for?

Because I was an independent thinker when I voted for Bernie, but because I'm pragmatic with my approach that I'm sheep. And I'm definitely a fucking moron. Especially since I don't source all of my argumens with alternative no-name sources that clearly uphold one and only argument as definitive - my own.
    edited June 2016
    benjs said:

Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

Wilds said:

Kat said:

We'll see I guess...

"incapable of making educated decisions on who to vote for?"

What are you talking about? There are so many Sanders supporters who are refusing to vote Clinton. Lots of them Who are fed up w/ establishment bullshit from Clinton and DNC who are FAILING the people of this country. Clinton has said nothing about how she would help those impoverished and the middle class. Like Hell are people going to fall in line w/ the corrupt Clinton's. Maybe those who are well off financially, but not so many of the hundreds of thousands of Real people who attend Sanders rallies who know better.

Show me pictures of the mobs of people from Clinton's rallies. You can't because there aren't any. The people are sick of corporate establishment bullshit politics. We will write in Sanders, write in Jill Stein, write in anti-establishment Drumpf but we won't vote for Clinton.
    Post edited by Free on
    Hey, everybody, it's like it's the year 2000 again and no one's grown up.

I get a very bi-polar-y vibe from you. Like, ya might stare in the mirror and pretend you're heading a rebellion out of Braveheart or something. So goddamn dramatic, I can see it now.

Is it raining where you are? Cause it's t-storming here, and I wouldn't walk outside with something metallic on your head. BUT WAIT - that's probably EXACTLY what THEY want you to do.

Hey, everybody, it's like it's the year 2000 again and no one's grown up.

I get a very bi-polar-y vibe from you. Like, ya might stare in the mirror and pretend you're heading a rebellion out of Braveheart or something. So goddamn dramatic, I can see it now.

Is it raining where you are? Cause it's t-storming here, and I wouldn't walk outside with something metallic on your head. BUT WAIT - that's probably EXACTLY what THEY want you to do.

If To grow up is to stop caring about my kids, family and friends' welfare because corporate interests are more important? Big banks and Wall Street or more important than my financial stability? The failure of the middle class whom I'm a part of to thrive due to our leaders decisions? To continue to spend half my life paying off student loan debt? Just let the fossil fuel industries Take care of our climate issues? Continue to stomp on and don't care about those in poverty? Those less fortunate? To pay out my ass medical insurance fees when I get sick or injured? To continue working a 55 hour/week job and enjoy it despite severe stress issues? To look down on other people rather than help them?

That's not pragmatism. That's corporatism, that's oligarchy, that's doing what Big Brother says is acceptable. That's establishment: only out for themselves not the people this country.

I'll never grow up.
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Please stick to the discussion and do not talk about each other here...this is for everyone and is a requirement. Thanks.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Free said:

Free said:

One would be a fool to believe what the news is saying right now. The almighty race to be the first media station to report the false news!! And ahead of 5 state primaries!

Note to Americans:

superdelegates do not vote until july 25

Comments like these only reach about five Americans, and we already know when super delegates vote. Perhaps you need a different pulpit if you really are intent on educating the unenlightened masses. Do you ever attend meetings at your local Democratic party precinct? I'm sure they're looking for volunteers. You might make a bigger difference there. You seem to be looking to make a difference.
    Attempting to deflect the issue here and getting personal when things don't work in your favor proves nothing and goes nowhere.
    Actually, it was a genuine question and suggestion. If you really want the process to change, which I can tell you really do, get involved in the Democratic party as a precinct captain and work your way up. Run for a local office. The third parties especially are always recruiting candidates. They can't even find enough people to collect signatures, never mind fill ballots.

And actually, my dear Free, things *are* working in my favor. Hahaha.

Free said:

Free said:

One would be a fool to believe what the news is saying right now. The almighty race to be the first media station to report the false news!! And ahead of 5 state primaries!

Note to Americans:

Comments like these only reach about five Americans, and we already know when super delegates vote. Perhaps you need a different pulpit if you really are intent on educating the unenlightened masses. Do you ever attend meetings at your local Democratic party precinct? I'm sure they're looking for volunteers. You might make a bigger difference there. You seem to be looking to make a difference.
    Attempting to deflect the issue here and getting personal when things don't work in your favor proves nothing and goes nowhere.
    Actually, it was a genuine question and suggestion. If you really want the process to change, which I can tell you really do, get involved in the Democratic party as a precinct captain and work your way up. Run for a local office. The third parties especially are always recruiting candidates. They can't even find enough people to collect signatures, never mind fill ballots.

Made me :rofl:
    Help the Dem party... :rofl:
    This is a fascinating article about what is happening on college campuses. Perhaps it explains some of the entitlement we see around here, there and everywhere

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/07/the-craziest-demands-of-college-kids-in-2016.html
    mrussel1 said:

This is a fascinating article about what is happening on college campuses. Perhaps it explains some of the entitlement we see around here, there and everywhere

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/07/the-craziest-demands-of-college-kids-in-2016.html

Has nothing to do with topic.
    Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Has nothing to do with topic.
    Uh huh. It explains some things.
    Kat said:

Please stick to the discussion and do not talk about each other here...this is for everyone and is a requirement. Thanks.

Early voting exit polls has Clinton up by 10. That's not particularly surprising considering she attracts older, more affluent voters. Bernie would do better at the stations

http://capitolweekly.net/exit-poll-tight-race-absentee-voters-favor-hillary/
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:

Yup. A bunch of entitled, coddled, sensitive, whiny brats. Speech at universities has been hamstrung. Professors, guest lecturers and entertainers walk around in fear of offending or insulting these dolts. The word "microaggression" makes me want to throat punch someone.

Here we have students looking for separate but equal segregated "safe spaces": http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/02/this-claremont-safe-space-for-women-of-c

Here's more about those dipshit Yale students not happy that in an English class they have to hear about white males: http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/01/yale-students-tell-english-profs-to-stop

And what about these poor Johns Hopkins kids who get all depressed about their first semester grades. Don't buckle down and try harder, instead lobby the school to abolish grades for the first semester so nobody will get their little feelers hurt. http://reason.com/blog/2016/06/02/johns-hopkins-students-say-first-semeste

It's funny. My kids are this age, and I don't hear any of this bullshit from them.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    I don't get it. It's really the complete opposite of progressive causes and working towards equality and neutrality. Tribalism is not the answer.
    It was a really impressive victory for HRC in New Jersey this evening. A 28 point victory on an historic night. My 8 year old daughter was super excited to see a girl who could be president. Young children are so tuned into gender.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    benjs said:

Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

benjs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

rgambs said:

Free said:

mrussel1 said:

Free said:

Note to Americans:

Why do you want super delegates to overturn the will of the voters? That seems contrary to Bernie's core message. It's all very confusing.
    Comments like these emphasize how little you know about who and how Superdelegates work. Or is it what you want to believe?
    You are ignoring the point that Clinton has more votes from the people.
    And you are ignoring the point that it is fraud and voter suppression to call the race the night before 5 states vote, as well as counting SDs before they vote.
    I'm not ignoring that it is voter suppression at all.
    Please point out where you talk about voter suppression, then.

This isn't about who will win the nom, this is about a fair and just election process. Which Americans are being robbed of.
    I haven't felt the need to whine about it because it's nothing new and it's just reality.
    And THAT sort of 'asleep at the wheel' attitude is why the media and the system get away with it, pushing it further and further away from a democratic process every election cycle. Give yourself a pat on the back. NOT.
    Hahaha do you think pissing and moaning about how it is unfair is doing anything?
    The media doesn't effect me, 3 gigs of data/month is the only connection I have to the world outside my farm. They aren't swaying me at all, and the sheep will continue to bah and bleat at their TV's even with your petulant child's attitude flooding the Pearl Jam forum. Come down off your high horse.
    Good god, please. Check yourself!
    Free, if you have a problem with the election process, use your democratic right to free speech and propose something better. Highlighting problems can only take you so far in a reasonable debate; at a certain point, empathy really does run dry when complaints are constant but solutions aren't even put on the table.
    It's very interesting Benjs. Exactly how do you propose throwing actual solutions on the table when everyone here, including yourself, choose to attack the poster bringing up the electoral corruption problems rather than debate the topic itself? Does "shoot the messenger" have a nice ring to it?

Have you guys noticed Brian Lux gone, who left for this exact reason? Continually, you guys prefer to let loose on the messenger and NOT actually discuss the topic of election corruption. When we actually have a decent discussion without need to personally attack, that's when solutions can be proposed. But that can't Doesn't happen here.
    Excuse me? You haven't proposed a single solution. Had you brought up an electoral corruption solution, I'd have happily engaged you in debate - surely sometimes agreeing with you, other times not, and sometimes playing devil's advocate. You are not engaging in reasonable debate when you refuse to read linked statements accurately, be criticized with valid arguments, or provide your own evidence when asked to. And by the way - I'm saying this as a Bernie Sanders supporter...

And for the record - I've long felt this way about the way debates are held on here: too much focusing on problems, not enough on discussing solutions. I don't think it's just you, and I'm sure I've been guilty of it too.
    Stop the need to shoot the messenger and I would gladly discuss solutions. The ball is in your court.
    How does one actively combat electoral corruption, and/or how does a vote for Sanders contribute towards that? Now the ball's back in your court.

Not once have I suppressed a discussion about electoral corruption - I just feel that the cycle for solving a problem involves identifying a problem, providing sufficient evidence, seeking alternatives, logically exploring said alternatives (or providing situational evidence if applicable). You've done the first part, to some degree you've done the second - but change doesn't come from exposing issues exclusively: at a certain point, solutions must be
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

Note to Americans:

Made me :rofl:
    Help the Dem party... :rofl:
    Dude, let me remind you again that your candidate is running as a Democrat. Fuck you if you can't respect what that means if he actually won the nomination.

Whatever. I'm not responding to your bullshit anymore. I don't even care if I get slapped by Kat for saying this, but for the record, JearlPam isn't the only one who thought (on more than one occasion) "bi-polar" is the best way to characterize what the hell is wrong with you. And I say that as a diagnosed and successfully medicated bi-polar patient. You display classic signs of being in the midst of a full-blown manic episode, and I know better than to expect a rational discussion with crazy. Get some help.

So far, Hillary has won about 440,000 more recorded votes than Bernie in California. But several independent organizations estimate that up to 3 million ballots still need to be counted, primarily mail-in and provisional ballots (which overwhelmingly skew in favor of Bernie by an estimated 40% margin).

No, Hillary has not won California. We won't know the ultimate victor until as late as July 15th. In fact, given the above numbers, it is almost certain that Bernie actually won. Don't blindly buy into the misleading media narrative.

His California victory will mean nothing if Bernie is forced to suspend his campaign before the final results are released. So while the media spreads lies and the establishment pressures Bernie to exit the race, we must keep the revolution alive.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,397
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/282887-sanders-pledges-to-work-to-defeat-trump-after-meeting-obama
    Sanders said he phoned Clinton, who clinched the nomination this week, after Tuesday's primaries to congratulate her on her "strong campaign" and said they would speak soon about "how we can work together to defeat Donald Trump and to create a government that represents all of us and not just the one percent.”
    He said Trump “would be a disaster as president of the United States” and expressed confidence that voters would not support someone who insults women and minority groups.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Obama has endorsed Hillary
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,476

Obama has endorsed Hillary

well I guess that cinches Godfather's vote. :lol:
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

i'm confused. has she or hasn't she won the nom? if she hasn't, is it usual for a sitting prez to endorse a candidate that hasn't won the nom?

www.headstonesband.com

i'm confused. has she or hasn't she won the nom? if she hasn't, is it usual for a sitting prez to endorse a candidate that hasn't won the nom?

I think you're being serious and not a smart ass, so I'll answer:

She is the presumptive nominee. She has a majority of pledged delegates and super delegates. So unless 80% of the super delegates flip to Sanders and go against their commitment, she will be the formal nominee come July. It is not uncommon for a President to do this prior to the party convention. In modern political times, it's been about 50 years since a convention wasn't a forgone conclusion.
    mrussel1 said:

I think you're being serious and not a smart ass, so I'll answer:

She is the presumptive nominee. She has a majority of pledged delegates and super delegates. So unless 80% of the super delegates flip to Sanders and go against their commitment, she will be the formal nominee come July. It is not uncommon for a President to do this prior to the party convention. In modern political times, it's been about 50 years since a convention wasn't a forgone conclusion.
    yes, I was being serious. Thanks!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.